Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Arc-V is amazing and I really hope it doesn't fall flat on its face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Yeah, reading that summary it looks like I missed out on way too much, GX sounds like a loving ride. How does 5D compare?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

T-That poor guy just wanted to play some card games :(

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Just watched the latest Arc-V. I'm pretty disappointed Mieru didn't get to duel, since even though she's kind of annoying, I did really like her deck.

Also, I guess it technically still counts as dueling if you're holding cards, but I'm pretty sure that guy just beat the poo poo out of Yaiba. I totally expected the LDS trio to fade into obscurity, but I'm glad we get to see them interact with the cast.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

SpazmasterX posted:

Also does no one have the internet or a Duel Monsters wikia in Arc-V? I don't see how cards and things like specific summon methods can just be unknown. :v:

Unfortunately, the entire world of Arc-V is illiterate.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

paradoxGentleman posted:

The impression I got was that Rune-Eyes Pendulum Dragon appeared because of some magic medallion bullshit, the same way his monsters became Pendulum in the very first episode. Wheter thisis a better or worse explanation is up to you.
If anyone else is watching Arc-V, I'd love to hear your thoughts on it. Personally, I think it's incredibly well made, especially considering that at the end of the day it's meant to be a particularly complex commercial for a card game.

I still find it hard to believe I care about a loving Yugioh plot. The writing seems less awkward than I remember it being in the first series. Sure, it was really stupid and funny then, but it seemed less interesting in general. I guess it's because the Pharoah had to hold up the cast, and he didn't have a particularly interesting personality. This time around, you've got a pretty good cast of guys that all seem to matter.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

So something has been bugging me for a while, what exactly is the concept behind Synchro and XYZ? Like, with Fusion, the monsters are literally supposed to be fusing together to make one monster, but Synchro and XYZ both seem to be the exact same thing? Is it just two different names for what already existed in the game?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Well yeah, but that's the game mechanics, I meant more the concept in the context of the show. Is there any real logic as to what the two monsters are supposed to be doing, or is it just fusion without them admitting it?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

paradoxGentleman posted:

Not only Fusion, but also Synchro and XYZ, which is much more noteworthy as they are more commonly used; lots of deck mantain certain XYZ monsters in their Extra Deck just to deal with certain situations.

Seriously people, watch a couple of YGOpro duels on Youtube and try your hand at it. The game has changed but it's still fun.

e: And really, once you've wrapped your head around the new types of summon it's not that hard.

It just feels like there are way too many cards to try and make a decent deck. Having to read a million different cards just to get stuff that works together is too time consuming for me to just jump into.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Endorph posted:

one thing i have heard about arc-v: the female lead actually gets to duel

is this true or no

This takes a long while to actually get rolling though. I'd call Yuzu the second main character now, but for the first 28 episodes she gets annoyingly shafted.

Also Arc-V in general is legit good, and I can't believe I actually find a plot about card games actually interesting. I never really felt this way when I watched the series as a kid. Back then I just liked the game and found the show decent fun.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Reeeeeally hoping they cut it out with the memory business soon, concerning Masumi. I want to see her wreck some rear end.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

His two magician guys don't fit his deck them either, it's really odd. I was worried they would phase out the fun stuff in his deck, but other than his fusions, every other new monster fits fine. Haven't seen the hippos other than that one time though. I want the hippos, drat it.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Xoidanor posted:

Yup that's pretty much exactly how they operate when they get their setup, it's beautiful. :swoon:

I like how even the people on the show were asking when his turn would loving end.

Also, I'd rather Yuzu not look like an idiot tbh. She's got a connection to the music, but it's not her life. You could also say the same for Masumi, by the way.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Pretty sure Endorph meant Kaiba's design, which doesn't really make me think he uses much of anything.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I forsee Sora dueling Serena and losing again. I hope Sora gets to win eventually. :(

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Blaze Dragon posted:

Meanwhile Yuzu and Selena are voiced by the same person, which is more logical since they look the same (or so the series says...) and you'd expect them to sound the same too (though their VA gives Selena a rather deeper voice)

Yuzu and Selena look closer than Yuya and Yugo do. Hell, before they faded from Yuya's face into Yuto's, I didn't see it either.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Beef Waifu posted:

I'm up to 4 episodes of Arc-V and I love the designs of Stargazer and Timegazer magicians. Pendulum is a cool idea, but it seems really stupid in how much it can let you do, but hey I guess you actually need the cards to do it with first. I'm ready to see other people besides Yuya duel like Yuzu and Gongenzaka, but it's been fun so far.

If there's any real problem with Arc-V, it's this. Yuya is cool, but he hogs the spotlight for like, ever.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Onmi posted:

I will say that he's better than he looks, but more to the point, this is Yuzu's first interaction with the actual plot of Arc-V. Yuya will not become involved in this until the 30's he's in fact very good at dodging the plot.

I was sort of hoping they would never get around to actually telling him what the hell was going on.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I can rationalize it with the XYZ dimension guys all being cheating assholes. Yuto said Sawatari was weak for using underhanded tactics, but they do that poo poo constantly.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Blaze Dragon posted:

The LSD trio is there to job though. Not only the Shun duel, Yaiba getting beaten by Kachidoki and Hokuto getting carded off-screen by Selena make it absolutely clear that they're there less to create proper rivalries and more to show just how dangerous other people are.

