Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Elissimpark posted:

Would it be harder to get Kirby dots or glitter out of a shag carpet?

I am still finding paper confetti in things like guitars and LPs from New Years parties my parents threw starting in 1971.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Maybe he needs them for reading.

Why are the 'dog-crooks' human bodies with dog heads?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Considering a forum name change to, “Whuppin Datasskovich”

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

davidspackage posted:

The Scorpion retires for another day, satisfied that his presence has protected the desert dwellers from desert crime.

Does he ride back to his lair on a Frogmobile?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

At least Latrobe was spared, so we could enjoy delicious locally-brewed Rolling Rock (until Inbev ruined it)

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Pretty sure that was the final panel

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Fantomius, the Gentleman Duck Thief?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Parallax error was something I trained to compensate for in news photography class, a million years ago, when some still used non-SLR cameras.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Splint Chesthair posted:

I loved the HtD movie when I was a kid, so one day I went to the comic shop looking for back issues. I found those two Star Wars parody issues, and the one where Howard suffers concussion-induced hallucinations after fleeing to Canada after his aborted presidential campaign.

They were very confusing to me at 9 years old.

I note a trend.

(full disclosure: I paid $5.50 American to see Leah Thompson and a duck at a theater when it came out)

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Electric_Mud posted:

So I went and checked this out and after enjoying the first book I discovered the most amazing pages

There's some quality writing in there

This was a fabulous read! Thank you!

Truly some creative writing. That must have taken a great deal of effort to do so well.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Kwyndig posted:

If you steal them from the past they're not antiques, merely contemporary items made in an antique style. It's the passage of time that makes them antique. Better off burying them somewhere and dig them up in the present.

This reminds of the Twilight Zone episode "Of Late I Think of Cliffordville." In 1963, a rich old gently caress makes a deal with the devil to go back in time to 1910 and buy oil-producing acreage for cheap, only to face the dawning realization that the required extraction technology won't exist until 1937.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Uh-huh and why not?

That's actually a well-known UFO legend.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Space-tarts, dropping from the sky, is no basis for a system for Brazilian farmhands to get laid!

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Darthemed posted:

Plastic Man #63 (1956)
Looks like some last-minute dialogue changes took place.

Narrator: There was no net

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

"What's that commotion coming up the elevator shaft??"

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

from what I remember of history we did in no particular order: 1066 and William The Conqueror, Henry VIII and the Tudor/Stuart period, a bit on the Renaissance, the War Of The Roses, maybe The Peasants Revolt, a lot on the Industrial revolution, some on WW1 & the English Civil War. Bear in mind, I'm trying to recall history lessons I did 30+ years ago, but those were the ones I remember and there wasn't a lot on WW2

US expat, in UK-curriculum schools from 3rd grade (1970) to 9th (1977)

Concur on the above, although we also had the various invasions by the Angles & Romans thrown in as well.

Spent at least a week on the War Of The Roses. Read everything Rosemary Sutcliffe wrote (highly recommend her historical quasi-fiction)

Had no US history until 10th grade. Knew nothing about the Civil War except that there was one; my US History teacher looked at me like I had lobsters growing out of my forehead. I in turn thought "Antietam" had to be a typo.

I'll say this: after several years of UK history I had a complete understanding of why the Founding Fathers were determined to separate church & state.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Feb 28, 2024

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

ImpAtom posted:

Strong words coming from a woman who hosed Ben Franklin.

To be fair, Ben Franklin probably hosed anything that stood still long enough. He was very discreet about it, though.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

They had years, yet, to endure before the power of WMMR 93.3FM hit them!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

One More Fat Nerd posted:

We had several issues of this and a related comic called, I think, Megalith. They were all very gross and bloody and I probably should not have been reading them at 6.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone else reference their existence.

In second grade a classmate, John Anderson, brought in some of his older brother’s “cool” comics.

They were William F Gaines pre-code horror pieces, probably Creepy or Eerie.

I remember the place, time and the classmate because holy poo poo they were full of anatomically accurate rotted, animated corpses and gore as graphic as anything I have ever seen ever, in my 61-years and they nearly made me physically ill right then & there. How I didn’t hurl remains a mystery.