Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

HotCanadianChick posted:

Plus Red Wings, like most higher end boots, are made to be resoled and repaired

While I appreciate that, I seem to not be able to find my local cobbler's shop anymore.

So I'll stick to boots that wear well for a long time....who cares if the can be easily repaired or not.

Currently pleased with pair number <who knows> of Carolinas. Just add kevlar laces and they are perfect for quite a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

kastein posted:

I need more information immediately :stare:

It was so awesome when I found these because I always had the exact same problem.

Ironlaces. That's not the only brand, but that's what I've got at the moment.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

cursedshitbox posted:

Found a $550 headlight for $150 shipped ot my door.

http://imgur.com/a/I5Amq

quasi-moto can see!

That's gonna light up the dirt really well the next time you drop your bike.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

You don't use full power all the time on a track.

It's using gas+electric when you're putting the hammer down exiting a corner, and then recharging from the gas engine (maybe regen braking....I'm not sure it has that) when you aren't using all 700+ HP available.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

some texas redneck posted:

We're supposed to get snow on Thursday. :woop:

You may recall I was there for your last snow storm.

0/10 WOULD NOT RECOMMEND

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

leica posted:

I had to wear pants today because it's cold, wtf is going on.

At least I didn't poo poo myself to death I guess.

gently caress you and your Florida weather.

(please send me some. PLEASE.)

kastein posted:

The idiot who wrote the codebase I am presently working on really needs to take a flying gently caress at a mile of burning dicks. And then drown. In a toilet. A toilet that's on fire.

It's put together all backwards and wrong and upside down and I just triggered 100 compile errors and a couple dozen multiply defined symbol linker errors by changing the order two header files are included in. Rube Goldsbergian isn't even half the story here.

Says everyone who has inherited someone else's code.

The compile errors are because most of the dependencies are still on his workstation. You really thought you could compile this somewhere else?

All code is terrible. This is what we do.

At least I leave fun comments in mine.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I just got an invitation to complete my "personality profile" for one of the upcoming team building workshops, so I can know what kind of person I am and learn to accept the disabilities of other people.

It didn't actually give me the result when I finished.

There are only four possible results as well - that seems like a subtle and well-thought-out way to differentiate the diversity of humanity.

Undoubtedly some manner of Myers-Briggs personality sorter that only first year psych students and upper management that has been to a seminar place any value on.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Mat_Drinks posted:

I typically will make fun of sigma six agile black belt whosawhatsit stuff that feels like it's one step removed from being on a late night television informercial, but my team adopted some of SCRUM about two and a half years ago in part by having a 15 minute collaborative meeting every morning and if you're given flexibility in how you implement it, it can be nice. For us it ends up being a forum to talk about challenges, issues, resolution and plans and has ended up being a great way to educate my newbies, get the veterans to make sure they're sharing knowledge (and work) and make sure everyone is on the same page before any meetings that day.

So I guess maybe I drank the kool aid a bit, but only because it smelled and looked nice.

Having a short morning "open" meeting is hardly a new idea, regardless of what you call it or which management school/dev religion you got the idea from (which also obviously didn't create the idea).

These kinds of things just seem like new idea in the it/software dev field because the field itself is still in it's infancy and is primarily staffed by young people who have never been in another line of work.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Cakefool posted:

Why would you choose to pay £7k for that for the engine when you can get a complete working engine/ecu for £500 out of a RR?

That's probably a lot like every car in the US with an LSx swap claims it's a CORVETTE MOTOR (hint: it probably came out of a base model GMC 1500 pickup)

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BoostCreep posted:

I can't tell if everyone from AI got together in one RV whether we'd all get along really well or immediately want to kill each other.

Are those two things mutually exclusive?

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I plan on just using it for auto body work, so I shouldn't be pegging out the duty cycle.

Even for bodywork, remember that they lie about the duty cycle. I mean, yeah....the machine keeps running but the arc sucks and everything turns into a splatterfest. With whatever machine you get I suggest spending a lot of time doing long welds on nice clean scrap to figure out just how far you can push it before things go lovely. I found that out the hard way on my 120v flux core machine, but now that I know to look for it/about when it's going to happen it's really not a problem. Not like I'm some volume/production shop. I can just drink a beer while it cools off.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BrokenKnucklez posted:

This is my logic. Yeah I would love to have a huge 240v machine with 100% duty cycle at X voltage and all the fanciest poo poo they make. But then thats going to cost me at least 3,000 and I may not have 240v service to where I need it for a while, etc, so I figure its easier to just drink a beer while the machine cools off.

Worked for me for quite some time.

Although I do have to say I'm loving the poo poo out my new machine.

Duty cycle? I'm more concerned with my power bill.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Do you plan on building ships? Good lord thats a nice machine.

I plan on building whateverthefuck I want.

