Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Yeah Windwaker is still my favorite Zelda game to date and a big part of that is the art style they used.

I just think the outrage wasn't because people specifically hate cell-shaded games but more that they were expecting something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amishjosh
Jul 16, 2004
Yeah

Panzer Skank posted:

Yeah here's the loving amazing graphics people creamed their pants over

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEF9Utdu-L0

I'm so salty people looked at this lumpy terrible tech demo and were like "THESE ARE THE GRAPHICS I'VE DREAMED OF ALL MY LIFE, WHAT IS THIS CARTOON BULLSHIT". Windwaker is one of the most stylish beautiful games ever made and basically set the standard for a lot of stylized graphics in the future. People were mad bc they wanted more of crewcut Gannondorf i swear to frickin god

Christ, that's what people were originally so drat angry about? Wind Waker(to be fair, I've only ever seen the gameplay from this lp) looks a hell of a lot nicer.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:
I didn't like Wind Waker because of Link's ugly face, but I warmed up to it later once I actually saw other characters in the previews.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I think it was a different era. Tech advancements were so fast back then that people were seeing, and wanted to see, more and more realism and fidelity; art and style kind of took a back seat. Nowadays it seems like big leaps in technical prowess are becoming more and more minor so you start to kind of appreciate something that stands out for other reasons.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
IIRC I hated the Wind Waker graphics when it was just screenshots, but once I saw an animated trailer I realized it's really good. Or something like that (it was more than a decade ago).

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Veotax posted:

That was never a game, that was a tech demo. Were they also mad that we never got Super Mario 128 (nothing but platform with 128 Marios running around) or Meowth's party?

Anyone who was upset about 'Celda' was an rear end in a top hat.

I'm upset we never got Meowth's party. :colbert:

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
Here's the full version of that Spaceworld 2000 promo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zr0Nu24OCU

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Also, here is the Wii U equivalent of that Zelda demo, which also looks nothing like the upcoming Wii U Zelda.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_fyOkrteqM

snograt
Jul 18, 2013

rattus rattus
senile old twattus
This and Ocarina are the only two Zeldas that I return to periodically. Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword, good though they were, just didn't have the charm of those two.

Might give TP another stab when the HD version drops.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

snograt posted:

This and Ocarina are the only two Zeldas that I return to periodically. Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword, good though they were, just didn't have the charm of those two.

Might give TP another stab when the HD version drops.

I'm noticing that you haven't mentioned Majora's Mask. If you haven't played it, you should fix that.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Vicas posted:

ehh, for all the flaws we pointed out I still think this is a really good game, if not necessarily Geop's favorite kinda game. It's definitely a bit too much to do a total blind LP of, which is why it's probably for the best that we didn't stop off at every single island

Which one sounds worse 'Shame that the game wasn't better' or 'Shame that Geop couldn't enjoy the game'

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.
I think someone pointed out once during another LP that Wind Waker was just fine the way it was, because back then photorealistic Zelda would have aged badly. And damned if they weren't right, looking at that tech demo (seriously, it looks like a butt that was spat out from several butts.)

snograt posted:

Skyward's only real sin was that as the anniversary game, they just had to jam it full of references to the all the other titles. Take all of that out and fill it full of new stuff instead, and it's likely to not be nearly so bad. Twilight's issue is that it's just a bit too long, with rather meaningless large amounts of money all over the place.

Also, Ocarina isn't nearly as good as Majora's Mask, so go play a good game instead. :colbert:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

SorataYuy posted:

I think someone pointed out once during another LP that Wind Waker was just fine the way it was, because back then photorealistic Zelda would have aged badly. And damned if they weren't right, looking at that tech demo (seriously, it looks like a butt that was spat out from several butts.)
At least it didn't look as bad as this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oav_0MiyJpA

CapitanAwesome
Apr 22, 2008

DROP YOUR PANTS, I'M A PROFESSIONAL.

Panzer Skank posted:

Yeah here's the loving amazing graphics people creamed their pants over

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEF9Utdu-L0

I'm so salty people looked at this lumpy terrible tech demo and were like "THESE ARE THE GRAPHICS I'VE DREAMED OF ALL MY LIFE, WHAT IS THIS CARTOON BULLSHIT". Windwaker is one of the most stylish beautiful games ever made and basically set the standard for a lot of stylized graphics in the future. People were mad bc they wanted more of crewcut Gannondorf i swear to frickin god

Honestly, Wind Waker when I was younger helped me stop being one of those assholes going "Ugh bring in the realistic zelda what the gently caress", and just judge games on what they are instead of the graphical poo poo. So I appreciate it a whole hell of a lot for that.

snograt
Jul 18, 2013

rattus rattus
senile old twattus

SorataYuy posted:

Also, Ocarina isn't nearly as good as Majora's Mask, so go play a good game instead. :colbert:

I'm currently playing the easyfied 3DS version. MM is good, yes - I'm just one of those weirdoes who prefers Ocarina.

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

snograt posted:

I'm currently playing the easyfied 3DS version. MM is good, yes - I'm just one of those weirdoes who prefers Ocarina.

Fair enough, personal preference is more than allowable. :)

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Robert Denby posted:

At least it didn't look as bad as this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oav_0MiyJpA

I want this Zelda. This is an interpretation of Link I can really relate too.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Just got caught up on this thread. Thanks for all the laughs.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Honestly I tried to play Skyward Sword a few months ago but the controls were just abominable. The Loftwing just wouldn't listen and kept sinking to the cloud layer, scooting it's butt along it like it had worms.

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

BioEnchanted posted:

Honestly I tried to play Skyward Sword a few months ago but the controls were just abominable. The Loftwing just wouldn't listen and kept sinking to the cloud layer, scooting it's butt along it like it had worms.

