Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Ghostpilot posted:

Here's MikeJ's Informericalism along with his Patreon.

And here's another that's not already on the list, Cecil Trachenburg with Good Bad Flicks with accompanying Patreon.

I really love Mike J. That loving torture mask he reviewed one time is straight out of my nightmares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Arcsquad12 posted:

What's everyone's opinion on Bennett the Sage? He reviews schlock anime from the 90s and early 2000s, and occasionally dips into some weird sketch comedy. He can strike a good balance between letting terrible OVAs speak for themselves and actually having some quite insightful moments. Unfortunately, this can also be frustrating, when he's discussing a show you might want a more in depth look at, and instead he goes for the poop joke instead.

I like him but I sort of hate the whole running gag he has (had?) with Violence Jack. loving review it or don't.

Although I have to give him massive credit for making GBS threads all over NGE because I watched that a few months ago and goddamn I couldn't agree with him harder about all of his points.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
If I bitch about Josh Hadley again can I get another shout-out on Radio Drome?

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
I know this happened to Total Biscuit one time during his podcast. I think it was about 2 1/2 or 3 hours long and because he used a minute long trailer for Pokemon X/Y Nintendo managed to claim the entire video and only they made money off of it.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Genocyber posted:

He is such a giant baby :laffo:

Thank you for the opinion Genocyber. I know you need to browse other threads between telling everyone to git gud at Dark Souls.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Jay Bauman has gone full David Lynch with these vlogs he's started doing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSh0z3h7R5E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLexMcEzkto

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
I'm really gonna have to say [citation needed] on the whole complaints about midroll ads, that sounds like absolute bullshit from them.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Ronk a Donk posted:

And Todd's got his "Top Ten Worst Hit Songs of 2014" out! It's a two-parter. Part 1: http://blip.tv/todds-pop-song-reviews/the-top-ten-worst-hit-songs-of-2014-part-1-7142479

Just gonna bring this up from the last thread incase anyone forgot.

DStecks posted:

I am :toxx:ing myself that Shake it Off will be #1 on Todd's poo poo list. It completely fits his past #1 picks, in a specific way that no other song on the list does. Remember that Todd's #1 is never the actual worst song of the year, just the one that most closely fits his bizarre concept of ungood, or lets him make a point about how he feels about the artist. Shake It Off hits both options.

Uh, some bad news there I suppose :ohdear:

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

DeadBonesBrook posted:

I was just coming here to complain about Joe using other peoples clips and hardly doing any reviews this year, but then I read the comments to the video and people were talking about some run in he had with Youtube over doing game reviews. Can anyone here elaborate on this, as I couldn't find anything about it (or has he just got lazy with Twitch streams).

He's had a few rants about it. Most recently Nintendo claiming some footage he did and in the past I want to say Square Enix had him by the balls pretty bad as well. I can dig them up later but :effort:

Edit: Although he's done less reviews I'd say he's still been working though. I believe he streams games fairly often and since the popularity on doing that still hasn't peaked I don't blame him for maybe monetizing that over putting a ton of work into editing a review just to have it flagged for copyright.

Tracula fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jan 19, 2015

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

lornekates posted:

(And of course of course the only plot-important character lately has been Hyper Fan Girl. And I'll just leave my opinions about that one alone)

I actually wanna hear what you and/or other people think. I think you can do stuff like Douchey McNitpick or Hyper Fan Girl as one-off characters to sort of jab at the obsessive parts of the fanbase but when you make it a recurring character it just feels rather mean spirited to me.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Dumb/bad as all the EU stuff in anything after the first film was The Matrix really is a landmark picture and basically revolutionized special effects. Critique of it is good and important but I think it does get a bit of a bum rap to an extent because of everything else that came afterwards. While not exactly the same Highlander sort of went through the same wringer. The original move is really goddamn good and everything else went off a cliff.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Gyges posted:

The movie is literally about how doing this super fucks you up. I think there's one character who is present throughout the guy's tours who doesn't get killed, maimed, or appear to suffer from PTSD. This isn't a movie you come out of singing the Star Spangled Banner, unless you're, like, super hosed up. It at best will make you feel bad for all our soldiers who were wrecked by this. There's a guy literally missing his balls from the war.

