Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

that was dumb as hell because that's a secret, not a riddle. batman didn't hide his identity behind clever wordplay.

Batman's riddle was: "Who is 600 years old, in charge of the world's deadliest assassins and will kill you in an inventive way if if I told him that you used his Lazarus pit?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

The story, featuring Jimmy's mercenary quest for power, is even more bonkers. Kings are shaken and killers wail.

I love that Jimmy is so unimaginative that the only thing he can think of doing with telekinesis is to save a couple of minutes on his work commute.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

ecavalli posted:

I'm impressed he didn't shatter his spine stretching for all them bullshit conclusions.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

She-Hulk reaches peak footnote in #38:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

joehonkie posted:

So was Byrne's run on She Hulk just an endless stream of increasingly grosser dudes stalking her and her clothes getting destroyed as much as possible?

Not really.

In one issue there were three blank pages before this happened:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Selachian posted:

Just as a reminder, one of the running gags of Byrne's She-Hulk was him threatening to make her jump rope naked. (And it eventually did happen ... with the rope blurs covering up the Comics Code Authority-defying bits.)

Not really:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

davidspackage posted:

Che Guevara's cap

Seriously?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

It can't be that unexpected considering its the Bunny Trail.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

"Batman, huh? I suppose you've got the ability to fly and summon bats - and kick rear end!" "No, actually, I don't have any powers at all."

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Should that be :thor:, or :forsooth:?

:thorsooth:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

And surviving.

Being in the close proximity of John Constantine and surviving pretty much makes you the most powerful being in the universe.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

But doesn't being one of the most powerful beings in the universe increase the chances of John Constantine loving with you?

When you become the most powerful being in the universe I would assume you'd also gain enough knowledge to get the gently caress away from Constantine (like the Swamp Thing did).

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Sentinel Red posted:

Chas is God?

Well, one of Constantine's friends turned out to be be the once and future king of England so its not exactly unprecedented.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Decius posted:

So? It still gets brought up regularly, including this very forum. Because it was so dumb and looks even more so now, because it references the hot stuff of yesterday, failed social network MySpace.

But it was done better years ago:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Doom Mathematic posted:

I kind of assumed he had been named after the folk hero. In-universe, I mean. And that's why he started using a hammer?

That's the New Frontier version.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

prefect posted:

Is there anything special about the Martian Manhunter when compared to other Martians, other than not being dead? Is he just another Martian, or is he particularly good at Martianing?

Yeah:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Endless Mike posted:

I Hate Fairyland is good and fun if you enjoy Skottie Young's art.

It looks to be selling well, too, so I imagine he'll be on it for awhile.

I Hate Image Comics is also worth a a gander.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Shovelmint posted:

This was one of the highlights of free comic book day this year.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Her meeting Spawn was pretty adorable though. He just wanted someone to hang out with.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

I believe it used - first half of the last century, maybe - to be somewhat common for people to go by their middle name but keep their first initial. H. Rider Haggard or W. Somerset Maugham, for example.

There's one scene in To Kill a Mockingbird where Scout sits in on a meeting of Aunt Alexandra's ladies' meeting, one of whom pontificates about the activities of a missionary named "J. Grimes Everett" and ever since I read it, "J. Grimes Everett" has been the most American name ever to me.

The S in Harry S. Truman doesn't stand for anything, he literally just had the letter S as a middle name.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

joehonkie posted:

You would think what with all the times Namor has helped superheroes or been at war with them, Atlantis existing would be pretty commonly available knowledge.

See: Marvels.

For a long time Batman comics was written to imply that the existence of Batman was considered an urban legend in Gotham despite the fact he appeared on official UN-conferences.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Keeshhound posted:

Alternatively, they know he exists, they just don't believe he actually patrols the streets to interrupt petty crime.

I mean, would you believe that Antonio Guterres was dressing like a bat and beating the poo poo out of muggers in New York?

If I saw him dressed as a bat with other costumed crimefighter it wouldn't be a huge leap of faith.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

In Norway Batman was translated as Lyn-Vingen:

(which translates into the Flash-Wing)

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

System Metternich posted:

I can't seem to find it anymore, but I once saw a great video on Youtube that had this clip of the Netflix series seamlessly devolve into ISIS propaganda and it fit perfectly because Jesus, what the gently caress Netflix?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Chip Zdarsky is basically the living embodiment of funny panels:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Wasn't that Skrull Spider-Woman?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Endless Mike posted:

Well, he gets brain damage a few issues in and becomes nice

That just makes him even more unbearable.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

prefect posted:

You can mess somebody up with just one car battery.

