Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
e:^^hahahah

Cucumber Quest is kid friendly and really good but let's not go too far into BSS territory. Webcomics are a huge sea but they're definitely more willing to take risks and try things than print comics, and things like patreon and kickstarter have been making it easier than ever for people to do proper print editions and for a select few even live off their comics. It's like the one part of comics that actually has any hope, really

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
My post was actually made independent of yours, but really, just more evidence that CQ is great

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
You can make a pretty legitimate case that the Matrix is part of the elite club of movies actually tarnished by their sequels, and it kind of made sense. One of the biggest selling points of the Matrix was this incredible world the first movie threw you into, but the sequels got so incredibly convoluted and explainy that it gets kind of harder to watch the first movie without all that baggage

it's like a more extreme version of the star wars prequels

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Benny the Snake posted:

I personally think that "Inception" did a better job than "The Matrix". Sure it's more convoluted, but it's that way by nature of the concept which is more complicated than "The Matrix". Dreams are much more complex than whatever an advanced program could come up with by default since dreams come from the brain which is the most advanced device in the world. That and "Inception" was free from the action movie fetishization that "The Matrix" had. No bullet time, no treanch coats, no sunglasses, no angst. I feel that Nolan's film is not only the better film, but it's the film that will age better.

I guess? They're only barely even in the same genre, if at all. Two very different types of movie

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Echo Chamber posted:

I still hold my belief that The Second Renaissance from The Animatrix was terrible for the same reason the sequels were awful: stupid world building on things few people cared about.

The best thing about The Second Renaissance was that Kids Next Door shot for shot remake of it

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
Games are trash, so let's get back to the topic at hand, online nerds critiquing trash pop culture

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Metal Loaf posted:

Serious question: can anyone explain to me what the appeal of PewDiePie is?

10-15 year olds, which represent a massive amount of youtube's userbase

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

High Warlord Zog posted:

The thing that puzzles me the most about PewDiePie and Smosh and Ray William Johnson and most of the big youtubers with a lot of followers in the 8-12 age bracket is that we haven't had the big thinkpiece and hashtag spawning conversation about how inappropriate their material is for the audience that they're targeting.

because in truth that's pretty much exactly what 8-12 year olds want and are like. It's like how the 10 year old kids in south park talk pretty close to how 10 year olds actually talk when there's no adults around

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
Once PDP stopped the rape jokes (and good on him for listening to people about that) he became a lot less objectionable, and just unappealing to a lot of people outside of his target age range

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Gyges posted:

Nobody cares who wins or who doesn't win the Grammys. Nobody cares who wins the Oscars either, but everyone loves to obsess over who didn't win/get nominated who obviously should.

I'd say Oscars are more culturally relevant than Grammys (and all the other big awards) but yeah, unless you wanna be a Jeopardy contestant it's mostly a sort of cultural white noise that you talk to people about when there's nothing else going on

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

This is good insight into it, thanks for this

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
To be honest, alignment systems are sort of dumb since at best people ignore/reinvent them and at worst people use them as character building guides (or worse, the GM enforces them as character guides)

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Benny the Snake posted:

or John Cheese

Cheese is great as a motivational speaker for awkward teen dudes who have no idea what to do in life but drat if every single article isn't the exact same thing (aka Cracked dot com)

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
Yeah, I saw that too. Weird forums bullshit

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Rebochan posted:

Wow, he sold out of those OHW pledges fast.

Here's hoping he hits his milestone, his Top Ten Worst Hit Song of 1976 is still one of my favorite videos he's ever done.

The Top 10 Worst Hit Songs of 1942

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Tracula posted:

Obligatory joke about Robocop the entire cyberpunk genre having predicted how corporations would end up running everything :v:

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Gyges posted:

Unless you're crazy popular Patreon is probably going to beat ad revenue every day of the week. Especially if you're only somewhat or medium popular. My sister in law does youtube videos and gets a few hundred to a few thousand hits per video, with which gets her somewhere in the neighborhood of jack poo poo revenue wise. Her Patreon on the other hand pays her several hundred dollars a month.

With Patreon a couple hundred fans can far outstrip ad revenue from thousands of views. So unless you're getting super high views, and that's sustained from video to video, Machinima and other platform providers just can't compete. Of course if you're getting that many hits you can also open up a Patreon and get crazy money that way. Platform providers are becoming more and more useless as ad revenue falls and external support systems grow. Assuming they're large enough they probably do provide some level of protection from dickbag take down requests though.

For a fun look at the numbers, my YouTube videos have received 11,852 views in the last month, probably around half of them on monetized videos. Estimated revenue in that time: $3.88

I'm raking it in

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
And as an important aside, is there really anything wrong with analyzing the subtext and message of a movie? I get if it isn't your cup of tea but that's not really a reason to tell someone else not to do it. Even the blandest summer blockbuster is a reflection of the culture Hollywood tries to promote, the societal values they want to teach, and the values we as an audience want to see

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

They're racist because they don't hate another race? You're gonna have to explain that one because that doesn't make a lick of sense.

