Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
My god. This Valspar champonship... Spieth and Moore just doing what they can to lose.

edit: Oh man this playoff is the tits.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Mar 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Pretty sure Jimenez would beat the gently caress out of Keegan ... or really anybody on the tour (all while smoking a cigar).

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I haven't been able to play golf since I've had my baby girl, but I DID buy a house with a nice backyard.

I'd love to get some sort of ball/net system so I can at least practice some until I can go out again. I have arthritis so to "get back in the game" can take a bit and I'd like to just keep myself loose.

I'm guessing it's as simple as a net/turf mat, but does anybody have nay suggestions?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Just had a friend that was in Ireland last week and he posted a pic of him playing a links course (his first time in Ireland - don't know which course) and dear God the green looked like a bombing testing ground.

edit: I should add that his pic was complete and utter joy.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 21:03 on May 29, 2015

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Kameh posted:

I didn't get to see his round yesterday except for the last two shots he played (getting up and down on 18 to make the cut), but somebody on the Tiger Tracker feed said he was dealing with a blister on his hand today. Anybody get to watch to confirm/deny?

Watching his highlights (loose usage of the term) through the first 11 or 12 didn't seem to show any blister pain. Or at least he definitely didn't act like it. Just some terrible shot making. Inaccurate off the tees, short game was ... abysmal to say the least. And he couldn't find a putt to save his life.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

thebushcommander posted:

Don't suppose anyone here has ever played Oak Island Golf Club down in Oak Island, NC? Going there for a week at the beginning of August and the course is only 1/2 mile from the beach house I am staying at so I fully intend to play at least once even though I am going to be playing with weekend hackers that are good for 120+ rounds.

Why do you hate us?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

thebushcommander posted:

:( I don't, I just like playing with people as good or better than my as I tend to play better golf. Purely because I make better decisions trying to beat the other person. When I play with 20+ handicaps I drink more beer and make poor decisions.

Yeah I was kidding of course. I hate when I feel like I'm bringing someone down from a good game :(. That's why I usually just smack whiffle balls and get drunk in my back yard and yell at people walking down the street.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Smug/pissy or not... nothing has helped my short game like listening to Phil!

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

DJExile posted:

how have I never seen this before, goddamn :munch:

loving lol:

https://twitter.com/NoLayingUp/status/630484659776942080

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Ha, if I did that with a crowd around me I'd injure at least 5 or 6 people (1 or 2 seriously).

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Boco_T posted:

Is there some kind of expected bad weather for tomorrow at Muirfield? Why is everyone off the tee by 9:30 AM? At least everything will maybe be wrapped up by like 3?

https://www.pgatour.com/tournaments/the-memorial-tournament-presented-by-nationwide/tee-times.html

Yep but then it didn't really materialize I think. So now it's in a three way playoff poo poo show (that's a brutal 18th).

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Boco_T posted:

Brandt Snedeker started with a bogey and shot a 59 including a 176-yard second shot hole out on 6. There are some people out on the course but he’s going to end up with around a 5-shot lead after day one of the event.

edit: I'm an idiot that was looking at the wrong day.

Also that hole out was directly in the cup I believe right? I love that poo poo.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Man that roar when Tiger putted in. Dangggg.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Daric posted:

Man this camera work is lovely. Pat takes a weird drop on the opposite side of the pond, pulls a hybrid out, swings and... close up of his face. No clue where the ball went.

Glad I'm not the only one. Tuning in this morning and it's like it's a bunch of first timers.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Suprfli6 posted:

Cameron Champ cracked the top of his driver as he was warming up for the final round of the Sanderson Farms today. I honestly wonder how long drivers typically last for him since he's getting 190-192 mph ballspeed on most swings. I still can't get over the fact that he's swinging 130 when it looks slower than many other guys. Finau is kind of the same way with such a short backswing yet still hitting it well above tour average.

I always forget about that tourney... And I live here! I went a few times when it was the Viking at Annandale and it's really fun and chill. Haven't been since they moved to the Jackson Country Club but that course looks like crap. Not sure why they moved it.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

mattfl posted:

2020 Masters Tickets applications are now open!

https://tickets.masters.com

Interesting you can only win one day. How do you get full tourney badges or are those not a thing anymore? Or just a corporate thing? Back in the day when we went we always had full four day badges (however these were lifetime tickets my grandmother had and they died with her so it's likely just some old standard).

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

thecopsarehere posted:

I've been lurking this thread for a while and it occurred to me I have an interesting story to share from a few months ago.

My friend and I were back in our hometown for Memorial Day weekend and we played at the university course because it's the only public course in the area. She's a beginner and I'm a bogey golfer on a good day.

