Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Darthemed posted:

Superman #19 (1942)

Clark, she's cheering you, ya doofus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Splint Chesthair posted:

The next day, Superboy had the robot leave Miss Finch a farewell note that was signed, "With a love that will echo through the ages...(P.S. I am gay)."

"We're not putting that, Jonathan!"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

TwoPair posted:

Pennyworth #1: Alfred has been captured, the captors are currently unknown. All he knows is he's far away from Gotham City.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idoYCVLh2qI

Is there a reason he's not counting on, y'know, Batman? (It does remind of the current run of Nightwing, where Dick's captured for like an hour and the Titans and Bruce are about 30 seconds away from storming the building before he gets Oracle to call them off)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Retro Futurist posted:

Huh? Where did Patch go between panels 1 and 2?

Clearly the Tallus replaced him with a version of Wolverine after making the error of Patch due to their superficial resemblance

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Push El Burrito posted:

Hey Damien, you know it's funny when I talk to you I get a little uncomfortable because I feel like you're being condescending to me, and I hope that's not the case, because if it is, I'm gonna kick your rear end.

Barbara.

Barbara.

BARBARA!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Marvel Boy/the Uranian and Gorilla Man are both much more qualified to be Avengers than Spidey

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

TwoPair posted:

I don't know the exact issue either but it's in Hickman's FF after Johnny dies and Spidey joins. He's in a meeting/class with Reed and the kids and makes a smart suggestion and the kids look dumbfounded, which leads to that line.

It also happened in Marvel Adventures Avengers, I believe

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The Namor thing is kinda funny because it weirdly makes Sue one of the more realistically sexual women in 616. She's married, monogamous but there's this one guy she kinda hates but also kinda gets her motor running. She'd never do anything about it, but...

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

TwoPair posted:

I misread this as "America Smash!" when I saw it the first time and was excited to see if he turned into a big green Uncle Sam next.

Patsy Walker AKA Hellcat! #10

"And at least call me Doc. I didn't go to med school, do a whole internship and residency and then spend years studying magic to be 'Steve from the Village'"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Also, lukewarm take: Hellcat was better than Squirrel Girl.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

howe_sam posted:

The writers of both were eventually revealed to be lovely people?

:confused: care to elaborate?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
From the very brief research I did, the Leth stuff seems about right but the Cain stuff seems like the Twitter sensationalist version unless she's done more stuff since. It sounds like she did that Man Eaters book, people got Twitter mad that she didn't include trans issues in it and it became the usual pointless Twitter pile on that has never ever gotten someone to be more open-minded

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
EDIT: you know what I was reactionary. I'm sorry and I should probably have waited instead of posting after 5 mins of googling while at work. I do feel my point about yelling at people on Twitter being basically useless stands though

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Dec 3, 2021

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
To maybe bring things back to the original point, I felt USG got to a point where it became clear that there was a ceiling to the stakes or kind of stories it could tell and I found that frustrating. If Doreen always makes friends with and redeems the villain, then the villain always has to have a misguided goal and can't ever be truly evil or do anything that bad.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I read the whole run and the OGN. I just got to a point where I wanted a villain where they just weren't going to have a change of heart and how does she deal with that. And the answer was "Galactus ex machina". Which means it probably ended at the right time for me. I think the humour started to wear a bit thin for me too

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Were these brownies or brownies?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I assume it's like an adamantium mitten to stop him popping the claws/using his hands.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Unusually decisive anti-murder stance from Dane, there.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

palamedes posted:

One of the "improvements" to her next-gen fight implants is they made her real dumb with money. It's a method of control, like a kind of combat enhancile student loan.

See, because it's Morrison, I don't know if this is a joke or not. ...I mean it's a joke either way but I don't know if it's in the text or not.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Uthor posted:

Chris Claremont? Hates explosions for the same reason.

Untrue, you can write dialogue of someone describing the explosion and how awe-inspiring it is.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

muscles like this! posted:

It's better than the trend where things just have extremely plain descriptive names.

That was apparently because people weren't reading the blurbs for these high concept stories so gently caress it put the one line pitch on the front/spine.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

site posted:

just gals being pals

I mean, the only 2 trajectories the book can go is 'they actually fall in love' or 'they fall for other people (probably guys) and oh no, the marriage makes it awkward and wacky hijinks ensue' and the first one is a thousand times better.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, the Victory sign was also in the UK but it's reversed. Think the 'peace' sign but more emphatic.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

TwoPair posted:

Batman: Urban Legends #10

I like that the lady in green is somehow disappointed she didn't get to be in a knife fight

Well, duh, she's not a thief like that vigilante, Nightwing!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

How Wonderful! posted:

Basically, god bless Spidey Super Stories, she's putting a ton of black pepper on the pizza to make customers turn around and sneeze, at which point she picks their pockets so she can go play underground poker to afford to feed her goddaughter.

...why doesn't she just use the pickpocketed money to feed her?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
He definitely still keeps lollys in the belt as of the Batman/Red Hood team up from Urban Legends.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The big reason they probably didn't swap them was because Michael Rosenbaum, the voice of the Flash, is also pretty well known for playing Lex.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Doiby seems like a good dude going by that and the current Alan Scott mini.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Alacron posted:

For posterity:

Funnily enough, Bombshells ended up doing that semi-seriously with Batwoman

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Darthemed posted:

Uncle Scrooge #15 (1956)

Gyro never stops to think if he should, not just if he could.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Gnome de plume posted:

people are dying in an earthquake on the other side of the world Clark can't you hear them

"Nah, Jon's got that. Or Conner. Or Kenan. One of em, anyway"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lobok posted:

Hey, I thought there was a rule against using multiple guns at LaserQuest.

"I'm even one of those douchebags who brings his own equipment..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXJJKq2v4d4

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Clark: "This is my good coat, Ma made it herself, you dick"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lobok posted:

Before it was commandeered by sex toys, what did "vibrators" used to mean?

The same thing as now, we just pretended that 'personal massager' meant for your neck or shoulder and not your hoo-ha.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

howe_sam posted:

Kang lives in the dot over the i.

Doom making peep chili in 3 pages time

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

SimonChris posted:

The Man of Steel #4 (1986)

Excuse me, Sir, the Post Horny Panels thread is... *checks notes* hmmm... I can't seem to find it on this list.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

SimonChris posted:

That's not Clark. It's his parents looking for the planet with the best beefcake to send their son.

Lara getting all horned up for Pa Kent, then?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

I believe it is from this one shot. He basically points out that even being able to fight Cap evenly makes him ludicrously skilled by any other measure

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lobok posted:

I assume he's talking about the Holocaust and the overall war but I've always thought that line would be cool on its own as a catchphrase. Laying out a bad guy with your strongest punch, "For the Millions!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFAkmkfcTfU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The pencils and colours in Immortal Thor are amazing in general, but they do a fantastic job with Loki because they really highlight their gender-fluidity and magical nature, like they seem to almost present a little differently panel to panel in some scenes while staying recognisably Loki.