Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

BTTFII lied, people died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

AAAAAAAH WHAT THE gently caress IT IS SNOWING OUTSIDE

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

cursedshitbox posted:

DUDE YOU'RE TELLING ME. I LIVE IN Vegas HELL

IT'S STARTING TO STICK TO poo poo

In all seriousness, in 30+ years in the metro area I've personally seen it snow twice before. Neither time has it ever remotely come down with any volume, nor has it stuck.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

"Does a bathroom"?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

fjelltorsk posted:

My boys refused to listen to me, and called an ambulance, i got to the ER and got 16 stitches, got some blood transfused. seems i have to do weekly transfusion. My blood counts are really bad.

Sounds like your boys were wise to make that call, though :ohdear:

gently caress cancer.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Tusen Takk posted:

Anyone have any good ideas of fun places to go in May?

Well, there's this thing in Indianapolis, but you probably haven't heard of it

:haw:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Good luck with that in MURICA.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

T1g4h posted:

Oh my god, I hope this ends up actually happening.

They shitcanned the Aerovette concept, let this finally be a thing. Hell, call it the Fiero for all I care, just make it happen :allears:

:psypop:

I don't believe it, even though that's pretty much the only thing it could be. Clearly a Corvette greenhouse flanked by a Holden Ute body for the test mule. gently caress, build it just like that.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

When the owner of your company tosses you the keyfob to a BMW i8... you don't ask questions, you just go. :stonk:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Clearly BMW is playing with the sound in that thing because I honestly had no idea it was only a three cylinder after I got out of it, it sounds like anything but when you lay into the throttle. The battery was pretty well drained and I only took it for about a three mile drive, but... yeah, I could live with a hybrid future like that. Getting out of it is a bitch and a half because the doorsill is so tall.

More than anything else the best way to describe the power delivery is "smooth". The only thing about the car that was a little jerky is trying to navigate at super-slow parking lot speeds. They dialed the 'automatic creep' a bit hard for my liking but I'm sure it's something you get used to with time.

Believe me, I would not turn down some time in that car on a proper road, instead of the midday freeway next to work.

The only thing the car is missing is a ridiculous lumpy idle, which it will never really have.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, one of my coworkers mentioned that, and it makes sense. No loving way can a car sound that good.

And unfortunately the engine never seemed to actually idle - either full tilt or off - so even with the lumpy VVT you wouldn't get it without some serious hacking.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I'm reasonably happy with the rx-safety prescription goggles I got, and I managed to lose my prescription sunglasses during some last-minute Christmas shopping. I need to sit down and take some measurements off of my regular glasses and try ordering those as well.

Is there really anything vision insurance covers other than eye exams and glasses? Even on the with-insurance rate, the price I paid for my last set of glasses was stupid high and I'd be way better off just ditching the insurance, getting my exams done at Costco for ~$60, and ordering my glasses online.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

DJ Commie posted:

I have a complete machine in that era (C2Q 9550 as I remember) I got from our moderator a few years ago. Want it?

Ha, I'd nearly forgotten about that box. Still chugging along eh?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Raluek posted:

If you have a compatible motherboard, this may be of interest to you. Also, this if you decide to go through with it.

I just flashed back to the time when I had a ~1Ghz Tualatin-core Celeron, in a 370-370 socket adapter, in a 370-slot1 adapter, in an Abit BH6. Gotta love the 440BX.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Whole cow milk is delicious. I don't care if it kills me.

Since you're local: get thee to AJs. Or the dairy itself if you live way out west.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Maker Of Shoes posted:

:stare:

Oh my god why did I not know about this? Buying this tonight. Post haste.

Edit: Is that rootbeer milk?!

Rootbeer is good, but the pro choice is orange.

They spent a lot of time / money restoring some old bottling hardware to be able to put it in glass bottles the way god intended milk to be delivered. Mooecow, if you ever do a resto project on something like that, post it in here dammit. :colbert:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Winter is when Arizona is at its best.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

rscott posted:

who bought the av

I have no way to know for sure but I'm pretty sure I don't need three guesses.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Nah, the purchasing system has next to fuckall to do with the forums, and mods have no access to it. It would basically take Lowtax sifting through purchase histories to try and figure out who.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

HotCanadianChick posted:

Anyone who hasn't already cut the cord by now is basically living in dinosaur land because they're afraid of change (i.e. my parents). I'm reminded of just how godawful broadcast/cable TV is every time I visit my parents' house and quickly get annoyed by anything on TV constantly getting interrupted by obnoxious commercials every 10 minutes. You have to be a masochist to deal with that poo poo just to watch a TV show.

