Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:

Minrad posted:

I've been wanting to play around with and look at a 3D model of Everest to get a better sense of scale, but I didn't think to use Google Maps until today.

https://goo.gl/maps/D4ZCF

There's the link, if anyone else is interested.

What's up with that green snow? I'd guess it was just built from crappy photographs, but the green appears to be in striations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

Found this informative post (about body recovery) on an earlier thread, which is really worth reading.

That's pretty interesting. Westerners asking Sherpas to help with body removal is like asking them, "Hey, how much do I have to pay you to completely destroy your career and wreck all your relationships with friends and family?"

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

I Greyhound posted:

HBO's Real Sports is doing an episode on last year's climbing season. Airs Tuesday. Synopsis:

I wonder if other episodes of Real Sports will feel a bit sheepish after a serious story about climber's servants dying on a mountain. I hope the next one is about League of Legends.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

There should be an entire TV show that features nothing but a weekly hour of Brian Blessed shouting at mountains.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Holy gently caress that's a beautiful video. It needs to be watched full-screen.

Direct link.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

I'm voting two and a half men. Someone's gonna lose their legs.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

What the gently caress? I've hiked to places where we've had to literally poo poo into a bag and pack it out because high-altitude environments, especially near shales and other fossil beds, can be really fragile. In Antarctic islands, I believe longer expeditions would dehydrate their waste as well, and I was too afraid to ask how that's done.

I had to piss into bottles like a mental patient because piss could only be dumped in certain inconvenient areas. Every few days, you'd trudge down the mountain and do the piss-bottle walk of shame. Do you know how difficult it is to piss into pop bottles that you brought because you had no prior bottle-pissing experience? God drat let me tell you, there's a reason why the experienced guys had splurged for 3 liter wide-mouth canteens, because piss bottle blowback is a bitch.

Meanwhile at the "most sacred mountain on earth," people are building a literal mountain of trash, poo poo and poo.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

My favorite trail to nearly die on is a stretch of the Pacific Crest Trail in Washington State called the "Kendall Katwalk." Back in the 70s, some hilarious engineer decided to blast a ledge out of nearly vertical rock as part of a PCT renovation project and probably as a show of force to to teach nature a lesson.

It's not actually that dangerous, but it'll give you vertigo, especially because it's one of the more popular PCT sections and passing people on the catwalk is trusting a stranger with your life. Not to mention that dogs and horses are allowed. I can't imagine passing a pack horse on the ledge. People snowshoe the route in winter too, and I assume that's because people in Washington get suicidal in winter.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Bitcoin guy is gonna be the first dude to die from overheating on Everest.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Paramemetic posted:

Okay this is true, I did say "almost" for a reason, but yes they can of course have edema as well. It is much less frequent, however, and my understanding is it usually involves other things like alcohol.

I stand corrected though.

Alcohol increases odds of brain swelling, but I seem to remember that it counter-intuitively reduces swelling if administered after the trauma. Like this was some frontier medicine poo poo.

Or it could be just a silly excuse that alcoholic camp doctors used to explain why they need those jugs of booze hauled in.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

I know it's the Daily Mail, but apparently there's a 34 member Indian army garbage removal expedition going on:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/indiahom...t-climbers.html

It is in honor of the first Indian summit, half a century ago. It's a funny commentary on the state of Everest when a time of pride for an achievement is marked by hauling away the crapheaps of garbage left by wealthy white people. It's like Futurama's episode about the lovely amusement park on the moon.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

onemanlan posted:

Oops! Thought I scrolled to check. Oh well. The clean up seems like a pretty daunting task for that few people to undertake. I wonder if they're serious about clearing bodies or if it's mostly just rubbish/tanks/etc. Will they treat prayer flags as trash?

Well after last year, they're obviously not working.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

I just saw The Summit on Netflix and feel like I just watched a snuff film.

Apparently, the most recent 20 or so fatalities were all at or around that loving bottleneck with the overhanging serac. Just look at that thing:

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

ZombieLenin posted:

Actually my understanding is that Kodak scientists have studied the possibility of developing film from 1924 found on Everest and concluded it should be possible.

That makes sense because they just developed negatives from Antarctica 100 years ago, taken during the Shackleton expedition. Here's one:

See them all here:
http://www.nzaht.org/AHT/antarctic-photos/

I don't what dumbfuck decided that decade-old frozen negatives that were painstakingly resurrected should be put into low-quality flash galleries.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Marley Wants More posted:

Experience the unique culture, environment, and people of Tibet.

Like, the colorful prayer flags that will fly over your memorial cairn and the many Sherpas who will come to know you as "where you turn left".

We'll use a rusty nail and a random metal kitchen pan to create a memorial plaque.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

I wonder how many Sherpas are going to scram now. After last year's avalanche and now an earthquake. If I believed in a mountain god, I'd take these to be strong signs to get the gently caress away.

Next year, a boulder rolls through camp, crushing a few dozen. In 2017, lava.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

The big indian army cleanup crew is safe, apparently.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Everest base camp is reporting 2 dead at base camp. I don't know if they can reach camps 1 and 2 by radio or if they're still a mystery. Anyone got more info?

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

keevo posted:

So if the Ice Fall is destroyed, how do the people above it get back down?

