Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Maybe we're not just a bunch of frak-ups after all.
For everyone who is going to brave the hotel reg tomorrow (:suicide:), but may be unsure how it's going to work here's a video for you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiU_WE_6UPQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

I got stupid lucky and I've got my room already. :woop:

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Len posted:

http://nickyblaines.com I've been trying to talk people into going there since 2012 but I keep getting outvoted.

Didn't know this existed. I'd be down.

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Len posted:

Double posting but how does Thursday at 8pm sound for that NSDM goon event?

I'm up for this.

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Pez posted:

What time is the Colts Grill trivia thing? I missed it last year due to my group having reservations for dinner at St Elmo's, but would like to make it this year if possible. I don't think I've ever met any goons.

I believe it was 7:00 pm last year. I would imagine it would be around the same time this year, but I have not heard anything to confirm that.

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

I know that I'd like to do another game of Fiasco because the one last year was fun as hell.

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Bottom Liner posted:

Hmm, I think I might brave it for part of Thursday then a bit on Sunday. Anyone have any plans for Wed afternoon/evening yet? I'd love to get some beer and pre-game.

Unless for some reason it isn't going on, there will be trivia at the Colts Grille at 7:00 pm Wednesday. There were a lot of goons there last year and I imagine there will be this year.

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Len posted:

Who all got into that NSDM on Thursday? And what should we do that's less awful than the "Do you have stairs?" to identify each other for maximum COLLUSION purposes?

I did as well.

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Mudcrab Merchant posted:

SasquatchFezManWithWolfBoyFriend.jpg

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

https://youtu.be/WKECr75m8fo

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Made it home. The last 40 miles were terrible because of a massive thunderstorm, but I managed not to die. I think the power steering had a stroke at some point during the con because it was hard as hell to turn the wheel sometimes.

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

I'm only 4 hours away! :suicide:

I think this should be your theme song for the con

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cinLQG2VSR4

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Gencon Post Show Release posted:

INDIANAPOLIS (August 3, 2015)Gen Con 2015 has set an all-new attendance record with a unique attendance of 61,423 and a turnstile attendance of 197,695, creating a six-year span of record growth. Since 2010, Gen Con has more than doubled in attendance. Year-over-year, Gen Con has experienced 9% attendance growth, primarily driven by 4-Day and Family Fun Day badge sales. Gen Con also has raised more than $38,500 for the convention’s Official 2015 Charity, The Julian Center.

Another 5k increase over last year. Also, someone remember this number for trivia next year.

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Rad Valtar posted:

I was looking at spending about $100 per night also didn't know there was a lottery. I'm guessing that's for the rooms connected to the convention or something or does Gencon just control the reservations for that weekend in all the hotels?

It really depends on how many rooms each hotel is going to put into the housing block. Its usually a pretty fair amount, but no hotel is putting 100% of its rooms into the housing block. Especially if there are other events happening that same weekend. They'll also leave some open for people who decide to go at the last minute so they can charge them rack rates. Now, I don't know if there's an agreement with each hotel for a set percentage of their rooms or if each hotel allots whatever they want to it. If a hotel isn't in the housing block, then you should be able to book whenever they open reservations for the show dates.

As for the lottery, this was the first year they used it. Last year's hotel reg system couldn't handle the amount of traffic it got and a lot of people got screwed out of rooms that they thought they had/were just about to book when it poo poo itself. For example, I got dumped from the queue and it took me 20 minutes to get back in. All of the downtown hotels were gone by then.

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

49 minutes until I'm in. Could have a been a whole lot worse.

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

SirPhoebos posted:

35 minutes.

Is..is that good?
Not the best, but pretty good.

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Got the Sheraton Indianapolis City Centre Hotel. Its not skywalk connected, but its only 4 blocks so it should be fine.

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

nesbit37 posted:

At what wait time does it seem the downtown hotels ran out? Seems roughly 90 minutes was the mark they ran out last year.

It depends on what exactly you're looking for. I had to wait 50 minutes and there were no rooms with 2 beds connected to the convention center, but there were rooms with 1 king by the time I got in.

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Exhibit hall map is up: http://www.gencon.com/exhibit_hall_map

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Lawen posted:

Aw, I'd pulled this thread from my bookmarks and missed a bunch of posts.

