Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ili
Jul 26, 2003

Should I follow Les Catalans? I like the French in general and especially the idea of a bunch of snooty Frenchmen (and criminal expats) playing the world's best game in a country that probably doesn't know rugby leage exists. Plus I like their kit.
On the other hand I've never seen Super League, not sure if it's even possible to watch in Australia without cable tv, and they may be the equivalent of the Canberra Raiders only without the successful history.
I'm still drawn to the idea of a team who train on garlic snails, drink wine during half time and wear berets to poorly attended media conferences though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Dirty Frank posted:

Over the last few years the team has been competitive, but not really serious challengers. They're like the opposite of the raiders as the south of france is an amazing place to live, so they don't have such a headache attracting players. The team is pretty big and physical, tending towards idiot violence. They have an exciting young fullback called Escare who looks like he weights about 60kg. The fans are totally convinced that the refs are against them, and I think they are in the same way that the warriors get no love in Aus. So they have a big chip on they're shoulder for that. I've got to one game a year the last two years and the stadiums atmosphere is really good, the essential phrase to know is "va te faire enculer" (go get hosed in the arse). Saw them get thrashed by Wigan last year and I was a bit worried for the wigan fans at the stadium, but there was no trouble in the end, the refs in the first half were amazing though, pushing les cats back 12m but Wigan back 8m at every play the ball. Wigan werestill a bunch better and le cats getting two players rightfully sent off didn't help much.

French people in general barely know that RL exists, but its bigish across the south, and prior to WWII it was very big, the Vichy government outlawed league and striped it of its assets giving them to union, nice article on that here.

Thanks for the info, that was really good. Chalk me up as the newest Catalans fan, even if only so I'll have heard about Escare before my team, the mighty Broncos, buy him from Super League just because we can and then never play him at NRL level.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

And the overs they had to pay to get anyone to sign. It's hard enough to get anyone to sign up to live in a frozen shithole with Ricky loving Stuart as their coach, and can only get harder when three quarters of the salary cap is used to buy other clubs' castoffs. Plus the Raiders threw an epic tanty after losing Milford and cut their association with Souths Logan, which will reduce the number of talented youngsters coming through on the cheap.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Apollodorus posted:

See, this is why I never got interested in the NFL despite living the USA all my life. Just not exciting enough.

Don't they have dog fighters, wife bashers, steroid users and the like? I'd read when Suge Knight dangled Vanilla Ice off a hotel balcony to get him to sign a contract he brought a couple of NFL players with him for extra muscle. Sounds pretty exciting to me.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

iajanus posted:

Considering how close both of them sound to having a stroke when they're being apoplectic I'm hoping you aren't referring to them leaving the station but something more permanent. No losers in that scenario.

We're all losers in that scenario. Even if Ray "Fuckwit" Hadley pops his clogs tonight it won't be soon enough. The only way to win would be to have never heard of the wife bashing scumfuck.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Aside from playing on what appeared to be a freshly plowed turnip farm that was a cracking game of football. And who was that bloke with the charge down at the end? Reckon he'll be able to dine out on that one for a while.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Jono C posted:

The dealing/trafficking charges seem like a beat up, but these guys might just be too stupid to know how to stay out of trouble.

As I read it they're basically being charged with supply for picking up a bit extra for a mate when they were scoring. Hardly breaking bad territory.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Souths
Cocks
Broncos
Manly
Cowboys
Storm
Panthers
Warriors
Bulldogs
Drug cheats
Dragons
Knights
Tigers
Eels
Cokers
Stickys

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Airstream Driver posted:

I'll probably stick to supporting the Broncos because I want to make it to a few games and the atmosphere at Suncorp usually owns.

And because the Broncos are by far and away thr best club in the NRL.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

An hour to go and I'm getting impatient. Time to see the mighty Broncos possibly barely scrape home if they're really lucky. Fire up you sad cunts!

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Dirty Frank posted:

Whats the 300m line about?

Corey Parker's 300th game.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Maybe the NRL is targeting the coveted Hillsong demographic.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

cpaf posted:

Dodds injured and still no sign of Vidot who I guess Bennett really hates. I reckon they'll beat the Sharks but I don't have strong feelings either way.

Vidot has a couple of things to work on and apparently has to earn his way back into the team after slacking off in preseason training. Expect him back in the next few rounds either replacing Reed on the wing (or maybe Maranta if he's awful) or playing in the middle somewhere. He played one half at prop for the Jets last week and the other on the wing.

Hope we can beat the Sharks, they'll be pretty motivated after last week plus Barba will want to prove something. How Gallen didn't even cop a trip to the judiciary for the on field hand shandy is beyond me, even with the NSW factor taken into account.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

bowmore posted:

Maranta was pretty good in a losing side last week I thought

He's alright, safe under the high ball but not much chop in attack. If you watch the tries other teams' wingers score and then look at Maranta the difference is stark. Some of these guys are planting tries with an outstretched arm reaching around the corner post while horizontal in the air outside the line and being tackled by two or three players. Maranta can only finish when the line is wide open.

In other news Corey Oates is in replacing Dale Copley who picked up a calf injury. If Oates can play well and show a bit of stamina we may well run a wing pairing of Oates and Vidot for most of the year.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Beau Scott is such a loving oval office.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Byolante posted:

I don't think there is anything wrong with social pee drinking, just that if thats a thing you are really loving into don't tweet pictures of yourself performing the act

Um excuse me but Toddy wasn't stupid enough to tweet pictures of himself drinking his own pee. He was just pretending to drink his own pee to amuse a mate who for some reason had his camera out in the bathroom at Northies and then lost his phone before someone else found it and twootled the photos.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Mills posted:

Oi gently caress off you cunts he sounds like a Rabbitohs supporter to me

Nah, I think he's moving to CQ for work.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

That thing is loving hideous. The bits at the bottom look like something Lord Bogan might get as a tattoo.

Speaking of tattoos, anyone want a big strong lazy winger who likes easy options, dropping bombs and making bulk metres? Dan Vidot is really on the outer now. http://m.couriermail.com.au/sport/n...i-1227278633812

ili
Jul 26, 2003

bowmore posted:

They might keep it in mind now.

It's been out publicly for a few years.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Tapau is farkin yooj. Wish we could have picked him up instead of Gavet.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Jono C posted:

You say it like it's a bad thing.

And I'm pretty sure I remember Reynolds trying to trip Barba last year, did he get away with it or something?

E: http://www.sportal.com.au/league/nrl-premiership/reynolds-chooses-to-accept-three-match-ban/vg3scz3id2hwz3d37in1aw5u
Two game ban for that incident. Surely that should add to the loading on the current charge.

I don't know whether he has photos of the judiciary with various animals, the Bulldogs connection or the NSW player exemption in action but the amount of poo poo he gets away with is ridiculous. in that game last year he kicked Sam Thaiday in the face, kicked out to trip Ben Barba before finally trying to take Alex Glenn's head off. IIRC he's had other kicking/tripping issues too, plus a pretty ugly tackle in Brent Tate in Origin which he got away with. But for whatever reason they treat him like a first time offender instead of a serial grub.
E: apparently he tripped Segeyaro earlier this year too and wasn't even charged.

ili fucked around with this message at 13:19 on May 4, 2015

ili
Jul 26, 2003

I can't believe Peachey is getting off so lightly. Deliberately dumping a bloke on his head well after the whistle is pretty bad. I mean, everyone knows the judiciary is shite but this is poor even by their very low standards.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

All he needs to do is get up on the roof with a six pack of pineapple cruisers. That or sexually assault someone, piss in his own mouth, bite a woman on the leg, gently caress a dog, drink drive repeatedly or beat someone unconscious. Probably best to start with the cruisers though.

