Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

As bad as we were in 2014, we're probably going to be just as bad and possibly worse in 2015. The defense should be much improved with more experience and an influx of talent, but QB is a huge, scary question mark and thus it'll likely be the offense's turn to be useless. Our schedule is pretty rough, too.
Still can't wait for August, though. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Scarf posted:

Shots fired at SCAR's public health building... shelter in place ordered. Stay safe SC goons :\

Lots of rumors flying around right now, but nothing really confirmed. The police have closed off Assembly, College, and Park Streets. They also apparently believe the shooter is still in the building, so they've evacuated as much of it as they can, though the rest of the campus is in lockdown. This is horrific and surreal.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

We've had the same logo for pretty much all time, which is kind of lame and boring. However, there are these guys:

There's also the guy in my avatar, though I think he was just used in promo posters for the Clemson game.

I wish we'd had a strutting-rooster-in-sweater at some point. :smith:

e: Clemson's top hat tiger is totally insufferable.

RumbleFish fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Feb 11, 2015

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

DJExile posted:

I was looking up Auburn's staff, and drat I didn't know they had Surgeon To The Stars Dr. James Andrews on their staff. Neat.

Isn't he unofficially considered the team doctor for a bunch of schools? He did Lattimore's ACL surgeries for us.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Jeremor posted:

Last I heard, the interlocking SC logo was part of that Southern Cal lawsuit from years ago. Southern Cal won and the supreme court denied our appeal, so yeah, I'm not sure if we're really even supposed to be using it at all anymore. I think mostly we just can't really change it and try to use it as our primary logo in the future.

Which sucks pretty hard because it's an awesome logo.

As far as I know, we're still allowed to use it; we're just not the rights-holders, so we can't go after people for using our version of it. I don't understand why this became a thing, because I think both schools still share the copyright to "USC" and the logos are pretty distinct from each other, but whatever. I love the interlocking SC, but I like it being exclusive to the baseball team.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Events have always conspired so that I've never been able to attend our spring game, but I've never really gone out of my way to try and fit it in, either. I'm plenty fine with just watching it on TV or catching the replay later. Even in a football-starved state, I tend to get bored of spring games halfway through. At a certain point, it just stops resembling actual football (and with the way some teams set theirs up, it never does in the first place).

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Relentlessboredomm posted:

I'll believe Clemson reigning anything once the season is over. They'll just choke on some nothing team at the last second to blow their chances and that was when they still had Chad Morris. I have no idea how they'll look without him. I could see NCSU pulling some crazy bullshit to make it to the title game.

People are also forgetting that Clemson is losing a chunk of starters off that ferocious defense because many of them were upperclassmen. A healthy Deshaun Watson with last year's defense would be very hard to stop, but their defense will likely take a step back (even if it isn't a huge leap) and Watson has so far been pretty injury prone. There's also the whole no-more-Chad-Morris thing. Clemson is probably fine even with all that considered, but I think people are getting a little carried away just assuming they're going to dominate.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Crotch Bat posted:

South Carolina was not that bad last year and that win mattered a ton to Clemson. Losing 5 in a row to your rival is damaging in many aspects to a program, it was a big win for them regardless.

We weren't terrible, but our defense was historically bad. Like, one of the worst we've fielded in our program (which includes a couple winless and one-win seasons). Our offense kept our season afloat, to the extent that unit was actually historically excellent. But man, it's hard to overstate just how bad that defense was, because it ruined the hell out of that offense. Clemson beat our worst team in five years and that's (unironically) great for them, but unfortunately beating us doesn't mean a whole lot right now in the grand scheme of things.

Lest anyone think I'm being too harsh on Clemson because of my bias, I think we're going to be even worse this year and might struggle to make it to 6-6.

RumbleFish fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Feb 16, 2015

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

I'm excited about Heels vs. Dawgs, that could be fun. Makes me continue to wonder what SC has to do to get a spot in this game, though. It feels like the same four or five teams are always in it.