...Are you sure you didn't just misunderstand the controls? They were slightly less than clear in the controls for gaining altitude the first time you need them.

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Press X to jump, then press X again!
Toilet Rascal

SorataYuy posted:

...Are you sure you didn't just misunderstand the controls? They were slightly less than clear in the controls for gaining altitude the first time you need them.

Well, the controls are awful. Can you use the MotionPlus controller super-accurately? Great! That means you can defeat bosses and progress. If not? Get ready for a half-hour slogfest of battering your head against the first boss until you get juuuuust the right motions.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

WFGuy posted:

Get ready for a half-hour slogfest of battering your head against the first Skulltula until you get juuuuust the right motions.

It took me half the game to realize I could flip them over with the tip of my sword. Instead I was doing almost frame-perfect shield bashes during their lunge attack.
Not to mention that the loving remote's zero-point drifted if you dared tilt it too far while using that loving beetle. Motion controls are never not the worst.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Kuvo and I have de-doppleganged ourselves at long last. Thanks again to Akogare for the doodle-turned-avatar :3:

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

WFGuy posted:

Well, the controls are awful. Can you use the MotionPlus controller super-accurately? Great! That means you can defeat bosses and progress. If not? Get ready for a half-hour slogfest of battering your head against the first boss until you get juuuuust the right motions.

Sorry you have some sort of spastic flailing arm disorder.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
Man y'all have some bad opinions about the best Zelda game (the motion controls were great, the bellows were the only bad item, and the characters and story were miles better than any other Zelda except maybe this one)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Veotax posted:

Also, here is the Wii U equivalent of that Zelda demo, which also looks nothing like the upcoming Wii U Zelda.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_fyOkrteqM

The thing that bugs me about this is that the Wii U uses a more traditional controller, barring screen, so there's no need for Link to still be right handed. Us lefties need our role model back!

At least he's a lefty again in TPHD.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jan 6, 2016

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Geop posted:

Kuvo and I have de-doppleganged ourselves at long last. Thanks again to Akogare for the doodle-turned-avatar :3:
You shoulda switched usernames with him after fixing your avatars

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Ometeotl posted:

Sorry you have some sort of spastic flailing arm disorder.

Nah, the detection is loving horrible. I never beat Ghiranim because the game wouldn't recognise diagonal slashes, and he destroyed me. Also just trying to attack Ghiranim at all because he just grabs the sword every time. I tried again a month ago, and I still couldn't hit him at all.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
I haven't played Skyward Sword myself (yet), but I recall someone in LP thread saying that the old Motion Plus was pretty bad at actually connecting to the Wiimote. People had much better experience with the new Wiimote Plus, since it has M+ integrated and there's no outward connection to actually mess up. Might be this?

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

Inco posted:

Nah, the detection is loving horrible. I never beat Ghiranim because the game wouldn't recognise diagonal slashes, and he destroyed me. Also just trying to attack Ghiranim at all because he just grabs the sword every time. I tried again a month ago, and I still couldn't hit him at all.

You're supposed to fake him out. Hit him from just about any direction but from the one his arm is nearest. And if the detection is that bad, it sounds like your controller never calibrated properly when you loaded up the game. When they tell you to put it down on a flat surface, they mean put it the hell down, don't just try to hold it perfectly level. I've seen people try this, and end up with a bad calibration because they can't keep their hands perfectly still/they had it tilted.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Aithon posted:

I haven't played Skyward Sword myself (yet), but I recall someone in LP thread saying that the old Motion Plus was pretty bad at actually connecting to the Wiimote. People had much better experience with the new Wiimote Plus, since it has M+ integrated and there's no outward connection to actually mess up. Might be this?

Nah, I had just the attachment version and never had any troubles with the motion controls in SS.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

SorataYuy posted:

You're supposed to fake him out. Hit him from just about any direction but from the one his arm is nearest. And if the detection is that bad, it sounds like your controller never calibrated properly when you loaded up the game. When they tell you to put it down on a flat surface, they mean put it the hell down, don't just try to hold it perfectly level. I've seen people try this, and end up with a bad calibration because they can't keep their hands perfectly still/they had it tilted.

Nah, the problem is that his hand tracks the sword and moves to where I move to strike, and his hand moves as fast as I can move the sword. I don't know if there's a specific trick to it that was never explained or that I never picked up on, but faking him out just never worked.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
You're probably holding the sword to your left in preparation to swing it right, etc. Don't do that.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
yeah with ghirahim it's sorta weird but you gotta hold the sword to one side and then flick the sword to that same side so that #link attacks in that direction, if you just try to move the sword around he will track you

or if you don't wanna do that you can just shield bash him, just like with every puzzle enemy in the game.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

Nidoking posted:

You're probably holding the sword to your left in preparation to swing it right, etc. Don't do that.

How do I swing it left-to-right if it's not on the left to start?

Yggdrasil325
Jul 24, 2011

Inco posted:

How do I swing it left-to-right if it's not on the left to start?

Start on the right, then quickly rotate to the other side (in a circular motion) before doing the swing.
Basically you trick him into thinking you're gonna swing right-to-left, then swing left-to-right before he can react.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

Yggdrasil325 posted:

Start on the right, then quickly rotate to the other side (in a circular motion) before doing the swing.
Basically you trick him into thinking you're gonna swing right-to-left, then swing left-to-right before he can react.

That's what I was trying, maybe I wasn't moving the remote fast enough.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Inco posted:

That's what I was trying, maybe I wasn't moving the remote fast enough.

Not even remotely fast enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Skyward Sword was some of the least fun I've had in a game ever between the nightmare controls, breakable gear, boring overworld, and four areas you had for the whole game. I wish I gave up instead of finishing it. The art style is great though, I think it blows WW out of the water. And Groose is the greatest.

• Locked thread