Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Gringo Heisenberg posted:

OP your youtube playlist is missing the best climbing documentary:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hc2XJT9NP1E

What can go wrong? Oh gently caress I broke my leg on top of the mountain and now my friend needs to slowly lower me down bit by bit. Oh gently caress now it's storming. Oh gently caress now he lowered me over a ledge and we're stuck sitting like this cause he can't see cause the storm and doesn't know. Oh gently caress he cut the rope. Oh gently caress I've fallen into a deep crevasse and my friend thinks I'm dead and left. Oh gently caress my legs are messed up and I can't get up. Might as well go down further. Oh great I found the way out but now I have to crawl for (I think it was 2 days?) over a bunch of hidden crevasses.

A dude who fell into a crevasse 70 feet down but landed on a ledge and climbed out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZ4TWYoJIc8

Joe Simpson is a crevasse wanker

e: when i was 11 we went to canada and my dad decided it was a good idea to walk on glacier in a heatwave. I nearly slipped and fell into a crevasse

a pipe smoking dog fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Jan 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Rondette posted:

A pipe is an essential part of any Alpinists gear.

That story about George Mallory scaling an unclimbable cliff because he'd forgotten his pipe and no-one being able to figure out how he did it.

My grandma taught Mallory's children piano, though I think it was several years after he had died.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

I kind of like the believe he got to the top before he died because he comes off as the sort of person who would manage it, though I agree with Hillary that it isn't a success unless you can come back down (take that dead canadian lady).

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

illectro posted:

When I was skiing I talked with a lot of teenagers who wore helmets simply so they could attach a Go-Pro to it, one wonders whether the net effect of all those extra helmets will be to save lives, or to cause more injuries from kids showing off on camera.

Isn't Michael Schumachers coma a direct result of a go-pro fracturing his helmet when he hit a tree while skiing?

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Wasabi the J posted:

K2: Siren gave me a better sense of scale for the K2, so I understood re-watching The Summit that just to get from where the Americans were (Advanced Base Camp, approx. 5.4km elevation) and where a lot of the bodies were (8.2km elevation) would be a MASSIVE undertaking that I don't think anyone would fault you for not joining in on. You'd basically have to get up the shoulder, up most of the hazards, to the unstable Bottleneck, thereby doing 1/3 the mountain, just to try and rescue some probably dead dudes. The "easy" terrain on K2 is like, 45-55 degree slopes, which if you haven't seen, go to a freeway underpass and try to walk up the steepest inclines; don't forget to bring 60 lbs of poo poo in a bag with you!

A lot of The Summit recreated the "on the mountain" shots, which are good for immersion, but bad for perspective. This is what the serac above the Bottleneck looks like with some horizon in the shot:

I don't blame the guys that didn't go up one bit, and I am ASTONISHED by the dudes that did and actually rescued people.

This photo is amazing because you go from thinking "holy poo poo the serac is terrifying", to realizing that the slope of the mountain itself is almost vertical, to seeing the mountains in the distance and realizing how far there is to drop.

Why the gently caress would anyone climb that?

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

hailthefish posted:

It wouldn't surprise me if they've 'reopened' it knowing that the vast majority of permit holders won't be able to make another attempt if only so they don't get demands for another rollover next year.

Because they really do need the :10bux:

I would think that they've got grounds to refuse a rollover. I mean an earthquake that destroys part of your country is textbook frustration of the contract.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Plucky Brit posted:

Good interview. It's entertaining how much Scott is revered in Britain, in spite of everything mentioned in that article. What was really interesting was seeing the presentation on the two expeditions in a museum in Oslo: They were sympathetic to Scott but pointed out the numerous problems he created for himself, with Amundsen using tried and true methods and being far more successful because of it.

I think lately there has been a bit of a backlash against scott and shackleton has become the british antarctic explorer of choice, because he was more interested in getting people back alive than heroic death.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

If he's that close to a cliff edge shouldn't he already be roped up?

