Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Hakkesshu posted:

I'm not a big fan of Gillen necessarily, though I do think he's done some real quality stuff, but I bought Phonogram for like $3 'cause it was on sale and it is one of the most insufferable goddamn things I have ever read, holy poo poo. It just makes me want to punch a thing, preferrably his face.

This. Phonogram v1 is self-indulgent poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I think the Spider Man No More! art is probably one of the most homaged I can think of, though (x) is a jerk is probably a close second.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Hulk Smash! posted:

What's more ridiculous than Stilt-Man? The way that Stilt-Man was defeated by DD in their first matchup.

Daredevil no.8

You'd think that after escaping the hellscape that she'd want a change of clothes. If only so that looking in the mirror didn't trigger her PTSD constantly.

Like to point out how expressive and clean this art was, for >1964<. Wally Wood was the man.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

The weird thing is it's mostly SG herself who seems to be oddly drawn. Look at Cap, Spidey, Widow, etc. in that last page and they're all fine to me. It's just Squirrel Girl and friends who have bizarre googly eyes, lumpen noses, and pronounced lips. Or maybe that's the joke?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Goffer posted:

(Marvel Super-Heroes vol. 2, #8 1991 according to wikipedia)

Well Ace Frehley was releasing albums at the time...

EDIT-poo poo Ace had the space mask it was Paul who had the star

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I read the entire Squirrel Girl comic and I take it back. Taken as a whole the art does admirably service the comic, but cherry picked panels/pages can look a little weird.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Man Benedict Arnold got such a raw deal.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

"trans vaginal mesh"?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

The weird thing is I know who Iron Jaw is (served with Hitler in WWI, got his jaw blown off, etc.), but when did he get an ape body?

Also in looking him up, apparently the copyright has expired on Iron Jaw and he's now in the public domain. Atomic Robo character find of 2016?? Get on it Clevinger.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

That Crystar re-appearance is relatively old right? Like not this week, I'm thinking Secret Wars Weird World 1/2 right?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Is that Ghost Boxes? I assume it is because it's astonishing x men, and it sucks, and that describes Ellis' Ghost Box run in two simple to understand criteria. Should probably win some kind of award for most disappointing followup in the history of comics.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

X-O posted:

You like Darkhawk because Darkhawk is rad. Now that Moon Knight has been brought back in recent years and it looks like Cloak and Dagger might have a resurgence due to an upcoming TV show that makes Darkhawk my number one bottom tier character I want to get some love in the comics.

I'm pulling for Sleep Walker

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

All this Gwenpool talk made me want to re-read so I started re-reading what I had. Then I realized it started as a mini in howard the duck so I read those first. Then I realized howard the duck crossed over with Squirrel girl so I had to re-read those too. The lesson here is, never start re-reading something.

Also, is it just me or is there some kind of parallel "weird" marvel going on with the Howard the Duck - Squirrel Girl - Gwenpool axis going on? It's like they're in their own inter-related universe but not part of the larger one.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

MikeJF posted:

It's basically that there's a limit to how deliberately wacky you can get in mainstream books, whereas those three can jump into each other's books at full strength and keep going like they were in their own, so it's much easier to write their link-ups. Crossing to mainstream necessitates a tonal shift to some degree on at least one half's part.

Yeah that's probably a good way to quantify the phenomenon. I obviously didn't think canonically those titles are zoned off in EARTH-WEIRD or anything, but they seem to inter-operate with each other in ways that other comics don't, even when that comic is "in-genre". For example even though Spider Man is super tight with the Avengers, it doesn't "feel" like they share a universe the same way, it's more like there's some avengers stories with spider man, and some spider man stories without the avengers. Again, this is all subjective, but Howard/SG/Gwenpool seem more like they all kind of exist simultaneously, and the stories we read are just the ones we've managed to witness out of countless other interactions. There's no real declaration of which is better, or if there's an objective truth to that "feeling", just a pointless observation I've made.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Is that... Trad Moore? I'm getting a real Luthor Strode vibe.

Also, hamburger gun.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Show us the niffleheim birth certificate Loki

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

OK that looked incredibly stupid and then they shoehorned in the catchphrases and it became gold

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Lurdiak posted:

Of all the Batman villains, Joker probably cares the most about the perception of his crimes. He reaaally wants people to get his weirdo crazy-rear end point. So yeah, he would be worried about racism muddling the message.

Yeah, he's no NAZI or anything.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Man sorry guys, I didn't know what I would start with my NAZI Joker one off. I will say that in my mind that's one of the highlights of an incredibly weak story.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Have they touched on Jughead's mysterious hypnosis hat pin that makes the ladies go crazy in the new ones?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

goatface posted:

I was trying to work out what StoryNotKamala referred to.

Wouldn't Story->Kamala work better?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I could be wrong, but I seem to remember Identity Crisis happening at the same time BSS was getting going. I remember the GBS mega thread, and I remember a lot of avatars getting bought speculating about the identity of the perp and people bitching about "stupid comic book avatars". One of the first mods was Bolt Vanderhuge I think?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I think in the past someone has said it's actually his brother writing it.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Rhyno posted:

Five years ago myself and my store were a part of a sting with the Indiana State Police tracking pedophiles. Any male over the age of 13 who purchased cards was flagged as a probably sex offender.

I'm in favour of this policy.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Lobok posted:

Seek out crime just by swinging around I mean. He could follow leads or get info from cops or Avengers. But he was getting mad at Octavius for not spending his night out just hoping to come across something when Ock had a surveillance system set up already.

I've often wondered how efficient the "hang out until crime happens" method would actually be. Not very I'm assuming.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

qntm posted:

I can't believe it took me this long to find out that Superman's favourite Metallica album is canonically Justice For All.

I'm more a Ride the Lightning man but at least it wasn't Black Album (did that exist then?)

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Elfface posted:

Howard the Duck vol. 6, number 6

A few pages ago, Squirrel girl convinced Kraven the Hunter to do something a little more heroic. He will now be the hunter of hunters!

In my head I always imagine the Police Squad! theme starts playing in the second last panel

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I gave up on Batman after We Are Robin, is that guy in yellow with the bat-chuks Duke?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I just read a Deadpool & Spiderman comic where Deadpool blows off the top of the CN tower to use as a missile to stab a kaiju monster in the eye and through the brain. My brain kind of shut down after that.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Ballsyto be pre-dating the PUSA with the three string guitars

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Oh, Spidey Super Stories:

They could adapt Spidey Super Stories straight into Deadpool and I'm not sure if people would notice.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah, they're doing horribly at never shipping.

Haha! Ouch.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Samuringa posted:

I haven't read it yet but the one thing that gets almost universal praise in Mistborn is how Sanderson designs the way magic works.

It's great if you love reading pages and pages of so and so pushed/pulled the thinger interspersed with so and so burned (metal). It's loving worse than Wheel of Time's adjusted skirt/pulled braid nonsense.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

There's a good bit in that issue that feels very Hastings-y where her dad is describing how cool he is. Still blows my mind that he's "made it", hopefully he keeps on truckin and does some mega event like Gwens of Future Past or something.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

What would happen if young and old cyclops had a staring contest? Just constant punching on an infinite loop?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Badass thread got me re-reading Secret Wars. From #6

I've always wondered on the second page when he's eating, why is the drool (?) going down his chin if he's upside down?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Where does Smax fit into this

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I always thought shaman was a neat character though Lord knows not much was done with him

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

KaosMachina posted:

I think I'm the weird person out because The Invisibles clicked for me but The Filth didn't.

That makes sense, the Filth to me is Invisibles with all the crap cut out. Fewer characters, fewer viewpoints, less background, shorter timeframe, but still exploring a similar central concept. I think Invisibles has more heart but The Filth is remarkably lean in some ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Alhazred posted:

Yeah, that guy is dead.

Rubber batteries.

Honest.