Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Gaz-L posted:

That's from Neal Adams' modern masterpiece, Batman: Odyssey.

I'm still sad that All Star Batman never finished, but the insanity that was Odyssey ended up filling that void.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

No its Neal Adams one of the greatest comic artists of all time.

Not that you'd be able to tell from this book.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Love the reference to the Collossus eating a sandwich panel with Wolverine.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

I think the artists are just perverts.

We're talking about comic books here so I thought this pretty much went without saying.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I can see the point the writer was trying to make with both of those. Like Bendis' thing about her being Jewish they both come off to me as trying to address real world poo poo through the lens of comics. It doesn't quite come off in either of them, but I get it. They're basically trying to go, in a hamfisted way, to the fans reading it "hey, you like these characters, so in real life maybe don't use these other words that are the same as the slurs used against your favorite characters here!" They don't work 100%, but "don't use racial slurs" is a fine thing to say, and sometimes to demonstrate bad poo poo you have to actually demonstrate it.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Days of Future Past cover is pretty homaged too.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I've tried for literally years to understand that panel and I still have no loving clue...

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

As long as it's Power Girl Conner and not Harley Quinn Conner, I'm in.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I'm wondering how long they're going to stretch this out. I am getting to the point where I'm less intrigued by the mystery and more just want to know who the gently caress I'm reading about.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

mind the walrus posted:

Now seriously when the gently caress did Archie comics become worth a drat? This is puzzling.

They first showed signs of being worth a drat way back in the day, but then went dark again for over a decade...

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

So was Lockjaw and inhuman dog, or was he a normal inhuman who turned dog shaped and now everyone treats him like he's a real dog? Cause that would be pretty lovely.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Gambit has a Louisiana Cajun accent, not a French one :colbert:

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Pureauthor posted:

There're a series of gags in that issue about how Chameleon has no idea how the X-Men behave and keeps screwing up while mimicking them.

Well then that makes sense. And is a good joke. Carry on.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

He's in a polo, but it's got a little skull monogrammed onto the pocket.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I never learned how to swim...I'm gonna make the next fuckin Star Wars, gently caress yeah!

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

So Jessica Drew has been having some problems with her new street-level superheroics:

Later that night!

And the next page because it is also pretty great.

All from Spider-Woman #5

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

SynthOrange posted:

Doesnt she fly? Why's she need a bike?

No, that was the Skrull version. She can glide, but that's it.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Gaz-L posted:

She's supposed to glide, not actually fly, though most of the time writers treat it as interchangeable.

Also, I hope everyone's reading her dialogue with the English accent she had in the motion comic version of the Bendis/Maleev run.

She has that in the Marvel Heroes game, too. So as far as I'm concerned it's canon.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Duke Igthorn posted:

"I consider myself bisexual" AKA: I've never tried but I bet I'd be great at it.

There are photos of her doing stuff with Lady Starlight from before she blew up that make your argument here invalid.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Evil Mastermind posted:

These panels have been posted before, and I still have no idea what's going on. Is the pudgy guy making out with apparently-Lada-Gaga-I-guess?, then pushing her off the balcony and grafting his head onto her body?

The comic itself (I bought it after seeing the insane panels posted here because I had to know) is told from the perspective of the fat guy, who's insane and obsessed with her. All three panels are from the Paparazzi video, where in the first two he's inserted himself as her boyfriend in it (who does throw her off a balcony) and in the third one he's become her. Because he's meant to be insane.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

If it turns out the book is about literally everyone on the planet wanting to gently caress this character...

They already made this book. It's called Red Hood & The Outlaws.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

mind the walrus posted:

The cover is literally just a PR statement "look at this hot new outfit we came up for her that isn't skanky like the last one and meets a nice compromise between our fan-wank history of Starfire's personality as an exhibitionist of her body's beauty which dates all the way back to her Wolfman/Perez days and her far more popular modern incarnation on the Teen Titans cartoon from 10 years ago." Besides which while I hate the weird inability of the superhero industry to separate its wank material from its all-ages books, having sexuality flaunted and making fun of people's reactions to it is are not inherently bad things.

But it's DC, and the last book they had her in she was Starfire: Intergalactic Amnesiac gently caress Hole. I'm not willing to give them even the slightest benefit of the doubt.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Well, when you think about it...

She physically wouldn't be able to have sex with a man who wasn't invulnerable *everywhere*. Even her trying to be *gentle* while in Hulk form would probably leave a guy in the ICU as a best case scenario. And if she reverted back to normal, there'd still be a biohazard as I think gamma-doped blood is extremely dangerous to 'normies.'

Jen's acknowledged it, too:

And: http://arousinggrammar.com/2012/07/12/she-hulk-loves-juggernaut/ (too many post-worthy panels on this page to copy to here)

Source: Ultimate Wolverine vs. Hulk, but the other woman is Betty Ross, and later on, she flirts with Wolverine and confirms his joints and bones are laced with Adamantium. The disembodied voice is Wolverine talking to Fury.

One of the most interesting things I remember about the pre-New 52 Wonder Woman was when she first brought Nemesis to Themyscira to meet her mother, he asked if she could feel it when he touched her, and she said 'no.'