When I get to the green of the 4th hole I notice the cart of the twosome (two younger guys) up near the green of the 100 yard par 3 5th hole. By the time we putt get to the next tee, the cart is still there but no sign of them on the green. I figure they are looking for balls in the woods right next to the green since the course is dead.

So I decide to hit away and of course my ball gets awfully close to hitting their cart and I yell fore. It turns out I couldn't see their balls on the green.

When I get up to them I apologize to one of them and say something like "hope I didn't scare you there, haha". He's in jeans and a t-shirt and says something like "it would take a lot to scare me" in an overly macho and humorless way. Not really hostile but whatever, stereotypical redneck behavior that I'm used to. They then go to putt. Still not sure what they were doing when I hit my tee shot.

As they're finishing up the hole, I notice the guy has the butt of a revolver sticking out of his front jeans pocket! I can't think of a more absurd place to carry one for protection, especially considering the school/town, and I think it is against campus policy. But I certainly wouldn't want to say anything if I were the kid working in the club house!

Needless to say, for the remaining 4 holes (only a 9 hole course) we hung back a bit more. They were in no hurry whatsoever and the other guy wasn't even playing, so that made it extra fun.

Has anyone else seen a gun on the course?

"It would take a lot to scare me" says area man caring revolver because he scared of literally everything.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Kameh posted:

This is not true at all. Forced carries off the tee or into the green make all the difference.

He was being sarcastic

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Cheating, to me, signals intent and after watching the video it sure seems like he was trying to get away with it so I would say yes he's cheating. The penalty is independent of whether it was cheating or not. You can get a penalty for cheating as well as accidental rules violations.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Daric posted:

It’s the same concept thought right? That offensive lineman isn’t accidentally grabbing a fistful of jersey, he’s just hoping he doesn’t get caught.

It’s obviously a pretty nuanced discussion but everyone from the top down in the PGA said it’s a penalty and he didn’t cheat so I’m gonna go with that.

Yes....? If the lineman intended to then yes it's cheating. Granted linemen also have to try to block with closed fists or not grabbing and it's possible to accidentally grab. In which case it's not cheating but still a penalty. Same with grounding your club. Possible to do accidentally and still incur a penalty. Also possible to do intentionally and also still incur a penalty.

If the PGA said he's not a cheater (did they actually say that specifically?) then ok that's the official ruling. Doesn't mean I'm not going to call him a cheater though. He seemed to do it pretty clearly and, while of course it's subjective, he's a cheater in my eyes.

But penalty and cheating aren't mutually exclusive things to me. You get one for doing it accidentally and on purpose. If you did it on purpose you're a cheater regardless of being caught and penalized or not.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Daric posted:

Yeah I'm obviously a bit biased here in that I've met Patrick a few times and like him personally, but I am aware of how the things he does look to the outside world. I am also aware that Justine running his social media and sending out Cease and Desists is not a good look. But the PGA investigated and both Slugger and Jay Monahan agree that they don't think he was intentionally cheating. So on one side you have a bunch of fans saying he was cheating and asking him to take a harsher punishment and on the other side you have the governing body of the sport going "we believe you, it's a 2-shot penalty". Which party do you think he's going to listen to?

He's not your friend. He's a cheater.

I don't care what the PGA says. They only ruled that way because they aren't, understandably, in the business of trying to scientifically quantify intention. However everyone else can see it plain as day.

He does it not once... but twice. And it's clearly noticeable that he's moving the sand both times. And he's looking at the ball.

Even if he did it by accident (narrator: he didn't) he's ALSO cheating by not making it aware to an official that he moved the sand which is also one of his duties.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Daric posted:

These things are not mutually exclusive, you know that right?

What I'm saying is that you met him a few times. He's not your friend. Definitely you don't know him well enough to be swayed from his intention here.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Daric posted:

I'm not claiming to know his intention, I'm saying that everyone involved with the PGA tour has talked to him and THEY trust his intention.

Dude I'm just razzing you for saying meeting him a few times was somehow enough to make you biased.

edit: But on a serious note. I seriously doubt they trust his intention. More like they couldn't prove it quantifiably. I mean watch the video again. He does it twice very clearly. Dude cheated.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Daric posted:

Well it wasn’t just meeting him a few times, his caddy has been one of my best friends for 25 years. Justine drove me to golf practice every day for 2 years in high school. So there’s a slight bias there.

Ok gotcha.

He still cheated.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10157052000806527&id=48807126526

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Pandanaut posted:

The Masters has been postponed.

Right move but drat, wondering when it’ll happen.

Also, completely inconsequential, but given the small blooming window of Azaleas, it's going to look weird when it finally does happnen!

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Daric posted:

Another good option is the Old Navy GoDry Performance Pants: https://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?pid=435081&ak_t=775A414202682F41BDA03F434E3E207317D8379E704700002984085FE939863D#pdp-page-content

They're stretchy and breathable, look like regular chinos, and can be had for super cheap if you wait for deals.