Alpine style:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpine_style

...which is going to suck for any survivors who haven't set ropes in a while. Especially during aftershocks.

This is one distinguishing feature between K2 and Everest: K2's usual route pretty much requires fixed ropes. That's why the 2008 disaster took so many lives, because fixed lines were wiped out and climbers were unable to descend with just the equipment they had. For Everest, you could feasibly make it from peak to base camp with 8 pounds of rope, slowly.

But now you're talking about doing that during aftershocks.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

I guess camps 1 and 2 are okay. The glacier shifted and the big avalanche happened between base camp and the ice fall.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Reuters says 8 dead on everest.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Potrzebie posted:

8 dead at base camp.

Yeah, and their source is a tourism official, so it's almost certainly larger.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Traxus IV posted:

Wasn't this photo from last year?

Is it? It's from here:

https://twitter.com/blairensor/status/591896765994958849

That guy's a reporter. It would be a pretty lovely move if that was an image from last year.

Edit: And it was from last year. What a dick.

Meatwave fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Apr 25, 2015

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Check out the new lane dividers in Nepal

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Minrad posted:

I can only hope that the Earthquake causes the land around Everest to settle, and makes K2 the world's tallest mountain.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I hope Alan Arnette's okay. I think he was acclimatizing between Camp 1 and Camp 2 right about now, preparing for Lhotse in a few weeks. His blog is always the best annual reading on the Everest season and he had a nice Alzheimer's fundraiser going this year.

He did a really garbled audio recording after the earthquake and tweets have reported his team in particular is okay.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Twitter is weird for reporters because they used to privately talk to victims to get facts and photos so they could weave a narrative, but now they are assholes who publically yell at people to give them pics of dead bodies.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Chappers posted:

I posted this in the last Everest thread, and it was closed thirty minutes later.

I don't know if I will ever get to base camp, but so far, this is the closest I have been. Kathmandu-Lhasa flight (get the left window seat!) The view the whole flight is amazing. Taken two years ago tomorrow, back when the big Everest news was about the guides getting into a fight with Sherpas. Innocent times those were.

That's an amazing picture. Do you have it in a bigger size?

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Levitate posted:

gently caress that you can pay $15 for the permit and walk up the trail yourself without paying some rear end in a top hat to carry your gear. Goddamn what a waste of money it'd be to pay $1000 for Whitney

Yeah, in summer (if you win the permit lottery). That $1000 is for a guided snow climb, which is a different story. It's about as difficult as Rainier.

Meatwave fucked around with this message at 02:20 on May 3, 2015

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Gringo Heisenberg posted:

Neat set of pictures from inside a crevasse:
http://www.antarcticglaciers.org/2012/12/down-into-the-dark/

I've been trying to find pictures of crevasse exploring but I guess it's too dangerous to be a thing.

Yeah gently caress sliding down into this deathhole.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

We're coming up on K2 season and Garrett Madison is making a bigger expedition this year. It looks like he's running another guided team, which is always an interesting situation for K2.

Last year, Alan Arnette climbed K2 with him, and the year before that was the 2013 K2 disaster. Here's Arnette's description of coming down K2 and nearly dying a dozen times.

It should be an interesting K2 season.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Pale Ale posted:

This quake very close to Everest base camp.

Yeah. Namche Bazar. I just fired up Google Earth. Looks like it's about 16 miles away from Everest.

Edit: Ah, USGS says 68km west of Namche Bazar. Still close.

Meatwave fucked around with this message at 08:42 on May 12, 2015

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Everest is 48.3 mi from the epicenter.

The previous quake's overlay:

It was downgraded to 7.3 and there was just a 6.3 aftershock

Meatwave fucked around with this message at 09:04 on May 12, 2015

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Default Settings posted:

"...but, but First Caucasian Male To Climb Mt. Everest During Two Earthquakes!"

I don't get this poo poo. Go climb Mt Saint Elias in Alaska. It's like our very own K2 because it's vertical, exposed, lacking a good route or really any route, and god awful lovely weather. It was first climbed by the guy for whom K2's Abruzzi Spur is named. Then nobody else climbed it for 50 loving years.

It's not that tall (18,008 ft), so you might not get HAPE, but it's an accomplishment. Few people climbed it. You could establish a route and have it named after you. And it's a mountain you can actually see from a cruise ship and point to in your elderly life and say "I climbed that monster," as opposed to some place way off in the middle of the Himalayas.

Edit: Hey, I just discovered there's a documentary about it on Netflix.

Meatwave fucked around with this message at 14:15 on May 12, 2015

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

God dammit now I only want to know more about geology. This is going to cut into my drinking and playing video games time.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

captainoblivious posted:

The Mount Saint Elias documentary was ok but man, the soundtrack was embarrassing.

Yeah, I just watched it too. They could have done a lot better with the story and the editing as well. It's a good example of why documentaries still need to be storyboarded.

For a climbing documentary, it's not that great. But in terms of ski flicks where lovely music and incoherent stories are the norm, it was par for the course I guess.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

But if I go there they'll quickly figure out that I'm actually an idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Can any of you guys recommend a few good documentaries on thru-hiking? I saw Mile... Mile and a Half on Netflix and that was okay.

• Locked thread