Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

midnightclimax posted:

That just makes me want to go there much harder. I have no diving experience, but what the hell.

I bet there's like a whole chest of pirate gold at the back of the cave, that sign is just trying to trick us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Feminition posted:

where do mountaineers go after they die?

mostly they just stay up there and become a landmark for other climbers

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Wasabi the J posted:

Also, if any geologists wanna chime in that'd be great: wasn't the Himalaya formed by India smashing into Asia really loving fast? Is this related?

All mountains are formed by some form plate tectonics, and in the case of the Himalayas you're exactly right, it's a collision of the Indian tectonic plate and the Eurasian plate. The earthquakes here were caused by the two plates shifting a bit. The Himalayas are very new, geologically speaking, and the two plates are constantly pushing against each other, making the area pretty seismically active. The Himalayas actually grow 5 mm a year, however erosion pretty much nullifies that.

Ape Has Killed Ape fucked around with this message at 14:31 on May 12, 2015

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Edit: quote is not edit

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

What if they erode far enough that it reveals a giant megalodon skeleton on the summit of some lesser mountain. Would that become the new tourist trap? I think I'd rather climb Megalodon Mountain than be the 40th white guy to jack off on Everest.

I don't think you're gonna find a megalodon skeleton anywhere. However since the Himalayas are made of limestone, and limestone is made of the shells and bones of tiny marine organisms, it wouldn't be entirely inaccurate to say that part of the mountain is a fossil.

Edit: I'm pretty sure that the summit is entirely limestone. The summit of Everest is built from trillions of dead sea critters.

Ape Has Killed Ape fucked around with this message at 14:53 on May 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

quote:

“There’s no way you can talk to their owners?” he asked Brice, apparently confusing the ethnic Sherpa employees with slaves or some form of property.

Please, take that man up the mountain.

And then leave him there.

• Locked thread