Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
Kill the animals, and let's get some Lunk donations in again. It's been too long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!

Nintendo Kid posted:

Hey when the streams are going on Youtube this time around afterwards, can they be at least put in playlists seperated for each event? Gets a bit hard to sort through the channel when it's all out of order clips in the main upload area and no organized playlist.

My preferred method for catching up on what I missed is looking up the event on archive.org and then just youtubing "SGDQ 2014 Blasto" or whatever.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!

Bigass Moth posted:

Does that dude have MLP colored hair....

My Little Pony did not invent rainbows.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!

beep by grandpa posted:

Who was the dude last year in the big lebowski looking sweater that ran Goldeneye coop with a dude and was like the biggest bro ever, "you got it baby" "that's right baby" "perfect baby", etc. Will he be here this year? I want to see that dude again.

I believe it's RWhiteGoose. He's scheduled couch crew for both a Goldeneye race and Perfect Dark run so expect hype.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
Now it's an official marathon.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!

beep by grandpa posted:

Hey, nothing against anyone who likes Banjo Kazooie runs but gently caress you.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!

Nativity In Black posted:

I just wish someone like AndrewG1990 were there to see how complete the "port" was. SMB any% takes like 5 minutes.

They'd be limited by the SNES's memory, which looking it up is 128KB, and I want to say that SMB1 is 32KB so I'm sure it was the whole thing. They mentioned wanting somebody to try running it at some point.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!

Your Computer posted:

And I prefer runs that are as glitched as possible (barring instant warping to credits) :shrug:
I think it's nice that they allow both types of run in this event.

e: A lot of the more glitched runs have some of the highest skill ceilings because the glitches themselves are hard to pull off.
It's nice with a bit of variety though, I feel like Cosmo's old OoT run strikes a great balance. Really wish there were more runs like that :allears:

His MST run of OoT was probably my most favorite thing in any of these marathons. It was long, but not absurdly slow, there were a huge number of tricks, and it still followed the general progression of the game enough that you could show it to people who aren't familiar with speedruns or really even OoT and they will be impressed.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
This fps block is bad because now I want to spend my money to try out Blood and Descent rather than donate my money to charity.

(I'm gonna do both)

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!

Crain posted:

Unless you have 6 hours I wouldn't try.

Good news! FF7 can be beaten in 3 hours now. It will be a treat and should be enjoyable if you have even a vague knowledge of the game.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!

Broken Cog posted:

Could someone explain to me AGDQ's obsession with Super Metroid? I have heard that it's a good game for speedrunning, but centering the entire event(At least the donation system) around it every time seems really weird to me, especially since at this point all runs of it feel very similiar to each other(as a spectator), and it mostly comes down to small mistakes/lucky frame hits.

It was a fluke of save/kill the animals taking off. I'm sure it would be there every year regardless, but it's become a tremendous money maker.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!

TheQat posted:

here's the TAS version of that trick if anyone wants to see it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rP27uZgN5pg

http://tasvideos.org/4288S.html and the author's notes which explain it.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

...an hour of tetris??

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!

Dias posted:

Dick% TGM3.

If you can manipulate RNG you could do some silly drawings with pieces.

Imagine going into the invisible pieces part, and then when it ends and they show up again revealing a brand new picture.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
I have a ~4 hour flight to Portland tomorrow and despite having like 4 retail games and a handful of eshop titles I'm now really tempted to buy OoT 3D...

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
Hell they could trivially find TASes to run to fit any gap really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!

Node posted:

The most important thing I learned this year is that if they continue with this "hype" gimmick I'm going to be unable to watch GDQ ever again.

Somebody needs to run this. (Some goon did an LP before and it's actually a pretty cool game)

Tonfa posted:

I'm down. The money match two or three years ago was outstanding.

Edit: It needs both Spike and Naeg to not be garbage though

Have the players in the match be donated for. Top four get to play.

• Locked thread