I understand that the real guy this is based on is a lovely dude, but it's not like they made him look all that good in the movie. Tragic is the best you're going to come out of this thinking.

I still stand by saying that if you want to see one of the most hosed up war movies of all time watch Come and See but that's a bit of a topic for another thread, really. I think the thing is a lot of people have probably made up their mind about the film without even seeing it. I know my mother basically already has based on what Fox news told her to think about it :smith:

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

MonsieurChoc posted:

So yeah, the game they played is incidental, they were just a group of players who think killing a newbie on his first game is fun.

I've never played L5R but I can't even comprehend being this much of a dick to somebody for no reason really. If somehow I was ever in the position of the duelist and had to defend my ~honor~ or whatever I'd go for wooden or blunted swords at worst to maybe teach the offender a lesson, give him a scar of some sort, etc. Not just loving straight up murder a guy, especially if it's his first character in the setting.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Puppy Time posted:

Welcome to the world of tabletop gaming, where you're basically playing russian roulette every time you try a new group!

Roll 1D6 to test for shoot-yourself-in-the-head.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Jimbot posted:

Their best stream was when they had everyone over to play some Mario Kart because of the reactions but when it's just Rich and Jack playing FTL or Isaac for the hundreth time interacting with the chat, it's just a boring slog.

I missed this stream but I seem to remember in their review of Mario Kart 8 they said everyone hates played with Jack because he's so goddamn good nobody else has any fun at all.

senae posted:

most triple a games are mostly derivative trash and most indie titles are simple/small enough to ignore the derivative portions, and tend to have some piece of innovation or good design that overshadows the rest. hth.

I dunno, how many open world games are there with crafting elements these days? Or 8-bit styled platformers? Or roguelites? Just because something is derivative doesn't mean it's bad. I loved Darksiders for example and that was a mish-mash of God of War, Zelda, 40k and a few other things I'm forgetting.

Tracula fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jan 23, 2015

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Man is it still surreal to watch Half in the Bag and I know exactly where they filmed the opening shot. Hell, I go to that beach pretty often during the summer.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

DStecks posted:

Oh man, do you guys remember Revver? I just thought about it for the first time in forever, just now. I remember thinking how crazy it was that you could actually upload videos to a site and make money at that (not that I ever did, obviously).

Didn't everyone quit Revver because it ripped off all of its producers and kept the money for themselves?

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Make it won't take them seventeen loving takes or whatever per episode.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
I'm not even offended by Hatred. It just hits a point where it wraps around to being outright silly and as Cyron pointed out they really need to police things like mobile games and early access more than offensive content. I mean he has a point about games like Postal and Manhunt already being on the service. Not saying that I don't get people being offended by Hatred and whatnot but I just sorta don't really care. It's controversey for the sake of it and as soon as the game actually comes out it'll fade into obscurity pretty fast after being the top seller for a week or so.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
On a totally unrelated note.

There's a podcast that I think seems somewhat relevant to the interests of this thread called The Worst Idea of All Time. Basically two guys (with the occasional guest) watch Grownups 2 every week for a year. So yes, they watch it 52 times. They're coming to a close pretty soon but it's well worth listening to it from the very start and hearing their descent into madness from watching this Adam Sandler "comedy" so goddamn many times.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Cyron posted:

go put it on your twitter so your yesmen of fans can cheer you on.

:allears:

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Cyron, are you LordKat's secret parachute account he uses every time he gets drunk and can't type for poo poo? You can come clean.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
I remember someone had a really good idea for a Lawful Good paladin in a TG thread that somewhat boiled down to him being a lot more jolly and not the typical stick-up-the-rear end sort.

Tactical Bonnet posted:

I need more amazing art from the amazing people in this amazing thread:

I need fat, happy priests.

Like this fat laughing son of a bitch right here:

Only, you know, Fantasy style. I'm thinking of going another route with my paladin than previously. The idea of a fat paladin who just wants to have a good time (and make sure everyone else is having a good time) while he smites evil seems like it would be a lot of fun to play.

"Man those bandits are super dead. We should perform their funeral rights... with this bottle of blessed spirits."

