Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Beef Waifu posted:

Alister (Amelda) hates Kaiba Corp. and wants to destroy it because when it was a weapons company they killed his brother in the crossfire.

The best thing about the dub version of this is that they cut his backstory flashback short, so there was a jump cut to his brother getting suddenly kidnapped by tanks in the split second he wasn't looking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Dabir posted:

A new showrunner took over, wrapped up all the plot stuff in season 2 as quickly as possible and then went full steam ahead with generic shonen bullshit 101. Carly didn't disappear, that's the worst bit, she became a waitress in Jack's favourite cafe where he drinks absurdly expensive coffee and every so often was called upon to swoon over him with the other waitress there.

The Crash Town arc was pretty cool though.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

AlternateNu posted:

Holy poo poo. That dubbed voice for Siegfried is loving atrocious. I haven't seen any YGO dubbed passed the first round of Battle City and now, I know I never will.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emQSCYz4TvE

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

forbidden lesbian posted:

everyone says that GX is stupid funny I mostly think it's just stupid stupid, tho the ones that are love letters to the original series were good to me.

I have no desire to see 5D's.

What about the crossover movie.

It's secretly a 5Ds movie.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

paradoxGentleman posted:

Seriously people, watch a couple of YGOpro duels on Youtube and try your hand at it. The game has changed but it's still fun.

e: And really, once you've wrapped your head around the new types of summon it's not that hard.

How representative is the one narrated by in-character Dan Green and Greg Abbey?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

mabels big day posted:

The third season of yugioh is not on netflix and that makes me angry.

All of it's been on Hulu since forever.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Yes.
Yes he will.
And you will be bored every minute of it.

You want more crazy Marik face.
You always want more crazy Marik face.

Please, I'm sure it will be both memorable and hilarious.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

ThermoPhysical posted:

No one's going to mention Yuya, Yuzu, Gongenzaka, and Shun's draws that are a loving spectacle to watch with glitter and everything? Yuzu's special draw even includes musical notes. Shun's draw is apparently so strong, it causes birds to fly away. :v:

You're arguing this about the series that shows off a guy going through enthusiastic card drawing exercises? That's obviously the result of hard work and lots of practice, god. :rolleyes:

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Dexie posted:

You want to watch a duel where one person draws their entire deck in one turn while the other person doesn't even get to play? Booooring.

There's already been duels won through basically exploiting loopholes in the rulebook, why not go whole hog.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

A Meat posted:

Unrelated, is ARC-V worth watching objectively, as opposed to just being way better than Zexal?

It's being directed by the same guy who did 5D's, so Zexal might not be the best fit for comparison. I never watched anything past the first episode of Zexal, but I'm enjoying Arc-V a lot, more than I think I did 5D's at the same point. I kind of regret getting into it this early, because it's a really good series to marathon, since there's little in the way of filler, and the overarching plot is actually really interesting but not one with a lot of resolution just yet, though part of it might just be because of anything to do with parallel universes being extremely my poo poo. Arc-V is also good about giving its recurring female characters a proper amount of focus, and they actually are proactive about working towards their own goals and to better themselves.

And it also sometimes has its own silly poo poo, like two guys using their duel disks like lightsabers or a trap in a war zone being a literal trap card.

Strange Quark fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jan 30, 2015

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Dabir posted:

My favourite bit about ZEXAL is how in Japanese it's pronounced ZEARU. The X is silent.

Pour one out for phonetics.

I'm still mad Signer is pronounced like sig-ner in Japanese and no one ever tried spelling it another way in the subs.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I got to say, watching the Memory World arc for the first time has never made me more desperate for someone to play a drat card game. It's pretty obvious the animation budget petered out, but good god are these Persona anime battles dull.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

ThermoPhysical posted:

New episode of ARC-V is pretty drat crazy. From NeoArkCradle's "MasterGhost":

Reiji is related to Leo by blood.

Are you sure about this? Because I didn't catch that at all, and I wouldn't say they look anything alike.

But more importantly, little Reiji apparently wore a sweater as part of his casual outfit. His dorky fashion sense is the best. :3:

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

ThermoPhysical posted:

That's not actually from me, it's from the original poster on the NeoArkCradle forums.

However, I'm pretty sure. Looks aren't much to go by though because there are several people in Yu-Gi-Oh that are blood related but don't look it.

