Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
I enjoyed Hogan's Five Lessons, it's a good read and using a professional's swing as inspiration for your own is never a bad idea. But yes, take lessons. Your instructor can fix in five minutes what would otherwise take you two hours of reading and two months of swinging to fix.

It's not exactly a "repeatable swing book", but I also really liked Harvey Penick's Little Red Book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
Yeah I dunno what the deal is. Back stiffness shouldn't cause a professional golfer to suddenly have the short game of a 20-handicapper. I also completely disagree with the pundits who are trying to link the changes he made to his full swing to his suddenly awful short game. Nobody's chipping stroke is anything like their full swing, nor does one affect the other (physically).

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
I do agree that it must be something mental, but I doubt it's related to :gooncamp:. He played very well in 2012 and fantastically in 2013 - he was the best golfer by a wide margin that season even though he didn't win a major. Maybe his injuries are starting to be accompanied by chronic pain that affects him between swings and that he can't ignore.

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.

DJExile posted:

God drat if this isn't true. My "eeh, gently caress it" game is great.

I've started to not carry a scorecard when I play alone. I'm sure this is a bad thing to do if you care about your handicap, or like to play in tournaments and need to simulate playing under pressure. But if you just want a confidence boost or motivation to practice more it's pretty great. At the end of the round you remember all the good shots you made, instead of the bad ones that gave you a Bad Number, since there are no Numbers. It's almost therapeutic.

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
With wedges you should also consider "bounce" to a certain extent. The last thread (linked in the OP) explains pretty much all you need to know. More bounce is better for fluffy sand, high grass and soft conditions - less bounce is better for tight lies and harder conditions - medium bounce is okay-ish for both unless you tend to take big divots. All your irons slowly increase in bounce in a standard progression, but with wedges you can choose to have more or less than "normal".

It can also be very difficult to hit a high-bounce wedge off of fairways or range mats, which is why you might hit sand wedges and 56-60 degree wedges horribly if you demo them at a Golf Galaxy or something. I like to carry a med-high bounce sand wedge for sand and rough, and a low bounce 60 degree wedge for short grass and fairways, but like DJExile said a lot of it is personal preference. But for most people it's really hard to hit high-bounce wedges off mats and firm fairways because you'll keep blading the ball.

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
6000 isn't too absurd on a Par 70 with only eight par-4s. A few doglegs and some reachable par-5s can really bring the yardage down even if the par-4s are respectable.

I'm going to guess there are issues with pace of play on that course, though. Par 5s next to Par 3s are bad news and it's chock full of them.

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.

Sataere posted:

How do I teach myself using youtube? I don't have the money to drop on lessons at the moment, but I do have unlimited balls at the range, so I figure I can just keep working until I fix it if I have to.

It's difficult to be your own swing coach, because it's very easy to work on the wrong thing.

The reason lessons are so invaluable is because a professional can (1) identify your flaws and tell you about them, and (2) identify your strengths and keep quiet about them, so you don't try to change something you naturally execute well.

Everyone executes some portion of a golf swing perfectly, unconsciously, without needing to think about it. If you watch a video about a swing tip, you might start to exaggerate a motion that you were doing perfectly before you watched the video. That's one reason why listening to someone else's lesson is a bad idea - you don't need to hear about wrist cocking if you already cock your wrists, for example.

The safest, worthwhile thing to do on YouTube is to review your fundamentals of grip, stance, and ball position. Keep your current swing, experiment with incremental changes in those three fundamentals, and see how it affects your consistency and ball flight.

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.

Sataere posted:

Yeah, I get that, but I feel like I know what my problem is. I bring my backswing in, with my chest facing backwards and pressure on my back foot and then I just arm swing, doing nothing with the torque I just generated. I just don't know what I'm supposed to do to release.

I mean, what is really the worst that is going to happen with loving with my swing with youtube videos. I'll only hit my 7 iron 90 yards? Because that's what I'm doing now anyway. (It isn't quite that bad, but it's close.)