RumbleFish fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Feb 20, 2015

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Dattserberg posted:

As far as basketball is concerned I like giving the athlete the option to go pro after high school. If you decide to go to college, you're locked in for 3 years.

That's how college baseball operates and it seems fair enough. I think hockey has a similar policy, but I'm not aware of all the details.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

I love seeing Southern football stadiums covered in snow.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

South Carolina is definitely in for a heated quarterback battle that will no doubt extend into fall practice. Due to the defense being historically bad last year, garbage time pretty much didn't exist and we weren't able to get any of our backups meaningful experience behind Dylan Thompson. Connor Mitch is the natural heir apparent since he's the most talented QB on the roster, but there's ~*rumblings*~ that his work ethic is terrible, so who knows. After him, we've got a couple of walk-ons and Brendan Nosovitch, who was actually moved to TE last year to get some more playing time and almost transferred before getting shifted back to QB. He's got more game experience than anyone else, but kind of seems like a one-note Wildcat guy. There's also Lorenzo Nunez, a true freshman. Nunez has a lot of hype and is supposed to be a more physically gifted Connor Shaw, but he's quite raw and true freshmen tend to do poorly in Spurrier's offense unless they're someone like Marcus Lattimore or Alshon Jeffery.

Gonna be fun/terrifying to see how this all plays out.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Kim Jong Il posted:

Did South Carolina suffer for the confederate flag? Ole Miss for Col' Reb?

Until this season, it hurt our women's basketball team a lot because under the boycott's rules, we're not allowed to host any kind of postseason tournament in which the host cities are chosen by the NCAA. This doesn't apply to tournaments that use merit to determine host sites, so that's why baseball has always been able to host and now the women can, too.

However, we built our huge, fancy basketball arena in large part to host NCAA regionals and it'll literally never happen unless the boycott is dropped or the flag moves off statehouse grounds and into a museum. You can guess which is the more likely of these scenarios.

Anyway, I had only just moved to SC when the flag stuff went down, so I don't know how that affected football recruiting for USC/Clemson, if at all. Columbia certainly continues to hurt itself with it.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

JonathonSpectre posted:

Well , you see, it's really important that we continue to fly the banner of traitorous, slave-holding scum because

Heritage, not hate!!!

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Scarf posted:

What's hosed up is that when it was flying above the statehouse (underneath the US flag and state flag), it was actually naval banner (and army of Virginia flag) that gained popularity during the 1950s, pretty much as a hostile response to the civil rights movement.

The one that is now on the Confederate Monument on the state house grounds is at least a historically accurate flag that was actually used by the confederacy on a more common basis.

Do we have Klan version of :eng101: ?

It's also hilarious because the flag went from being so high up it was only sorta visible to basically being right smack dab in the middle of the front yard. Progress, South Carolina style.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Our schedule next year is pretty drat rough. I see 5-7/6-6 with a 7-5 ceiling -- maybe 8-4 if our new quarterback balls out and/or the defense makes huge strides. 2016 should be a much better season, but I'm afraid it'll get worse in the short term.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Jeremor posted:

Yeahhhh, I was joking about how worthless spring practice is and a little bit about how literally everything Ward said last spring was proven completely false. Truth is I'm an optimist too, I think all older gamecock fans are because you have to be to still come out and watch mediocrity for 20 years.

I think Mitch will surprise people. Our receivers are my biggest concern on offense, because I think our running game will still be dynamic enough. I like that they hired Travelle Warton as an OL "quality" coach, whatever the hell that is, because he was a great player. Think Hoke is actually going to be a good hire. Most encouraging thing I heard was that coaches were jumping on players when they screwed up, and telling them to get the hell up and run to the ball instead of walk off. I have this feeling that everybody is real pissed at how last year ended up and they're not going to let it happen again.

I don't disagree with some of the points y'all have made, but what's giving me pause is our schedule. We've got a neutral site game against UNC, and our away games are rough (at A&M, at Mizzou, at Tennessee, at Georgia). We're also hosting LSU and UCF, the latter of which we all know is not a slam dunk cupcake, even post-Bortles. It's gonna be a lot to ask with a new quarterback and new defensive scheme to go 11-2/9-4 against that. I'm painfully aware of how close we were to double-digit wins last season, but that was also a different (easier) schedule and there's been enough turnover on the roster and coaching staff that I don't think you can extrapolate too much from 2014.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

LeeMajors posted:

Ah, drat it. I missed this.