That's true, but I didn't see it specifically getting confirmed in the specific episode. The most direct line about it is Reiji saying he's Akaba Leo's son, but that's basically the same thing as when he said that Leo is his father in earlier episodes. It's an old detail either way.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

paradoxGentleman posted:

Joey is pretty awesome, and that rear end in a top hat that forced him to wear a dog costume because he lost at his bullshit dice game is far more evil than Marik.

Nah, he lost to Duke in a regular card game. It's Yugi who had to play the dice one.

And Joey did agree to Duke's conditions in the first place, so it's kind of his own fault for being cocky.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

mabels big day posted:

I'm starting season 4 (completely skipped the bullshit filler last episode where they didn't even show joey vs yugi) and I hope i don't regret not skipping this

I bet you'd love the last episode of GX.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Can someone who watched Zexal put this gif in context for me?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Blaze Dragon posted:

Alito is beaten in a duel by Yuma and this causes him to stop liking Kotori and start liking Yuma because he really likes strong people (hell, his deck is based on boxing)

It's basically the first time we see that friendships with the Barian are possible (I mean, apart from the entirety of the series withShark, but that's a rather different situation), which to a point could be considered super important since the Barians not being evil and just being good people trapped in a stupid, senseless war is one of the things Zexal does really well.

It's also hilarious.

So... Worth watching Zexal for?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Dabir posted:

You don't have to. Stop. It's for your own good.

The thing that gets me about zexal, even just reading plot summaries on the wiki, is how loving stupid the whole metaplot is, even for Yugioh. The general rule I'm seeing in Yugioh is that the bits that have some connection to real world mythology (ancient Egyptian games, Atlantis, demons in the Nazca lines) are the good bits and the rest of it takes a left turn off the crazy cliff and nosedives into the rocks of awfulness (Virtual World, GX season 3, Yliaster, ALL OF ZEXAL). Arc-V seems to be kind of an exception, but arguably alternate dimensions are kind of like modern mythology.

I dunno, the ancient Egypt stuff in DM kind of sucked once you got to see it. The ancient shadow games were talked up at every opportunity, but once you actually got to there, there were no games at all. Everyone was just using the monsters as another tool of war. And because of the whole Bakura running a gamesmaster setup thing, on top of all that you never got to find out what actually happened thousands of years ago. Maybe the manga is more generous with the details, but from what I've read about it, it sure dropped the Duelist subtitle for a reason.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Wow. These new Pendulum cards are bullshit and the near one turn kills from this episode were incredibly lame. If there's one thing I dislike about Arc V it's how a lot of these kind of minor duels always have the unimportant guy instantly annihilate the protagonist without losing a life-point in order to make it into an underdog battle.The actual important duels tend to avoid this but it's still really annoying.

I disagree. I think they do a good job creating tension, especially because the fate of the world isn't tied to winning the tournament and losing a match here doesn't mean you're automatically knocked out. It's a filler duel sure, but the fact that Yuya could lose is enough to keep me invested.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

SyntheticPolygon posted:

To be fair though, doesn't Yugi only lose once not including Filler? And that's when Kaiba threatens to commit suicide if Yugi beats him. I don't think main protagonists lose in Yugioh, like ever.

I love how close the series came to self-referencing this in the Grand Championship arc in season 5, with Kaiba blowing off the villain's literally hacked super magic card/virus with total confidence in Yugi's protagonist abilities.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Eeevil posted:

So, just to be clear about whether or not we're actually arguing about anything here, do you actually think it was important to the show's narrative that they have Masumi get beaten before Yuzu got a rematch with her? Because I think it would be really easy to establish Shun as a strong duelist without him having to specifically beat Masumi, and I do genuinely think that jobbing someone out devalues them as a threat, even if that isn't the intent.

I think you're glossing over a second component here, that Masumi went out and challenged Shun because she cares enough about her professor and has the drive to try to avenge him. That Hokuto and Yaiba back her up show how close friends they all are. It's a duel that demonstrates more of the Xyz guys' strength and gives depth to the LDS kids' characters.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Beef Waifu posted:

Arc-V is up, get your computer ready for a million gifs.

Where's the principal exercising by drawing cards

VVV Gracias.

Strange Quark fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Feb 16, 2015

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Rigged Death Trap posted:

What new OP/ED? They've been the same since before Yuto disappeared.
Well there's an OP 2 ver.2 that shows a cutaway with Yuzu and Serena and more clearly shows Yuri's face.

