Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I wonder how hosed housing will be this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
20 minutes!

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Well, I got hosed. 1.5 hour queue.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Last year almost everything connected was sold out in about 30 minutes.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Lawen posted:

That wasn't bad at all. Looked like there were rooms in all the good/downtown hotels still and I was able to get my 2xQueen JW room without a problem.

Hate you.

Congrats. Going to try for JW and then Embassy. After that I'll settle for whatever.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Double bed was booked at JW but I managed to get King. It looked like most of the connected hotels were sold out but I didn't dally for long.

I'll probably go on the waiting list for a double and extension to Tuesday-Sunday if they're doing that this year.

Kaddish fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jan 25, 2015

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I believe they will open the waiting list later this week. If it makes you feel any better I got a room off the waiting list a couple years ago. I got put on the list in January and I had a room in June or July.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Hmm, yeah the wording is kind of weird. We'll have to wait and see.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I wanted a double bed room but I'm too deathly afraid of modifying my reservation if one opens up and having an issue.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
:(

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I think I'm going to try for the All Access D&D thing this year. I roamed the Wizards hall last year and it looked fun. I'm a pretty casual pen and paper player.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Got my ticket for the Terry Brooks book signing. I don't read him anymore but he influenced my literary childhood for sure. I probably have to get something for him to sign other than my ratty 20 year old paperbacks.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
We doing GroupMe this year?

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Merauder posted:

They do demos, and yes, usually their demo area is pretty full. New games always have lines (Armada last year for example), but if you can't get in to actually play a demo or you don't want to wait, it's usually pretty easy to perch next to an active demo and just watch for a while.

I watched Bruno Cathala demo Abyss for Wil Wheaton last year.

Someone came up during the demo to ask for the autograph of....Bruno Cathala. I thought that was cool.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Deviant posted:

So I've been offered a badge and lodging for Gencon, as long as I get myself there and put in some night work hours.

Is it worth $300+Weekend Expenses+3 Days of Short Notice PTO time? I primarily play board games, some light M:TG, and tabletop RPG games, but I'm willing to try basically anything.

Yes!

2.5 weeks bitches!

I'm kinda sorta thinking about selling my Doomtown Reloaded Deluxe that I got last year. (thanks goon that I don't remember the name of for grabbing it for me!)

I never get to play it. Anyone interested?

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Cool, thanks for the link. It seems like this thing is still fairly rare and going for way over retail. I figured if a goon wanted it I would sell it for retail as long as they promised not to immediately resell it, especially since another goon was kind enough to snag my copy for me last year. Nothing wrong with making some extra cash though

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Just realized I get two 70lb checked bags for free, yessssss

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I'll have two things in the auction at least:

Doomtown Reloaded Deluxe
Netrunner collection - Everything up to Honor & Profit, all sleeved.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
With regards to registering stuff for the Auction on Wednesday - it says the on-site Auction computers can't be used but laptops/personal computers can be used. Does this mean the site will be up for registration? How does this work exactly?

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I've still never been to St. Elmo, going to make an effort to take the time this year.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I have a crap load of sleeved netrunner cards that didn't sell in the auction. I don't want to bring them home and will sell cheap. My contact info is in the Google doc or just message me in groupme.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

djfooboo posted:

People said it was more crowded, they are liars. It was about the same, even less at times.

This was only my third Gencon so I'm not a super veteran but I thought it was pretty drat crowded.

Slandible posted:

I wanted a word with that truck and the Shwarma one. I'm from metro detroit, neither of those items were what they claimed to be.

I went to several food trucks and every single one was out of something I waited in line for. I'd rather just go to Loughmillers or something, not worth standing in line for subpar food in my opinion.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Slandible posted:

I went and sat down at a real resturant for dinner each night, but I needed something for mid day. And I was not touching that garbage they sold inside. The food trucks never are very filling, but there are usually a few good tasting ones. The Indian one last year comes to mind, but didn't try hunting it down this year.