I haven't had a landline in years but I'm half tempted to get one again 'for emergencies', especially once my daughter is old enough to be home alone (which is still years away). Of course, by the time she's ready for that, she's probably at least ready for a dumbphone of her own.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Geirskogul posted:

and motherfucking pirate fairies.

As a parent of a two year old girl, I am so sorry.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Actually running. Sure, it was smoking rather heavily but under it's own power!

The classic insurance exemption for emissions is wonderful :allears:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

cursedshitbox posted:

NV anything (even awesome moldsmobile 350 diesels) newer than 68' gets the sniff.
You can order street rod plates, or classic plates given its 20 years or older and smog it one time then no more.

NV's almost as strict as AZ, drat. It's '67-up here, but instead of having to buy a classic plate (which you can get as long as the vehicle is 25 years old, but has no impact on emissions) you have to buy a limited-use classic insurance policy to cover the vehicle. It's been long enough since I did this that I can't recall if they made you pass one last test for it or not.

CommieGIR posted:

So, my 1990 Audi is 24 years old, had my birthday been in December, it would have had to pass the sniff, at least for that year. Since my birthday is in March, it would technically be 25 then, it is exempt from emissions.

Its a combination of your birthday (all your vehicles registration expires the month after your birthday) and the age of the vehicle.

That is the most asinine thing ever :psyduck:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Some say that he tried catnip once, but didn't inhale... and that he once used a Ferrari as a litter box. All we know is, he's called The Stig!

Condolences, CT.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

ssjonizuka posted:

Holy poo poo, real life spin tires!

Was going to say that exact same thing. When I first saw the title I was thinking "so walk your rear end out there and pick it up". I didn't realize people were driving R/C cars long distances with FPV setups now.

Which is pretty much what I always wanted to do as a kid with a TC3 Rally kit, so, that's awesome.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Maker Of Shoes posted:

The best part? That isn't mustard. :allears:

Jesus pantshitting Christ. :cripes:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

some texas redneck posted:

Pennzoil Platinum Pure Plus was a little cheaper this time around, and claims to be a synthetic made from a base of natural gas (yet still synthetic?). Claims to meet all kinds of OEM specs (including GM dexos1). Anyone happen to run an analysis with Blackstone with this stuff yet?

I've been running it for years now (in the NB, MS3, LS1, CR-V, and WJ) and never had a problem. Mobil actually filed a FTC complaint ages ago that the base stocks that other companies (Castrol at the time, but I'm pretty sure Pennzoil does it now too) weren't really 'synthetic' because they were highly refined oils instead. FTC ruled that it wasn't deceptive to call Syntec synthetic, and eventually Mobil started doing the same thing. Modern additive packages and whatnot mean that they all work just drat fine anyway.

The only one of the above cars to have ever leaked any oil is the LS1, which I think has a super tiny leak on the front main seal. I'm sure it has more to do with the fact that the engine is 15 years old and right about 20,000 total miles.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

88h88 posted:

I hope you get your poo poo sorted and get to shout at your kids for doing similarly amazing things.

A thousand times this, kick cancer's rear end.

Goober Peas posted:

I owe $1. The difference between owing $500 and owing $1 was keeping itemized receipts of all purchases this year for the sales tax deduction. The IRS 'standard' sales tax deduction was off by about 40%.

I've kicked the idea around of doing this a few times but it seems like the ROI in terms of time might be mind-boggling. How did you keep track of all of it, or did you shove it all in a shoebox and enter it all in at the end of the year?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Cat Terrist posted:

Doesnt a proper Pay As You Go system exist in the USA?

Come on CT, you've been reading AI long enough to know the answer to that :v:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Fo3 posted:

Is it true that mortgages are tax deductable in the US, or something along those lines?

Mortgage interest is tax deductible, yes. It's not huge since it just reduces your taxable income (as opposed to a tax credit that actually reduces your taxes) and only comes into play if you itemize deductions... but you'd have to have a drat small mortgage bill to still come out ahead by not itemizing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3698285

• Locked thread