Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Huh. I already have a 360 pad too...

Maybe one day I'll finish one of these notoriously hard games which I've never finished, like Super Mario World or Super Metroid. Thanks for the assurances. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Maybe this year is the year I get back into form speedrunning Phantom Brave and submit it for a *GDQ.

Who am I kidding, I won't.

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

I'm sure this was mentioned before in this beast of a thread but everyone needs to watch this run of Floating Runner. This totally made my day, Medibot is so good. Also featuring Studio!

PS: Studio I love you

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Trying to do a 100% run of Sonic and Knuckles + Sonic 3. The second super emerald stage is a bitch and a half and I remain unconvinced that it was intended to be beaten by human intelligence.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
So is that commented list of "what's hot to watch" going to be put in the second post or did that get scrapped? I've been watching some runs every so often but it'd help to know what are the truly good ones to not skip. I've tended to skip stuff I've not played since I just don't have that same interest as I would with something like Zelda or Super Metroid, but some of the best ones I've seen so far(Tetris, Battleblock, Boshy) have been games I've not played. I tried watching some runs of games that looked interesting and had neat glitches, but then the commentating or general tone of the room was garbage. Like that...gently caress, what was it...the japanese platformer that never came to the US that had a wizard girl, the name escapes me. That seemed like a pretty fun one but the commentating was kinda crappy/way too injokey to really get into, and the stonefaced people in the background any time I glanced over at the couch stream didn't help.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
Are you talking about Super Marisa World?

Umihara Kawase and the Ninja Gaiden speedrun.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I think he means the Magical Pop'N run.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

HGH posted:

I think he means the Magical Pop'N run.

That's the one, that looks like a decently fun game, but the commentators weren't very good.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Anyone get (or even get an email about) their AGDQ shirts from the yetee yet?

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Crain posted:

Got one on Monday.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Crain posted:

Ordered three on the 9th, no shipping notification yet.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I ordered mine on the 5th, got a tracking number on the 12th. According to the tracking number, it was sent to USPS on the 15th and just now departed from the USPS location on the 18th. Nothing after that. So looks like it takes a little bit.

I honestly had forgotten I even ordered the shirts until just now.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
I just want to say that whoever is uploading the videos to the official GDQ youtube channel is doing a fantastic job and I'm glad to see they're all getting added so quickly this year.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Crain posted:

I got my AGDQ shirts from Yetee last Friday. I haven't gotten the Yetee package that came in the AGDQ Humble Bundle, though.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Crain posted:

Got an e-mail about it 7½ hours ago.

For everyone waiting for that run list in the second post it's supposedly still being worked on. At least that's what the four tabs I have open for specifically that reason tries to tell me.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

Tracula posted:

I just want to say that whoever is uploading the videos to the official GDQ youtube channel is doing a fantastic job and I'm glad to see they're all getting added so quickly this year.

I have an upload script now that takes care of most of the grunt work. Plus I'm not really doing the tiered thing I was doing last time, everything's just 720p or higher.

I've had a couple of requests to upload 360p versions to archive, though, so maybe I'll do that after I get everything else squared away.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I just finished the Kaizo Mario run and moved on to the next, New Super Mario Bros Wii, and I am totally blanking on the music playing at the start of the video, can anyone tell me? I KNOW what it is, but I am just completely brain farting on what it's from, it's an ending theme of some sort and I've definitely heard it before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apnPMUsRm94

AccountingNightmare
Oct 2, 2006

NOT ENOUGH RED ORBS ARGH

Captain Invictus posted:

I just finished the Kaizo Mario run and moved on to the next, New Super Mario Bros Wii, and I am totally blanking on the music playing at the start of the video, can anyone tell me? I KNOW what it is, but I am just completely brain farting on what it's from, it's an ending theme of some sort and I've definitely heard it before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apnPMUsRm94

That's the ending theme for Super Mario Land.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYtBAbqJO9k&t=27s

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I KNEW it was a Mario game! That explains it, I haven't played that game in probably twenty years. Thanks man!

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Jan 22, 2015

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Finally got a notification that my shirts shipped. No tracking number however even though I'm in the US...

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

They're probably not used to getting 3000? orders in a week so I don't mind being patient. A shotgun email about the delay would be nice though.

JesseHechtCREATIVE
Feb 20, 2013

​ Creative New Content Weekly

Cuisine
Reviews
Entertainment
Animation
Toys
Images
Videogames
Everything!
Just learned that the save / kill the animals 10k donation was retracted... Why?

Also, aside from Ninja Gaiden (it was amazing), any other agdq videos from this (or any other year) that I should watch? Thanks.

EDIT: Sorry, one last question: When are the prizes being announced?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Zorglorfian posted:

Just learned that the save / kill the animals 10k donation was retracted... Why?

It wasn't.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Zorglorfian posted:

Also, aside from Ninja Gaiden (it was amazing), any other agdq videos from this (or any other year) that I should watch? Thanks.

EDIT: Sorry, one last question: When are the prizes being announced?
All these questions and more can be answered if you....

Read The Thread! :toot:

UraniumAnchor posted:

Alright, short, quick summary of what went wrong with the donation tracker.

There's was a latent bug in the way that incoming Paypal notifications were processed, and one "bad" notification (not really bad but it was enough to trigger the bug) led to the creation of a donor that was in a corrupted state.

Due to details I'll go over later, that corrupted donor was enough to prevent anybody who had not donated in the past from successfully donating. I'm not 100% sure on when this happened, but judging from the Paypal notification logs it started happening on the 8th.

After sifting through some of the logs, there may be as much as :siren: $427k :siren: in donations that never got properly processed until I fixed the bug.

That said, we still have all of the notifications and can potentially "replay" them to get them properly sorted. Some of them will get replayed by Paypal itself, which is why the donation total is still rising so much even after the stream went down, as we're now getting donations from the last X hours that are being properly handled.

tl;dr: gently caress everything I'm going to bed

UraniumAnchor posted:

Grand Prizes will get drawn after OOT so that we can announce them, but the rest will get drawn at some yet-to-be-determined date after the marathon.

Azazell0 posted:

Here's my list of must-see runs:

- Ninja Gaiden relay race
- Tetris block
- Town with no name
- SMB 2 : Lost levels
- Mega Man 1&5
- Shovel Knight (loved the devs pitching in)
- Battletoads (both arcade and co-op)
- Commander Keen block

... okay, I'll stop before I list half the event.

Dias posted:

Kingdom Hearts 2 apparently (didn't watch it), Vanquish, blindfolded OoT. Most runs were fine, but those were the most remarkable from what I could gather.

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Some recommendations:

Uncharted
Kazio Mario
Sonic Advance 2
Monkey Ball
Mega Man 7
Majora's Mask

Kikas posted:

Oh and for recommended viewing I'd say the "must watch" are
-Tetris Block obviously
-Dark Forces 2
-TAS bot block
-I Wanna Be The Boshy
-Super Mario Bros: Lost Levels
-Town With No Name
-Vanquish
And those are the runs I'd recommend, but not as much as the previous ones:
-Uncharted
-Sonic Heroes + glitch exhibition
-Battleblock Theater
-Gimmick!
-Kaizo Mario
-Morrowind
-Super Monkey Ball Deluxe
-Shovel Knight
-Half Life 2 Episode 2
-Spyro The Dragon
-Pokemon Red by Werster
-GTA Vice City

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

Going to second a lot of posts here. My list of absolute must watch runs:

Tetris (no question, my favorite)
TASBot
I Wanna Be The Boshy
Morrowind
Goldeneye
Vice City

And then good but not mandatory:

Blood
Duke Nukem 3D
Symphony of the Night
Aperature Tag (called "Setup Portal" on the schedule for some reason)
Blindfolded OOT Child Dungeons

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Here's my pastebin. If something obvious is missing, it's probably because I didn't see it and thus didn't feel qualified to rank it in my ultra sophisticated two pile sorting: http://pastebin.com/sECAHBmn

victrix posted:

:siren: Watch the loving Ninja Gaiden Relay and Tetris Grand Masters. Do it! :siren:

flatluigi posted:

http://pastebin.com/nPxaxi1u here's all my recommendations

Comrade Question posted:

Best run overall for me was KH2FM, but only if you're familiar with the game, otherwise you probably won't pick up on how amazing those runners were. Great commentary as well.

Jedi Knight was an all around good run and the first one that I really enjoyed.

Ninja Gaiden race was exciting throughout.

Yoshi's Island was good for showing off another category and the commentary, the race itself wasn't that exciting.

Was looking forward to the MM5 race, but ohon just owned everyone without problem, making for a pretty boring race.

Binding of Isaac was a trainwreck and makes me all the more glad Minecraft didn't make it in.

FailAtMagic posted:

Going from earliest to last:

Tasbot because Tasbot
Uncharted because pretty cool glitches
Star Wars: Jedi Knight - Dark Forces II very fast run
Battleblock Theater for the incredibly funny interaction with the devs
I wanna be the Boshy very good run of a bullshit difficult precise platformer and great commentary from the runner
All the games in the arcade block
Tetris: The Grandmaster exhibition you have to watch this
Shovel Knight nice run of a unique game with dev commentary
The awful games block but especially Town with no name
Ninja Gaiden relay race incredible race
punch out wii very skillful run
Castlevania Sotn race also a great race
Half life 2 ep 2 nice use of the source engines quirks runner and couch have great chemistry
Setup portal 2 players one controller enough said
Trials evolution good run of a very hard game
Vanquish soda% into handholding%
Dark souls 2 any% glitch less again very good run of a hard game
Dark souls 2 glitched so you know why they run glitch less
Pokemon green because what
Tasbot 2

IcePhoenix posted:

My watching was kind of sporadic but of the things I saw: Banjo Kazooie, Uncharted, Rogue Legacy, Umihara Kawase, Tetris, Shovel Knight, Ninja Gaiden Relay Race, Mario RPG, Blindfolded OoT.

Mario RPG was probably my favorite but I am a big fan of that game so I am probably biased. I thought the commentary and gameplay were both stellar, though.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

CrashCat posted:

All these questions and more can be answered if you....

Read The Thread! :toot:

It's a 300 plus page thread of 90 percent reactions and complaining, no one's going to read the thread.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

pointlessone posted:

It's a 300 plus page thread of 90 percent reactions and complaining, no one's going to read the thread.
Which is why I did it for him! :ssh:

Heteroy
Mar 13, 2004

:fork::fork::fork:
Yam Slacker
If you enjoy failure, you can watch the Zelda 2 run. I think it was under 15 minutes, and the runner utilizes a glitch that also prevents the screen from scrolling in one direction. He errs in a way that kills the run, so he just had to put down the controller because he couldn't progress any further. Nothing amazingly entertaining, but it was short. (and also a run of the best zelda game)

JesseHechtCREATIVE
Feb 20, 2013

​ Creative New Content Weekly

Cuisine
Reviews
Entertainment
Animation
Toys
Images
Videogames
Everything!

CrashCat posted:

Which is why I did it for him! :ssh:

Thank you so much CrashCat. That was nice of you. (and it's true that finding anything is a needle in a haystack in this thread) :)

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Heteroy posted:

If you enjoy failure, you can watch the Zelda 2 run. I think it was under 15 minutes, and the runner utilizes a glitch that also prevents the screen from scrolling in one direction. He errs in a way that kills the run, so he just had to put down the controller because he couldn't progress any further. Nothing amazingly entertaining, but it was short. (and also a run of the best zelda game)

This post makes me so mad.

For real though, the failed run was a glitch run for (I think) a donation incentive. The regular run went pretty well and was worth watching.

Were there any mercy kills this year? I am still only on like day 3 of the recordings.

CarpetCrawler
Feb 18, 2013

Heteroy posted:

On the bright side, that accidental glitched error helped him discover a new/different route afterwards, and now it's possible to beat the game in that category in a slightly faster time, so...

Heteroy
Mar 13, 2004

:fork::fork::fork:
Yam Slacker
If there were a way to objectively qualify video games, Zelda II is probably not all that high on the list, but I have a strange affection for it and Windwaker above the rest of the Zelda games.

I understand that things can't always work out the way you plan, especially under the pressure of playing at a live event. But it was an awkward moment and unfortunate that he couldn't finish the game at that point. Interesting that it led to him finding a more efficient path that helped his run time.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Jibo posted:

This post makes me so mad.

I too fume when someone calls Zelda II a good game, let alone the "best" one. lol

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Sire Oblivion posted:

I too fume when someone calls Zelda II a good game, let alone the "best" one. lol

Don't worry I called Shigeru Miyamoto on him so I think he'll go to jail for that.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Jibo posted:

Were there any mercy kills this year? I am still only on like day 3 of the recordings.

Lots of people did wish the second Isaac runner had mercy killed his run about 15 minutes earlier (but of course he stubbornly played on with the lovely items he got dealt).

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
When the woman racing him won they were still really far under estimate and i doubt the dude thought playing it all out would take as long as it did since he basically got the worst possible luck

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
During an AGDQ I would love a Super Metroid glitch exhibition donation incentive. Seeing the Golden Torizo input glitch and the one where you use the var-beam on a specific door to oddly recent the game state would be great.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Tracula posted:

During an AGDQ I would love a Super Metroid glitch exhibition donation incentive. Seeing the Golden Torizo input glitch and the one where you use the var-beam on a specific door to oddly recent the game state would be great.
They did the new memory glitch last summer as a bonus. The one where you use the X-Ray to win the game from the cave entrance.
e: http://youtu.be/546PeFCCkF0

VictualSquid fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Jan 23, 2015

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

It has arrived, the floodgate has been opened: https://forum.speeddemosarchive.com/post/agdq_2015_feedback.html

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

quote:

Bonus Stream

ded doggy. We wanted to try a different direction with bonus stream this time, making it less about speedruns and more about wacky games and multiplayer madness like it used to be about, but the community response to this was 99% of people leaving right after the main marathon ended. Between this, the staff being even more burnt out than usual as these events grow and more work is required to make them run, and the increasing need to start tearing down quicker, it seems best that bonus streams be discontinued at future events.

Sad, but not super surprising. It wouldn't surprise, honestly, if attendees started doing bonus streams at some local person's house after the event, and the GDQ Twitch account hosted them, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry
Somehow I won that Zelda book by donating 25 bucks one time right before I left work. I don't even like Zelda all that much.

• Locked thread