I went to the Indian one and it was fine but they were out of rice and for $6 I got a little scoop of palak peneer and a little scoop of tandoori chicken that wasn't tandoori chicken.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Bottom Liner posted:

Favorite games from Gencon were Arcadia Quest, Pocket Imperium, and Flick em Up. Duds for me were Rattle Battle Grab the Loot (great art and components, very meh game), Codenames (just don't buy the hype), and all the games I couldn't find here!

You never played Arcadia Quest with me :(

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I was flipping through my AD&D players handbook last night and saw this on the back page. I either forgot it was there or just overlooked it so many years ago:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Over two thousand people!

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
HERE WE GOOOO

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
3 hours 30 minutes, I'm pretty hosed

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I think last year my time was like 2 hours and I still got JW. 3 and an half hours is ridiculous though.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Everyone worrying about poo poo being available with sub 1 hour queue time are going to be just fine, I promise.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Had to settle for an airport room. This is the first year I didn't get a downtown room - guess my luck had to run out eventually.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
For those without a connected room this year, or any room at all, there is a script posted on reddit that absolutely works. I originally had a room at the airport, then one about 2 miles away. I ran the script for about 3 hours and got JW Marriott, which would have been my first pick anyway. Well worth a look.

The only caveat is you can't have an existing reservation because you'll need a key that you can only see when first attempting to reserve something. In my case I used my buddies badge but then altered my existing reservation when JW popped up. I had the script text me and snagged the room about 2 minutes after it became available.

Kaddish fucked around with this message at 17:40 on May 10, 2016

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Here is the link to the GitHub page:

https://github.com/mrozekma/gencon-hotel-check

You'll need Python installed and basic knowledge on how to run a script.

Here is the reddit thread:

h**ps://www.reddit.com/r/gencon/comments/4clh4b/free_gencon_downtown_hotel_alerts/

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I definitely want to do the AEG game night on Friday. It sells out every year pretty quick but they always seem to have good swag. As well they should for the price.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Backno posted:

Avalon, aka the game that makes people question if I am ever telling the truth.

You are a known liar! Never trust Backno!

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Just kidding, you're alright. Less than a month!!

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Don't buy the board game library pass. Its not worth it unless you have a group of 4+ who are DEF. gonna play board games all week with you

I attend with one other friend and we always get passes for all time slots. We've met some interesting people over the years, it's fun to try whatever game we can find on the shelves, and it's a place we know we can go to play our purchases. We've also assembled a few goon games there. It's the only thing I buy specific tickets for.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Neveth posted:

anyone have experience estimating the whole "my flight gets here at this time, when do I schedule my shuttle ticket" thing? We're using the go shuttle for the first time this year and I'm worried if our flight is delayed or I time things wrong we'll be poo poo out of luck.

Indy airport isn't very big. I scheduled mine for 45 minutes after I'm supposed to touch down.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
The only reason I ever buy anything at Gen con is because I want to play it at Gen con.

So someone buy Captain Sonar and then invite me to the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Crazyweasel posted:

Hi casual gamer first time Gen Con person here wondering what is the environment for boozing/parties?

My brother is part of a gamer group where most folks go every year, he went a few years ago, and it's my first time. It's also somewhat his bachelor party.

The only other Con I've been to was a small one in the dead of winter focused on tournies and open gaming. The convention couldn't care less about open containers so my brother and I spent a day drinking PBR with some other folks and playing short games and walking around. The rest of the guys are older and were pretty clean, expect the same for Gencon.

Id like to at least do a night of something edgier, but I'm not really getting a read on the atmosphere. It looks like you can't have alcohol in the convention? But maybe there isn't even that much open gaming it's more walking around and demos, so typically things you don't want to be half in the bag for?

I tried to read Reddit and boardgamegeek guides but I feel like they skewed to ah, different crowd. If not day drinking in the convention, are there any fun parties or other night events/bars/clubs?

First step is get in the GroupMe for gencon. Second step is hook up with myself and various cohorts for night gaming. If we aren't at a bar I'll have a cooler/buckets of beer somewhere like a hotel (JW Marriott)

Done.

• Locked thread