He's saying they're racist because they're perfectly happy to perpetuate a system that privileges one racial group over others. None of them would say "we cast Benedict Cumberpatch because he is white" but in practice "we cast Benedict Cumberbund because he's a big name star who will do well at the box office" has the exact same result: people of color don't get major rolls because they aren't "bankable stars"

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Puppy Time posted:

Why are you watching Daffy Duck Reviews then?

Because he's basically shaped and guided the growth of the internet review show as a media format?

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

PassTheRemote posted:

That's not a good thing. There are better review formats than Doug, yet it seems everyone wants to emulate him, and CA seems to want mostly NC clones.

I never said it was, but it's still important to recognize that he's an important figure in the growth of the format as a whole and shouldn't really be written off as "some gimmicky reviewer" even if that's basically what his videos amount to these days. If anything, it's hard to understand many of the conventions that have become the norm in the field without looking at Doug, and understanding why they did/didn't work for him is important for deciding if you want to include or leave out those elements, or even as a viewer for deciding if this other reviewer is just aping him badly or if the entire idea just doesn't seem to work

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Jay O posted:

Kind of? I get this in a "watching the origin" thing, I don't personally understand it in a "I continue to watch his stuff weekly even now" thing. Kinda like watching The Simpsons regularly now, but solely because of its relevance to the existence of animated comedies. Why not just watch Rick and Morty at that point? Or watch old episodes of The Simpsons you may have missed, on their own?

The metaphor is stretched, but you get what I mean, I hope. You don't watch things for cultural relevance purposes for that long, the purpose wears out long before then, and then it's just hundreds of episodes of wasted time. You either find NC to be funny or you don't, and watch based on that, I would think.

...If you're watching NC because you find him to be insightful, I don't really even. If you're just being introduced to the idea of media criticism sure, but if not, and you claim to be interested in the discipline, it's time to level up and read some more insightful critics whose goal is actual criticism and not entertainment of 13-year olds first.

That's definitely true. I was mostly thinking of it in the other direction, really. Yeah, he's unbearable now, and I haven't watched vids regularly in years, but that doesn't invalidate the better early stuff that was more... dude with good nerd charisma talks into a camera about a movie you probably haven't thought about in years. For how bad he is now it can be kinda hard to appreciate how he shaped the whole field, kind of in the same way as the Simpsons

Granted this is all getting kinda meta and my original response was probably to someone talking specifically about more recent episodes. I guess all I'm saying is Doug isn't totally worth writing off just because he's hard to watch now

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Scorched Spitz posted:

Speaking of Linkara, here he is demonstrating the batshit lunacy that goes into transferring the Pikachu from Pokemon Yellow to Emerald.

http://blip.tv/at4w/special-how-to-trade-gen-1-2-pokemon-into-gen-3-and-up-7162394

This was a really good watch and legitimately fascinating. I love how much work has gone into circumventing the hard cutoff between gens 2 and 3, which exists because they completely changed the underlying stats and how they were calculated.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
Alright this thread got real lovely real fast. Uhhh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLKZtppbm_Q

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Asuron posted:

You aren't trying very hard to find games that have good storytelling then. There are plenty with excellent storytelling.

Show me a game that has used rape as a subject so we can actually discuss this properly. The only game I can recall that ever used rape in the story was the Witcher 2 and it was used to show how terrible the person doing it was.

Historically speaking, rape in games is something games have used poorly, often to, as you said, make you hate a villain, give the player motivation, poo poo like that. When movies or books or anything else uses it in this way it is just as horrible, regardless of medium. Rape as characterization is Bad in most circumstances, especially because more often than not it's used to characterize the rapist, while the victim often exists solely to get raped

Games are still very young as a medium, and very commercially driven, so the AAA space will have absolutely no part in a game that will use rape as more than the equivalent of the villain shooting a dog, because hoo boy would that be impossible to sell. Something like you're looking for here can and likely does exist in the indie space, but indie games as a whole are still incredibly small and there's no real established way to get an indie game into the public eye beyond the fluke hits

It's not really so much that games can't talk about/include rape, just that the vast majority of titles are both unwilling to and unequipped to talk about them, and unlike movies, there's no platform for getting those who are more equipped to make games about them to actually get their games made/known

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
Yeah, rape in movies and books (especially fantasy) more often falls in the "vilifying the rapist" box than most others already. In a lot of ways it's more of a cultural thing than a video game thing specifically

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
yes and yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
Pretty much. Art created within a capitalist systems with capitalist motives (that is, most of it) is still art

• Locked thread