Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

glitchwraith posted:

I think the non-sense dialogue is supposed to indicate he's whispering something to her, but her concerned expression makes it seem like he just leaned in and babbled unintelligibly at her. The abrupt laughing afterwords doesn't help that impression. I assume it makes more sense in context.

"Let's name our kid AE X 12."

Like you said, unintelligible babble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

"Very well, Richards, you have made it through my security and I am honor-bound to treat you as a guest, regardless of my own thoughts of you. But mark the fury of Doom! -- for with your fish, I shall serve a claret! No one is safe from my wrath!"

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Chinston Wurchill posted:

I'm not sure either of these panels from Jean Grey #2 were supposed to be funny, but I laughed.

2nd panel, 1st thought:

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

muscles like this! posted:

Something I'm wondering, are there any other heroes who's names, over time, have completely changed meaning like with Plastic Man?

The Creeper?

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

evilmiera posted:

In fact, justice is commonly known as a universal concept first officially described in the code of Hammurabi, and furthermore

If justice isn't rendered in Babylon then it's just sparkling vengeance

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Why is Data crying? Did he get changed into a real boy, or artist/author error?

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

thetoughestbean posted:

No he’s just being an rear end in a top hat who doesn’t think leaders should be second-guessed

And his chokin' hand's cramping from not being used.

You know like when you have a hammer everything looks like a nail? Same thing.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Air Skwirl posted:

Aside from Captain America every Marvel character people give a poo poo about were invented post 1963, Steamboat Willie came out in 1928, so it's 35 years for that to really matter. Edit, even Cap wasn't created until 1941, so that's a decade by itself. Get your licks in now DC.
This is Namor erasure.

I can definitely see some cheesy Cinemax After Dark-ish/Hallmark Prince Needs to be Married Movie mashups coming out of him, unless Marvel makes the claim that the horndog aspect of his character was a later addition, and even then you still do have the opportunity for the whole prince of Atlantis needs a bride story.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Nothing to do with comics but everything to do with bad bad reviews

https://www.outsideonline.com/adventure-travel/national-parks/worst-national-parks-reviews/

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Air Skwirl posted:

How the gently caress does the UK skip over World War 2 in their education system?

We run out of time in the semester

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

In my honors US history course -- junior year, so just two years before college, and I want to reemphasize this was an honors course -- we learned the reason we had Iron Curtain-era Eastern Europe (which was a thing back in the dark ages when I was in high school) is because Roosevelt tried to drink Stalin under the table at the Yalta conference. This came complete with knowing winks and comments about "those Russians and their vodka."

We also spent a lot of time on slavery and its evils, strange for a school in Texas, but it was a Catholic school so that explains it.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Darthemed posted:

Strange Tales #158 (1967)
This was from the dramatic six-issue run where AIM had stolen Fury’s lower torso.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Alacron posted:

For posterity:

I have to wonder if Kurt Busiek saw that panel and that gave him the idea for All-American and Sporty in the poignant Astro City short where the Hanged Man explains how a time rift during a robbery in the forties is causing a man to lose sleep. (Not a joke; can't remember which TPB it's in; would hesitate to call it the best thing in the book because it's all so good but it's a great eight pages or whatever.)

Was it Jay Pinkerton who did a series where a bunch of things crosses by/flies through Bruce's window? The only one I remember is "Gordon-Man."

"Why, Gordon-man, you're looking quite handsome tonight!"
"So are you, Commissioner Gordon!"

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Thanks, couldn't find it with GIS. "Jay Pinkerton Gordon man" just brings up a serial killer and Pinkerton's work at Valve from a quick check.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I dislike the armored look, because his optimal outfit is the tunic and miniskirt. Why? It allows him to manspread on the nearest throne, sofa, or armchair, his natural posture of repose.

Darkseid is! And if you don't believe me, you can look at the Google image search.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

SimonChris posted:

The Man of Steel #4 (1986)

IIRC Lois is like, "How do you keep up your physique with those weights? They're lighter than the ones I use to work out." He hems and haws his way through with, "Wrll, they're old weights..." but she's stopped listening because they're headed to the roof where Luthor's helicopter is waiting to whisk them away to a party.

And I still can't remember what my wife told me she wants for her birthday but drat it I've got that arcane comics knowledge down pat.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

In the JLA/Avengers miniseries, of course in the fourth issue they go crazy and have the two teams mix and match who they're fighting side-by-side with, and who's attacking them.

Captain America is set upon by Batman's JLA-level villain, Prometheus. As an example of who this guy is, in a previous fight with Bats on the JLA watchtower satellite, he said, "I've just downloaded the skills of the world's 30 best martial artists to my brain. Don't look so cocky...one of them is you," before he beat Bats within an inch of his life.

So, naturally, he taunts Cap. "I'm Prometheus. I've just uploaded Batman's fighting skills. That'll be more than enough to defeat you." Cap: "Oh?" A page later, they cut back to their fight. Cap is uppercutting Prometheus, saying, "Neural chaff -- hypnotic strobe lights -- counterfeit skills -- try fighting the Wehrmacht, mister: it teaches you focus!" before laying him out.

Meanwhile, who does Bats get to face?

(JLA/Avengers had some problems, but it was a lot of fun for what it was.)

Admiralty Flag fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Apr 15, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Myok posted:

Two tone dress shoes are always a winner. I insisted on wearing them for my wedding and couldn't be happier.
You may already know this, but if you're specifically searching for two-tone dress shoes, look for "spectators."

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Soon Odin will be getting mad rutty with the social worker.
I got that reference!