Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
I love how everyone seems to be accepting the text's notion that they're factory workers, when they're clearly all in lab coats and sporting ID badges like they work at a lab.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
There's an episode where some villain of the week is up to no good at some building (might be city hall), where Batman and Robin pull up and park the Batmobile. Robin jumps out, starts to rush off, but Batman stops him, then gives him a lecture about making sure to feed the parking meter. That's not a joke, that actually happens.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

I'm getting major nightowl vibes from Jason in that second to last panel, the slumped shoulders and confused look,even the colouring.

Well, that story was drawn by Gibbons...

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Watchmen came out in 1986/87; Uncanny X-Men Annual #11 was dated 1987. I'm going to guess probably not.

Not every piece of art that looks similar to another piece of art is a reference/homage/ripoff

That annual came out nearly a year after the issue of Watchmen in question (12/86 for Watchmen #4 vs. 11/87 for the X-Men Annual). That's more than enough time for it to have been intentional. Doesn't necessarily mean it was, just more likely than your initial estimate might imply.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
"Think clean thoughts, chum" is straight from "For the Man Who Has Everything," the Moore/Gibbons Superman annual where the weird brain flower puts him in a fantasy where he grew up on Krypton (which also got made into a good episode of JLU).

...But the Robin that was there was Jason.

Whatever, still a pretty funny page.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
Oh, that's what that line is...thanks, Spider-dad!

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

Miserable Maid posted:

It's comics. Just like how "scientist" means they know every science ever instead of specializing, comics would make attorney and prosecutor the same thing

This "crossing over with Ace Attorney" thing is making more sense all the time.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I think a piano must have fallen on Frank last issue?

1. That man's femur is broken.
2. It's very easy to read his left shoulder as being in line with the rear light of the railroad signal, meaning this man is not Frank Castle, but Reed Richards. So maybe his leg is okay after all.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

Elfface posted:

Tony just fell asleep in the armour, didn't he?

You're assuming he's in the armor? Nah, he just left it there, I'll bet.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

Servoret posted:

It's an edit, that's why.

E: Actually, maybe I'm getting it confused with a Captain America/Iron Man panel? Sorry if so.

No, you're right, it's fake:

https://www.cbr.com/he-man-masters-universe-fisto-meme/

But the dude is actually named Fisto

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
Morton Downey Jr. did release an album at one point: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morton_Downey_Jr._Sings

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

CzarChasm posted:

There is a legend that if you eat sweets from the cafeteria they will make you a genius.

These little kids eat the cookies believing that they are now geniuses

They pretend that they are going super saiyan, but for smarts

They fail the tests anyway because they are just dumb kids.

The other possible joke is the magic works, they're just so dumb to start with the magic only brings them up to "flunking horribly."

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
All right, so we've got The Pigeon, Cat-tain America, Iron Mouse, Cockeye, and Quacksilver. What're good names for Ant-Man (what animal is he even supposed to be?) and Dog-Thor?

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
Clearly Superboy is behaving like a gear, and must spin the opposite direction of how he wants the clock to move.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

site posted:

how does newspaper Thor fare against bricks

I would hope at least a little better than NSM, since Thor carries a brick around with him at all times.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

Bucnasti posted:

Who greenlit the Anti-Mummy Gun project?

Alfred, I guess?

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

Chinston Wurchill posted:

He's being puppeted by the other Madrox. Not sure why there's a Kermit puppet in what was supposed to be an aviation museum, but there you go.

The panel just says the Smithsonian, which could be any one of like 8 or so museums, most of which are pretty close together. There is a Jim Henson exhibit in the American History Museum, so presumably he's in there and not the Air and Space Museum.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

davidspackage posted:

Matt "Fat people are always evil" Murdock

Kingpin established a terrible baseline for him

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

Air Skwirl posted:

Do not, my friends, become addicted to oxygen. It will take hold of you, and you will resent its absence!

One of my distant ancestors got addicted to oxygen, and I'm still living with it now

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

Phy posted:

"Why does everyone keep asking if I'm Hawkeye?!"

They're not asking that, Mr. Wolvermean. They're asking if you're Hawk-guy.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

Philippe posted:

That last one is silly, because Green Lanterns are chosen because of great will. Surely they could overcome that limitation if they know it's not real anymore.

I'm pretty sure that's how it's supposed to work, actually. They can but they have to think about it and concentrate.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

mercenarynuker posted:

Yeah, 82.17S is 400ish miles inland on Antarctica. 82.17N is north coastal Greenland. I think the latter makes more sense given the seaplanes and whatnot. I assume it's maybe a mix-up of Arctic/Antarctic. Or just plain stupidity, really xould go either way

This Umbrella base is very much supposed to be in Antarctica, so they probably just picked a number without looking into it too hard. I don't think the latitude was mentioned in the game, but that would be one of Capcom's less egregious factual errors.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

Darthemed posted:

Resident Evil: Code: Veronica #3 (2002)

I don't think I'll ever get over this comic depicting whiny noodle boy Steve Burnside as this big handsome hunk

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
It's Green Arrow, he has a trick anti-gravity arrow that arcs upwards after firing

(no, seriously Ollie, why the hell did you put the tallest kid at the back of the line?)

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

evilmiera posted:

They're not dying from the Earthquake they're dying from his joke

No no, one of Superman's lesser known powers is that when he makes a lame dad joke, it triggers a groan so powerful the earth itself trembles.

Also why is Superman drinking out of a flower vase?

Kantesu fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Mar 19, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

Gaz-L posted:

Every time I've seen that story, it bugs me that they leapt right over 'Supergirl' to a name so clunky it had to be a deliberate choice not to use the more obvious one.

Google tells me Supergirl proper first appeared in 1959, so they were probably trying to avoid confusion since the Super Sister issue is from a year later. It's still an awkward name.