Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Junior Jr. posted:

There's a couple of people I know who've quit reviewing. JesuOtaku is done with anime reviews but she's still active on Twitter; and I don't think anyone noticed MarzGurl recently, not even CA, but she's reuploading her Blip videos, I archived some of them just before Blip shut down in case anyone forgot to save them, so I guess that's not a problem anymore...I'm only missing the Fubuki Arcade Gamer review but god knows if it'll ever come back.

I do have 3 of Mues's Blip videos though if anyone's interested. Okay I know he may not be CA-related, although he used to be part of 'Reviewtopia' so I guess there's that.
It sounds like Lindsay is basically done making 'reviews', but does videos on other things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

JonTron put out another Starcade video. And it still isn't loving Tie Fighter. He's been stalling on it, dammit.
I was surprised he did X-Wing since most people prefer Tie Fighter and the former is somewhat forgotten now.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I feel like Old Spoony would be the kind of person who would refund his Patreon supporters for not providing content.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I don't think Kojima ever figured out the proper length for cutscenes

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I think Phelan and Allison have stumbled upon another weird artifact of the 1990s like Plumbers Don't Wear Ties, except this isn't a videogame:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7MTJekiUeQ

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Benne posted:

Lindsay's dad succumbed to Parkinson's :(
I didn't know he was in that situation, but that's awful. Really bad way to go.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

RLM did an interview with their Twitter nemesis, Max Landis

http://redlettermedia.com/a-conversation-with-max-landis/

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Did Lupa give up on us here? Haven't seen her around recently.

And yes Spoony's fans will apparently pay him to do absolutely nothing

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Mr. Fowl posted:

Who are you, the Engagement Critic?
"I make offensive comments so you don't have to!"

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I'm not exactly enthused at this new movie considering all of the delays and script changes. Not to mention Pegg even saying that the studio wanted a draft from him that was 'less Star Trek-y'.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

CBS is making a new Star Trek series sometime in the future, but it is only going to be on US exclusive streaming services, because CBS is run by morons.
It's already been announced for release in Jan of 2017.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I believe he still posts here, so good for him.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

lornekates posted:

Okay, my tolerance for Google-bullshit-sorting is fairly low today. Can anyone post a rundown of WTF the "Fine Bros" drama is?
Apparently they got upset because Ellen did some kind of 'reaction video' segment for her show and they're claiming they own the concept? I think that's what happened.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Not sure if this is more or less ridiculous than Sony's attempt to trademark "Let's Play".

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

Well, that was enjoyable - better than the last film review he did. Hope we get some more this year....
Yeah it was better than most of them. I think because he legitimately likes Reb Brown stuff he has more fun with it, as opposed to when he reviews stuff he REALLY doesn't like.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

Found a new movie review channel called History Buffs. The guy takes a look at historical films and provides both historical context and an analysis of each film and how accurate they are. Quite interesting stuff.
Here's his review of one of the greatest battle movies ever made, Waterloo.
That guy used to be one of Spill.com's video game review people before they shut that down. His videos are very informative.

I've noticed that the RLM guys now post any clips from movie trailers inside one of their own video edit things so that I assume they don't get flagged for ID.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

That takes some balls to pull that crap, but then again people are still giving Spoony money for no content so what do I know

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/ShadowTodd/status/726214531186352128

(this in response to someone asking about Maker's promised website of his)

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

BigglesSWE posted:

Jontron! Yay! Reviewing a movie! Much yay!

There are two twists in this movie that really knocked the air out of me. Guess which ones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsWlKOwqlD4
:stare:

I love how the movie just throws those two things in there with no warning. Especially the Dom DeLuise part.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Jsor posted:

Um, does anyone know what that video game... con? Trade show? Glorified series of video game commercials? That was a horribly mismanaged trainwreck and one of the hosts just snarked at how badly put together it was the entire time? I think someone posted a video of it after someone mentioned Angry Joe once. I've been searching around for a while and can't find anything.

(E: Joe had nothing to do with it, they were making some kind of comparison I can't recall)
The Video Game Awards?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

New Half in the Bag: Picard vs. Chekov

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8K7xYuM2AYU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Any time you do the 'I refuse to watch a thing' you're being ridiculous. He's not some 15 year old either so he should know better.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Archer666 posted:

Dude's got a weird reason for not seeing it, but I respect his decision. The movie does look like poo poo and if he doesn't want to give money for it, then whatever.
How can he know if it's trash until he sees it? I agree that the trailers are not inspiring confidence, but at least see the thing instead of announcing that he is 'too good' to see it or whatever.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

TheMaestroso posted:

You can think Independence Day is bad, but I don't see how anyone can not have fun watching it.
It's basically a huge budget B movie and it's great.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Tracula posted:

http://redlettermedia.com/best-of-the-worst-plinketto-2/

Aaah gently caress you. Denise Crosby is really good on Ray Donovan these days.
Oh my god the Dom Deloise segment

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Cubey posted:

That first movie :catstare:
Geteven seemed pretty goddamn amazing with how awful it was. I mean that guy clearly just had some spare money lying around that he used to make an action movie starring himself (and he looks like he's 70). I feel bad for that Playboy model who got paid to do sex scenes with him, dear lord...

