Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

FIRST TIME posted:

I know most people focus on the stair insulation in this picture but loving lol at the window at the bottom of the stairs.

Because it's so low? I think code would require tempered glass there but otherwise it doesn't seem that unusual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Well yeah that's why code requires tempered glass there.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I really do love that despite recognizing this being the dumbest loving thing in the universe they still went through with it

It was probably a case of "Well do you have a better idea?"

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is he dead?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

No, he's clearly flailing his arms in panic as he careens toward the ground.

I guess using the skidsteer to break his fall paid off

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

flosofl posted:

I guess, I'm not seeing what you do? How is that any less safe than, say, welding?

It's not like they just attach electrodes on there while they're live. And although this is using electricity to do so , burning wood is a perfectly valid decoration technique in woodworking.

I've seen an instructional video where the guy uses a microwave oven transformer and paints the wood with the baking soda solution before energizing it. Looked pretty cool.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
There's a lot about that photo that doesn't make sense. For one, I would expect the pot to deform some before/during exploding. Also whatever was in it should be everywhere.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Pressure cookers are great, and the newer ones have at least 3 failsafe mechanisms, making them a lot safer than the old jiggler type cookers.

Also, you can make risotto in a pressure cooker in 6 minutes. It's worth it just for that.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
In most cases, with an extra 10 minutes of effort you can cook something from scratch to replace the canned cream of whatever, and the result will be tastier and also have a shitload less salt.

edit: How did the osha thread get to this?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Wookums posted:

Go big and just buy a container of sodium citrate and melt some cheese in a beer with a few grams of that.

Yes, this. Sodium citrate is loving magical. You can make your own nacho cheese sauce from whatever cheeses you want, and it will be perfectly smooth. Mac and cheese, nacho cheese, alfredo style sauce, broccoli cheese soup...all will be perfectly smooth, with no graininess or oily consistency.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

If you squint it looks like a mushroom cloud

fake edit: no way girl

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Mythbusters demonstrated this one fairly well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejEJGNLTo84

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

I know a guy who used to be an engineer for a power company who was telling me about all the calculations that go into how those lines are strung and how much slack is in them. Accounting for the weight of the line itself (which increases over the span the more slack you have), snow and ice loads, wind...I had no idea how complicated it actually was.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

I have so many questions.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

flosofl posted:

Safety, what?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibEdgQJEdTA

It gets weird for a few around 1:00 in.

The part that bothered me the most was the guy feeding in the roll of fiberglass insulation and it's just rubbing against his bare arm as it unrolls. Made me itch.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Would the aluminum have fused itself to the asphalt? I''m trying to figure out how you clean that up. Seems like the hot aluminum would make the asphalt sticky enough to make removing it problematic.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

jetz0r posted:

More than 3C/hr, but still seems manageable.

I'm assuming they could re-melt it in those casks if it cooled all the way down? (Unlike with a concrete truck, if it sets they're just boned.)

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Someone's building a jet Johnny Cash style.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

C.M. Kruger posted:

From the way the fire chases the people, I'm guessing some kind of heavier than air gas or vaporized fuel?

Feel bad for the dude that was taught to run toward giant fireballs.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That a workplace has a standard procedure for what to do when someone gets cut in half tells me that there's got to be a better way.

Is that guy in the gif doing things the way it's supposed to be? Are the people that get hurt getting in between the big bumper looking things sticking out or something else?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah no that's fine. He has redundant systems there in case one stick fails.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

spog posted:

I'm confused where this smack-talking is going.

Is one of you accusing the other of having a ladder fetish?

I think he has a fetish for creeper pics. I mean just look at this thing

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

GotLag posted:

How would one go about safely demolishing such a structure?

I bet you could just douse it in jet fuel and set it on fire so it melts it

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
We have a job with 28 buildings, the majority of which were built before the code required sprinklers. A few of them have sprinklers, but not remote monitoring, and a few have sprinklers and monitoring. So what's funny is if the phone line goes down on one of the monitored buildings, we have to pay someone to stand on fire watch until it's back up, despite the fact that there 20 buildings right next to it that never have any kind of alarm or sprinkler.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

mostlygray posted:

This is one of the most bizarre things I've seen. Normally you use a picker. This behavior seems to be par for the course for his job. He just expects that the forklift will save him. Without it, he would have been mangled. I've had a log pile collapse under me once and it is terrifying. Fortunately, I only messed up 3 fingers and was able to straighten them without issue, but I could have easily been crushed. I just got lucky. Never again.

Don't play with stacked logs.

GIven how he just seemed to be poking them with the fork, I don't see how there was any possible ending besides what happened.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Giant scaffolding collapse in Houston today. I guess when one section fails it all fails. The video is pretty amazing for just how much collapsed scaffolding there is.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/16/us/houston-scaffolding-collapse/index.html

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Every one of these disasters begins with someone opening a valve. There's your problem.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ncumbered_by_idgits posted:

Uh yeah, besides breaking the hell out of my table......HOLY loving poo poo WHAT IS THAT?

You know those "No Smoking" signs at gas stations? Well,

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
He should probably wear eye protection

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Three-Phase posted:

Yeah I guess that's a common chemistry thing where horrible chemical A + horrible chemical B = totally safe nice chemical C

Sodium Chloride?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Platystemon posted:

Illustration from 1956 or 1958

Seems unusual for something from that period to have the woman driving.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Reverse google image search points to several listings from a 1972 National Lampoon magazine. Looks like Bruce McCall is the artist. "Hobby Pop" may be the name of the image.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Emy posted:

Are you implying suction doesn't go toward low pressure? I don't understand the distinction you're making here.

Imagine a plane on a treadmill,

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

As with so many of these, I have to wonder: What did they think would happen? The pallet would levitate?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Sockington posted:

I'd like to think it was inset too far for the forklift (see screen left) to reach. Im thinking they thought they could shimmy it closer to the edge and then pull the hand cart out. Obviously that stopping part to switch to the fork truck never happened.

Ah, that makes sense. It never had a chance to work because of where the wheels are on the pallet jack, but it makes sense.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
OHGODOHGODOHGOD

Key takeaway from the article: He was trying to push a piece of wood in with his foot. He went in feet (or foot) first. Jesus.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Robo Reagan posted:

I mean, if you're that curious google image search is a few clicks away

Yeah there's one of those incidents that was photgraphically documented fairly well. It's uh...pretty much what you'd expect.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You can melt glass in a microwave?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I've only ever successfully exploded pyrex.

I once tried to use a Bernzomatic to melt the neck of a wine bottle, without taking thermodynamics into account. I only heated it from one side, instead of turning it to heat it evenly. The neck went splodey and left little shard of glass all over the kitchen. My wife just looked at me and shook her head. It was so not OSHA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
At least that way you don't have to remember what color the hot wire is.

• Locked thread