Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

zedprime posted:

You're over thinking it, the reason is companies wonder "how do we label all this bullshit without paying anyone overtime" and the answer usually ends up being "we'll let the trainees do it, they are tracing the lines anyway."

Then everything explodes and they get to star in a CG movie as negligent_manager3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Ema Nymton posted:

This other Imgur post has the details:

http://imgur.com/gallery/9Mg00

Video of a bridge in terrible condition from that gallery
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHZfMp77qxs

Cracks in the beams under the roadway, you can see some of them bouncing with traffic.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Well, he chocked off the jack's wheels.

Or one of them anyways.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

IndianaZoidberg posted:

From my personal collection.:stonklol: (The pictures where incase he fell and I had to try to explain how he died)

http://imgur.com/a/JwLJC

You should really not ride a crank tower all the way up...or ever get on it. OSHA has no influence on the world of corporate entertainment.

By the way, this is what he was riding.

fffffffffffffffff

Those things are so awful to use when they're just lifting set pieces. Trusting your life to a bouncy piece of poo poo crank lift that won't go up or down smoothy seems like a poor choice.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

This thread is turning back into 'post the snuffiest snuff pics u got'

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Seems like a reasonable solution to the problem "how do I control the current in my home made arc welder".

It answers the question "how do I kill myself with a bucket of water and spoonful of lye?"

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Maxwells Demon posted:

I can't imagine that all of that material cost + labor costs is saving you much compared to the $50-100 that a new Variac would cost.

Couldn't you just use a dimmer light switch? Or am I completely off on the amount of power those can handle?

Buying all those those parts new is definitely worse than buying a non suicidal option.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

wh...

why do you put the bottle cap in your mouth?

How does that even work. Do you open it with your teeth and then suck the cap into your mouth and then drink around the cap?

WHY

Water bottle caps are like free gum with every water bottle!

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Those helicopters know how to loving party.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

SolidElectronics posted:

That's probably what they said about the radiotherapy source in the first place.

It wasn't sealed against scavengers with tools looking for scrap.

Luckily there isn't really a market for scrap decaying kid corpses (I hope). The coffin might get scavenged, and the body tossed in a pile/pit if society decays to the point where looting graves for scrap makes sense.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Lurking Haro posted:

Hey, I have a crazy idea. Why not properly process the waste until what's left is harmless in a few hundred years instead of tens of thousand.

-e-
Put a layer of zunes on it to keep people away.

How dangerous is something that's "hot" for 10,000+ years?

Shouldn't things with a high enough decay rate to put out dangerous amounts of radiation have a short enough half life to burn themselves out relatively quickly?

amityville anus posted:

why not just have an empty but real hard to access vault in a larger vault that has the waste in the floor so anybody trying to get black bart's gold dies of poisoning before the vault is opened?

Literally burying it all deep under a mountain in a seismically inactive desert wasn't good enough for some reason.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

CollegeCop posted:

:drat:

How is this a good idea?

He's not obeying the "Don't gently caress with trains" rule, so of course it's a bad idea.

Because seriously, don't gently caress with trains.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Carbon dioxide posted:

To prevent that from happening, some places put the wires and trees underground.

That's fine against wind, but what about backhoe storms?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lw3k3Un9pNk

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Grapeshot posted:

I think the alcohol vapor is going to boil off first, increasing pressure in the bottle and eventually causing a BLEVE. At which point the hot alcohol vapor ignites in the air.

The bottle bursting from being heated, sure. The ~100ml of alcohol boiling off, igniting and making a flare through the ~650ml of water, maybe, ok.

That ~4oz of alcohol making a fireball, causing all the vapor spray to ignite, and leaving sticky flames burning with black smoke on the magnetron and box? nah.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

At least it's not being reposted every 5 pages like that woodchipper pic, followed by a page of woodchipper talk.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Ursine Asylum posted:

Let me know when you find the holistic doctor who starts off his appointments by having you piss in his face and/or giving you a rimjob because "he knows what healthy tastes like".

Text me that info, too.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Reztes posted:

I'm trying to figure out how much exposure she's getting and how much it's likely to gently caress her. So just in that video, the hunk of radioactive graphite she dug out of a radioactive ant hill (:stare:) reads over 100 mSeivert/hour. One seivert seems to be associated with a 5.5% chance of eventually developing cancer, so every hour she handles that part of an exploded nuclear reactor (:catstare:) she increases her risk of developing cancer by .5%, and receives more radiation than an astronaut on the ISS does in 6 months. And that's just the exposure from that pebble.

To mitigate that, it looks like calculating radiation exposure considers whole-body vs. partial exposures, but this being gamma radiation, isn't she basically getting a full body dose just having that so close to her? I can't imagine those gloves or even the tissues of her hands are stopping anything from whipping right through the rest of her, but I have no idea.

The source is 100mSievert/hr at no distance, that energy drops off as an inverse square in relation to distance from the source. She's definitely not using the best of practices, especially in some of the photo-ops, but she's not getting a fully body dose at anything close to 100mS.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Lurking Haro posted:

Let me tell you about all the possible ways to die just by sitting idle in front of your PC, however remote they could be.
There's cautiousness, and there's blind fear, which is just as bad as what she's doing.