And lastly:

Source: Unknown.

This is a really creepy, weird post. But She-Hulk has been shown in bed with normal dudes before with no ill effects.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Pierson posted:

Is there any other hero with less of a middle-ground than Deadpool? It seems he's either really drat good or just utterly awful.

Howard the Duck.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah, he's always awesome.

There have been some really lovely Howard the Duck mini's and one shots. The new ongoing seems good, thankfully, but a lot of the non-Gerber stuff was really terrible.

Also not a panel, but at least they broke the news about the Deadpool movie being PG-13 in a way that gives me hope the movie might still be good, while we're on the subject of him:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUEkqZxLyrg

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

I really wish you could still make R-rated movies. I guess the difference is parents just let their kids see whatever in the 80s.

Watch the video.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

But Ryan Reynolds is in it. :(

Reynolds is a good actor when given material to work with, and perfect casting for Deadpool. He already played him one and was fantastic. The issue was it was in Blade 3 and they called him Hannibal King, but still.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

InShaneee posted:

He's a comic book nerd and has been petitioning to play Deadpool in a standalone movie for years now. There was some test footage for a proposed Deadpool CG movie voiced by him that came out last year that was relatively well received.

That's not from a proposed CG movie, it's literally leaked CG storyboard/test footage from the movie they are currently making. The script leaked over two years ago, and this is a scene from it. It will probably be in the final film in some form or another.

E:

Bucnasti posted:

An R-Rating is the first step. Now if they can make it without Deadpool constantly taking off his mask and showing Ryan Reynolds un-horrifically-scarred face it might actually be good.

The leaked script made it very clear that he's totally hosed up looking under the mask. But to get around the issue of this, there's a good chunk of pre-Weapon X Wade Wilson in there as well, setting up his relationship with the love interest, villain, and his origin.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Unfortunately Woman in Gold is getting really bad reviews, so those 'hella serious acting chops' might take a hit. And Reynolds at maximum snark is his performance in Waiting....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFZevrHkWVE

Waiting is an underrated classic.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

There was never a sequel and I will not entertain the notion that there was.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Uthor posted:

Quoting from a different thread.

Did you know there's a Doom comic? It's pretty bad. Here's a review of it by some dude name "Lowtax" or something stupid like that.

http://web.archive.org/web/20010109180400/http://planetquake.com/articles/doomcomic.shtm

I have to believe Duke would have completely ruined it by talking about how much he loves when chicks in rap videos shake their asses around or something if this guy hadn't died when he did.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Gaz-L posted:

Dini himself has gone back and forth. In Mad Love it's implied she slept her way to a decent GPA, but Gotham Sirens has her be good enough to mess with multiple Gothamites' heads.

I like the idea that maybe both are true, and it fits. She has the potential to be really, really good at it if she's motivated, but she cut corners. So instead of working at school she slept her way to good grades. Instead of putting in the time to build herself up she went to Arkham to try and get a book deal out of sessions with the Joker. She knows what she's doing perfectly well, but she takes the easy way.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Rhyno posted:

In this thread: We explain the most obvious and basic jokes ever.

If you thought that one was funny, wait until you hear why his new AI buddy is named FRIDAY.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Ensign_Ricky posted:

You mean his petty secretary AI from the comics?

I was more disappointed that he rejected the AI clearly labelled JOCASTA.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Dolash posted:

They're definitely trading on the absurdity of the squeaky-clean, painfully dull Archie Comics jumping into blood and guts, and there's probably a limit on the novelty of that. Once you've cashed in a long history of sincerity to do "Zombies/slasher villains, but with Archie" there's not really anywhere left to go, unless you have the guts to go full post-modern.

Aren't they relaunching the whole line soon with Mark Waid writing? Not exactly post-modern, but depending on how that goes it seems like they're actually going to be trying to modernize the whole thing at the very least, with some real writing talent behind it.

And Fiona Staples is drawing it too, I guess.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

apsouthern posted:

I know it's a cover rather than a panel, but Archie vs Sharknado comes out in July

This is the moment Archie jumped the shark (no pun intended) from these gimmick/crossover things being funny to them being stupid and lame. Just like Sharknado is stupid and lame.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Blockhouse posted:

You're missing the best part

thanks to DC's new "amazing" ad campaign that second page in print looks like this

I haven't picked up a DC comic in months. What the gently caress is this?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

ManiacClown posted:

That really was fun. I can't believe people who did read both the "real" and our versions said that what Gavok and I did made more sense than the actual comics when we had Hawkeye chase Spider-Man down for Twinkies and Thor was Asgardian Santa.

As someone who read this I can confirm that not only was it more entertaining, but yes, it made much more sense. It at least followed it's own internal logic and was consistent in it's madness, unlike the real poo poo.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Travis343 posted:

Well no poo poo. They are literally violent clowns whose entire worldview is how sweet chaos is.

Nah, Juggalos are actually all about Jesus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Booblord Zagats posted:

That's just the founders trying to get declassed as a gang by the FBI. The vast majority of juggalos are just angry, chubby and socially awkward teens to twenty somethings who want to get a drunken handy from someone in grease paint

Nah, the Jesus thing came about way, way before they got classified as a gang.