Tactical Bonnet posted:

The DM made a statement about the monotheistic god of my paladin's religion actually being a good god who's followers are just basically trying to make the world a better place. My plan is basically to spin it into a priest who used to run an orphanage (basically a youth pastor), but for whatever reason (probably something to do with the holy war in the neighboring countries) decides he needs to take a "more active" role in the happenings of the world around him.

After all, a truly good god wouldn't care if priests were allowed to have fun as long as they continued to try and improve the world around them wile they did it.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I found this to be a very odd video to watch. It's probably Spoony's direct complaining to the viewer about them never wanting to play lawful characters. Like saying, "Why do YOU always complain about this??" and being lectured about why you are wrong for not doing this. I don't know, it just feels off but to be fair I don't really watch Spoony videos besides the few recommended in here so maybe that's just his style.

Spoony belittles his fans pretty often, it's nothing new.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

MonsieurChoc posted:

Angry Joe's controversy appears to have been taken down!

Welp.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Mischalaniouse posted:

The hell is "BroTeamPill?"

They're a youtube channel too and currently Joe and them are going back and forth on Twitter over what happened. They're mad because of this image apparently showing them in the pro GG side.

Edit: Thread title feels especially appropriate right now :v:

Tracula fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Jan 31, 2015

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
I was looking around a bit on Google for stuff with this currently drama bomb with Joe vs Broteam and I found this: http://angryjoesucks.blogspot.com/ . I figured that it woulda been updated 1-2 times every and been abandoned years ago but whoever is running this is loving obsessed with Joe to a rather creepy level :stare:

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
:ohdear: talking about crackeddotcom is a trigger for most goons.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
They're what got me to find out about The Worst Idea of All Time podcast as I previously mentioned so they get credit for that at least. They're like anything really. Some of their content is good, some isn't :shrug:. Some of their headlines are clickbaity as gently caress but pretty much every website does that these days so I can't complain too much.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Some of these are way too believable.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
I would like to give my thanks to 207-563-5532 for probating Cyron. While amusing he did wear thin after a while.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
That's really awesome. System Shock 2 is easily one of my favorite games ever and SF Debris always has great analysis.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
So uh Spoony has dipped below 5k on his Patreon. Does that mean the movie is off now?

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Jack Gladney posted:

Our taxes seem cheap, but they really only pay for drone strikes abroad and the ongoing privatization of our school and prison systems. Libraries are next.

Obligatory joke about Robocop having predicted how corporations would end up running everything :v:

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Holy poo poo. Just when I think MovieBob is the worst thing ever he somehow gets even shittier: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhYMAEBOR_4

The first six minutes of a twelve minute video are all dedicated to his awful skits and then he goes about making his point in the dumbest way possible. I like how he makes anyone who disagrees with his point the biggest dumbass strawman dudebro in every single video. I almost want to read his Super Mario Bro's 3 book just to see how much of a trainwreck it is.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

PassTheRemote posted:

She also does not get to fight the ice resistant metroids, the man will do that for her. She also does not get to fight the final boss, she aims at her, and then the men come and do the job for her.

Out of everything that pissed me off my first (and only) time through Other M that was the last straw. "Oh hey, there's a final level with some really interesting sounding enemies in it. Haha, gently caress you. The NPC you hate does it for you."

DoctorWhat posted:

No, Gunpei Yokoi was the creator of Metroid.

:rip: :smith:

Jimbot posted:

Sakamoto is a lot like George Lucas. He came up with the idea and people around him made something great but he got the credit. Other M is what happens when you give him full reign. A Miyamoto he is not.

I'd compare him to John Romero in that regard. The original Quake was loving amazing but when he did his own thing with Daikatana well...

Tracula fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Feb 13, 2015

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
How is Masters of Doom? I've heard of it before but I never got around to reading it.

:ninja: : Oh that's really cool, Wil Wheaton did an audio book for it.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
With Patreon being such a big thing I'm astonished Yahtzee hasn't gone independent like Jim Sterling did. I'm sure he'd do pretty drat good for himself.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Jimbot posted:

Speed Racer is one visually incredible film. The first time I saw the film I didn't much care for it besides the impeccable casting and visual effects but the second time around I really enjoyed it and each time I see it I like it even more.

I have a really hard time hating anything with John Goodman in it personally and my god did he elevate the gently caress out of that movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Yup.

• Locked thread