Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CarpetCrawler
Feb 18, 2013

Work has me scheduled during pretty much all of the runs I was wanting to see (Awful Games, NES blocks) so I'm kinda bummed about that. :smith: Sure, I could watch the VOD, but it's not the same at all!! Really good schedule this year though, the committee did a pretty great job of mixing in favorites/popular games with obscure stuff!! And hopefully Mike Uyama is able to make an appearance considering his recent health issues.

Also, F-Zero megablock will be interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarpetCrawler
Feb 18, 2013

beep by grandpa posted:

:( Just looked at the schedule and I'm disappointed Bonesaw isn't running anything this year. Him kicking off AGDQ14 with that Jak & Daxter run, a game I don't know anything about, was one of the most enjoyable runs of that year and I actually went back and watched it a second time last year :v:

He almost went, and even took donations to go, but decided to not go and instead use the donation money on a new capture card. I do believe this is the first time he's not going to be there in awhile.

CarpetCrawler
Feb 18, 2013

Eonwe posted:

so ive heard rumors that blueglass has been segregated to his own little area

Basically ever since AGDQ 2014 if you've noticed that Blueglass hasn't been on-camera as much, you're correct; but it's because he's been a sort-of member of the GDQ staff since then. He spends a fair bunch of time over at the donation tracker helping them out with that. So yeah, he isn't around in the audience as much but it's because he's doing other stuff for them. Plus the dude loves hanging out in the practice room.

CarpetCrawler
Feb 18, 2013

Al Borland posted:

I kinda want tos ee a speed run of castle crashers now.

It happened a few years back (I think feasel and duckfist were amongst the folks involved) and if I remember correctly it flopped pretty badly, which surprised people considering the runners involved. But this was many years ago and I imagine someone remembers it better than I.

CarpetCrawler
Feb 18, 2013

Sir Tonk posted:

Mike donation :3:

:unsmith: I'm glad that we got to hear from him.

CarpetCrawler
Feb 18, 2013

Critical posted:

I know I shouldn't be paying attention but Twitch chat absolutely despises this at this point. Kind of funny.

Anything longer than an hour makes Twitch chat want to see something else.

CarpetCrawler
Feb 18, 2013

Wonder what is causing this issue.

CarpetCrawler
Feb 18, 2013

Tracula posted:

What happened anyways? I tuned out for a bit and then I'm seeing the stream having an aneurysm.

The game sound is super slowed-down for some reason and they've been struggling for almost 20 minutes to get it fixed.

CarpetCrawler
Feb 18, 2013

ahahahahaha they're just going to do the run anyway, what a mess.

CarpetCrawler
Feb 18, 2013

all right, the slowed-down music is actually making this run kinda funny.

CarpetCrawler
Feb 18, 2013

Mr E posted:

What if I think the game is poo poo because of the gameplay not the anime, at least the commentary is better than most runs.

RaindropDry is a good dude and is pretty knowledgeable in his games, he's also the WR-holder for Rockman 4 Minus Infinity. Unfortunate that his GDQ debut is this messy.

CarpetCrawler
Feb 18, 2013

"this level is really great for casual play"

CarpetCrawler
Feb 18, 2013

Sentient Desk Lamp posted:

Shame that battletoads/river city ransom is on at like 5am here

:emo:

Yup, because of all of these PC issues I'm probably gonna miss out on River City Ransom and Snake Rattle 'n' Roll due to work. Oh well.

CarpetCrawler
Feb 18, 2013

Mr E posted:

Why is the NES block when I'm asleep, everything is terrible.

The long-tradition of putting most of the NES games in the middle of the night/early morning rearing its head again, basically.

CarpetCrawler
Feb 18, 2013

theultimo posted:

And the awful block :/ that should be primetime.

I'm just glad I don't have work during Awful Block, barring any weather emergencies!! I'll probably be able to catch all of it. Karnov and Trio the Punch will be wonderful.

CarpetCrawler
Feb 18, 2013

Definitely give Gyre a follow, there are some nights where I'm the only dude in his chat and he's a super chill guy (and as you saw, really good at commentary). He also runs old JRPG games, and helped develop the Final Fantasy 1 for NES marathon route!!

CarpetCrawler
Feb 18, 2013

http://twitch.tv/gyre_ is where you can find him!!

CarpetCrawler
Feb 18, 2013

Alteisen posted:

Well that sucked, TMR died and I know DK, he ain't happy with the run, hell he mentioned that if this GDQ Contra run wasn't drat near perfect he'd never do Contra at a GDQ again so RIP. :smith:

And I couldn't hear a thing Zallard was saying, they really shouldn't be having these issues at this point.

