Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

A certain amount of risk-taking is helpful for innovation, over time it is good for the group. A group that never voluntarily takes risks or changes or challenges anything will stagnate.

It's nearly always young men taking the really insane risks. Rarely women, and most men who survive their teens/twenties tend to settle down. Having the young men do the risky poo poo is good because young men are the best suited for surviving many kinds of risks, and because having a small percentage of young men die doing dumbass stunts doesn't really affect the group's ability to thrive. A small surplus of nubile young women is rarely a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Lufiron posted:

so then explain russia

Russia defies explanation. A wizard did it.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Three-Phase posted:

I always thought those transformers came powder-coated from the factory that way. :shrug:

They probably come powder coated, but if they are outside for years eventually the paint will get dinged up.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Supradog posted:

More fun about the bridge, looks like the land owner had not applied for any permits or approvals for the work at all. It's both a known hazardous area with a lot of clay + the stream running in that small valley is protected because of the fish in it.

Google translated link.

Wow. I guess now everyone is going to frown sternly at him, until he promises not to do it again. :ohdear:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Hmm, yes, these paper dust masks will surely protect us from airborne chemicals.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Do It Once Right posted:

The guy standing directly underneath and behind the dump truck as it was dumping. There was no reason for him to be there (other than being an untrained underage child laborer who decided not to be within line of sight of the truck driver).

The owner took over the business from his uncle 9 years earlier, despite having little experience in the field and no safety training. None of his employees received any safety training. He hired 14 and 15 year olds when it is illegal for anyone under 16 to work in construction (he claims he didn't know that, that the regulator "doesn't advertise it" and that he thought all he needed was the parents permission). He was eventually fined $33,000.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Haruharuharuko posted:

As funny as this looks you may want to Nws that as the woman there actually died.

Story if I remember is a weighted pallet got away from an employee and rode down that ramp and did what gravity and heavy objects do to people.

The gif is fine, it doesn't show her dieing or even bleeding or anything. Sure, she dies later, but everyone dies later.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Why?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Dillbag posted:

It's referencing a comic from a Japanese manga horror series that is a popular in-joke/meme on these forums.

I know about the comic. Why would the guy go in the hole in real life though? Where does the hole go? Presumably he isn't simply dedicated enough to the meme to die down there.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

FIRST TIME posted:

I went to some half rear end christian fundamentalist grade school that was literally right next to the railroad tracks. I mean they could have put up a fence or something but instead they just warned us not to play on the tracks because we'd trip and fall and break our leg or something. Oh and there was a wetlands behind the building. That place was a loving death trap.

Stop being such a sissy. Everyone's grandparents had to get through childhood without any candy-rear end safety fences, and they all turned out fine. (Because all the kids who died aren't anyone's grandparents.)

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

`Nemesis posted:

My mom broke a thermometer intentionally so I could see and play with the mercury. I spilled it into the carpet later and didn't think of it again until many years later when I actually learned about mercury.

Mercury is bad, but it isn't that bad. People used to drink the stuff as a remedy for constipation. Kids used to play with it in chemistry class, and the chemistry teachers used to have several classes playing with it every year.

A single touch of the silver liquid isn't guaranteed death. A broken fluorescent bulb doesn't need a hazmat team to clean up.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

`Nemesis posted:

I agree with you, it wasn't a big deal. But that also didn't stop the EHS team at a prior employer from calling in a remediation team to do a full on hazmat cleanup because a mercury wall thermostat broke and spilled mercury behind the drywall. They had to have spent 30k on remediation services for something that wasn't given second thought by me or my parents when I was a kid.

This was full on hazmat suits, isolation systems, and 3-4 days of work for a little spilled mercury.

lol

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

WarpedNaba posted:

Re: Space elevator talks, aren't they considering placing the whole thing on a floating platform in international waters? Apparently that makes the whole thing a little more flexible and makes it easier for the materials of the elevator itself to cope with atmospheric shifts and high winds.

Sure, and then China builds an island next to the space elevator, claims they've always lived there, and the space elevator is in their territory and belongs to them.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Met posted:

Anything that gets you that horizontal speed. Getting to space is easy. Getting into an orbit is hard.

As seen here: http://corpsmoderne.itch.io/flappy-space-program

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Wasted.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

flosofl posted:

Pretty sure he meant where underperforming hardware store employees are culled.

Shame on you, the Tool Land killing fields are nothing to joke about.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Ninurta posted:

Tosses Tribe Garlic Hummus in the trash. Well, gently caress. I hope I didn't eat Soylent Green.

He died over a year ago. Any bits have long since been rinsed out by his replacement cleaner.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

RatHat posted:

It looks like it only went through the sack anyway, not through either of the actual testicles.

No big deal then. Walk it off.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

RatHat posted:

Oh I'm sure it still really hurt, especially if the rebar scraped a testicle on the way on. But it's not as crippling as piercing a testicle.