Also, we're all clear that it's "playing golf" not "golfing" right? You don't say "I was basketballing the other day"

Thanks for this! They're $24 right now so I bought a couple

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

BCRock posted:

That's a pretty decent and easily understandable summary they put together. What's really impressive is that basically every rule change the USGA made was a clear improvement over the previous rule.

This is the one that I somehow missed when the rule change went into effect and I just happened to be playing with a SCGA rules official yesterday who actually saw this happen during a competition recently:

Thank God for that rule. My "friend" is deffo gonna use it next time.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Shrapnig posted:

I wouldn’t say that when there are only 7 million people in the US that have HBO Max, it’s been an utter failure.

It was nearly 13 million in early december. It's climbing.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Daric posted:

Update on this:
Found a designer who is crushing every character I've thrown at him so as soon as the factories open back up on the 18th, I'll be ordering my first few sets. I set up an instagram account, a shopify site, and bought a domain so I can't wait to get products in hand and take some photos to share. The first character to be turned into a marker was always going to be inevitable:

I'm not going to promise it'll make half your 3 putts disappear but it can't hurt to try

I don't even play golf anymore but Imma buy a set

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

mattfl posted:

Woods was taken to Harbor-UCLA Medical Center by ambulance, where he was in serious condition and being treated for his injuries, the Fire Department said. His injuries included a shattered ankle and two leg fractures, one of which was compound, according to a source familiar with his treatment.

Ouch, he’s done for a while.

He's done competitively golfing forever. With enough work he could eventually golf again... Technically.

This recovery is going to be hell for someone with an addiction though. I'm more worried about his ability to come out of this sober than I am his ability to golf.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Keyser_Soze posted:

The Hyundai GV80 SUV did its job and saved Tiger's life despite the leg injuries. That's a :rip: 15+ years ago for sure I'd say.

Eh, I think that might be a little much. I mean it wasn't a fender bender but I've seen much worse on much older cars with less physical damage to the person. I think the position of the car made extraction difficult but it was like some unidentifiable mangled heal or anything.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Daric posted:

I didn't realize before I bought a couple that each can is actually half a bottle.

....and?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Daric posted:

Well I’d assumed that each one was only 1 glass before, so at $5 a can it didn’t seem worth it. Now that I realize they’re actually 2 glasses it makes more sense monetarily.

It’s kind of a strange story but last year on the No Laying Up forum at the very beginning of the pandemic we were looking for things to do and as it turns out one of our members is a level 3 sommelier (extremely advanced wine expert) and he started doing wine classes every week. I’ve always preferred wine to beer but even still, I learned a ton over the last year. And I learned that some of my preconceived notions were actually very wrong. Canned wine is great, screw tops are actually better than corks and don’t mean a wine is cheap, and there is nothing better for a hot, humid day than a very cold glass of Rosè.

I agree with all this. I was just making a joke about half a bottle per can sounding perfect to me

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Stat that just popped up in the Honda Classic - so far there has been 227 balls in the water during the tourney. Lol.

edit: 228

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Daric posted:

I’m finally launching my ballmarker business on Saturday but I figured I’d give y’all a sneak peek.

(This one always seems desaturated but it’s much brighter in person and on my phone)

The site is: https://villains.golf
Instagram is: https://instagram.com/villains.golf?igshid=u453mhczfvph

I’m very excited to get going. Gonna head out to the course tomorrow to take some more photos then launch at noon on Saturday. They turned out way better than I expected so I’m looking forward to getting some more designs going.

Killer stuff. Although is there an obstacle to selling IP like this? I never thought about it when you were originally were posting.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Daric posted:

We’ll find out. I only have 100 of each and I’m not making any more of each design so if I get a cease and desist I’m not out any significant amount of money.

But if you look at Etsy there’s thousands of enamel pins for every character you can imagine so I don’t think they’re going after everyone, especially not in such limited quantities.

Yeah, but man those look so good... that if things go well I'd look at expanding and getting some officially licensed poo poo! You have the resources and that could be a fun market to corner.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Daric posted:

I don’t want to self promote too much but I launched my site at 12 and immediately got 11 orders. It’s a very exciting day for me.

Just bought all 3!

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Douchebag posted:

Pretty sure we’re gonna need a special/limited edition goatse marker. Nothing would make me happier than when my friend asks me for a marker and I could toss him a goatse one.

A nice special high gloss finish on the ring so it twinkles in the sun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Got my villains in today. They're gorgeous as expected. I'm moving to Raleigh-Durham in a few months. Maybe there's some nice courses around there so I will have to pick the game back up.. I can't let these go unused.