Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Assless Chaps posted:

Awesome OP, Annakie! I'm at once incredibly excited and terribly sad for this season. But it seems like a great place to stop the show (although the end of last season ... or the episode where Ann and Chris left both seemed like good places, too), and now it won't go down in flames like The Office over its last few seasons.

Meh. Dude was boring. I completely and utterly forget he existed until somebody brings him up here.

The show even forgot about him when they had the boxes of Ann's exes.
A good episode to start a newbie with is Ron and Tammy part 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Macaluso posted:

I couldn't disagree more about this. You really need to get to know Ron's character before you see an episode completely breaking it apart. I mean, obviously he starts off the episode being normal Ron, but I feel you need his character built up over multiple episodes (or any of the characters really).

It's hard to suggest which episode is best for a newbie to experience first though. It's easy to say none of the first season, but less cause they're not very good episodes in general, and more just because the characters haven't been fully defined yet. It's not til season 2 that we really get Leslie developing out of Girl Michael Scott, Andy goes from rear end in a top hat boyfriend to loveable idiot, and the other characters are pretty rusty too.

Yeah but the episode you get the basics of a lot of characters. It shows the Ron Leslie relationship. It has Andy getting the shoe shine job and stop being an rear end in a top hat. It was the eighth episode in the second season so the characters were not that build up anyways.

Also yes this season is post timeskip.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

I've never heard anyone say Zantac in a genericized way, and it seems like it would be more in-character for those two to say something like "your heartburn pills" but I don't really feel like this is a hill I need to die on.

Yeah but the whole point was they were acting like adults.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

I really wonder where the rest of the season is going as they figured out the National Park situation that seemed to be the main plot.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Retail Slave posted:

Kind of makes me wonder about the moms in Pawnee that they're all a-ok with their kids traipsing all over town with some adult who the kids watch on TV.

They are safe as they have the buddy system!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

CommaToes posted:

The future jokes are all very funny. I like how they're doing this.

There was a bit of a swerve in attitudes between the two episodes though. It went from "Let's Take These Mothers Down" to "We Found A Prime Real Estate Opportunity For You And Did All The Work To Ensure It's Possible" pretty quickly.

The change was they lost the land and this was the only way for them to get it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

CommaToes posted:

Yeah, but the whole data mining/invasion of privacy thing was glossed over pretty quick.

If it wasn't for that then it would never have worked. They had a huge hit to their PR and got reminded that giving the land to the park service would help them. This might not be the end of the storyline, and they could still go to war.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

A Steampunk Gent posted:

I kinda wonder if they're gonna follow that up with an episode of the blowback of gentrification or something, they wrapped that up ridiculously quickly and the solution basically led straight in to another divisive land use issue

They said that it was only empty buildings, raccoons, and famous German directors.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Javid posted:

Leslie resorts to compromises as much or more than she just wins and gets her way. She gets really into the fight, but the fight is only to get what she wants; if she can get it without going to war with a company, she will. Unlike the show's antagonists, she doesn't need to see her opponents crushed, as long as her goals are met. It's pretty admirable. Pulling a compromise out of her rear end that pleases everyone is kind of her signature move at this point.

See also how she deals with Eagleton.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Then why was there a season 2?

It is on NBC

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

TheAngryDrunk posted:

It's still on NBC.

Yeah and they were desperate for anything that got decent ratings. They have gotten rid of its comedy Thursday block and have decided to allow Parks and Rec to have one more season.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

hcreight posted:

According to TV Guide there's only one new episode tonight, with a rerun of the season premiere at 8:30.

Yep as I guess the final episode is considered two episodes not just one extra long one.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

tin can made man posted:

No "the wedding might be/has been ruined by an insane accident or interaction" moment, which is outright miraculous for a sitcom. Instead, the writers found a way to make the even compelling without any shock moments.

The Tom/Lucy/Ron plot was predictable, though.

This show has had three weddings and only one sort of had that.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Mo0 posted:

I'm actually curious to know whether or not that was intentionally correct or if they just guessed and were right about it being rebooted. I don't know what the timing was on taping for that vs when that was announced.

Production was August 11, 2014 - December 12, 2014 and Twin Peaks was announced October 6, 2014.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Pakled posted:

We don't need any setup because his enthusiasm for puzzles was previously demonstrated in some episode in Season 3 or 4 or thereabouts. :colbert:

Operation Ann in season 4. Ron Swanson would also hate if Leslie sets up a puzzle for his birthday.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

I also do not think that it will be an actual funeral, just celebrating the deaths of April and Leslie's life in Pawnee. As there is two more episodes following it

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

whatever7 posted:

How old was Gary when he "retired" in season 3? The guy is pretty old now. And he worked 40 years for the government at the time?

69/17

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Tom has been in every episode except for Ms. Ludgate-Dwyer Goes to Washington, Pie-Mary, and The Johnny Karate Super Awesome Musical Explosion Show

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

The point about Tom's dreams were that they were silly and shallow, which was funny. It's disappointing to see the show taking them seriously and granting him an improbable level of success just because. I really liked the turning point last season when Tom dropped Jean-Ralphio and started taking Rent-A-Swag seriously, but having that epiphany shouldn't mean he's an overnight success in any business he tries his hand at from then on. This "everyone wins the lottery!" wrap-up they're doing with everyone undermines the characters they spent so many years building in a believable way.

They were shallow but Tom has shows growth when it comes to his desire to be a business owner. They showed how shallow and silly his current dreams were in Entertainment 720. Then came rent a swag and showed him growing up and having reasonable goals. It all came to ahead last season with Tom's Bistro and that led to where he is now.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Pick posted:

Three profitable restaurant locations in three years is definitely overnight, and feels like it unrealistically eclipses April and Andy's optimistic-but-grounded successes. Sure, Ron's getting huge contracts too, but it's his bread and butter, and he was hinted to be massively wealthy beforehand, and knew from the get-go how to put in the work. (Donna's a wildcard since she was never working because she actually had to.)