I wanted a TIG machine, and while inverters are nice they aren't all that great in the lower price ranges. I asked around and found that a guy that frequents the same bar is a retired machinist and has all kinds of poo poo in a sea container that he's been sitting on for nearly 10 years now. He doesn't necessarily want to part with any of it, but if it's going to a good home he'll reluctantly sell it as he needs extra cash.

He sold me that tank for $700. It came with a foot pedal ($250), 100 ft or more of 1/0 wire between the ground and stick stinger (another $300 or ), a cart, regulators and a full argon tank (owned not leased). So at that price I basically got the welder for free.

Having an inverter, especially for aluminum (variable frequency and the ability to set clean/penetration) would be awesome, but there's been a lot of just about everything welded with these old beastly transformer machines so I figure I can get by just fine.

Hilarity specs: it weighs 500+ lbs (it's got a lifting eye on it and I had to hook it with the engine crane to get it off the truck into my garage) and has a max amp draw in the low 80s at 240v.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

cursedshitbox posted:

Wanna build a 1/1 scale of Galactica outta rover parts and random bike poo poo?

I don't see why not. As long as it's BSA bike poo poo.

Where can we pick up some cheap turbofans? Obviously would have to be Rolls Royce.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

cursedshitbox posted:

Theres an airport not too far from the house. Think I could tote one home on the bike?

Mount it to the bike and you'll get home faster.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BrokenKnucklez posted:

How much service do you have to your shop? I know most homes are around 200 amps, and a giant majority of sub panels are 100 amp. I know your new shop is set up well though.

Not enough for full tilt. I have a 100A panel out here, but only fed it with wire appropriate for 50 amps (which is what it's broken at on the main panel). I've run it on the medium setting at 100% on the dial and it melts the poo poo out of 1/2" mild steel. I'm not sure I'll need more than that, although thicker aluminum work supposedly gets nasty (it transmits heat too well so you need to crank the power).

But if I want to run much more power on this thing I'll need a different torch also and will probably want a watercooled one. Which means I'll obviously have to cobble a watercooler together out of rover/porsche parts. It came with a different torch that's a reasonable duty cycle at max amperage, but it's huge (air cooled) and has the worst loving cable ever - it's PVC and you can't even bend the thing when it's cold out. My main torch that I got for it is this bastard with a superflex cable, which weighs almost nothing and you can bend into a 2" radius or less.

As far as plasma cutters go........that's definitely on the list. But I think a nice metal bandsaw will come first.

drat that's a nice setup. Looks like you're a superflex whore too. What are you running for a torch and cooler?

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I have never mig welded before, but I could do decent with a stick, and from what I have been told, if you can do stick, mig is a breeze.

Making passable MIG welds is super easy, especially with ANY prior welding experience. It comes down to learning how to set up the machine and practice, practice, practice. TIG will be easier to learn to some extent with prior stick experience (at least it seems like that's what's helping me), although it's more like oxy fuel welding because you're feeding rod (never done that). I'm finding it a lot more challenging but way more satisfying than the electric glue gun (MIG). You have so much more control and if you're good enough and find the right filler can basically make any kind of metal stick to any other kind of metal.

And now I often find myself watching TV with a glove on feeding rod just to practice, because I'm a huge nerd like that.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I think I will save for the Hobart model with the built in compressor. Again, I don't think I will ever be hitting the 1/2 stuff, and mostly 1/4 is honestly the biggest I will most likely go.

The old Jeep resto garage I occasionally do work at has the Hobart with the compressor built in and it's a fantastic little machine. I've never done anything more than 14 gauge with it, but it definitely has the power to do more. I don't know how much more, but it's a great little box for what it is and absolutely the exact thing I'm looking for unless something heavier duty falls into my lap.....and even then it might be a tough decision because having the pump built in means it's really portable.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

keykey posted:

There are no downsides to this thing, why can't any major manufacturers build things like this?

Probably because it's hilariously out of compliance with FCC guidelines.

I might have to pick one of those up.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

keykey posted:

Its 2 weeks were up 3 years ago.

In that case, you're now sterile.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

West SAAB Story posted:

Sure.

Just sudo gzip -dc file.tar.gz | tar xvpf - -C /

Same as it was in 1994.

Or for those of us who have read a man page since 1994, we use tar zxpf rather than piping gzip to it.

But whatever.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

West SAAB Story posted:

Eat dicks. Solaris 2.6 5/98 (and FreeBSD 3.5) will return again! Multiplatform compatibility without relying on uname (which NeXTStep didn't have), bitches.

It returned two months ago as Solaris 11.2. I'm pretty sure the only difference between then and now is zfs and the version number.

West SAAB Story posted:

You use the v flag. Admit it.

With reckless abandon because it makes it look like I'm doing something while I'm sitting around waiting for poo poo to happen.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

the spyder posted:

CK20 and a home made cooler using a old Procon pump, power steering cooler, 120v Muffin fan, and a SS baking dish. Works awesome.