The worst thing that could happen is a creation of bad habits that will be more difficult to fix once you invest in lessons. It can also be frustrating to experiment with a lot of swing changes and not improve very much. Granted, an instructor's changes can also make things go from bad to worse for a few months, but there's more psychological comfort when an experienced professional urges you to stay invested in the process.

TopGolf is a fun place though! If you have unlimited range balls and don't get frustrated easily then sure - experiment, whack some balls around and see what you can do until you can invest in some lessons.

This would also be the perfect time to watch a bunch of videos on chipping and putting. They're more personalized and based on feel, so taking in as much information as possible and incorporating that info into your practice time is a good approach to short-game practice.

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
My favorite is Phil Mickelson https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7d68hydVbWA getting really smug about lobbing.

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
Does anyone have any speculation as to the real reasons Hazeltine has been re-routed for the Ryder Cup?

The PGA's official stance uses the word "safety" a lot, as any good press office would encourage these days. They make it sound as though walking around certain parts of the golf course on a brisk autumn evening is certain to induce a most painful death on undulating cart paths over treacherous chasms and crevasses that have swallowed many an unwary spectator whole. To which my only response is "lol".

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
Yeah I'm watching some of Sky's preview shows and now they've mentioned holes being "two-sided" with more room for galleries.

Hopefully come Friday they aren't lined fairway to green with corporate hospitality tents :classiclol:

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
I have to support the USA because it's the motherland and I'm not prepared to go fully native, but do they ever make it difficult. Over-analysis, TASK FORCES, defiling art by attempting to make it into a science, babba booey mashed potatoes, "best team ever assembled".

Meanwhile the Europeans just agree a basic approach, play a bit of golf, and bookend it with pints.

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
Who's ready for a foursome, gents?

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
To the surprise of no one Phil and Fowler are all over the place. They should really be playing four ball instead of foursomes.

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
Lol at that 380 yard drive by Rory.

Also the men shouting CHEESEBURGER on the par 3s must die.

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
Spieth is annoying and slow and a douche and apparently bad at golf too.

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
The scores basically reflect the standard of that session. Holmes and Moore are a bad pairing who didn't deserve to win but OTOH Lee Westwood is a giant dumb badger man.

Darren Clarke is purple and sounds close to tears.

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.

Bankok posted:

Tomorrow's Pairings:
Reed/McIlroy 12:04 (ET)
Spieth/Stenson 12:15
Holmes/Pieters 12:26
Fowler/Rose 12:37
Walker/Cabrera-Bello 12:48
Mickelson/Garcia 12:59
Moore/Westwood 1:10
Snedeker/Sullivan 1:21
D. Johnson/Wood 1:32
Koepka/Willett 1:43
Kuchar/Kaymer 1:54
Z. Johnson/Fitzpatrick 2:05

McIlroy, Stenson, Pieters, and Rose will win the first four to make it USA 9.5 EUR 10.5, and there will be lots of shots of Davis Love on the verge of vomiting.

Walker/Cabrera-Bello and Moore/Westwood will both halve it (Moore is very bad, worse than Westwood at everything except three-footers). Mickelson and Snedeker (who has played brilliantly) will win. USA 12.5 EUR 11.5.

Dustin Johnson lacks form so I'll pick Wood. Koepka and Willet have both been good so halve it, why not. Kaymer hasn't made a putt all week so Kuchar will win that. USA 14 EUR 13. Zach Johnson drinks a five hour energy and hits Fitzpatrick across the face with a Bible, who then grows his first pube but loses.

And those are my useless and unsubstantiated predictions, does anyone have any questions

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
Apparently Patrick Reed's thick fat wrists injured Jordan Spieth's weak bitch wrist during a hand slap yesterday.

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.

sportsgenius86 posted:

Hahahaha Miller with the burn on Sergio

What did he say

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
The Ryder Cup is the one golf event that American "sports fans" attend and that's basically unique to the USA, for now. You don't get football (the kicky football) fans traveling to Gleneagles en masse yet.