I know, I'm just busting your balls. I also had a moment of thinking "that guy was really lucky" for a guy who has been impaled.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Say Nothing posted:

Slowly... slowly... gently caress.

There's a whole pile of lumber next to the guy on the ground. Couldn't they have made a ramp?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Dillbag posted:

IIRC there was someone in either the passenger seat or in the vehicle he was towing.

lol he left them to die

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

chitoryu12 posted:

I don't know about purely being an "after party" contractor, but specifying that in your services could easily get you a ton of clients.

We've got a hole in our shower from where an errant lean against the railing caused it to break through a weak part of the tile. I'm seriously considering just teaching myself how to fill holes in tile walls so I can patch it up in a day and wait for the whole thing to eventually get replaced with a newer setup.

You really shouldn't leave holes in bathroom walls for any length of time. Humidity gets back there and things can get very bad.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Caconym posted:

A friend of a friend shared this on facebook. Supposedly from a passenger ferry.
Investigations are ongoing as to why there's an e-stop in the toilet.

Oh no I flushed my phone, stop the boat!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

goodness posted:

How often do people actually get their home renovations/addons inspected. I assume there is a fee with getting it inspected and passed?

There's a bigger fee if they catch you. Depending on the project that can include tearing the thing down and starting over.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Zopotantor posted:

Poles are not that stupid.

Use a Russian instead. They don't give a gently caress.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

FIRST TIME posted:

Sometimes one of the living room power sockets will be controlled by a light switch near the door. It was fun times growing up when you'd accidentally plug the Nintendo into that socket then someone comes into the room and flips the wrong switch to turn on the lights and you lose all your game progress.

You aren't supposed to plug in your nintendo there, that socket is for lamps. So you can turn all your lamps off and on with one switch.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Dukes of Hazzard sequel looking good.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Would they have to do physiotherapy on the hand while it is hanging out on his leg to prevent the muscle atrophy?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

PromethiumX posted:

how many people did I just watch die?

It looks like they had time to bring in a tow truck, so probably all the passengers had already evacuated.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

DemonToadGoat posted:

So this one time, my bud and I were building the frames for an apron, and We're setting the pins on the string, I'm holding them, he's hammering them. And it wasn't till we had 4 driven in that I realized the wood had shrank and the head was coming off the hammer.

Whoops! we put a screw in that and continued along.

Pins and string are good, but you should really use a sewing needle, not a hammer, if you want to make an apron.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

bitcoin bastard posted:

What did he think was going to happen anyway? If he cleared the top of the roof, it was just gonna slide off the other side.

Maybe he thought the roof was rough enough that friction would keep the sheet in place?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I think it is pretty common to get an x-ray before an MRI? Maybe? Not a full body x-ray though. Dunno what happens if you're getting your head MRI'd and you've got shrapnel in your shin.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

bitcoin bastard posted:

I'm the complete lack of a plan for what happens when the guy up top pushes the couch just a bit further.

That's what the old man with the cane is for.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Darkman Fanpage posted:

This sort of poo poo is why I get pissed about balloons. Other than the fact that retards release them outside so they can become somebody else's problem.

Also https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balloonfest_%2786

Balloonfest '86 :cripes: :cb: :cb: :cb:

I thought balloons mostly used lower quality trash helium that wasn't worth purifying further?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Scaramouche posted:

So what you're saying is that we should switch to Neon for children's balloons. Does it change your voice too? This could be win-win

Hydrogen is cheap and plentiful. :haw:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

DemeaninDemon posted:

It smells horrid so there's that.

In 9th grade we had a field trip to the local sewage treatment plant, complete with bubbling tanks of dooooom. It didn't smell that bad. Not as bad as you'd expect it to smell.

And you might not die if you fell in, there's a ladder! You just have to hold your breath and feel around the wall until you find the lander, then climb the slippery poo ladder before you run out of air. JK you'll die.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Last time I was at Cedar Point a ride attendant closed a restraint directly on my blind friend's cane, snapping it. They replaced the cane and gave us a bunch of line-skipping passes to let us use the back entrance to the rides (also known as the exit). Best theme park incompetence ever.

Did your blind friend enjoy the roller coasters?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Toadvine posted:

For the curious, this spools the cable, the other end of which is tugging that coaster train w/ 16 people, accelerating it from 0 -120 mph in 3.8 seconds. I've recited a similar spiel to riders countless times.

Are there rules about not letting brittle old people on the ride, or is it assumed grandmas with osteoporosis will know better than to try it?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Zero One posted:

Cedar Point has a whole book you can read about this: https://www.cedarpoint.com/assets/uploads/Guest%20Assistance%20Guide%20REVISED.pdf

I'm sure everyone takes the time to read it before getting in line.

Almost all the rides say people with back or neck trouble are prohibited, lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Drive until you encounter a fire truck.

Is the fire truck heading toward the fire? You are probably okay.
Is the fire truck heading away from the fire? Run you fools!

• Locked thread