Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
GenCon :woop:

I'm so excited to see how much of a massive fuckup the "automated" hotel placement stuff is! Not the initial one on Sunday, the one that comes after it. I say this only because I'm sure I won't get a good room Sunday, and the backup list was good to me in the past.

Also my wife's niece and her boyfriend are coming out so we got to do this up RIGHT this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

nesbit37 posted:

New housing process reads well. For those of you that didn't get the email, everyone with a badge is randomly given a time slot starting at noon to register for a hotel room. The only thing I a not fond of with the concept is it means you could be registering at noon or maybe 2 hours later depending how lucky you are so your Sunday could be kind of tied up to get a hotel room if you wanted to do something out of the house. Hopefully it works out ok, has to be better the how last year went.

Yeah, that sounds better than I thought it would. Knock on wood, I guess.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
My niece had a 1:30 wait to start and got in at the Marriott Downtown (best hotel), so who knows. Could've just got lucky.

I heard rumors of the "buy badge, jump line" thing, and was hoping it wasn't true. Stupid system. Hope the waitlist is good, as long as they just do the same thing they did last year, namely "this room has opened up. first person on the list, do you want it? no? #2?"

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Anyone have any experience with the shuttles? Reading the forums and such give it a negative impression, but that's forum posts and people who are happy with the shuttle system probably aren't rushing to post about how it went.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Has anyone actually run an event? I'm thinking I might run a cribbage thing or something, but I don't know! Just bring some cribbage boards and play some cribbage with what will likely be the oldest people at GenCon.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
I've only ever been to Indy for GenCon, and yeah, I can't imagine a better layout. More hotels, sure, but everything's just *right there*.

Living in Chicago, it'd be horrible here - McCormick, I guess, since C2E2 is the only thing that'd rival it for size, but C2E2 is only open for 7 hours a day, and McCormick is not close to anything.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Quarex posted:

Even though I was looking forward to seeing what the hell we needed the stadium for.

True Dungeon 3.0.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Quarex posted:

This is one of the final posts in a thread discussing what the best places to eat in Indianapolis during Gen-Con are:

Hobocon is a hell of a thing.

The wife and I ubered out to R Bistro last year on recommendation from this thread, I think. It was super-good.

Deathlove fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Apr 1, 2015

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

8one6 posted:

Now that it's only about a third of the year left until Gen Con It's time to start the minimum physical endurance buildup to have a good convention experience aka start walking a minimum of 10 minutes a day right now so you're not a grease-sweating air-suck by the middle of day one like I was the first Gen Con I attended. (I'm still fat, but I've dropped 50 pounds since then.)

Train for the OrcStomp 5K on Friday and convention walking will be a piece of cake :getin:

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

And to keep it thematic, zombies! https://www.zombiesrungame.com/

yessssssssssssssssssssss.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

8one6 posted:

Also, you've all convinced me to go for the Orc Stomp 5k.

Awwweeeeeessssooooome.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Texibus posted:

Welp, waiting it out paid off again, managed to nab a room in the city centre for me and my two bros. We're sleeping head to toe in one King size bed like dwarves, but we're staying at SHERATON INDIANAPOLIS CITY CENTRE HOTEL, which is only four block away from the Con. Plus, I can keep looking for something better and change with no fees, not a bad fall back.

Did you just get lucky with the housing portal?

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Another year, another lack of cribbage events! One year, I will do this. This is not the year.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Mr.Trifecta posted:

I would sacrifice three stuffed rabbits for a list of the new board games/things being released at Gen Con.

The BGG list usually starts twirling up in June.

saint gerald posted:

I will totally play cribbage if someone brings a board.

I always carry a board. Emergencies, you see.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

saint gerald posted:

As far as I can remember you can double-book yourself all you like.