I am happier with them going fairytale-ending than pointlessly dark for "credibility" on a show that is so hopeful, but Tom seems an odd one out for the scope of his apparent success.

Three years and a town that exploded due to the merger. Remember 7ish years ago the entire town was going bankrupt, and now its a huge hub.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Fast Luck posted:

Tom acting as Andy's agent got Andy the intellectual rights to Johnny Karate so I guess he can start doing the show again in DC but I don't really think they'll show us that. I think this season actually has been pretty fun but instead of nitpicking that it takes a restaurant three years on average to start turning a profit, my question would be if we really needed to see two characters get married to people we don't really know

Lucy has been in and out for a while now. She first appeared in season 2, was in season 3, showed up at the massive party where it was shown they still cared for each other, and finally reconnect in season 7.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

The title of the thread is also oddly appropriate.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

old dog child posted:

What episode is it? I have 30 minutes for lunch... :)

Flu season

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

thexerox123 posted:

What does everyone think the odds are of getting appearances from Chris/Ann/Mark or some combination thereof for the finale? (Or even just mentions of them, at least.)

I remember reading before the season aired that the Nurse and Chris will appear. It would make sense for it to be in the last episode.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Joose Caboose posted:

Though many contenders I think that End of the World is my favorite Parks episode. All the Zorp/reasonablists, the culmination of Entertainment 720, and Andy's bucket list. Particularly, the moment that Andy and April walk out of the car and up the rim of the Grand Canyon may be my favorite moment of the show.

Where's all the faces of the presidents?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Last Chance posted:

You guys are really making me sad thinking about this show going away... :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NbBGrBxRhs

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

The best response to the best character.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZasP77J0yhE

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

whatever7 posted:

I heard people said s4 and s5 were not so good before I watch them. I thought they were quite good. I really like the whole run of Ben and Leslie getting marry for the stretch of 6-8? episodes. I like the whole run of Leslie running for councilwoman too.

What this series made error was IMO left the small town setting and the little people feeling in season 6. I really don't like the whole Tom making it big in the business subplot (never mind he is more successful in real life by basically playing Tom Haverford) I don't care about Leslie getting a big job in federal government either.

The one character whose "career" was handled well was Andy. He still get to do stupid dumb stuff everyday as Johnny Karate and you don't get the feeling he is a changed person.

I did not mind the Leslie getting a federal job as she could never remain where she was for the rest of her life. She is happy with her job, but even Ron said that she was going to outgrow the town at some point.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Whiz Palace posted:

I bought a bottle of Lagavulin for the finale.

Should have gotten Snake Juice.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Pakled posted:

So does NBC have anything worth watching at all after the end of Parks and Recreation?

Hannibal but that is in the summer.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

404GoonNotFound posted:

Wait... Animal Control didn't show up, did they?
We never got our chance to say goodbye :cry:

They live in the basement of city hall

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

kdrudy posted:

Good finale, though I would've liked to see a cameo from Mark in the last season at some point, would have been a nice callback.

He has been scrubbed from the show. They did not even mention him when they mentioned all of Ann's exes. Did they even show him during the outtakes?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Henchman of Santa posted:

Also 30 Rock. Also that appears to be the trajectory Hannibal is on. The NBC touch! (or was FNL on ABC?)

Sort of. It was on NBC for two seasons then moved to DirecTV

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Sleeveless posted:

I'm more interested in Nick Offerman's audition for The Office. I can't imagine him mugging at the camera as Jim or being as out of touch as Michael Scott.

Its just footage of him from Deadwood.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Phenotype posted:

That's fair. I did say that I enjoyed the finale and was glad everyone got a happy ending, but I think "indulgent" is a very good word for it, and I think they might have written a stronger ending by not literally spelling out that everyone maintained their warm happiness for the rest of their lives. Like, Bubbles gets to have dinner with his sister, but you don't see him as an old man surrounded by loving nieces and nephews on his deathbed. I think that's why fanfiction comes to mind -- I certainly give the P&R writing team all the credit they deserve, but "and they lived happily ever after for the rest of their lives in terrifying exactitude" is usually done by crap fan writers in love with their TV/manga husbands and waifus.

So the ending of Six Feet Under was fan fiction as it did the same as it showed the ultimate fates of all the main characters?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

I was doing a rewatch of Parks earlier this year along with watching House of Cards. Talk about a tonal whiplash.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

The best couple on TV.

I miss it

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I agree with all of these. Especially Newsradio. Newsradio is Basically Perfect, then Phil Hartman got murdered, and it became Almost Perfect. RIP Phil Hartman.

The season 5 finale is one of the hardest episodes I have ever seen

quote:

"Dear Matthew, I am dead. No matter what I may have told you about my secret plan, do not get on an airplane and fly around the world searching for me. Also, be assured that this is not just a further ruse to throw everyone off the track of my secret plan."

Matthew: "P.S., the crow flies at midnight."

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

BonoMan posted:

I can't believe the show would come back. Pretty much all of the cast has moved on to other shows so that's not realistic I wouldn't think.

Depending on their schedules it could work. A couple of cast members have shows that have already filmed or cancelled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

El Tortuga posted:

Jim O'Heir's entire career pre-Parks & Rec is one episode stints on dozens and dozens of shows. Aside from the long-term role he had on Strip Mall, an early 2000's Comedy Central series that was just too good for this cruel world.

It killed Strangers with Candy, and that show was too good for this world.

• Locked thread