Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Say Nothing posted:

The real Archie comics had so much weird innuendo, there's entire tumblrs dedicated to it.

http://archieoutofcontext.tumblr.com/

I don't know what's weirder about that frame--that someone (Archie?) won't wear pants, or that Jughead is enraged about it. Frankly, him enraged about anything is weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

As a disabled person on food stamps, I'd totally be on board the Taco Drone movement. :911:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

This very situation became a running gag on Batman: Brave and the Bold. It was usually G'nort who would exclaim about the one punch knock out though, as Ted was long replaced by Jaime at that point.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Ah, the old "Bedrock Bump effect" eh?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

delfin posted:

More Head Trauma Hal:

(Flash v1 #246)

I'm going to assume that Hal was too embarrassed to mention this one when the Oans picked Woodrue to be one of the New Guardians...

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

If you read ASB&R as Frank Miller writing Batman as if he was always written the way everyone was writing him at the time the book came out (and remember this was during the whole Spoiler-Robin era where everything had to be awful) then it goes from being unintentionally funny to being completely intentionally funny. And almost an apology from Miller for being directly responsible for ruining Batman for everyone. Heck, after "The goddamned Batman" became a meme, he only put it in the script more.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Sizone posted:

Black Racer

Darkseid

Orion

These aren't the dumbest names, they are the most loving metal.

Okay, he's good at super names. But if he had one fault, it was in naming civilian Aliases. "O' Ryan" "Ike Harris" he wasn't even trying.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Random Stranger posted:

Liefeld would get a stern talking to.

Kirby seems like the kinda fatherly figure where disappointing him feels even worse than getting a beating.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Yeah, I've only read a review summary of the Youngblood story, but it seemed like a good idea, blossoming ideas hinted at in the Supreme run about ramifications from the fictional previous ages of the Image super universe. Unfortunately, rather than following the Supreme run's style of having very carefully chosen art styles to create a love letter to all of comics history, Rob just drew the stuff himself and undercut all the quality.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

So many details in that page. I like how Millennium is basically covered up...

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Ghostlight posted:

Other than the Future Sports™ most of 2000AD holds up.

I've so far read the first 75 issues of the book in the last year (I do everything sloooowly) and the future sports aren't too bad besides the point where they literally recycled their own plot, having the exact same characters try to sabotage the team in the exact same ways. It's stuff like Shako that feels uninspired and a waste of space to me.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Prison Warden posted:

I'd forgotten Shako so much I had to look up what it was. I'm really just glad that sometimes wiki writers have a sense of humour.

I'd forgotten how wordy comics could be... the amount of self-narration these characters have ranges from a little bizarre...

To the downright mental

To be fair, that wiki really isn't wrong. It's pretty predictable, with each issue's story pretty much being "mustache twirling jackass gets his gun/vehicle/whatever to go kill the drat bear. He slips or something, and the bear eats him. end." There's a subplot about 2/3rds in where this craphead kid Eskimo decides to be nice to the bear and protect him, despite the fact that the bear's already killed like fifty people. Several people die because of that boy.

Like I said, I'm about 75 progs in now (and have a LOT to go) and I'm already seeing a pattern. Good stories they write more and more until the writer's clearly tired of it (Judge Dredd never ends). Crummy stories (usually filled with overly obvious plots and that selfsame overnarration) might last like, 8 or 10 installments. I suspect this will remain true to today's progs.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I picture him sticking his arms straight out and just spinning around the room by the power of the force.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

FredMSloniker posted:

Unfortunately, this is an obvious photoshop. I presume he said he can see.

As someone with severe kidney problems, I think it's hardly a laughing matter. :colbert:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Nyeehg posted:

Who's that with Storm? Kitty Pryde?

Looks like Logan to me. With a fancy red belt.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Chaos Hippy posted:

No one was willing to actually taste a fruit pie to find out.

Screw you, Fruit Pies are amazing. The myriad villains are correct, you'd have to be CRAZY not to like them.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I...I can't believe the madness this thread has taken.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Is that a Destroyer Thor?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Speaking of PSA tie in comics, I had a bunch of old Popeye Career Path comics we found by the school's dumpster when I was a kid. Basically it's Popeye and the gang teaching high schoolers about what jobs they might look into to make things easy for guidance counselors. Then there's the lady cops that have to try to convince hookers to go straight.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I'll allow Zack Morris. There's A. the time freezing ability already discussed, and discounting that, B. recall that the original League led by Gulliver had Fanny Hill on it, and all she did in either her original story or Moore's version was go on vagina-based adventures. (as much as I love everything LoEG, Moore really shouldn't have written Lost Girls and Black Dossier so close together. The sex level starts getting silly and at times a little insulting to the original characters. The Blakeneys becoming bisexual swinging sex maniacs in particular.)

Also side note, the paintings in the back are supposed to be representative of past singular characters, and not necessarily ones in the League. Note the 80's image has all iconic 70s people in the backdrop.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

David D. Davidson posted:

Also where the hell is David Bowie in either of them?
Hell you could probably make a League of Extraordinary Bowies?

Who do you think M is by the time the 80's iteration rolls around?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Shameless posted:

Major Tom, Ziggy Stardust, the Thin White Duke, Pierrot (from Ashes to Ashes), Nathan Adler, Jareth from Labyrinth, Thomas Jerome Newton from The Man Who Fell to Earth.

I'd buy it.

Hell, he's already got another like, half-dozen more characters fro Outside alone. Goddamn does Crisis on Infinite Bowies need to happen.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

WickedHate posted:

This used to be funny but it just kind of creeps me out now that I recognize Jessica Jones/Jewel.