Yeah, that guy is dead.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

A Strange Aeon posted:

I've never seen this version of the Batmobile before--was this car cool in the late 80s or something? I do like the little Bat Rims, though. From Justice League International, Annual 1988.

So no one in DC knows what batty-boy means?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Nessus posted:

Given that this is 1980s DC, I'd say this is more like the famous boner panels than "ha ha, Joker's gay for Batman"

It wasn't just the 1980s DC:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

ConfusedUs posted:

That tub looks like a big tankard (like for beer)

The sagas mentions a king named Fjölnir who one night became extremely drunk and drowned in a vat of mead.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

chitoryu12 posted:

There’s an actual Norse myth where Mjolnir is stolen by Thrymr who wants Freyja as his bride in return.

Loki and Thor jump into action by having Thor dress up as the Freyja with a veil, thanks to him having the same long blonde hair. There’s even a moment where Thor nearly blows his cover by scarfing down half the buffet table, and Loki covers for him by saying “Yeah she didn’t eat anything this week...because she’s excited.” The bad guy puts Thor in his lap and gives “her” the hammer, at which point Thor reveals his real identity and beats the poo poo out of everyone.

We really need this adaptation.
The original Þrymskviða is really funny as well:
Loki spake:
I0. "Trouble I have, | and tidings as well:
Thrym, king of the giants, | keeps thy hammer,
And back again | shall no man bring it
If Freyja he wins not | to be his wife."

11. Freyja the fair | then went they to find
Hear now the speech | that first he spake:
"Bind on, Freyja, | the bridal veil,
For we two must haste | to the giants' home."

12. Wrathful was Freyja, | and fiercely she snorted,
And the dwelling great | of the gods was shaken,
And burst was the mighty | Brisings' necklace:
"Most lustful indeed | should I look to all
If I journeyed with thee | to the giants' home."

13. Then were the gods | together met,
And the goddesses came | and council held,
And the far-famed ones | a plan would find,
How they might Hlorrithi's | hammer win.

14. Then Heimdall spake, | whitest of the gods,
Like the Wanes he knew | the future well:
"Bind we on Thor | the bridal veil,
Let him bear the mighty | Brisings' necklace;

15. "Keys around him | let there rattle,
And down to his knees | hang woman's dress;
With gems full broad | upon his breast,
And a pretty cap | to crown his head."

16. Then Thor the mighty | his answer made:
"Me would the gods | unmanly call
If I let bind | the bridal veil."

17. Then Loki spake, | the son of Laufey:
"Be silent, Thor, | and speak not thus;

Freyja suffers no fool.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

PicklePants posted:

Also.. how is Captain Devil America Dinosaur going to use that shield?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Wanderer posted:

Potatoes are extinct too. There's a story by Garth Ennis where Dredd visits Ireland and the villain of the piece finds out that all the "potatoes" are a substitute made from mashed-up rice.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was revealed that Ennis insists on a "Ireland" clause in all his contracts.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Esplanade posted:

It'd pretty much undercut one of the main things we're willing to suspend disbelief over, but has there ever been a superhero who's actually suffered brain damage from constantly being beaten unconscious?

In Y: The Last Man some of the characters pointed out that it's hard to punch someone hard enough to beat them unconscious and that it's harmful.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Darthemed posted:

Everyone remembers the compelling and intense rivalry between Rogue and Dazzler, right?

Dazzler #28

That's not tidy at all.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

One of my favorite bits from Knightfall is Gordon being incredibly shocked when he turns away, turns back around and Batman is still there.

And then in No Man's Land he yells at Batman for always disappearing.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

prefect posted:

I don't remember the midgets, but he did park a steamroller on top of Wolvie to keep him still for a while, which I think is pretty cool.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Rhyno posted:

That was the story where the crime midgets were kidnapping people and cutting their legs off at the knee.

And then dressed them up as garden gnomes..

But it was a lot of fun:

Alhazred fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jan 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aoWVRhgEqI