The English are also "better" at compartmentalizing their behavior to certain events. Loutish football supporters magically become polite and cordial at horse racing because everyone knows that you don't misbehave at the horse racing. It's weird and almost unbelievable, but it's true.

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
There isn't a paved road to Scotland yet

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.

Paul Proteus posted:

I'm due to upgrade my irons after using a 15+ year old hand me down set for a while now. I saw Cobra is releasing a 1-length set because of DeChambeau. I know this is super uncommon up until this point, but has anyone seen/used any before?

I've seen one-length sets but not used them. Everyone I've seen with them looks like a giant dick (even more giant than people under 50 who use anchored putters).

If you have a chance to hit them without buying them, hit them and report your experiences. I would not recommend a blind purchase. If you hit them and like them, I would still think long and hard if you value the social aspect of golf.

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
Fully erect at all times

e: ok I might be being a little too :ironicat: for a serious question post, apologies. I would just caution that a user of one-length irons will (1) be different than 99% of golfers out there, and (2) is probably going to permanently alter their muscle memory in a way that affects their ability to swing a traditional set of clubs

runoverbobby fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Oct 19, 2016

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
I didn't realise the wedges are also the same length, and the clubs all have the same bounce :psyduck:.

They're certainly interesting, and in theory could help newer players or players frustrated with longer irons. But for the latter group it might be better to invest hours into re-learning long irons instead of investing hours re-learning everything.

And also to tee it forward. If you're at the correct tees for your standard driving performance, you hit a lot more 7 8 9 W than 4 and 5.

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.

Unknownmass posted:

cutting down my driver was also important to getting my swing to be more repeatable path.

Driver shaft length is so crazy off the rack these days. Even professionals have difficulty controlling a 46 inch shaft.

Re: long irons again and then I'll (probably) shut up about it, but I'm always sceptical of golfers who think inability to hit long irons is the main thing holding them back or ruining their enjoyment of the game. You don't use them very often, unless your driving is poor or you're on the wrong tees. On most courses you hit long irons off the deck on the 2-3 longest par 4s, and maybe a par 5. Three shots. On par 3s and other situations (e.g. tee shot on a dogleg you don't want to draw/fade), you can tee it up. If you can hit a good 7 iron, you can hit a 4 iron/hybrid off a tee.

Long irons are everyone's worst club. Even when you learn to hit them better, you still hate them because even though the shot now looks pretty, you still didn't hold the green.

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
The drink for winners of the major no one cares about

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.

mattfl posted:

There's cameras on every hole, they know where the players are on the course, this shouldn't be that difficult to do! Another way to say it would be let me start my broadcast at a specific time and go hole to hole, resulting in the same following a group throughout their round.

I've been living in the UK for a couple of years now, and in my opinion their networks are much better at maintaining hole to hole continuity and making it feel like you're watching a round of golf rather than a highlights package. I've never heard them use the phrase "this just a moment ago".

The one downside is that Butch Harmon commentates for Sky and he sounds like a demented troll.

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
Anyone who spends more than 90 seconds looking for a lost ball already deserves to die.

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.

dangling pointer posted:

What is the reasoning behind the change to shoulder height for dropping a ball? I've never really thought that was a problem or something that needed changed, but I've never really thought about it.

Could be to eliminate situations where the ball's undoubtedly going to roll nearer the hole. Any sort of slope and the ball's going to bounce and travel forward if dropped from shoulder height, resulting in that silly process of (1) drop (2) chase ball (3) drop (4) chase ball (5) place where it struck the course. If you can drop from ankle height you'll probably be able to play immediately.

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
Why didn't they just ignore the email lol. Or privately respond a week later with a "thanks for pointing that out, we'll be watching closely at the next tournament".

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
Hmm, my take on the US Open fiasco was it was symptomatic of the modern impulsion to consume as much information as possible, until you get it "right".

