Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

katkillad2 posted:

Is that awkward kid who would sit on the couch uninvited coming back? The one who talked about bringing condoms or whatever and randomly did jumping jacks?

If so I would probably frisk that guy before letting him in.

He was a streamer personality trying to garner views for his stuff rather than supporting the runs. By how flatluigi describes it, they're already on the lookout for that kind of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

And already nearly $2000 up. Good job.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

totempoleman posted:

My stream shat out for the majority of the TAS block, what exactly happened that was so nuts?

Pokemon Red to connect to the twitch chat stream and start rendering it on the TV, complete with emotes.

And SMW turned into SMB.

E: F,b. I am ashamed.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Equilibrium posted:

I sort of get how they were feeding Twitch chat to the SNES but I really don't know how the hell they got the faces in there. That was crazy.

Same way the twitch chat program does it. Receives the raw chat, converts it to a preprogrammed 8bit icon.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

I'm alright with it if there are spiffy movement mechanics. And it seems this games does, with the constant swan diving forward. :allears:

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

In a way, that's why great commentary can help carry a run. It provides context for those without their own experience to say "hmm, this runner is doing a fantastic job."

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

This is why most of the run is OOB! :v:

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

The runner is doing a semi-decent job of commentary, even if his two couch 'dudes' are bound and determined to stay the gently caress away from speaking.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

jerkstoresup posted:

Has anyone ever given up on a run from choking? Not including soft-locks or other run ending things besides pure failure. Not saying Talon is close to that but I just haven't seen it myself.

They compassion-killed the Fire Emblem run after a numerous series of bad RNG luck a year ago.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Get rid of the Twiddle bros and bring back the SA2 couch. If anything they'll bring up the energy and he'll stop choking.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Heran Bago posted:

Are the couch guys not given mics to commentate?

I think they do but the runner seems to be fine just talking non-stop.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

He can't start his "wave your hands like you just don't care" pose without some sort of startup. Because he's Big. :v:

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Chinputs. :allears:

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Racing sideways like we're in the 80's. The future is a cycle. :v:

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

I imagine having the donation reader sometimes rattling off the sponsors more than the donations at times. Few, far between and definitely not happening right now.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Your Computer posted:

Wasn't it last year where some dude did loving MINECRAFT? There are some games I have no idea why they even allow at the event.

To be fair, he did it by bed bombing the End Dragon, so it was pretty sweet.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

minecraft set seed any% speedrunning is actually interesting if only from the logistical standpoint of how the seeding algorithm was reverse engineered to produce the most useful seed for speed, that's kind of neat.

also the general strategy of using detonating beds in The End to kill the dragon caught me off-guard because that's actually really clever. It's also a fairly brief run so it's over before you know it if you don't like it.

basically minecraft in the right circumstances is actually cool and okay, but they were actually planning on having an almost 2 hour simple Any% (no seed) done by two LP'ers before it was kicked off the schedule because neither of them were taking it seriously enough.

Oh thank gently caress for that. That would have been DKR levels of boring.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Death by physics. Excellent. :allears:

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

I'm one of those people who has played Quake 2 through to completion multiple times when I was younger. It's been pretty nice to see this run.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

And I'm now reminded why I don't play twitch FPS anymore. I've inherited my dad's inability to watch jerky viewframes without feeling nauseous. :(

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Bholder posted:

Oh god haven't played this game in ages, but I loved it.

Also I'm one of the few people who knows Descent 3 exists.

My younger brother owns a copy. He loved the series.

I preferred X-Wing.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Crain posted:

Battleblock Theater with the Narrator on Skype!

By all indicators it should be good.

Oh man, they got Will Stamper? His narration is the only reason I stuck with the game for as long as I did.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

This is going to be great with Dan Paladin egging them on.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Block wall climbing. :allears:

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Stamper is on point. God drat I'm glad I stuck around for this.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

stuxracer posted:

Is the anime thing covering 1/4th of the screen part of the game?

Yes. Unfortunately.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Aristophanes posted:

I don't give a poo poo whether or not it's an anime game but why is it this and not one of the actual bullet hell games? Watching someone really good at bullet hell games is exciting. This is super dull.

Besides them being an auto-scroller aside from fighting bosses? It's hard to show 'gotta go fast' when you're enforced to a 2 and half min long level before getting into something you can influence the time it takes to complete.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

They needed a touhou game that hadn't been run in a *GDQ? *shrug*

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

And shut down for showing off other things that can be done with the game.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

That is one fantastic beard on squidclaw.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Comrade Question posted:

Reddit is really paranoid about people intentionally destroying everyone's fun though.

"They changed things, now it sucks" -Any diehard fan, ever

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

It wasn't interesting to watch; beyond a few OOB level skips there wasn't anything particularly dazzling about the mechanics. Because it cribbed so much from Yoshi's Island and SMW, the tricks available were carbon copies.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Breaking the camera to make the run even more difficult. :allears:

I group it with Spike McFang, James Pond or Merlin: blue skies games with bright colours and odd mechanics.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

RyokoTK posted:

Not really, though.

He's projecting, ignore him.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

First try at it. Fantastic.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Sindai posted:

Did I hear that right? The cloud's coordinates overlap Bowser's animation counter, so going offscreen cancels the current animation?

Pretty much, yeah.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Guy tried to hold a straight face, zoom smote him in the end.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Get complacent, GET REKT. :black101:

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Guess that's why the estimate is 20 minutes. Guy doesn't seem to have practiced this game enough recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

The traditional road turkey, cooked to perfection in it's barrel. :allears:

• Locked thread