Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Where does Deadpool even find this stuff on short notice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I don't really read comic books, at least not regularly, but I did by chance get into Avengers Academy early on and follow it for a while since it was fun and easy to follow. Probably because it followed new characters and there wasn't some byzantine canon you had to keep track of, the kids' whole stories were in those books. I eventually dropped it knowing that couldn't last. Hearing ~comics~ caught up to the characters eventually makes me sad, but not surprised.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I'm more partial to Captain America's stone-faced neutrality. It's like someone left him on pause between panels.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

No, that just says The Fire, The.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

The best twist would be the Vulture putting her under Citizens' Arrest for vandalism and turning her in to the police.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Can I ask about the Ryan Reynolds thing real quick? I don't really know much about Deadpool but I'm vaguely aware that people have been after a Ryan-Reynolds-as-Deadpool movie for ages for some reason and I don't know why. Did it start before the X-Men: Origins thing, or was it because of it? What was so great about his performance that everyone decided they needed to get him back? I don't get it.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Looks like a bunch of styrofoam painted with glow-in-the-dark paint, which I wouldn't put past Dr. Dinosaur.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

They're definitely trading on the absurdity of the squeaky-clean, painfully dull Archie Comics jumping into blood and guts, and there's probably a limit on the novelty of that. Once you've cashed in a long history of sincerity to do "Zombies/slasher villains, but with Archie" there's not really anywhere left to go, unless you have the guts to go full post-modern.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Worthy-man, Worthy-man,
Possess the power of Thor he can.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

I'd never seen any of those, and now my life is measurably more complete.

Finally, just a little bit closer to death!

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Chaos Hippy posted:

I sell phones, and can confirm that there are still plenty of idiots in the world who think they don't need cases because "I'm always careful. I've never broken a phone in my life!"

Can confirm, I am an idiot who stepped on my new phone two weeks after buying it without a case. Then went almost broke fixing it and still haven't gotten a case because nnnnreh, they don't sell the right type of case around here, effort.

Spider-man, I'm right there with you on this one.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Does it work in a perfectly dark room? Is an object yellow if no light reflects off of it? What about objects that are not themselves yellow but illuminated by a strong yellow light? Can he affect things that are out of sight, like the surface of an object under the yellow paint? What if a Green Lantern is colour blind, would it work like the blind Lantern who uses sound?

I'm sure all of these were answered in detail at some point.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

TwoPair posted:

But when in the learning process do you teach the AIs how to smash cameras?

Stage simulation, timed scenario, fitness function of cameras broken, 1000 random controllers, pick the highest performing controllers and synthesize/mutate for next generation of controllers, rerun until performance peaks, then make the scenario more complicated (moving camera, smaller camera, belligerent cameraman) and repeat the process.

This robot was evolved to break Jimmy's camera.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I thought it was pretty funny.

Random Stranger posted:

I have to point out that while Deathstroke can obviously survive that, Superman just totally tried to murder someone in those panels.

C'mon, we've all been in that place where you've had a little too much to drink/smoke/digest deadly neurotoxins and don't realize your own strength. Old Supes probably thought he was just giving the guy a friendly flick on the nose, figured a little swim in the ocean would give him a chance to cool off.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

So they can't say ****, but Ron Howard can pick up as many hookers as he likes. Comics are interesting.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I know it gets brought up basically whenever Beast is posted, but there really aren't any rules on how to draw him besides "blue and hairy", is there?

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Cyclops isn't cooking the turkey in that picture, it's the before and after shot of him carving off the drumsticks.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I thought it was like "Don't touch my sausage, signed Tony". Also that poster on whether you can get cancer from your radioactive Superfriends might've been useful to Dr. Manhattan.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Megatron's right, I can't be bothered with Amazon Prime either.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

It took that panel to make me realize that Storm controlling the weather is actually a really useful power in terms of direct application to the general public. She could make a fortune ending droughts, diverting hurricanes, making clear sunny days for major sporting events and so on.

Or alternatively gently caress with a weatherman ex-boyfriend by screwing up a whole town's rain cycle out of spite.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Okay, the four-eyes giving her the sideways glance might've won me over.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Dacap posted:

This Gambit vs. Deadpool cover is great.

:( Aww Deadpool, don't be sad. It not you, it Gambit.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I liked that fancomic too, imagining the logistics and prep-work that goes on behind the scenes is a classic vein of material to mine in many areas beyond superheroes.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Too much paperwork, that was the problem!

I'd file it under the same sort of comedy as when the Joker refuses to go against the IRS, since he may be mad but he's not crazy - there's no point in getting bent out of shape about why a murderous psycho would be intimidated by the IRS, it's just a classic bit that goes back to Al Capone going down for tax evasion. Can't remember where that was from though.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

That's pretty good cover-art for a fan fiction. I'm just saying, I'd be flattered.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

What exactly are his powers, apart from rad driving skills and extremely genre-savvy career planning?

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Most of what I'm getting from the last couple pages is comics are self-aware as gently caress nowadays. Heroes who understand they're in a narrative universe, cosmic beings whose "mysterious, unknowable speech" is just unfiltered industry talk, villains totally aware of their position on the tier list and organizing themselves like a reality TV show for washed-up celebrities. Like everyone involved is too self-conscious to tell a straight-up superhero story in an unironic way now that everyone and their dog knows the genre and its deconstructions and the deconstructions of the deconstructions backward and forward.

That might be part of what people enjoy about Newspaper Spider-Man, I suppose, the flat sincerity of it.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I'll provide the opposite perspective and say that as someone whose only exposure to Bendis is when people on the forums (or, rarely, elsewhere online) bring him up, and I had a vague impression of him being some kind of "big name but actually bad" boogeyman, like the way people talk about Liefield. Then again I can't really come up with any names with a positive impression except Ryan North and Brian Clevinger.

And I thought people hated the original Civil War for being a clumsy Bush Administration allegory that made Iron Man the bad guy for the sake of forced drama? Surprised they'd want to do another one of those, but not surprised to hear different writers are working at cross-purposes - that seems to be one of the many problems with the way major comic universes are structured.

Edit: Normally I might edit out my answer to your question now that you've edited it out, but I already made the effort to Google how to spell Clevinger and I'm not letting that go to waste.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

mind the walrus posted:

Being completely fair if you couldn't defend yourself publicly revealing that you can grow crops is a one-way ticket to the bottom of a G-Men bunker growing an inexhaustible supply chain for our boys overseas.

On the list of comic book cliches to deconstruct, has anyone done a plot where the government wants to take someone in for their mysterious powers and the person in question is patriotic and takes the long view so the underground bunker project actually works out, resulting in some huge new breakthrough or advantage? Modern-day conspiracy plots feature destroyed secret labs so often that it'd be refreshing for even one such project to actually work out, and a rescue attempt that ends in the prisoner saying "What? No, harnessing my plant-growing abilities to revitalize domestic agriculture is for the greater good" might also be nice.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

You go through all that trouble explaining Hank Henshaw and you don't link the Landis short film?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PlwDbSYicM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Crisis on Infinite North Poles