E: he being Michael Gordon that is, I'm told the above type of things no longer happen in origin camp.

ili fucked around with this message at 07:17 on May 19, 2015

ili
Jul 26, 2003

bowmore posted:

Pretty happy that the Broncs are going to be missing 5 players in the Knights game on Monday night

Possibly Ben Hunt too if we're super unlucky. Still a decent chance of winning though.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

gently caress me sideways, never thought I'd see "Beau Scott" and "lack of grub power" in the same paragraph.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

bowmore posted:

he's not a grub he's just tough

You say that now when he's in your team, but wait until he runs out for Parra next year. One late high spearwrestle tackle on Mullen and he'll be grub of the century.

He is nothing on Jeynolds or Bird though, that's for sure. Probably because he can cop it as well as dish it out instead of flailing about on the ground.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Jono C posted:

We're listing Queensland's grubs and none of you have mentioned Myles?

Sounds a bit like the the Ben Creagh fairy manoeuvre
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ole1A50waKk&t=25s

E: The angle just after the one minute mark might be even better.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Jesus, how long before Jason Taylor gets his walking papers?

ili
Jul 26, 2003

At least we got to see Marty Tapau channelling his inner Sandow.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Jeez I'd love to own a door replacement business in Canberra today

ili
Jul 26, 2003

I know nine are poo poo but why have they got the rock reading out some Gus Gould babble bullshit?

ili
Jul 26, 2003

bowmore posted:

what do you think is going to happen when we go to Suncorp

A blues heavy commentary team, and Adolf fellating blues players as they leave the field on camera.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Jono C posted:

It was astonishing how poo poo he was in game 2 last year. He got a slight pass in game 1 because he would have trained to come in at lock, but he got a full week of training for game 2 at halfback and decided to become a hitup machine.

As I recall he had a hosed knee and didn't train at all in the lead up to game two, but decided he was okay on game day. I'm a bit dirty on him for that, Hunt trained at halfback and was looking good but DCE chose to play, had a poo poo game and potentially cost us the series. Motherfucker probably was worried that Hunt would have a blinder and take his bemch utility spot.

Also lol at iajanus referring to Queenslanders as if he was from a different group. Embrace your inner Inglis and just accept that you're one of us now. Anyway it's better than having to cheer for Mitchell Pearce.

ili fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Jun 10, 2015

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Iajanus, can you tell the Hoff to either learn to pass or get back on the wing? Ta.

E: fucken James Roberts is awesome.

ili fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Jun 14, 2015

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Bring on Nollsy and whoever that other guy was. That was awesome. But where's The Rock gone?

ili
Jul 26, 2003

A couple of marginal calls but they're not the reason we lost. loving DCE is 0/3 as a halfback. Send him back to Manly to think about what he's done and hope Cooper is fit. If he's not get Hunt in as 7, or else put Hunt on the bench and bring Morgan in to play with Thurston, or play with 12 players, but DCE has done his dash. Goofy motherfucker managed to poo poo the bed in attack and gently caress our defence.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Jesus that was an absolute cracker of a game. I spent the final ten minutes tensed up just waiting for the Broncos to crack slightly but god they just kept at it. Fantastic effort and that level of commitment should take them well into the finals.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Nice to see the Bulldogs/NSW player exemption still exists.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

stickyfngrdboy posted:

What's this Mitch garbutt guy like who is coming to the rhinos

He's got the potential to be a good forward but just never kicked on at the Broncos for whatever reason. He had a poo poo preseason, mostly due to a back injury which he's bern carrying through this year. Had very limited game time in first grade and this together with the injury has dented his confidence a bit.

Because of his limited preseason and game time he never got the chance to cement his spot in the team. Plus he was signed by the old management here and is on decent coin but we've got a few good juniors coming through and just don't really need him.

On the plus side he's got a big frame and a big motor. If he can adapt to the conditions and get over his back problems he may well become a star player over there. Best of luck to him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Hopefully Wayne's cured us of the second half naps we've been taking the last couple of years. I want to see 50 - zip.

• Locked thread