Yep, can confirm this from last year :gonk:

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Sub-3000 now, at least. Just that yearly assumption that everybody is going for lame Pathfinder/D&D stuff and not for the cool stuff that I want :allears:

All the Escape Rooms are filling out, drat you, GenCon, you're not supposed to know that's cool :(

Deathlove fucked around with this message at 17:29 on May 17, 2015

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Admin Understudy posted:

Got my AEG Big Gaming Night ticket which was the only thing I was worried about missing.

Ah, crap, I totally forgot about that, and I didn't get to go last year. MY SWAG :(

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

rex monday posted:

Related question: how fun is the True Dungeon thing? Is it actually fun or just bewildering and weird? I'm getting mixed messages from this SUSD video.

Like all things at GenCon, it all depends on your group. Get a good group interested in having fun, it's a blast. Get a group of grognards bitching every time your slide falls off the table, welp.

That said, the DMs and volunteers are almost universally wonderful and will do their best to make it a fun time, and it is definitely a rare sort of event to try.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Sigma-X posted:

Does anyone have any particular healthy / salad-y places to recommend for food during Gen Con?

We always eat a ton of good but junky food and I would like to be a bit healthier this year and was wondering if there were some recommendations for places that are actually healthy and tasty.

Silly as it sounds, the Marriott Downtown's hotel restaurant is pretty solid for this (source: me race training the last three years). Good protein-y breakfast buffet, too. Patachou is also good for a light breakfast (if you want it), but it's generally pretty busy due to Proximity.

We're doing Cerulean on Thursday night for Fancy Dinner, and it looks pretty up that slot as well. Skipping Milktooth because my wife is a vegetarian and that menu don't lend well to that.

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

I'll be doing a DW game this year if you're interested in that, its full up now but bring a generic along! Its this one - https://www.gencon.com/events/69557.

It will mostly be me making fun out of AD&D

well, i do have a hole in my schedule and my wife'll be doing scalemail with her niece so

Deathlove fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jul 7, 2015

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Any requests for custom character sheets, while I'm here? I usually do random assignments but if you want a certain sheet in the mix, let me know.

I mean, I prefer random :shobon:

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Peas and Rice posted:

My buddy got our room by booking directly with a hotel about a week in advance, and we're paying the same rate we would have through the GenCon site. The best room I could get through the site (I forget where I ended up in the queue) was at the airport.

I'm never booking through the site again either.

What hotels were booking rooms that weren't blacked out for those dates? I was looking weeks/months in advance and everything was already "sold out" for the required dates.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Crackbone posted:

Ok, final list of stuff I'm open to selling/trading:

Cyclades + Hades Expansion
Lewis and Clark
Nations
Power Grid Deluxe
City of Horror
Steam Noir
Ladies and Gentlemen
Sherriff of Nottingham
Baseball Highlights 2045 Deluxe
Custom printed copy of San Juan

hit me up if you're interested in any and will be at Gencon.

PMed.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Peas and Rice posted:

I might be stupid but is there any way to see the events you've already registered for - specifically their locations?

https://www.gencon.com/my_packets - click through for the event listing, which will have the location.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
I also own Argent and want to play it so I'll bring my copy and I'll make sure to study up and be ready to teach!!!

(this will end poorly)

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

QnoisX posted:

So how are people transporting games during the con? Just carry them around all day in a backpack or is there somewhere you can drop things off that will be there when you return? Sorry, first time to go to Gencon and not exactly sure how far our hotel will be from the con. Dungeon Lords is another game I'd like to play, but the box is pretty huge.

I only bring games I can easily package in a gallon freezer bag and fits into a messenger bag.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Merauder posted:

So the problem with the whole "trying to avoid Steak & Shake in the middle of the night" thing here, is that they have half-off milkshakes from 2-5 AM/PM. I mean, c'mon. How could I not? Night 1 in Indy: Fail (success?)

Why would this be something you actively try?

