Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

Tracula posted:

Jay Bauman has gone full David Lynch with these vlogs he's started doing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSh0z3h7R5E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLexMcEzkto

I love their contempt for the direction that YouTubers/internet personalities are moving towards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

e X posted:

Has it ever been a popular theory that the Machines are actually the good guys during the movies? Because I maintain that what they did was fundamentally a kindness,albeit a very costly one, at least from their perspective.

Well the series ended with the two sides reaching a truce and Colonel Sanders saying "We machines will honor this forever because its not in our programming to be able to break truces."

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

Hbomberguy posted:

Apart from refusing to take part in a reading of the film's actual content, you are mostly agreeing with me.

Although then you did try - but Khan in STID is never characterised as someone who loves power, but someone who loves his people. He will do anything to rescue them. He spends 99% of the story trying to rescue them or get them unthawed and 1% being so distraught by the idea they are dead that he suicide bombs a planet. He's in it because he feels attached to his 'family' - their actual goal of eradicating inferior life forms is treated as vestigial to this real motivation. If he were eradicating a species, he would be doing it 'for them.' Regardless, the point is someone (pre federation or not) created what they thought was a perfect human and it was jonny mcwhiteman. The eugenics wars are the result of the attempt to create people like Khan, the 'superior people'. It's a metaphor for Nazi idealism. Then, the same humanity that created khan created the federation. The Federation works better because it unites all humanity together and, in early canon, was literally communist. The remakes question this early ideal - what if we fail to escape the ideology that made us do all that bullshit? Hence the plot being mostly about trying to start a war with the Klingons.

It's easy to be cynical and say it's all bean counters, but re-appropriating a piece of art's (racist?) imagery as part of a rhetoric against systemic oppression is good. It's important to recognise that the solution to the problems we actually face are inherent in the ways we retell them in fiction. The People - Khan, Kirk, Uhura, Spock, the redshirts, civs, everyone - should unite and collectively alter the nature of the Federation itself to suit all - or even destroy it and create a truly egalitarian society in its place together. Your alternative appears to be to call the people at the top racist and hope they start acting against their best interests in a system that trains them not to do that. What stops them from changing their minds? Is it so hard to imagine a system that doesn't have people at the top who can decide whether to solve racism or not?

Your 12th grade AP Lit teacher must have loved you

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

The Vosgian Beast posted:

NAViGaTR is amazing. This weird awkward old man engaging with videogames on a bizarre level is endlessly funny.

Play it loud in stereo, dude!

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"
No, don't put your paws up, you idiots

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

achillesforever6 posted:

I hope this means we will finally see Patton Oswalt on an episode of Best of the Worst/Half in the Bag

They should do a Best of the Worst with Patton Oswalt where the three movies are all movies that he appeared in

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

Wheat Loaf posted:

The bad guy's motivation is that he really, really wants to shag Princess Leia. His breath is an aphrodisiac.

His second in command is a blonde sex robot that looks exactly like a human

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"
Game Grumps had an...... interesting guest today. When I say who it is, it's going to sound like a joke, but its not. This person legitimately appeared on Game Grumps today

Rob Schneider.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"
drat you, YouTube recommendations. I watched ONE Chris Stuckman video because I wanted to see him embarrassingly apologize for his Batrman/Superman fan script disaster, stop recommending his other poo poo to me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

Wrageowrapper posted:

I've only ever seen one film set in the city where I live, Hobart Australia, and that film was some PoS scyfy channel crap.

Dude, there's a major motion picture out right now primarily set in Hobart Australia, it's nominated for a bunch of Oscars and stuff including Best Picture. It's called "Lion" with Dev Patel and Nicole Kidman.

• Locked thread