Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

VectorSigma posted:

i would have just set it on its side on top of a cloth and slid it along the platform instead of attempting cargo parkour

After seeing the conditions I would have found a new career path.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I decided to rewatch Shake Hands With Danger now that I've got about a year of experience working around heavy equipment. The song is cheesy and some of the stunts are flubbed, but it's honestly a pretty drat good safety video in terms of content.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

`Nemesis posted:

Getting probated once for your dumb loving sig wasn't enough?

I put the first one on Adblock and this one goes as well.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Captain Postal posted:

well, since we're talking excavators doing crazy poo poo - this is the most anti-OSHA I've seen.

It's even worse than the 2 year old toddler playing with a full sized excavator I put in the last thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuWSxFWv3Fo

I would not want to be either of the people in that video. Well, maybe the host.

This isn't as bad as it seems, really. Construction equipment has massive power and torque, but they don't need operate at great speeds to get the necessary force. While it obviously takes practice, any good operator who's able to see the model would easily be able to manipulate the arm with that level of precision.

When I work with cranes, the operator regularly makes adjustments of a few inches on request.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

i am harry posted:

And you say there's one of those in each house...?

Look it up, pansy. The 30th Amendment guarantees us each the right to own a water heater. If you're so scared of my house having its God-given right, move!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Am I the only one having massive problems with this page because of that roller coaster GIF?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

In the background there's a guy in a red shirt standing in the "parking lot" who dives for cover when the spark goes up.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

richardm posted:

Question: How can you tell how much fuel is left in a tanker?

Answer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5M--0CSZ1I

Did a lighter really cause that? Gasoline is generally hard enough to ignite that a cigarette lighter or match dropped into it will extinguish rather than set the whole thing off. Unless it ignited fumes?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Robawesome posted:

in case anybody didn't already know there's an OSHA subreddit with plenty of material

This is wonderful.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

That Wikipedia article is what got me interested in Action Park. I think I've read every piece of online history that has to do with it, because I just find it so fascinating. Unfortunately I never got to go, as I was a child when it closed and wasn't even born at the height of its antics.

....which is why I'm going this summer.

Edit: For anyone who wants a ton of Action Park stories (and a blast of 90s nostalgia), The Center of the Action is a blog run by a number of former employees dedicated to the park.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Mar 10, 2015

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The Orlando metro area has recently gotten SunRail as a new commuter train system. It's early on, but we've got more train traffic than ever before.

Cars being hit by trains has become downright regular now. People keep trying over and over to drive around barriers when they get impatient and get stuck between them.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Orlando has actually restricted freight travel to the off hours (late night and early morning) specifically because SunRail runs on the same tracks and they want to keep the commuter rail operating without stopping up the roads.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Atmus posted:

I saw this in a documentary like 15 years ago and I hope I remember the details right:

Angels With Dirty Faces had a scene that James Cagney refused to do. In the scene, he was to be firing out a window at the cops below, who were firing back at him with Thompson sub-machineguns. As this was before Blanks really came into use in movie production, standard ammunition was used. The director wanted them shooting at each other (while deliberately missing, of course). The idea was that the cops would shoot at the outside wall around the window, which would have looked spectacular, but missing Cagney. Instead of shooting the scene the way the director wanted it, Cagney fired 'at' the cops and dove out of the way before they fired back. This was fortunate as there were dozens of bullet holes in the wall behind where he was standing as well as the outside of the building. As you may imagine, firing a machinegun at someone isn't quite the precise operation popular media would have you believe.

Also it's funny seeing Humphrey Bogart get smacked around as a bit character is great.

I think only one bullet passed through where his head would be, but you're correct: Cagney nearly got shot to death, and it was distressingly common for live ammo to be used. This wasn't due to a lack of blanks, but actually a lack of squibs to simulate bullet hits on cue. Squibs today are remotely activated, but in the first half of the 20th century you didn't really have anything like that. So they just fired real bullets at surfaces to get the effect of them being shot.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

In train talk, the Orlando metropolitan area opened SunRail (its first commuter rail smaller than Amtrak) last May. They've forced freight to travel on the tracks in the very late night and early morning when SunRail isn't operating to keep the system unclogged, but it means that there's now a ton of rail traffic that didn't used to exist.