Dabo's the worst poo poo-talker I've ever seen.

HEY YOU loving HAYSEED---YOU CAN'T TALK poo poo ABOUT A TEAM WHEN YOU'RE A FROSTY 2-5 AGAINST THEM.

It's also kind of weird to basically admit to and brag about throwing an injured player out there. Don't get me wrong -- it's certainly embarrassing that we lost to a one-legged quarterback, but it shows the depths of Dabo's desperation as well. In any case, I'll let him and Clemson have their poo poo-talking; they're pent up after five years, and bragging rights are part of the deal.

In other news, the Duck Dynasty folks will no longer sponsor the Independence Bowl. We are the first and the last Duck Commanders. :911:

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Scarf posted:

Imagine that if, instead of Dylan Thompson sitting as an injured Connor Shaw's backup, you had Dondrial Pinkins... Pretty sure Spurdog would try to squeeze every ounce out of Shaw that he could.

We're still not really sure that Shaw is fully human and not some kind of football automaton, though, so he's probably not the best example.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Garnet helmets (can't believe these haven't come back at all since being retired, we wore them for quite a while and during some of our best years):

Diamond endzones (couldn't find a bigger pic, unfortunately, but they were gorgeous):

I can't find any photos of it in action, but I'm pretty sure we used to have helmet stickers that were spurs, similar to this logo:

I'd be totally fine with these being one-time or just occasional things. I'd love to at least see the black background in the diamond-style endzones on a regular basis, but apparently that's too harsh on our grass, so I get it.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

I'm honestly surprised he hasn't transferred at this point. UGA's roster is constantly overflowing with blue-chip RBs and even if he's totally healthy again, he was never the featured back, so it's hard to see him getting a ton of snaps again. He'd probably start at most other schools or at least figure prominently in the gameplan.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

One of our reserve DEs, Devin Washington, is going to take a medical hardship to end his career after suffering a nasty concussion a couple years ago and never really being able to play since. Apparently even now, he's still dealing with bad headaches. :smith: Glad he's making the right decision for his health.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

I don't have a speck of orange in my wardrobe and it's probably at least partially motivated by Clemson, but it's also just a real bad color in general. Texas' burnt shade is the only one I come close to liking.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Scarf posted:

I get to go to the spring game this weekend to help tide me over :dance:

Speaking of, students are picking the winner of the game via dropping votes by the mannequins at the library on campus.

Midriffs :allears:

I'm going to our spring game this weekend as well and I'm unreasonably excited about it! I haven't been since I graduated, and only went once when I was in school. This should be a more interesting and informative scrimmage than they've been in recent years, given our quarterback situation.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

So Coastal Carolina has a teal field now.

:stare:

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Spiritus Nox posted:

TCU revealed some new Unis today and hooooo boy.

The middle one's fine, albeit barely a change from their usual whites, but goddamn the camo pattern on the other two is baaaaaad. Reminds me of some of the godawful poo poo Adidas put on Baylor Basketball a few years back.

I didn't think anything could get worse than our "battle grey" camo pants in 2012, but this has actually topped it.

Unfortunately, Under Armour is extremely proud of this pattern and not only puts it all over our merch, but our basketball teams and some of our Olympic sports wear it now as well.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

SC's spring game was a good time. Darius Rucker was the celebrity who caught our annual trick play touchdown, which was probably the most notable thing that happened. Connor Mitch wasn't flashy, but I'd say he's definitely QB1 and didn't do anything to screw that up. The battle for the backup spot should be really heated, especially when Lorenzo Nunez arrives in the fall, so that's something to keep an eye on. The only other standouts were Marquavis Lewis, who looks like he could be the Clowney-esque presence we were sorely missing on the DL last year, and Deebo Samuels, who is practically an Ace Sanders clone. Overall, the defense is definitely ahead of the offense at this stage, but I was happy from what I saw of how Hoke does things. Guys seemed much more aggressive and were flying around the ball instead of giving receivers 20-yard cushions before attempting an impotent arm tackle. We'll see how well that translates into actual games, but there were probably more "OHHHH" hits in that scrimmage than there were in the entirety of last season.

