Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Yeah honestly my consumption of golf Youtube has crashed since Matt left the first time. To be fair, part of this is because the TSR woods had recently launched and I’m playing less. OG TXG was basically the GamersNexus of golf club reviews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

This is wild

https://twitter.com/shaneryanhere/status/1662102095623856131?s=46

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The 90s were wild (very slightly NSFW) https://www.instagram.com/reel/CrjHb0PLTwd/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I interrupt your regularly scheduled Saudi takeover chat to announce :siren: The US Open thread is up! https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4034172 :siren:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

:siren: The Open thread is up! https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4037126 :siren:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Petey posted:

has anyone tried moving to a shorter driver shaft? i'm thinking of having it fitted/tested

https://twitter.com/loustagner/status/1680977517027422208?s=42&t=WUq4gxw3bpax2eIWJFA1lw
I think there's a nonlinear relationship here.

If you're an average to poor golfer, say you shoot in the 90s, you would probably benefit more from the longer shaft because you're hitting it all over the face anyway.

If you shoot in the 80s, you would probably benefit from the shorter shaft to help you get into the 70s and reduce the number of OB drives.

If you shoot in the 70s, it depends but as you get closer to scratch, you're likely to benefit from the longer shaft because your misses aren't that bad.

The person in the tweet had a 6.1 handicap at the time so he probably shoots in the low 80s most of the time with some high 70s.

The main effect of a longer shaft isn't impact location per se but timing. Longer shafts are usually more difficult to time but it's also possible (albeit unlikely) that you might time things better.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jul 18, 2023

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Farking Bastage posted:

Holy poo poo dude! He's launching piss missiles for real.

Would someone mind throwing me a bone? I can't figure out why the ball looks like it's right in the center of the clubface to me at address but I'm catching the hosel bigtime.

Am I really too close to it or am I way too flat? It's been a struggle as of late.
You have a very strong grip but not enough body rotation through impact. In order to not hit duck hooks, chances are you are raising the grip through impact, trying to keep the face from turning over, but this speculation without a video.

I would start with making your grip more neutral.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

You’re coming out of your posture and losing your spine angle/side bend on the downswing (also called early extension or humping the goat). This causes loss of power and general inconsistency and is a common fault. A good drill on the range is to put a bag stand or alignment rod stuck into the ground directly behind you so that your buttcheeks are touching it at address and try to keep your butt touching it through impact.

Discussion on side bend and losing your posture: https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cu6oq1-OaSJ/

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

torgeaux posted:

Average drive distances for handicap golfers is so low compared to what people think.

https://golf.com/instruction/driving/driving-distance-average-golfers-new-report/?amp=1
I literally do not believe that male golfers with <6 handicap average 240 yds with their driver. I wonder if there’s a systematic difference in who registers for a handicap in the UK, where they got their data.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

GEMorris posted:

Can someone please explain "high loft 3 woods" to me? Is there any reason other than ego that these are not just called 4 woods?
I've never heard the term "high loft 3 wood". I have heard the term "lofted wood" which generally refers to a 5 wood or higher.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Plank Walker posted:

So I bought a new golf towel and it's huge, the loop for hanging it is on the long side, and it has a slit in the center of it... how am I supposed to attach this to my bag?

Every other towel I've had has had like 3 holes along the long edge that you line up so it folds like a letter in an envelope when you put a clip through it
Just drape it across the top of your bag. Can put alignment sticks through the holes.

Josh Lyman posted:

Did someone say headcover shot?

New (used) irons and 52*.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Parker Lewis posted:

Just finished my third season playing in a league (and third year of playing golf) and while my game has gotten a lot better than when I started, I am still a 25-30 handicap with a lot of inconsistency in my ball striking.

I played this year with the swing I had but would like to spend the upcoming offseason getting rid of some of my bad habits; in particular a very "armsy" swing and not much shoulder/hip rotation.

I have watched a lot of YouTube videos and taken some lessons but I am still really struggling with keeping my lead arm straight.

The strange thing to me is that even when I try to really exaggerate something in my swing, like keeping my front arm straight at all costs, or taking a shorter backswing, the resulting video of my swing looks no different than my usual swing.

Not really sure where to go from here, I spent a frustrating hour hitting into a net yesterday and felt like I made no progress despite every effort to keep my lead arm straight. Any suggestions for how to address this?
Post a video of your swing

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

GEMorris posted:

I realize there are no accepted standards for what "flex" really means as a measure, and that it is relative, within a single product line *at best*, but does anyone here have any experience with the nippon 850gh neo or 950gh neo lines? I'm wondering if I can double soft step regular flex into enough of a senior flex for someone. I've heard the lines run soft compared to most steel shafts (aside from say Zelos which is on another level of flexibility).
Soft stepping and hard stepping is about tweaking feel. It doesn't really change performance characteristics, and for that you'd need to go 2x.