Being Florida, this inevitably means a flurry of accidents. Virtually every accident has been attributed to the driver getting impatient and trying to go around the gates, getting stuck or moving too slow, and getting struck by a train. Our drivers literally cannot handle regular train traffic.

That said, there is apparently one crossing down south where the gate has opened up early and drivers are too dumb to look to see if a train is coming before roaring across. While most people would find the idea of looking before you cross every time a bit laughable, I should point out that this crossing is literally next to the train station. You can see the big white and yellow train parked there before you even cross.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The military even issued asbestos oven mitts to machine gun crews for weapons that required the assistant gunner to grab a hot barrel with their hands instead of by a handle for replacing it during sustained fire, as a way to keep them from burning their hands. Lots of fireproof or heatproof clothing involved asbestos.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Preoptopus posted:

How much mercury is spilled during Japanese florencent light fighting?
Ill just post the google imgs link, nms for blood.
https://www.google.com/search?q=jap..._AUoAg&dpr=1.25

I've seen a lot of American indie and backyard wrestling do that as well. They're "spot monkeys", who can't really do anything except big spots (scripted stunts) because they suck at stage combat and making the match look like a real fight. So they make up for it by grabbing a bunch of fluorescent lights and thumbtacks and flaming torches and start legitimately injuring each other to seem more hardcore. I saw a match once where a guy got lifted up and pile driver'd through a pair of tables that had light tubes on top....from scaffolding about 20-25 feet up.

I'm surprised they're not actually dead. I'm even more surprised that the audience goes home safely, since you can see all the dust from the shattered light tubes floating at them. Sure as hell wouldn't wear contacts ringside.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Since I know at least one person probably wants to see that insanity, here's the match I mentioned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6djGyZv8GmA

Skip to about 12:30 to see how the aforementioned dive begins. This whole match is OSHA Wrestling.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Improbable Lobster posted:

Wasn't there a wrestler whose big thing was that he cut himself all the time and then WHOOPS TURNS OUT HE HAD HIV?

Abdullah the Butcher was accused of it. He's bladed himself so many times that he can hold poker chips or coins in his scars. He also had the issue of cutting other people without their permission.

At the moment blading is totally banned in the WWE, which has been trying to push more for family-friendly shows and eliminate a lot of the blood and severe injuries.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

HIV and hepatitis accusations and fears aren't uncommon in circles where blood gets spilled. It's part of the reason why intentionally cutting yourself got banned by the WWE (along with the general sanitization efforts), but as you can see in that video the hardcore indie promotions have no problem with wrestlers literally smearing blood everywhere and risking infection from a new source every ten seconds.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

jetz0r posted:

Luckily there isn't really a market for scrap decaying kid corpses (I hope).

Not unless we're living in an RPG.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

They even had to reject comic-style pictorial warnings, as it's just as likely that a future civilization reads from right to left instead of left to right like we do and mistakes a "This will make you die" warning for a "This will bring you to life" instruction manual. Anything that serves the purpose of wordlessly scaring people away has just as much chance of pulling a reverse psychology and convincing them that they're being scared away to keep them from getting the really valuable stuff.

The only way to actually keep people away from it is to make sure they don't search at all. Put it somewhere with nothing valuable around and bury it deeper than any primitive civilization would go in search of minerals and iron, then encase it in concrete to prevent access anyway. Hell, make it release an extremely fast-acting contact or inhaled poison that causes enough pain and discomfort (and potentially death, if you really need to) to make them run and seal it back up if they get too curious. Better to poison half a dozen curious explorers than give them an opening to drag radioactive waste back to their towns and put it on display or rub it on everyone's food.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

BlancoNino posted:

He's holding a big ole chuck and trying to prove what a strong man he is in a feat of Man vs. Lathe . This is high school stupidity 101 and that guy is lucky his leg wasn't mulched to be a permanent reminder of how dumb he actually is. Imagine explaining to strangers how you lost a leg because you were a moron.

That's why they call me.....Peg Leg Joe.

*guitar twang*

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Yawgmoth posted:

What the gently caress even happened here? Was that flatbed carrying the orange thing while it was extended?

