Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

Have there been any serious incidents that ostensibly could have been prevented by the police actually doing their jobs? What I've heard about the NYPD of late makes it seem like they could make this work stoppage permanent and it'd be a net good for everyone, but that's probably hyperbole.

Well as it is aimed at city government, not fulfilling duties that directly translate in to city revenue is actually a pretty good protest move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Look if they were smart people then they wouldn't be cops.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I don't think police officer is the same kind of holdover temp career as say teacher is.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

JT Jag posted:

She's not talking about Californians moving to Oregon though, she's repeating the dumb "everyone's moving to Texas where taxes are low and it's good" meme. Note that they are driving down and to the right in frame, that's the hint even if there's no big "TEXAS THIS WAY" sign.

Texas is the second fastest growing state pop wise and more people migrate to Texas than any other state :shrug:
http://www.governing.com/gov-data/census/2010-census-state-migration-statistics.html

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's true I do hate California.

I have no idea why people are moving here and I wish they weren't but it is factually correct that people move here more than anywhere else.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mellow Seas posted:

Conservatives in blue states, like Allie in the Illinois Mirror and Benson, are just the most aggravating pieces of poo poo. Every single thing out of their mouths is about how terrible their state is. Tom Foley has run two straight campaigns on the premise that Connecticut is terrible and businesses get cancer of the money the second they set foot here. Why don't you just get the gently caress out, conservatives? Oh, right, because states run by Republicans are horrid shitholes, because they're run by Republicans.

On the Nega-SA forums someone just posted this exact thing but about Bennett.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Jedit posted:

I think he means Something Sensitive, or whatever that "Lowtax and his goons are so mean so I'm making my own SA with rainbows and marshmallows and fluffy unicorns and you can all come and play with me" forum is.

Uh no I mean the theoretical exact opposite of here D&D where everyone is a strong conservative and they think the opposite things.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

New Bors

This is more or less exactly my feelings on NYPD's "strike".

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

loquacius posted:

Yeah uh these guys know it's not America the predator drones are flying over, right?

So naive...

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Monkey Fracas posted:

I can only hope their petulant display continues long enough to demonstrate that hauling in people for minor crimes doesn't really do a whole lot for society.

Haha like demonstrations of how austerity measures don't grow economies ended the practice worldwide forever?

Empiricism means nothing to ideology.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

loquacius posted:

I think the point is that they're cutting the city's income by not ticketing people for stuff. Which as a non-NYC-city-employee is fine by me!

Court costs and fees are a massive problem for low income people who get put into the criminal justice system, often putting them in jail for missing payments and fines. These are how governments pay for CJ rather than through a progressive tax system, and if you bring up just how punishing and onerous these fees and fines are on the people who bear them they just say "well maybe they shouldn't commit crimes then :colbert:"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

loquacius posted:

Y'know, I'm beginning to suspect that the slowdown is actually the NYPD's way of responding to criticism without looking like they're caving to pressure. As Bors pointed out, it is a move toward more liberal policing practices, but this way they can still act like they're standing up to the mayor and stuff!

No it's exactly not that.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Zeroisanumber posted:

I'm not a supporter of John Boehner, but at least he knows how to lead a caucus away from their worst impulses most of the time and how to thwart his political rivals. But Louie Gohmert is just a loudmouthed, grandstanding idiot, and it says a lot about the GOP polity that the base is totally behind the idea of making a barking non-entity Speaker of the House.

I have no idea what the appeal of him is to anyone, anywhere.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

D.N. Nation posted:

Gohmert got all of three votes just now for the Speakership. Nice going, Branco.

I want you to find five lies in that political cartoon and then do the same in every single Branco cartoon ever.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

These types of posts are necessary from time to time as it reminds us why political cartoonists feel the need to excessively label.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Bad Reporter: Worst art, best jokes.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I know that Gary Larson has asked us politely not to post his cartoons on the internet but I think an exception can be made here. Does anyone know when this cartoon was published and if it caused any kind of controversy?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Madmarker posted:

I believe he's referring to the Super Best Friends episode, where Muhammad, Jesus, Buddha and Seaman (he he he), were super heroes on a team together.

Not the family guy episode you are referencing.

Maybe the extremists only get really salty about it if it is intended to be disrespectful as opposed to just a caricature? I know that it's haram either way but maybe they let it slide if you aren't specifically trying to troll Muslims.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ballz posted:

I've never seen that strip mentioned as one of his "controversial" ones. Probably because this is just a random dude named Mohammed and not the prophet (unless there's some story in the Quran about a mountain ringing-and-running on him).

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/if_the_mountain_won%27t_come_to_Muhammad

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Broken Cog posted:

Yeah, this is one of the problems I had with the shows when I tried watching them. Good satire makes you take a step back(often by employing shock value) to actually think about what is being depicted and maybe go "You know, this is pretty hosed up." You don't get that when the butt of the jokes is just "Well, here's some dumb thing a politican said." It's toothless and pointless as anything but pure entertainment.

Last Week Tonight is doing the best American political satire at the moment.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Broken Cog posted:

Hm, I haven't checked that out. Maybe I should have a look. Thanks.

They distinguish themselves from the Daily show by doing 15 minute long form pieces where they really drill down on a specific issue. They also include a lot of international issues and they say gently caress a whole bunch.

I think all their long form features are on Youtube and honestly they are all excellent, but this is one of my favorites
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIMgfBZrrZ8

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

imgur had a collection of cartoons from Arabic newspapers in response to the attack.

"But... he called me a terrorist!"

"This is how we avenge the cartoonists' killer"

"In support of Charlie Hebdo"

"Freedom up in the air"

"Long live satire!"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Haha sure
http://imgur.com/a/zd5rl/

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I don't read Arabic.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rorus Raz posted:

Robert "The Blank" Gorrell is able to make a paycheck by turning in the laziest loving dreck imaginable. Last year, he put out two cartoons that were white space with captions. He traces stuff from GIS.

William "The DeviantArt Bandit" Day managed to get over $40,000 from crowdfunding despite his output that year being endless repeats of the same copy-paste flip-flopping Romney, "tongue-tied" Romney, and endless "elephant wears a wingnut" cartoons.

Yaakov loving Kirschen has been working a steady gig for 40 years, and yet he cannot properly use the fill tool and his work wouldn't pass even an introductory art class.

There is absolutely no way on this planet that newspaper and sites cannot do better in terms of political cartoon hiring. Not when this man is somehow getting paid.

Deep Hurting isn't syndicated is he? I mean, I know he's controversial here but I don't think you can deny the dude is a talented artist. Kreider only published in alt weeklies, so I don't know what they are looking for.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

People of Color.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

prefect posted:

Kreider's retired from cartooning, isn't he?

He is, but he's an unbelievably talent artist. I mean, I guess his content is going to be way to outre for newspapers, but when guys like Branco and LIccar and Catalino and Gorrell are making mint when there are artists who are ten times as good, you just wonder why this isn't a merit based industry.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I loving LOOOOVE ISLAM.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Kurtofan posted:

I loving love how conservatives love us now, by the way :allears:

Yeah the best thing Obama could've done for US-France relations was snub them. He should start snubbing all the countries he needs conservatives to be favorable to.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Michelle Obama came out in support for drinking water and they threw a fit about how it's not REALLY THAT good for you and you PROBABLY don't need it.

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/are-conservatives-really-going-after-michelle-obama-for-promoting-water/

EDIT: Have some hilarious quotes

Well, fish do gently caress in it.

The conservative movement in America is literally insane.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Haha all three of these are great.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Will no one rid me of this turbulent cartoonist? - Henry II

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

spacetoaster posted:

More like guilt by being totally fine with this dude for years, then it became a public embarrassment and dropping him.

Bro if you don't see how a black man who grew up in the 50's came to the conclusion "God drat America" then I don't know what history you've been reading.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What religion is Jeremiah Wright?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Kopijeger posted:

What is this one trying to say? I had to google the words, and it seems that the woman in front is supposed to be Michelle Obama referring to her husband's election. I'm guessing that the backgrounds are supposed to be reasons to be proud of the USA, but what has the fall of the Berlin Wall, the Statue of Liberty (a 19th century gift from France) and some generic soldiers to do with "my country" in "my adult lifetime"? And he seems to imply that the Space Shuttle is something to be proud of, which is arguable given the many flaws of the system and the shuttle program in general?

It means that America has been great since 1776 but Michelle Obama didn't think so until the US got way too politically correct and elected a black man president out of white guilt.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Portals posted:

Speaking of holocaust analogies:

Someone told me that Russian doesn't have articles which is why the stereotypical Russian-accented English is like that.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

WitchFetish posted:

Seeing as there is still doubt on whether or not Latuff is a dumb loving idiot who romanticizes literal terrorists in the most laughable way possible, allow me to post the rest of the series :

*unsheathes dragunov* My my, looks like we have some pesky americans here. Time to show you the dark power of Juba the baghdad sniper...
*kills all americans*
*adjusts keffiyeh*
"Eh, nothing personel kid..."

Reminder that American troops literally pissed on the bodies of dead combatants.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

alnilam posted:

That is bad, and romanticizing people who kill Iraqis is bad, and... maybe romanticizing people who kill Americans is bad, too? I'm... confused.... which one is the good guy who i should romanticize.... :psyduck:

Latuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

spacetoaster posted:

What? You want to not piss on woman beaters? :mad:

No I don't think we should piss on the bodies of dead American servicemen.

• Locked thread