Yeah. Considering the amount of hype in the community for this race I'm sure both DK and TMR are not happy at all with the results. This combined with the fact that the couch commentary mics weren't working and the quiet room (turns out there was a really long fire alarm going on in a different part of the hotel) it made a run that should have been one of the best runs of the marathon into a pretty rough little race.

CarpetCrawler
Feb 18, 2013

Gibbo posted:

Someone obviously knows an organizer.

lol

CarpetCrawler
Feb 18, 2013

SlurpeeNinja is a good dude.

CarpetCrawler
Feb 18, 2013

Schwarbage posted:

I like you, black guy. You're all right.

He is LVCreed and he is also a good dude.

CarpetCrawler
Feb 18, 2013

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I fell asleep after the first tetris game and missed the rest, is there a link to where I can watch the second and 3rd game?

Looks like this guy uploaded the entire thing.

CarpetCrawler
Feb 18, 2013

raditts posted:

drat, that dude on the right is waayyyyy behind.

A shame, Darkman's solo run at SGDQ was really, really good. Just bound to have an off day at some point I guess.

CarpetCrawler
Feb 18, 2013

Super Jay Mann posted:

bjw actually put in a great run but holy crap at Ohon. :stare:

ohon's run was literally only 30 seconds off of his own WR, completely disgusting. ohon is too good.

CarpetCrawler
Feb 18, 2013

Spelling Mitsake posted:

What's the holdup? They've all had the game up and running for like 15 minutes.

something is wrong with Caleb's TV apparently.

Al Borland posted:

I hope one of the X racers says gently caress it and gets the hadoken power.

since it's a 100% run, they'll all need to get it. :getin:

CarpetCrawler
Feb 18, 2013

there's an issue with Caleb's TV that's holding everything up, apparently.

CarpetCrawler
Feb 18, 2013

BigJon and FrankieFrameSkip need to do more commentary together because they're really good.

CarpetCrawler
Feb 18, 2013

That was a far, far better race than it had any right to be.

CarpetCrawler
Feb 18, 2013

And this is what happens when no one cares about Bonus Stream and decides to let people do whatever. That Pokemon Stadium segment was really bad.

CarpetCrawler
Feb 18, 2013

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

As much as some people want things to go back to the Good Old Days of friendly, small GDQs with bonus streams of just folks hanging out, there's too much money and Internet Fame being thrown around now to de-escalate. More structure, while less "fun", is probably necessary and will do more good than having a free-for-all. Chibi was just a slightly-more-obvious opportunist looking for views, and the incidents with Werster's run this year are probably just symptoms. The 100k viewercount puts pressure on people who either currently do or want to make money playing video games fast for the internet.

Yeah, I agree. The "Good Old Days" bonus streams even those weren't always run super well, mostly because the poor GDQ staff are super tired and no one wants to watch over another few days' worth of stuff. Hence I was kinda in the same boat as Uyama and a few other GDQ staff members, they should probably just dump bonus altogether. I mean, Smash is always a snore and the Mario Party match hasn't really been that good since the one at SGDQ2013. And everyone is just like "well just get more volunteers" as-if the GDQ people haven't always been asking for more to sign up or something.

CarpetCrawler
Feb 18, 2013

Finally, the grand return of Spinball. :allears:

CarpetCrawler
Feb 18, 2013

Agrias120 posted:

Do these other streamers even like blueglass? I mean that as an honest question, it seems like they basically dismiss anything he says instantly. At least during this Spinball set.

There are a lot of people in the community who get overly-critical of him because they think he has a hugbox and feel they need to compensate for it but people do genuinely like him.

CarpetCrawler
Feb 18, 2013

Cool Matty posted:

I was the one playing Spinball for reference, though. Glad there was exactly 1 person here excited to see it. Market saturated.

I was also the one person trying to badger you about in the past two GDQ threads before this one, so I will call it mission accomplished and pretend I had involvement in the decision to play it. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarpetCrawler
Feb 18, 2013

Heteroy posted:

If you enjoy failure, you can watch the Zelda 2 run. I think it was under 15 minutes, and the runner utilizes a glitch that also prevents the screen from scrolling in one direction. He errs in a way that kills the run, so he just had to put down the controller because he couldn't progress any further. Nothing amazingly entertaining, but it was short. (and also a run of the best zelda game)

On the bright side, that accidental glitched error helped him discover a new/different route afterwards, and now it's possible to beat the game in that category in a slightly faster time, so...

• Locked thread