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Reynold posted:

A while back, I bought tickets for both the X-wing tournament on Thursday, and Armada on Friday. I am about 99% sure I will get knocked out in the first day on X-wing, and even if I don't, won't be able to attend the finals due to Armada starting at the same time (and being my preferred of the two). I rarely ever get to play x-wing anymore (haven't for months), and am considering dropping out so I can hit the hall on Thursday morning to hunt for limited availability goodies instead. The only thing stopping me is that I don't know if there are going to be participation prizes (alt art cards or some such) which I ABSOLUTELY MUST HAVE.

Also, can I just had my ticket off (has my name and ID number on it) to someone else, or am I better off going through some more official channel should I choose to drop out?

You can get your ticket refunded any time before 4pm Sunday, or you can just give it to someone - I've never seen someone actually check ID or anything.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
My haul was modest compared to the last few years - Codenames, Heroes Wanted, preorder of Bottom of the Ninth, some Munchkin stuff for my kids - I'd've liked to have gotten Spyfall and Roll for the Galaxy, but not so much that it broke anything. Also got one of those Broken Token Dominion cases for $80, thanks, dings and dents :cool:

Most of the games this year seemed like expansions, nothing really big and new hitting, or at least, that I noticed. Did anyone get a chance to play that New York 1901?

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
I don't know what a Zak S but some minor googling makes it seem like he's the Phil Fish of D&D so gently caress yeah, Zak S, do you, bro.

Update: Never mind, dude's pretty bad! Oh, Internet.

Deathlove fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Aug 3, 2015

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Yeah, the thing with people with sealions is that sometimes you need more than basic google. Thanks!

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
I didn't think Thurs/Fri/Sun were that bad. Saturday was a loving madhouse, though. Everything else seemed pretty normal GenCon, smells included!

For the "book hotels really early pre-housing-block" crew - is the $400 hotels.com/$475 refundable really what I'm hedging my bets with? Like, daaaaaaang.

Also, I got confirmation from the dude running Tri Indy that it's the first weekend in August. Gencon 2016 is Aug 4-7 :getin:

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
http://icv2.com/articles/news/view/32351/gen-con-nearing-limits-indianapolis

Pretty much!

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
My first GenCon was 2012, they had 41K attendees. Last year was over 60K. Yeah, raise the prices, make some money, thin out the crowd, dang, something, anything. I don't think moving TD to Lucas Oil is going to make a difference on the crowds - that area of the convention center was never jam packed.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

nesbit37 posted:

Ugh, I also just checked flights and right now the cheapest one from Philly to Indy is $376 round trip. I really hope its just too early for some airlines and their rates didn't come in through Kayak yet or something.

Might actually be cheaper to fly to Chicago, then rent a car.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Junkie Disease posted:

It needs a food guide and the Indian place needs to be BOLDed

Add Cerulean - Cerulean loving was amazing.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Junkie Disease posted:

Not much for a vegamanatarian as myself but I'll pass it along as none of me pals are.

Life Pro Tip: If a mid/high-end restaurant doesn't have anything on their menu for you, give them a call a few days in advance to see what they can do to help you out! Most chefs are keen to try new stuff/help people out in such ways, and, worst case, they'll just be "nope". For Cerulean in particular, my niece that we went with has celiac disease, so she called them to make double-plus sure their gluten-free process was in order, and they made sure to highlight certain dishes of theirs that fit her needs.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Ah, these salad days of badge purchasing before we all turn on each other during the room lottery (which will, as always, have a backdoor that will cause problems). GenCon!

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Rad Valtar posted:

I booked a hotel within a mile in August either it was a great find or a loving shithole and I'll regret it.

Yeah, I've got a room in the Westin, but GenCon rate is cheaper.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Texibus posted:

Which hotels should I be gunning for if I somehow get a sweet lottery spot

JW Marriott, Marriott Downtown, Westin, Hyatt Regency, Le Meredian, Omni Severin, Crowne Plaza.

And goodbye, GenCon website.

Deathlove fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jan 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
2hr25 min. Welp *hugs Westin reservation*

• Locked thread