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Probably because even the studio doesn't give a drat about The Godfather Part III

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Cubey posted:

yeah i've said for a while that it'd be cool for todd to just do ohw episodes. they are way more interesting. his pop song reviews were better when poo poo like train and black eyed peas were still huge and putting out horrid garbage.
For some reason I thought he had done a lot more OHW's this year compared to straight Pop Song Reviews but it's only different by one. I think it's just because the contemporary songs he has done are pretty bland and forgettable.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Some interesting facts about this:

-The kid from Flight of the Navigator (who is in his 40s now) just pled guilty to bank robbery in Canada

-The main female lead and the main villain both had guest roles on ST:TNG (obviously Bakula starred in Star Trek Enterprise as well). Another actor (the one who is 7'4'') played the giant alien who fights Kirk on Rura Penthe in ST:VI and who gets punched in the nuts

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

He clearly must just have some fans who have a lot of extra income or something because I would think most people wouldn't want to fork over cash that is (supposedly) going towards actual work which has not been done.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I agree, if he legit has problems other than depression and that's the reason he can no longer do the stuff he's promising he'll do that's fine, but he needs to be clear about it. He could do a GoFundMe or whatever instead if that's what is needed.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Leal posted:

Its not degrading himself, its being honest to his fans. There is a world of difference between saying "I need monetary aid" and "I will perform labor for monetary incentive". He isn't on disability, he is conning people. Patreon isn't a government institution or a charity, its a store front. It explicitly says he is making silly videos, and if you donate a dollar you get exclusive posts, which his last post was June 2016, and for 5 bucks you get a thank you in his videos. The last video that had credits was back in May. Thats scamming, he is saying he is going to do things for money and isn't doing it. No amount of mental illnesses will change the fact he is scamming, and intentionally not coming out and admitting he retired while continuing to collect money from hopefuls that want him to create content, that is completely dishonest of him to do.

Really, how much more disgraced can the guy be coming out and being honest then he is taking money and not delivering the content people are paying for?
Right, and when I used to follow him on Twitter he was posting stuff almost 24/7, but still barely making videos at all. I assume he's still doing that.

It seems like whatever happened to him burned him out on his work and he just doesn't want to admit it since he likes the attention and of course wants to make his fans happy. But at this point he's producing no content yet still taking people's money.

The last videos I watched of his, and this also includes some of his later reviews, I get the impression that he's forcing himself to do it. It's a pretty major difference to when you look at his stuff from like 2008-2011 where he seems to be having fun as opposed to the more recent ones.

This kind of gig is difficult for producers long-term. You see it with something like AVGN where he clearly had to scale back the old stuff he used to do since he's not that age anymore, which conflicts a bit with what the fans want. He's only done 10 AVGN videos in 2 years now, although that doesn't include his movie. But it used to be like 2-3 videos a month for some time. We also saw it with Nostalgia Critic when Doug wanted to be done with the character but the fans weren't, and didn't get onboard with his new projects. So he ended up going back to it out of necessity.

FlamingLiberal fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Feb 5, 2017

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Jimbot posted:

God-tier Rich Evan's laugh within the first ten minutes.
I appreciated how in the last 10 minutes they stopped caring about the boring bad films and just made jokes about David Carradine's embarrassing death.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

You guys are all wrong, the true solution is to Ban All Anime

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Granted I have not seen Hollywood Cop, but the police chief's performance in Samurai Cop is very underrated. I saw that movie when Rifftrax did it live and that guy was chewing the scenery like I've never seen.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

SgtSteel91 posted:

I dunno how popular MovieBob is around here, but I kind of liked his fantasy recast of Spider-Man in the MCU with bringing back Tobi Maguire as Peter Parker and retroactively tying those Spider-Man movies into the MCU.
That seems like a terrible idea

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Honestly Tom Holland is easily the best Peter Parker so far. I would prefer to keep having him in that role.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yeah for some reason with TLoU a bunch of people did not get all of the hints that Joel was not a good person. They basically spelled it out for you at certain points.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The next Plinkett review is Lady Ghostbusters, so commence the hand-wringing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

There is a huge fanbase for those reviews.

I agree that they are probably not needed but they are something that supports the rest of their work so I will take that tradeoff

• Locked thread