Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

These threads are my favorite ones of the year. It's fascinating to read all about something that I will absolutely never do, and the fates of people that do not have the appropriate fear of the cruelty of nature.

mookface posted:

The Canadian lady's story is hilarious.

http://www.cbc.ca/fifth/m/episodes/2012-2013/into-the-death-zone

Here is a link to a documentary about it. She was a loving idiot.

Link for non-mobile version:
http://www.cbc.ca/fifth/episodes/2012-2013/into-the-death-zone

raditts fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jan 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Axetrain posted:

I want to feel bad about that lady but she was just so dumb. Everyone tried to tell her this was stupid even on the ascent ,the professional climbers were like "Lady you have no oxygen left if you keep going you are seriously going to die!" , "My dreams will see me through this hardship" -Everest deathtoll +1

Yeah, I'm watching that CBC video now and man, she just had a death wish and there should've just been people that flat-out refused to take her up for her own stupid good.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Rondette posted:

Oh god, she took a huge picture of her in the yellow snowsuit to Everest :doh:

And hung out for over half an hour at the summit after her oxygen supply was dangerously low :doh:
Like I said... death wish. She was clearly driven by narcissism, and now she gets her ultimate wish as a frozen lump draped in a Canadian flag.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

SaltLick posted:

Trash and poo poo. It is the frozen Ganges

Corpses too.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The sign says "STOP" but the picture of the reaper says "c'mon guy, it's cool there's room for one more"

Mixed messages on that sign, man.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

canadianclassic posted:

This doesn't even look cool or interesting or fun

I started feeling claustrophobic just watching that.

Bishop posted:

ive done around 25 deeper than 200ft and a lot approaching that. Deep diving and cave diving are two somewhat separate things. You can deep dive or cave dive or both. In my experience a lot of cave dives are deep and long enough that we use mixed gas ( non air- oxygen nitrogen helium) mixes, and have to follow a decompression schedule, meaning you have to switch gasses and hang out at certain depths

My deepest dives are ocean: when I go deep I'm mainly worried about the narcotic effects of my various breathing gasses. If I'm dicing a rebreather I want to make sure it's properly maintaing a partial pressure of oxygen that won't make me have a seizure and die. I'm also worried about being able to launch a surface marker, which I have to attach to a 400+ ft reel and then inflate at depth. If your reel jams while it's heading to the surface you just have to let go or it's an elevator ride to hell

This reminds me of some of the stuff I read in a Choose Your Own Adventure book about deep-sea diving when I was a kid. Some of the ways you could die in that book were terrifying to 8-year-old me.

raditts fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jan 15, 2015

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

So speed-running mountains is a thing now?

Or in this case, speed-dying I guess.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Sydnesider posted:

Just finished watching The Summit on the 2008 K2 disaster. Highly recommended if you want to watch what happens to crazy peoplemountaineers who want to go to the DEATH ZONE on the mountain which has killed 1 in 4. Some amazingly fast deaths, one slip/mistake/icefall :darksouls: Summit fever, "Yes let's keep going up we'll reach the summit at sunset and get a nice picture of K2's shadow into China! Surely we can descend after dark it's perfect weather!" And if you stop to help someone you are just going to add to the tally.

Sweet, it's on Netflix. Between this and Touching the Void I guess will make this Everest Death Movie day.

Alan Smithee posted:

Esports is real sports

RealSportsTM

raditts fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Feb 24, 2015

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

No story about summiting the mountain could possibly top that.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

No, someone already thought of that.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I hope that guy is now a landmark. Posed just like that.
e: of course I am beaten on this, of course.

Picnic Princess posted:

As someone who came within inches of dying on a mountain I implore you PS wizards. I need this.

And I need the story behind this, you can't come into the official Death By Mountain thread and not tell the story of your near-death by mountain.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Beastie posted:

I read through the op and the thread but did I miss when the official start comes? Obviously these shitbirds are camped below poo poo-mountain already but when can we expect more popsicles?

Depends on when the Nepalese government gets their poo poo together re: climbing permits from last year carrying over.

edit: ...so, maybe soon I guess? But only if people come back with the same teams from last year, apparently.

http://www.ibtimes.com/nepal-renews-everest-permits-after-guides-deaths-caused-shutdown-1853496

quote:

Nepal said on Friday that it would allow mountaineers who were forced to abandon expeditions to Mount Everest when an avalanche incident led to the shutdown of the mountain in April last year. Ending months of uncertainty, the country said it will now allow the mountaineers to use their climbing permits until 2019.

The government will extend last year’s permits without charging new fees, Nepal’s tourism head Tulasi Gautam told the Associated Press (AP). The country has also cut climbing fees this year to $11,000 per climber from $25,000, AP reported.

Government officials have said they will accept the same permits again, but only if the expedition groups return with the same 39 teams for whom the permits had been issued. However, climbing groups said that organizing the same teams again on such short notice would be difficult.

raditts fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Mar 20, 2015

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Zeike posted:

lets go in

:wth: no no nonononononono

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Bhodi posted:

I find it really weird people freak out over that. The sky is over you and everything. Maybe I was made for spelunking and just found a new sport.

Tight spaces freak me the gently caress out. I think it's part of a natural thing most people have called "not wanting to die stuck in a hole."

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I... I don't think that guy posts here, man.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Rondette posted:

Sir Chris Bonington

This can't be a real name.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

nerdz posted:

How hilarious would it be if the bitcoin guy can't even manage to get to the base camp

If you die before you get to base camp, do they still leave your body where it falls?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/home/mountain-climber-heading-to-mount-everest-to-control-his-smart-home/

A solo climb without oxygen so you can test your smart home from the summit? Sure, why not.

Everest will be his new home, forever.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

:drat: :vince:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I skipped a few pages, so is this thread back to talking about mountain climbing / updates on stranded people yet or do some people still need to get their hand-wringing shame-on-you shitposting out of the way

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Nope

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

yep
you sure got my number

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

CommunistPancake posted:

he's the asian neil degrasse tyson

That's not a very nice thing to say about Neil DeGrasse Tyson.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Nicholas posted:

drat this was inspiring as hell

I know, right? I would almost do it if I weren't confident I'd be one of those few people to fall off something and die.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

elwood posted:

aaaand we are back:

This is practically encouraging suicide at this point, isn't it?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

What are the challenges of climbing outside the the season window, have people done it?

Freezing and/or being blown off the mountain by 100+mph winds I imagine are the main ones.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

ReagaNOMNOMicks posted:

Two earthquakes? Looks like an inside job.

Earthquakes can't melt frozen seracs.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

:holymoley:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

He had an impact on climbing... and on base jumping.

• Locked thread