I'll be back for my 4th consecutive GenCon, pretty stoked. I usually go with 2 friends but this year another friend got an artist table and 2 of our D&D group are riding up with him. Should be fun to have a bigger pool of RL friends to hang out/game with.

Gonna work on my event wishlist this weekend, so if any other goons are running cool games, post here so we can sign up. Every time I've gamed (or just gotten drunk) with goons, I've had a blast. I'll try to make sure I get a goon event or two on my schedule. Any thoughts on an NSDM session we could try to take over? I've been wanting to try NSDM for a few years now and haven't.

Yay GenCon!

A bunch of us did NSDM last year and almost all of us hated it. The people who ran it were assholes and they explained the game terribly. I don't think you're going to get many takers, honestly.

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Ego Trip posted:

For the third year running I will be at GenCon and prepared to play Microscope, Kingdom, or Fiasco AT ALL TIMES. Will this year see the return of dickpills?

Will there be another building set on fire?
Will a character get their rear end kicked repeatedly?
Will someone get shot?
Will another character end up being executed after spending a couple of decades on death row?
Will there be another terrible idea involving pharmaceuticals be hatched? (I honestly don't remember who, if anyone, mentioned dick pills in the planning session, but it was too good an idea not to run with during the game)
Will someone try to impress their girlfriend by taking them to a "nice place" like Hooters?

Who can say for sure, but the above list is just a sample of the crazy poo poo that's happened the last 2 years when we played Fiasco. So, get in on that poo poo.

Also, Moles runs a good game, so get in on that poo poo too.

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Texibus posted:

Yeah, I know it's broad. I just basically want to get a feel for that side of the hobby. I've tried a few times to get into shadow run and we lose interest almost immediately.

Yeah, that's basically jumping into the deep end without knowing how to swim and a boulder tied to your legs. I like Shadowrun, but there's a lot going on there. Its not really a great game for people just getting into RPG's unless you have a GM who really knows their poo poo. The systems that Moles and 8one6 mention are much simpler to start with.

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

nesbit37 posted:

I think its too late to sign up for things now. I mean, you can still do it when you are at Gen Con but since they started printing and shipping badges and tickets I don't think you add more to your account at this point till you're on site.

I'm pretty sure you can still sign up for events, but it will be Will Call only.

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

One of my highlights from last year was the spontaneous Fiasco game and that need to happen again. Stroke weed and burning down buildings is optional but preferred almost certain to happen.

FTFY. And yes, Fiasco needs to happen this year.

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Trustworthy posted:

Anyway I'm sure I'll catch some of you at a meet-up or two. The traditional goon quiz night at that lovely sports bar happens before Friday, doesn't it? :/

Yeah, its Wednesday night.

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Seldon posted:

Meanwhile, I'll be trapped in Saganaw

That's punishment enough.

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Necronomicon posted:

Speaking of this - has anybody ever gone to any of those "official" parties that end up on the events list? Stuff like the "legendary drunkass party" (wtf)? My instinct tells me these would be lame as poo poo and not worth the money and it would be better to thrown down with Goons instead.

I've never been to any of them, but drinking with Goons doesn't require an event ticket and therefore cheaper.

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

LuiCypher posted:

When and where is the trivia again? I'd ask the GroupMe, but I feel like it would be deluging phones with a question they've answered a hundred times.

Colts Grille at 7:00 pm. At least, that's when the trivia started in the past, so that's what I'm going with.

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Deathlove posted:

Really? Dealer hall seems almost empty to me comparatively. Shunning off TD, anime, and cosplay to Lucas is super good.

Part of that is probably due to having more floor space.

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

BlackIronHeart posted:

Through some combination of black magic and trickery, we apparently ended up with free parking all weekend. I dunno how, I didn't drive, but that's gotta be one for the record books.

Same here. Which hotel were you in?

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

That's odd. I was in the Sheraton City Center and didn't get charged for parking either. Gave them the ticket from the garage and they even told me how much it was going to cost each night. Guess they forgot to actually put it on the room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Radio Free Walrus posted:

but I would miss not having the skywalk during the actual convention.

I'll be the first to say that not having a connected hotel was inconvenient, but as long as I'm downtown I'll be happy. Being 4 or 5 blocks out isn't amazing, but it beats being 4 or 5 miles out.

• Locked thread