Likely wasn't folded up properly (or it was and just happened to make an unexpectedly tall load when combined with the flatbed) and it smacked into the bridge.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I reject this.

http://i.imgur.com/571yfJb.gifv

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

padijun posted:

it's like a real version of the brian brushwood cup trick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqZ_ANc_WiU

I've seen Brian a few times. He's a really fun performer and a great guy in general.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

"Clipped" the tanker.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

peter gabriel posted:

Pretty harsh of you dumping her back into the water after all that imo

I'm caught between laughing and being utterly horrified at myself for finding this funny.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

OSI bean dip posted:

Seems awfully high for a truck.

Thank you for reminding me of something I forgot to crosspost into here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzkWTcDZFH0

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Reasons why I don't publicly say exactly where I work: so I can reveal that the CEO tried to show off while "getting the feel" for a service mechanic truck out in the yard today and sped around so fast that he hit the crane rental guy's pickup twice.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

surebet posted:

Pain is weird sometimes, during one of my surgeries the local aesthetic wasn't correctly applied and I ended up making unholy sounds, kicking a poor nurse and passing out from the searing white pain. Strange thing is I didn't feel the first few cuts because a) this wasn't my first OR rodeo and b) I saw the anaesthetics being injected and felt the burning tingle of them being diffused IM. I guess my brain convinced itself that it couldn't be pain it was feeling in the first few seconds until the scalpel dug deep enough.

Same goes for people I treated as a first aid responder, especially in cases of blunt force head trauma. Concussions & shock do fucky things to your pain perception.

Thankfully, when I accidentally stabbed the radial artery in my left hand I immediately registered pain AND saw blood gushing from the wound. I'm honestly really proud of how quick my first aid reaction time is for self-inflicted injuries.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Phanatic posted:

No. Shock is when your circulatory system stops working, either because you've lost too much blood to sustain circulatory pressure, because your heart's not beating effectively anymore, or for some systemic reason like anaphylaxis. You're not working through much of anything when your heart's beating like a hummingbird but your blood pressure's fallen through the floor and your tissues aren't getting any O2. It's pretty much the opposite of adrenaline.

There's actually something called mental shock or just "shock", more properly "acute stress reaction". Symptoms include numbing, emotional detachment, muteness, derealization, depersonalization, psychogenic amnesia, continued re-experiencing of the event via thoughts, dreams, and flashbacks, and avoidance of any stimulation that reminds them of the event. It's the first stage of humans adapting to stress and trauma.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

flosofl posted:

It's post-apocalyptic retail.

"Thems that don't meet they's goals is sent to the Die Place"

While the Employee of the Month is guaranteed a spot in Valhalla, all shiny and chrome.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Story time! I worked at Halloween Horror Nights Orlando at Universal Studios in 2012 and 2013. In 2012, one of my alternate cast guys in my horde decided to scare some people in the Richter Burger by slapping on the window.

Unfortunately, my cast was almost exclusively 6'5 to 6'7 and included more than one military veteran. He loving shattered the window by slapping it as hard as he could.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

flosofl posted:

Would have scared the crap out of me. So mission accomplished.

I'm honestly surprised we had as little property damage as we did. We loved climbing on poo poo.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Wow, you don't often see an "Isadora Duncan" tie-down in real life.

Impressive.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Uthor posted:

The Dollop made a 40+ minute long podcast about Action Park.
http://thedollop.libsyn.com/87-action-park

Got something to listen to when I do night shift at work! I never got to attend Action Park in its heyday because I was 4 when it closed and I live in Florida (though my dad was from NJ), but I'm absolutely fascinated by it and I've read just about everything I can about it. I was pretty disappointed when planning for my vacation that I had two weeks ago and found that Action Park wouldn't reopen until June.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Like, I know it's hard to really see 2015 as "the future." But pretty much everywhere you look in regards to technology and medical advances, we're pretty firmly in what used to be sci-fi. Dude can get an electric shock so bad that his face ends up looking like a caved-in hand puppet and we can make him look virtually normal, at least normal enough that you would pass him on the street and not notice anything unusual.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

That's downright post-apocalyptic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Leperflesh posted:

This is heel toe, FYI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGIiarIrUCI

it is good and not bad

I will never stop being terrified at the sight of those stupid-rear end spectators just barely getting out of the way of the speeding rally car.

• Locked thread