I'm pleased by Spiral's four-flogger technique.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Alacron posted:

All I know is that the X-Men arcade game was loosely based on Pryde of the X-Men, which didn't have Gambit in it.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure a lot of the art assets are directly from that. Perhaps the voice samples too, it's been some time. And man, I totally thought both were several years older than 1992. I couldn't have been already twelve when they came out? I thought they were firmly 80s products...

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

It's Wolfie and Mind Reader.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Perestroika posted:

Rat Queens continues to be pretty fun.

(Rat Queens #12)

I like how three fingers are being held up for "two things". I'm guessing this character isn't too high on the INT stats...

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Here lies the only good Fear Itself tie-in

Marvel Graphic Novel #72

Man would I have loved the poo poo out of this as an image on a folder I bought like at the book fair in 4th grade.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

mind the walrus posted:

that implies you wouldn't put that image on a folder you'd use at your job now :colbert:

I'd need a job first instead of being a disabled waste of space.

:smith:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Random Stranger posted:

What? Don't you like Clive Barker's Razorline?

I never read Hyperkind, and I only got a few issues into Hokum and Hex mostly out of laziness, but what I did read of Razorline was pretty good. First of course there's the Harrowers spin off of Hellraiser using the characters from Clive Barker's story in the original comic, which is great because these guys are terrible at their job. Like, New Guardians level terrible. And after just a few issues up and quit. Barker himself has used the term "Harrowers" for people who fight Pinhead several times since.

Then there's Saint Sinner, totally unrelated to the syfy channel original movie some years back besides the name. In it a dude is possessed by both an angel and a demon. He initially gets thrown in alien jail and during the escape attempt he dicks over one of the prisoners just cause the devil side tells him to. But shortly after that the series gets all kinds of trippy and weird.

Ectokid is about a dude in NOLA whose father was a ghost. He wears an eyepatch and when he switches eyes for it can see and interact with the ghost world. It was pretty good, and crossed over with Saint Sinner at one point. Started out written by James Robertson, and then later the Wachowskis took over.

Hyperkind seemed dumb. Just an average "group of teens get superpowers and go up against shadowy agency" deal. Most of the characters on that poster are from that.

I should go back and read Hokum & Hex. It was really good and post modern, skewering the medium. This average schmo somehow gets powers cosmic, but his day job is as a gag style magician, so like, he fights threats with card tricks and rubber chickens. Meanwhile, there's some great ideas in there like, the earth about to be taken over by a race of religious fundamentalist missionaries that are super polite and kind to everyone, or then an intergalactic bounty hunter that's totally not Angela from Spawn that is completely inept and hopes catching the protagonist will make her finally get a real career...it's a lot of fun.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Selachian posted:

Armata (red and gold armor), Logix (silver cape guy), Bliss (tits), Amokk (non-rear end-wiper), Ectokid (eyepatch), Saint Sinner (jacket and shades), Trip Munroe (sparkly lapels guy). Don't recognize the big yellow one.

(And looking at that pic, it is nice to realize how much Steve Skroce has improved as an artist.)

I could be mistaken, but I think the yellow guy is the wonderfully named "Gorkill Corpus", one of those over-polite missionary alien invaders, who decides he actually thinks life on earth is pretty nifty and defects, becoming a good guy.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Evil Mastermind posted:

That really is a great "well, I'll be damned" expression.

I absolutely love that page's art. Adam's got a perfect "I can't even be mad" look to him.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

SynthOrange posted:

Implants are implants. Wetware is your biological material.

uh, if you look at that comic page again, you'll clearly see they refer to that as meatware
:goonsay:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

I thought Spoiler was a teenager. She looks nothing like a teenager.

You know how the old song goes...
You are sixteen, going on twenty-eight...

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

We're talking about how we got into comics now?

Well early on my grandparents on both sides had random assortment of stuff for the grandkids to waste time with, including comics. I'd get random like, Disney comics as cheapo gifts that I'd read, and they'd have ratty old Tarzan or Lois Lane comics which I read the hell out of (the former even had cool extra features like a ape-to-man translation guide). However, as a little brother, the phases my older brother went through often had much longer effects on me than they did on him. There's lots that I still am fanatical about that were passing crazes to him, like punk or goth music, or horror movies. In the 80s he got into comics at random, but wasn't very picky about it. He would grab whatever covers looked cool, caring less about over-arching stories. At the time, as my mom was taking both of us to the LCBS, I would end up getting things based on if they looked funny, like Groo, or Captain Carrot, or "Mazin Man, or Ambush Bug. I regret none of those purchases. Later I would start going through the "adolescent" comic phase, right when X-Men fanaticism was an all time high, and the Image revolution was just starting, so I tried to pay attention to all his old back issues, and I started realizing things could be pretty awesome, and found myself enjoying things like old Avengers back issues, or his random assortment of Transformers comics (including the whole awesome arc where Megatron kills everyone except Ratchet, and then blackmails him into going and digging up the Dinobots in the Savage Land). The rest is history.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I have no idea how to search for the drat things, but my favorite of the cracked doctored spider-man comic strips is the one where Mysterio is gay for Spider-Man, just because it gets exponentially funnier if you read it out loud with proper inflection and timing.

"Spider-Man...I'm gay...FOR YOU!" "NO!"

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

ibntumart posted:

Were these from an SA thread or someplace else? I've only seen the JJ Limp Bizkit one before and now I need to see the rest.

Like I said, early days of cracked. Like, just before they started getting to be a popular site years back.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

ibntumart posted:

Was this the strip you were talking about?

Looks like there's a collection here.

Yes that's it exactly. The little "No!" at the end kills me each time.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I hope noone punches me in the face...

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I'm just frankly amazed at how far-reaching the fact that bricks are spider-sense proof apparently is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

So Far. This is nerd collectibles we're talking here, give it a few months and Marvel will probably press it out.