People engage in dangerous activities all the time. Usually the justification is either "it's worth it" or "the bad part won't happen to me". She under stands the risks, and seems to really enjoy hunting down bits of reactor core that max out every meter her team carries. I wouldn't be surprised if part of her justification was along the lines of "doing this for x years increases my chances of getting cancer from 65% to 73%" and she's ok with that.

It's not like she's doing something as dangerous as smoking, riding a motorcycle, or roofing work.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

"sure[b posted:

boat[/b]" post="446867205"]
Also this:

We don't go to Ravenholm anymore.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Caconym posted:

intake seacock
Mods! pleeeease

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Funosaurus posted:

Am I mistaken or is there a small child there? :catstare:

In the car gif? No. I had to check the frames, but it's an old woman in back, a younger one in the front, and they're carrying some bags. No kids.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

surebet posted:

Google confirms welding fumes.

PTOs are one of the natural predators of rednecks.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

I've been seeing this gif the wrong way every time it's been posted.

He's pushing that off the end of one of those metal truck platforms, not a loading dock. The edge of the ramp looked like a concrete seam to me.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

chitoryu12 posted:

Either that or the second guy just went "gently caress it" and told him it was cool.

"Someone left the box of shims back at the shop"
"gently caress it, good enough"

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Chocobo posted:

Holy gently caress.

I figured those were always colored chalk powder.

A fuel air mixture going off in a crowd is really loving awful.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

"Many people don't realize that tires are the leading cause of injury in a tire shop."

.... well yeah, what else would it be?

The arm mangling and head crushing machines?

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Waci posted:

What if I show up drunk and accidentally put my head in the arm wrangler or arm in the head crusher? :ohdear:

Oh great, now the arm mangler is going to get a breathalyzer lockout (that we're totally not supposed to bypass by unplugging that green wire) just because some guy got his head mangled in there.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5AokohoasE

Train somehow derails itself at a stop in a station.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

http://www.ft.com/intl/fastft/353721

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

How has she not seen terminator I mean seriously. Surely someone else would have made the same joke before.

Maybe she didn't realize she was missing a joke until twitter did it a few hundred times?

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Just need to re-tighten the straps every few miles.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

H2SO4 posted:

Here's someone's story about trying that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLXSt7eVDPU

I didn't try to make the one that involved boiling gasoline, BECAUSE HOW THE gently caress DO YOU BOIL GASOLINE WITHOUT MAKING A HUGE FIREBALL. But I did make the styrofoam napalm stuff. It was less fun to gently caress around with than normal gasoline.

Edit: Thanks BBS text files for giving me so many terrible ideas as a teen.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

chitoryu12 posted:

The boiling point of gasoline is between 100 and 400 degrees Fahrenheit depending on the exact fuel; this is why gasoline evaporates over time (creating dangerously flammable fumes that are much easier to ignite than the liquid itself). The actual ignition temperature is about 495 degrees Fahrenheit, so you can safely boil it as long as there's no open flames around to risk igniting fumes. This is also why dropping a match or lighter in a puddle or tank of gasoline is more likely to extinguish the flame than ignite it, but dropping in a road flare or something means you better run.

I actually mixed gasoline into a citronella bucket candle by pouring gas on top of the wax, and lighting it on fire to melt the contents, then covering the bucket to snuff out the fire and let the mixture cool. I didn't have any electric hot plates, so trying to boil gas would have involved an open flame under the container. Leading to the expected fire ball or column of flame. Or just accept that everything is going to be on fire and work from there.

This sounds like something from the FOOF thread, not very work related!

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

The more I look at this, the worse it gets.

Like every point where two or more objects meet is stupid and dangerous.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

quote:

“The agency’s document uses terms like ‘serious,’ ‘repeat’ and ‘willful’ — which are definitions in their regulations. We do not believe such regulatory terminology reflects Ashley’s proven commitment to safety.”

quote:

The agency found that workers at the Arcadia, WI plant had experienced more than 1,000 work-related injuries in the last 3.5 years.

PROVEN COMMITMENT TO SAFETY

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

CzarChasm posted:

I want to say that the Ashley stuff was first brought up way back at the beginning of this thread (or the previous version) and now we are getting another helping of violations.

It was, we are.

We get the same 4 gifs posted every 5 pages, so bringing up Ashely's again shouldn't be a problem!

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jy2o4udECQ8

Guy gets busted for driving a scissor lift down a road while drinking a beer on his way back to work.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

HL3 looking low res

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Carbon dioxide posted:

I would guess that the correct way to do this is to have two hooks and have at least one connected at all times. Connect hook above you, climb a few steps, connect 2nd hook above you, remove the hook that's now below you, and so on.

Or something like an ascender on a fixed wire ripe.

Aside from the general insanity of being on 1700ft tower, not clipping in for the transition points where he has to haul himself around around a big flanged plate were the insane parts to me. Not clipping in every 3 feet while going up a ladder or truss? Sure. You're well supported and are making the same motions to repeating holds over and over. Not clipping in when you're searching for new grips and don't have your center of gravity close to the tower? No. Bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2015/08/devastating-warehouse-blasts-hit-china-tianjin-150813011448705.html

1000 Renaults were also destroyed in that explosion/fire.

The death toll is going to shoot up once they can access the area. 32 firefighters "missing" :( plus anyone else not far enough out to be found by emergency services easily.

• Locked thread