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

mik posted:

This is a pretty cool 70s adventure documentary about some bad rear end dudes kayaking down the Dudh Kosi on Everest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ju9g8GtJOAo

Haha that's crazy I just watched the summit and once I finished I was like "I wonder what the documentary about the guys kayaking through the himalayas was called, I want to watch that again"

Seriously it's a really good doc.

e: the youtube video is missing the amazing soundtrack by Tangerine Dream though :(

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

midnightclimax posted:

"heli-slung off the face"? What does that mean?

It's what they do in that second video picnic princess posted

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Nettle Soup posted:

http://www.lamrt.org.uk/incidents - Ambleside Mountain Rescue has reports going back to 1970, some of them are hillarious. I can't find it now but I remember one where they had to carry a woman all the way down and she refused to share her tunnocks with them despite their begging. When they got to the bottom she walked off.

Just some I picked off the first page I came to:

I doubt there is a person on earth who would willingly surrender a tunnocks

e: also I think if you live in Cumbria you have to make your own entertainment

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

These are fun to look through

Incident Report #71 1996 posted:

Sun, 10th November 1996, 12:50
A 54 year old woman put her foot down a hole and fractured her ankle in six places. Her initial location was given by a grid reference, the wrong way round, and described as "by a wall". I am informed that there are only 50,000 miles of walls in the Lakes, so this information really helped us pin-point the location.

Incident Report #51 1996 posted:

Tue, 30th July 1996, 21:35
This 21 year old man was bivi-ing out with his mate with a few cans of beer on a last bender before going into the Army, when he slipped in his trainers and fractured his ankle. Due to alcohol consumed the informant was unable to remember the location of his mate. "He was by a tree"??!! That narrowed it down a bit ! We eventually found him, by which time cold was numbing him in place of the alcohol. We did the business with his leg and carried him down.

Incident Report #19 1996 posted:

Thu, 11th April 1996, 15:30
Male, dodgy footwear, wet ground, slip, crack, floppy foot, morphine, kind words, swear words, splint, stretcher, cruel jokes, ambulance, hospital, you've heard the story before, you'll hear it again.

Incident Report #49 1994 posted:

Thu, 19th May 1994, 11:50
This Dutch lady slipped and fractured her ankle; and just to add complications she had high blood pressure, diabetes and shock. Don't you like the simple things in life? She was taken to Keswick Cottage Hospital.

and

Incident Report #15 1995 posted:

Tue, 21st February 1995, 03:43
Some incidents go down in Team Folklore. This one has become the "1 Olb. of potatoes" job. Once upon a time their were four adventurous young men who decided to go on an expedition. They packed their bags very full. They packed 10lb. of potatoes. They weren't going to go hungry on their expedition. They set off late in the day and made slow progress. (Remember, their bags were very heavy). As darkness fell they found themselves at 2000ft. on the side of Great Rigg Man. They put their tents up, and the wind took them down again, so they sat and shivered for an hour or so. Then, as the condition of two of them started to deteriorate, the other two descended to raise the alarm. This is where we join the story. It takes a few minutes at 03.43 to work out what that noise is. It's the pager going off! Get up, get dressed, get undressed and put clothes back on the right way round. Get car keys. Put shed key back and get car keys. Find car. Find Grasmere. Find two adventurous young clowns who had plans to bake their 10lb. of potatoes in a fire lit from wood collected from the fellside. They did have kitchen foil - it's a start! It hadn't occurred to them that they could have opened some of the dozen or so tins they were carrying and warm the contents on a stove. Anyway, we got them down, pointed out the error of their ways and took the p### quite a lot. Someone once asked "What does your wife say when you get called out in the middle of the night?". "Don't forget to lock the door", on the way out, and "Don't even think about touching me 'till you've warmed your hands," when you get back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Blacknose posted:

It's snowing pretty bad there at the moment. In June.

I'm almost certain that Britain has been plunged into eternal winter

• Locked thread