Kind of sucks since I like them, but I seriously doubt they'll have a good win/loss record if they continue being used like this. \

The fact that Masumi has a reason to still exist as a character makes me hopeful she won't just be a jobber. Her two friends can just be backups, but drat it, I want Masumi to shine.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

What makes it worse is Ash took out both of them when literally nobody else in the entirety of Sinnoh, not even the other finalist, took out 1.

Actually he beat 2, he managed to knock Latios out with Pikachu by itself.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Red Suit posted:

So its pretty safe to say that Odd Eyes is getting Synchro and XYZ variants right? I just saw Rune Eyes and thought it lretty neat

I figured it would only be getting fusion, since Yuto and Yugo both have their own dragons, and he would just end up using those.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

They could always break their own rules, like they always do, and say you have to use Dark Rebelion as an overlay with Odd Eyes and say it's not a normal XYZ summon.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Honestly, I kind of like the idea that Fusion is a bit harder to pull off, but I don't really know if the game is balanced around that fact. With Synchro and XYZ it seems like the materials themselves matter very little, but you need to have them all on the field, while Fusion is more strict, but you can use them from your hand.

I really need to start playing this game again. I'm gonna go download that program people were suggesting.

Red Suit posted:

I just wish Yugi's deck was somewhat viable IRL.

Makes me wonder what they'll do with his deck in the movie. Maybe they'll make a bunch of new versions of all his old cards or something.

edit: Also, I think you should add a picture of Sora in his cute persona to the op, to show how drastic a change he went through.

Momomo fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Feb 17, 2015

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I'm betting there'll be some sort of breakoff from LDS and any named character from there will decide to go somewhere else. The school in general is full of evil assholes anyway, the acting headmaster took three students and wiped their memories for god's sake.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Blaze Dragon posted:

That said, Yugi's group all have serious importance and cool moments in the manga before card games take over the plot, so that's something to keep in mind. Following series...don't get that excuse. At least Arc-V is very clearly trying to not fall into this, with even the children trio being duelists themselves of some skill. Tatsuya hasn't had a duel yet, but they're very clearly setting up for him to take on Reira next, and considering how much build up there is to that I doubt it'll get skipped like Futoshi vs Reira was.

I find it really weird we didn't even see the two duels he supposedly had to get this far in the tournament. He was the focus of like, the third episode or something, and we haven't ever seen him do anything. Until they mentioned it like a few eps ago, I just assumed he wasn't actually in the tournament.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I always found Atem boring as poo poo when he wasn't killing people, which stopped happening after Duelist Kingdom. The only other series I've watched much of is Arc-V, and Yuya beats him by far.

I did just watch the first ep of GX though, and Jaden is really cool. I like when my protagonists are just in it for the fun, without being too stupid.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Going back to the days of GX is so quaint. Back when drawing a card wasn't even for show, and people only summoned a single monster a turn, sometimes without an effect, even.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

That's part of the reason I'm a bit put off of playing again. It feels like the entire battle phase is a waste of time, because the opponent probably has some way of stopping you every single time. I prefer instant win stuff anyway, though I have no idea how viable that even is these days (probably not at all).

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I meant stuff like Destiny Board and Final Countdown really, stuff that doesn't really care at all about life points. I used the former as a kid, but with everything the way it is, filling your entire spell/trap zone with that is probably asking for trouble.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

This episode was nonsense even by Yugioh standards.

GX is pretty good so far, Jaden is a good main character. The way he gets pretty much all of the duels (and uses the exact same cards) is kind of annoying though. I hear Alexis never gets to do anything, in particular, and that's really sad.

edit: seriously he starts every single duel by summing Elemental Hero Avian. I hope he gets some new guys soon.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

It was also the entirety of what Yuzu had to contribute to the show, and it made her look really stupid.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

So I'm to the point where the Shadow Riders start showing up, and this first rear end in a top hat uses Red Eyes. How is ol' Red Eyes these days? He was always a really lame Blue Eyes when I first got into the series, has he changed very much?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Endorph posted:

I guess if they're keeping all the Yu names the same it makes sense for his parents to have Japanese names too? It'd be weird for Shaun and Coco to have a kid named Yuya.

Yuya's an Egyptian name, but yeah.

Zuzu is the only weird one. I thought the point of her name was to show she's a psudo main character.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Haven't seen 5D, was Aki really built up like Yuzu? At this point in time, it seems like Yuzu's going to be the one spearheading any kind of advancement of the plot, since she's talking to Serena, and she's had an actual character development arc.

I just really don't want to see them gently caress this up. :( It's not that hard! Just have her do things!

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Yeah, Performipals are the best. If anything, Yuzu has the most boring deck since she only has a handful of monsters. I like the thing, but can she use something other than Bloom Diva for a change?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

"So we have a new character now. What kind of voice should we give him?"
"Christopher Walken."

This dub has some... interesting voice choices. Also, I'm glad whenever The Chazz gets to look cool. I don't usually like this kind of character but something about him just makes me root for him when he's not being an rear end in a top hat.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

What is the timing mechanic, exactly?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Slightly unrelated, but when do Pendulum cards go to the extra deck, exactly? I know for instance, if an opponent destroys them, but what if you tribute them or use them for Overlay effects?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

The idea of a "Pendulum Normal" card seems contradictory to me. Even if it's technically a normal card on the field, it can still do something other than just be a monster. It just doesn't feel right, is all.