Traditionalists also love a good nitpick, but are less tolerant of complaining and decisions being made by the wrong person at the wrong time. I think Augusta officials would encourage the PGA to delete the email in a similar situation.

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
I've now seen the video, and it's more obvious than I thought it would be. It looks like she moves it further horizontally along the surface than vertically off the surface. Nobody would have noticed if it was a pick-up-and-clean situation, but since the ball barely leaves the ground it magnifies the horizontal movement.

I still don't approve of fan snitching. If a playing partner or official doesn't notice during the round, that should be the end of it. The scorecard penalty is also disproportionate when combined with fan snitching. It's fine if it's contemporaneous with the round since it encourages self-reporting.

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.

lol at the other guy being Charley Hoffman

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
If they ever split official rules into an amateur set and professional set (they should), OB/Lost Ball is the first thing that should change for amateurs. Nothing slows rounds down more than hitting provisionals, searching for balls, and returning to the tee because you thought you saw where the ball landed but can't find it for whatever reason.

runoverbobby fucked around with this message at 19:44 on May 2, 2018

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.

This is cool and good and I hope people follow it.

I have always found it odd that a lost ball is punished more severely than hitting unplayable into a water hazard. A ball in the middle of a pond is as good as lost. Nobody is scuba diving to retrieve it or pinpoint its exact location. One's estimation of where the ball "crossed the hazard line" is just as accurate/inaccurate as estimating where the ball entered the brush/thicket/fescue/pile of leaves where it disappeared.

Hitting into the water is also 100% a gently caress-up, whereas a lost ball is often just bad luck.

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.

torgeaux posted:

Yes, but it punishes the more wayward shot. A ball lost in a hazard is an expected outcome on a whole with water. Hitting it so far right you cannot find it? How else would you penalize it? You have no way to accurately place the ball except back at the location of the last shot.

Makes sense for OB, but lost ball isn’t always a “more wayward” shot. There are lots of courses where fescue, bushes, and thick grass are right next to the fairway, in the same strategic positions that true hazards would be located. I’ve lost balls that barely missed the fairway in autumn; it can be a real mess if there are leaves and freshly mowed grass clippings in the rough.

You penalize it using the technique in the link that daslog posted: drop it where the ball entered OB or where it entered the pile of crap it’s lost in, no nearer the hole. That isn’t any less accurate than guesstimating where it entered a hazard.

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
A non-OB lost ball doesn't occur because of machismo 'swing away with mah driver' mentalities, or from cutting a dogleg. From a pure shot-making perspective, hitting an aggressive shot in the presence of water vs in the presence of bushes or fescue (in-play) is the same risk-reward calculation. I just think it's weird quirk in the rules that liquid obstructions are treated more gently than thick foliage obstructions.

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.

torgeaux posted:

Doesn't ONLY result from that. It isnt the same risk reward, because they are not the same in the rules. Knowing the rules are different in advance should make a player treat the two differently.

I understand this - by "pure shot-making perspective" I meant ignoring the scorecard ramifications and focusing on the probability of making the shot vs ending up in trouble. When I care about my score, I do play shots differently depending on how the rules will penalize my missed shots, but frankly, I dislike courses that have ball-swallowing crap on them instead of true hazards, because on those courses missing a few greens or fairways = five minutes searching for a ball every time.

quote:

Pace of play problems arent caused by these rules, and what problem are they solving otherwise?

I do think these rules have a severe effect on pace of play, even for the very skilled golfer, because (a) there is a big incentive to take the full five minutes searching for the ball, because the penalty for not finding it is the harshest in the game, and (b) after the search, players are moving backwards on the course. Provisionals ameliorate this, but it isn't always obvious that a provisional is needed, and there is still time used hitting the provisional and traveling from the lost ball site to the provisional ball site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
I’m back in the US this week - the Ryder Cup is exclusively on the loving Golf Channel???