Hell yeah. Awesome.

That's what I'm talking about.

Gonna need to cobble one of those together at some point. I have a 944 AC condenser that would be perfect for the job, and I'm sure I have an extra Taco pump around here intended as a spare for my radiant heat.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

I haven't had a landline in years but I'm half tempted to get one again 'for emergencies', especially once my daughter is old enough to be home alone (which is still years away). Of course, by the time she's ready for that, she's probably at least ready for a dumbphone of her own.

It's way cheaper to leave a burner prepaid on a charger (or an extra dump cell phone on your account - most are like $10 a month when added) than to pay for a land line.

Since I work in VoIP I ported our land line number to a cheap VoIP provider, pulled the wiring at the NID outside and hijacked the inside wiring onto the ATA. Nobody knows the difference and it costs me like $2 a month for what appears to everyone else to be a normal land line.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

meatpimp posted:

Edit: now that I re-read the second part of your post, it sounds like we have a similar setup, except mine's packaged and you rolled your own.

Yeah, sounds like it. Rolling your own is a good idea if you care about international rates, because they are usually way cheaper. I'm also not sure you can port your number to Ooma, and you are dependent on them staying in business/not getting any more scammy looking.

Also, you can pick up a good ATA for like $40.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

meatpimp posted:

The only thing I don't get with the cheapest Ooma package is names for Caller ID, it only shows the number, but the phones I use have a phonebook, so it's a one-time thing to add a caller's name.

The only thing sent from the far end carrier when you receive a call is the number. You have to do an "LNP dip" to get the caller name, and that costs money (not much, but it does cost some).

So....telco mumbo jumbo, but bottom line is that it costs something. I pay like $0.001 per lookup wholesale. .008 is a typical retail price.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Geirskogul posted:

Broke the rear window,

That SUCKS. Sorry to see it.

But just order some 550 "paracord" and window glass.

Then all you need is dish soap and maybe someone else to help you hold the window in.

You put the old window gasket on the new window then wrap the paracord around it. Lube the inside of the gasket with straight dish soap. Place the largest side (the bottom) on the ledge in position and then use the cord to pull the inside half of the gasket in as someone else holds the window up/to the car. Make sure the "other end" is inside the car so it doesn't slip. Just tie it off to the seat or something.

Sometimes you get ahead of the cord and need a bit of help.......try not to use a flat head screwdriver for this. Use a plastic tool or start over.

Once you've done this a couple of times it's easy.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Geirskogul posted:

This sounds really easy, but I looked at the silver lining of today's situation, and did this:

Am I going to hate myself more? There are surprisingly few videos online about popout window installation.

I think some years were riveted in (on the hinge side). Should be fine drilling those out and putting in pop rivets. Otherwise it's just screws.

So, hell yeah that should be easy.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

In California at least a private party can be a "dealer" out of their garage. The guy I bought my last motorcycle from was set up that way -- he'd buy, tune up and resell a couple of cars a month, but that was it. He was able to file all the registration paperwork himself just as if I'd bought the bike from a brick-and-mortar dealer, etc. Look into that?

I looked into that for PA. No-go. Sea of red tape, insurance and commercial property requirements. The used car industry must have a good lobby here.

kastein posted:

I've been using the hammer trick on balljoints/TREs, soft faced hammers on axleshafts, etc ever since. No issues.

I've only had that fail a few times, and when it has it's been easily taken care of by putting on a ball joint seperator like this:

Just give it some pressure, not enough to destroy things and then go back to hammering as your said. Hasn't failed yet.

cursedshitbox posted:

Hub seals? Meh. Beer 30 project. the bearing nut is like 2.5" though.

Yep.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

the spyder posted:

If you figure someone in my family or myself have put 320,000 miles on our F150 @ 15MPG average, with a $2/gal average over 17 years... That's $42.6k in fuel...

Holy poo poo, that's a depressing calculation. I guess bought my '97 F150 twice before I sold it. And that's with $2/gal fuel.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

They don't have any beef and when you try to do something like mix pretzel dough the little fiber gear inside burns out and then you have to tear it apart, crack open the gearbox and lube up R2D2's anus as you replace it while wondering if this is really how Americans view the world and if so finally understand why their society has collapsed.

KitchenAid Pro series have all metal gears and a circuit breaker (instead of using a fiber gear as a "fuse") and are hundreds of dollars cheaper than any small (proper) commercial mixer but very much the same/adequate in a well used home kitchen. As much as I'd love to have a nice commercial Hobart, it's just not worth the money at home. Unless you want something ancient and beat up looking.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

cursedshitbox posted:

He sent me a PM several days ago stating he was leaving..

I've heard this story before.

I believe it was the last probation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BrokenKnucklez posted:

What is the saying... Bentleys are for the drivers and Rolls for the Passengers? :wotwot:

Stop saying or even thinking about that right now for you own goddamn sake.

• Locked thread