RumbleFish fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Apr 12, 2015

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Lou Holtz owned.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Army's redesign is pretty sharp, but I wish they'd brought back this guy:

They threw an unsportsmanlike conduct flag in ours when a walk-on WR held on to a catch after getting drilled between two defenders and spun the ball afterward. Let the dude have his moment, drat.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

College baseball owns, even though our current coach took the keys to a Ferrari and promptly ran it into the first brick wall he saw.

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Jim Delany just released a 12 page paper arguing for the ineligibility of freshman.

BOY HOWDY LET'S TRY AND SINK THIS CONFERENCE

The said thing is I've read the ACC and Pac-12 are supportive of this as well, though obviously not leading the charge like the Big Ten is.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

DJExile posted:

UNC has new uniforms, with argyle patterns on the collar and side of pants.

Thank god -- their uniforms for the past two years were atrocious with all that black. UNC jerseys are at their best when they're simple and classic. I've always loved their argyle, but it's admittedly a little weird seeing it in a non-basketball context. Regardless, great job by Nike.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

College of Charleston is going to become the first SC university to sell beer at athletic events. It'll never happen, primarily because the SEC at large prohibits it, but it'd be awesome if we followed suit.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

KKKLIP ART posted:

Gurley doing an AMA on Reddit. Nothing groundbreaking but seems like a nice guy.

Pretty cool -- he said our 2012 team was the hardest he played against and gave props to Clowney/Swearinger.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

I'm really happy for our drafted/UDFA guys. We really didn't have much NFL-caliber talent that was eligible for 2015, but still had three guys drafted and a couple more have been picked up as UDFAs (including Dylan Thompson, which is a surprise). San Francisco has a huge hard-on for our players -- Mike Davis and Busta Anderson will join Bruce Ellington as 49ers, while Thompson is one of their UDFAs.

Also, with 104 players drafted, Spurrier has the most of any active coach.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

JRizzle posted:

Until it mattered :smug:

So loving rage-inducing. Dude couldn't hit the broad side of a barn all game until that insane prayer.

I've certainly watched worse teams than the 2014 Gamecocks, but with the multiple mind-boggling meltdowns we had in the final minutes that blew huge leads, I don't think I've watched a more infuriating team in any sport.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Jeremor posted:

Those do look pretty good. I always thought Oregon's whole uniform deal was gaudy as gently caress, but I actually really like most of what Nike does with their uniforms. It's pretty cool how they can have so many alternates just by swapping a few things around.

Actually really hoping we get out of our Under Armor deal after next year and maybe move to Nike too. Not likely, though.

Yeah, I'd love to escape Under Armour, but now that all of our sports are outfitted by them, I think it'd be a lot more difficult.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Everett Golson is transferring from Notre Dame.

Come back home to South Carolina, Everett.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Scarf posted:

With Golson being a loving interception machine, I'm all for this move.

I doubt it'll happen since we weren't interested enough to recruit him originally and Spurrier hasn't seemed keen on the idea of transfer quarterbacks, but given our current QB situation, it's possible.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

I will be surprised if Will Grier ends up being a star at Florida. Dude played practically 8-man football in high school.

MourningView posted:

Even when people thought he was good he wasn't anything special and he was downright awful last year.

Yeah, I'm not enamored with Golson, but our quarterback situation right now is a bunch of "Well, this guy SHOULD be good" conjecture paired with a walk-on and lightly recruited backup. I think we can win with Connor Mitch and I'm fine with standing pat, but there will definitely be some fans who want us to go hard after Golson. But again, this conversation is probably moot anyway as that's not how Spurrier has rolled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

That gator will never get old.

• Locked thread