Yeah, the OP changes a few times, and not all at once. There's also the scene from the Yuya vs. Sawatari duel getting replaced by a shot of Yuya and Yuto with their dragons.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
It'd be really dumb, but part of me hopes that they just leave everything in as is. The ultimate inside joke.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Destiny Draw is a literal game mechanic in the Tag Force games and it's great.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

NikkolasKing posted:

I think you're forgetting about the original series which was just as bad. Tea was just a piece of rear end that followed Yugi around..

Then again, I'm still baffled at why half the original cast of YGO even exists. Duke and Tristan were worthless.

Yugi would've never won that duel against Pegasus if it weren't for the support of his friends, excuse you. :colbert:

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Blaze Dragon posted:

Talking about that, you know who I really want to see in a duel? Shuzou. He was holding back against Yuya (something that was said on-screen) and the series has hinted pretty hard that he can use Fusion and Synchro (he doesn't teach Xyz because he's never done it, but he teaches Fusion and Synchro, which means he has done both). Plus we know he's skilled from Yoko's comments (that he could easily be a tournament player if he didn't care more for teaching). It'd be cool to see him BURN! HOTBLOODED!

He runs a Fire King deck in Tag Force, and his Garunix is the bane of my existence.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

paradoxGentleman posted:

It's even more bullshit when you consider She shouldn't have lost the duel, since Trapeze Magician'a effect should have protected her.

The spell card Dennis used swapped their monsters with the effect of the monster he traded over negated, so unless you're saying someone goofed in the subtitles, not really.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Asking Katsumi Ono to dial back on the dragons is probably asking too much.

Endorph posted:

atem is a pretty cool dude

yugi is boring as gently caress though

:agreed:

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I don't really expect much else from 13-year-olds.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

VJeff posted:

Hmmm.

Now the question is, did she make that herself or is LeoCorp already shilling Yuya merchandise.

If it's the latter, I think there's a lot of Neo New Sawatari pillows gathering dust somewhere.

I don't think anyone remembers the names Sawatari makes up on the spot other than him and his posse. Plus he kind of has a reputation as a dork within his own school if the LDS kids are anything to go by. :v:

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Carlosologist posted:

As someone who was super into Yu-Gi-Oh and the card game back in the day (like the only rules I'm really familiar with are GX ones :v:), I'd like to get a better understanding of what exactly is happening. Are there any games out? I still play Tag Force from time to time whenever the itch to play arises

I've been liking the Arc V Tag Force Special game a lot. It's Japanese only and, being a 2015 PSP game, doesn't have a hope of being localized, but if you're an idiot like me patient enough, it shouldn't be too hard to look up what the cards you don't recognize do. It's got most of the newest cards, and is probably your best bet if Devpro doesn't have enough flashy graphics or anime shouting for you.

It also throws characters from every series at you, which is fun fanservice, even if the AI partner is pretty dumb sometimes. Please stop sacrificing your Blue-Eyes just summon another Blue-Eyes goddammit, Kaiba.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

TheKingofSprings posted:

Aki says you better loving believe it

Aki was a boring character as soon as she became part of the team. That ship might as well have been DOA even before Crow showed up.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yugo's first thought when he landed in the ice field was that he traveled through time to a distant future where humanity was wiped out. (I appreciate the 5D's nod, intentional or not.) He's the biggest idiot in this show and I love it. :allears:

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I can't believe they censored this but left that one guy in BBT untouched.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Why is Yuya's hair a slightly different colour?

That's just from the saturation in the dub's screenshots being slightly off overall.

e: Now that I think about it, wouldn't it have been easier to erase the mustache completely instead of replacing it with a caterpillar

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I know I ragged on Yugo last episode, but considering his flashbacks to Fusion attacking his dimension, he probably is an actual time-traveler and went after Yuto earlier because he thought he was Yuri.

Somewhat unrelated, I appreciate what Sawatari screentime I can get, but I still can't get over his weird, creepy chuckle.

Strange Quark fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Mar 17, 2015

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

VJeff posted:

2. Side-note, Yugo is amazing. He is just the coolest. He's all the best parts of Yusei and Jack combined and I love him so much.

Yugo breaking out the completely unnecessary bike stunts was the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

They... look exactly the same? :crossarms:

Is this going to be GX Kaiba all over again