If this is for a new set of clubs, I would look for a different shaft. Might make sense to go graphite.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

ElGroucho posted:

It doesn't make any sense for them anymore. They don't sell golf balls or clubs, and that's where the money is at. You can only make so much money selling clothes and shoes.
This is backwards. Soft goods (clothes and shoes) are where the margins are. That’s why they exited the club and ball business.

That said, premium balls are a big money maker, but Titleist has that well locked up and Nike couldn’t make inroads.

They probably pay out too much in sponsorships and aren’t selling enough clothes to recoup the investment.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Aggro posted:

Hay goon golfers,

I've been pretty consistent with hitting balls at least twice a week, and I'm definitely seeing some good things. I have definitely improved my ability to shallow the club and not swing over-the-top, and my contact is far more consistent than it used to be. However, I'm still really struggling to shift weight to my left hip, and more than anything, I still cannot get my lead hip to move back instead of extending.

Here's an 8 iron and a 3 wood from last week:

8 Iron

3 Wood

If anyone has some good drills they'd recommend, I'm all for it. There's an outrageous amount of content online but I've found it helpful to pick a specific aspect of the swing to focus on each week or so.
Your motion, especially with the 8 iron, is more like shoveling snow than swinging a golf club. It seems very stiff, especially your wrists. Your backswing is too flat and too far inside, causing the club to get stuck behind you. Your weight is shifting in the wrong direction in both the backswing and downswing. Your grip is also quite strong, especially your right hand. If anything, I would say you fixated on shallowing your swing and went way too far (though I’m sure it wasn’t the only issue).

I’ve obviously mentioned a lot of things you can work on. The difficulty with the golf swing is that you can’t work on one part in isolation because it will affect other parts of the swing. The golf swing is reactive, so changes need to be made in consideration as part of the whole.

So what can we do? Instead of fixing any specific issue, I’d like to see you work on the more basic premise of making a looser, more fluid motion. Stretching can help too. You know those wacky inflatable tube guys in front of car dealerships? I want you to imagine yourself as one of those, like you’re doing interpretative dance. This idea will hopefully help with all the other issues and get them to a place where minor tweaks are feasible.

This drill will help get you moving more dynamically:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raXWIullNTY

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Feb 7, 2024

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Anno posted:

Tiger's new clothing looks nice, but I really don't care for the branding.

https://twitter.com/PGATOUR/status/1757231925096222811?s=20
Why is Sunday 2 words? :thunk:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Oodles posted:

I posted a swing video of mine on Reddit, gently caress me everyone has an opinion. Here’s the swing in question.

Your action is generally pretty good, but your swing is very upright which doesn’t allow you to generate power rotationally. In other words, you’re chopping wood and we want to get you closer to throwing a discus.

First thing is more flex in your knees. Imagine you’re a shortstop, ready to leap left or right depending on where the batter hits the ball. You’re going to feel like you’re squatting but you won’t be.

Second thing is to get the plane of your swing less upright. Again the baseball metaphor is useful. You can practice swinging the club above the ground at home (even pretending you’re playing tee ball may be useful), and on the range you can hit some balls from your knees—it will feel silly but I actually want you to try to hit the ball from a kneeling position. We want you swinging around your body instead of straight up/straight down.

It will likely be tough sledding at first because the timing to match up your face angle and swing path will be different, but this will improve the consistency of your impact (I’m guessing you struggle with chunking and thinning in general but especially in the short game) and you’ll hit the ball much farther.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Mar 16, 2024

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Oodles posted:

managed to rip the video.

making GBS threads my pants
https://i.imgur.com/Pva5BFl.mp4

not making GBS threads as much
https://i.imgur.com/q8taoxO.mp4

Plz no critiquing my club face, i'm working on that too.
Your action is much improved from last year but I don’t know why this instructor told you to poo poo your pants less. My guess is he decided to change your posture to better match your upright swing plane, which is a quicker “fix” but not the right long term solution. You actually want your old posture, just not your old swing.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Mar 16, 2024

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Urethane posted:

Anyone have thoughts on "driving irons", those long irons that are big and hollow but still kind of iron-shaped?

After another round of good driving and irons but disastrous hybrid play I think I might take the hybrids out of the bag for a while and put my 4 and 5 iron back in. No matter how I try to fix things, I always have and toe-biased miss patter with the hybrids, and I seem to be mentally compensating when I try things like adjusting the ball placement and other things. My other clubs also have a toe-bias but it's not nearly as bad, on the hybrids it's in overdrive.

It will take some serious range work to figure out, so while I work on that I'm thinking of trying some driving irons and maybe adding one to the bag to fill the gap that used to be filled by my 3, 4, and 5 hybrid which all go further than my 4 iron.
Driving irons, although easier to hit than long irons, are generally difficult to hit. You can give them a shot but may have more success with a 7 wood or 9 wood, especially to stop the ball on the green.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Kirios posted:

Top of bag is currently 3W, 5W, 4h

Would I be a crazy person to go 3W, 5W, 7W?
That’s a totally normal setup. It will depend on your actual distance gapping but it’ll probably work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

:siren: Masters thread is up! https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4058173 :siren: