Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Anita's cool but Macintosh runs the twitter and he's an actual real-life Helen Lovejoy type.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

SA doesn't support HTML embeds OR WebMs. You might wanna clean that up.

efb

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Time Force was the best one.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Just FYI, Kyle, if you weren't aware:

The Galifreyan "conlang" you briefly featured in your video is based on exactly nothing and endorsed by nothing. No official piece of Doctor Who fiction has ever used a cogent constructed Gallifreyan language in any capacity. Literally all we have are some spoken/romanized nouns.

Just nitpicking, but I see people getting Circular Gallifreyan tatoos who don't actually know that the clock-gear-based notebook-margin doodles that they're getting injected into their flesh are less than 11 years old and have no consistent meaning.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Junior Jr. posted:

I suppose I can look back and laugh at Linkara's stupid attempt to get people to stop using AdBlock for his videos and calling Blip "his day job" because it just fired him yesterday.

But seriously is there no other place for reviewers to go other than YouTube? Not even Dailymotion?

Blip WAS his day job. And making video content still is, though now he's largely financed through Patreon.

God, internet babies got SO MAD at him over that. I still don't get it.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

my favorite part is the skull

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

after he upgraded to Super Saiyan.

how would we tell?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Outlook? in 2015?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Max Landis is a cool dude who's maybe too much in the spotlight but that's not really his fault.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Holy poo poo Dstecks, way to drop the goddamn mic.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

MacIntosh has the word "radical" in his twitter handle, and self-identifying as "(a) radical" is highly comorbid with being an insufferable jerkass.

That's true for a lot of adjectives, really, but to go further would involve me basically just regurgitating my nuanced positions on identity politics and self-determination and that would bore everyone to tears.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Man you can see Lewis trying his best to make a really good film while straining under the weight of his own continuity-based choices (not recasting his doppelgangers, following up on the TBF plot threads, etc.)

Lupa and the rest of the guest crew are putting in pretty solid performances and the script isn't half bad (when it isn't going heavier than the dialogue/cast can handle) but a lot of the characters who AREN'T Linkara TALK like Linkara/Lewis does, and it's especially notable with 90s Kid and Finevoice because, being Lewis, they don't have their own actors to adjust that.

I gotta say, though, that the scene of Linkara having the (so far fruitless) idea to try to revive Alan - the grin on his face - seemed genuine, from a character perspective, while also evoking the very Doctor Who-y EVERYBODY LIVES moments that I suspect inspired the plotpoint... which makes the failure, at least so far, all the more fascinating.

I will say this: Linkara's actually pretty dang accomplished/talented when it comes to facial expression/acting that balances believably with intentionality. No dull surprise or mismatched emotions. But some of his vocal performances undermine it, especially when the verbosity of his dialogue is at odds with his emotional state. Which is not infrequent.

Basically the script needed some punching-up by an editor, primarily for dialogue verisimilitude and cutting down on reiterated lines/words, Lewis needed to recast Finevoice and 90's Kid especially, and man oh man does it need more adventurous camerawork/blocking because boring shots go on for way too freakin' long.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Does anyone remember that archive of Blip/Critic's videos that was supposed to be A Thing?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

BWAVES OF STEEW

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

What did Jake do again?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Oh poo poo right. Yikes.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

e X posted:

Holy poo poo Kyle, holy poo poo!

not an emptyquote

though I have to say, I can no longer take Mars, Bringer of War at all seriously, thanks to The Venture Bros.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Beyond has Simon Pegg writing it, it's going to own.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Tracula posted:

To get in my own two cents one thing I always hated about the prequels that nobody ever addresses was the fact they give Yoda and Palpatine lightsabers. I just never thought of either of them as needing one since their power with the Force was great enough otherwise. Yoda tells Luke that size matters not and all that while in RotJ Palpatine is even dismissive of it as some "Jedi weapon."

Yoda should have just fought by using the force and throwing things around, for sure.

http://leodewijs.tumblr.com/post/137502524621/re-watching-the-star-wars-prequels-recently-i

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

and a pretty impeccable delivery of "kept you waiting, huh?", to his credit.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I don't think I've ever really despised an Internet Person as much as I despise LordKat at this moment.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

Counter point: LordKat's breakdown was entirely genuine but he has since got sucked back into his former attitudes/position once he realised he was alienating his fanbase and financially damaging himself. He has since cynically recast his apology as an act.

Question: Would that be even worse than deliberately trolling?

You know what? I wouldn't be surprised but I'd be even more furious.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Idea: Bravest is going off on a bizarre and distressing tilt over this BvS situation and is either genuinely incapable of understanding why someone might desire an alternative creative direction, or is just being willfully dense.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Now hold on, "not smart enough to Do Intentional Satire"?

Come on. Plenty of stupidly-concieved and poorly-concieved, not to mention morally repugnant, works of art are absolutely works of intentional satire.

Look at any given shitforbrains libertarian screed off of South Park. Indisputably satire, indisputably intentional, indisputably dumb.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Deport The Irish posted:

Nobody complained about splatoon aiming because you could turn off the gyroscope and use the joystick like god intended.

Twin sticks are the worst shooter control method ever devised and literally anything else is superior. Wii remote, gyro, anything.

And splatoon's gyro controls are spectacular.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Other M fails on every conceivable level to be a Metroid game.

Metroid games thrive in balancing power growth and agency as you take on a hostile, impersonal environment by acquiring and mastering traversal and combat abilities as you explore a contiguous, open space.

Other M explicitly restricts your powers rather than actually empowering you over time. Other M's world design is just hallways and setpieces, deigned without any of the naturalistic (often literal) stumbling blocks or opportunities for clever traversal.

Other M denies you the opportunity to master any systems of combat or resource management by effectively automating the run-and-gun gameplay. Metroid has rarely had great combat outside of boss fights and Prime's better encounters, but in Other M none of the Cool poo poo samus is shown doing via SenseMove feels earned.

I could go on for loving pages. I could write a book. As far as I'm concerned, it's not even the same genre of gameplay as any other Metroid game, even Fusion. It's more like an Uncharted, but with literally everything good about Uncharted-likes replaced with dog turds covered in burning napalm.

Other M is an abysmally bad game all around. Not a single one of its mechanics are good. People who praise its moment-to-moment gameplay are as fundamentally wrong as people who defend its storytelling.

It has no redeeming qualities.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Isn't that what Journey kinda was?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

LOOMS SUCK

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Hbomberguy posted:

A friend had to actively stop me from ending with 'Next time on Black Mirror: What if there was a twitter, but...for horses?'

Poor Freckles, thought of eggs and died.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

That happened for me when he retweeted comics about Zoe Quinn being sexually assaulted.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Archer666 posted:

Make Aquaman an Aquatwink.

https://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Episode-IV-Limited/dp/B000FQJAIW

So I guess we should be over it now, since the original trilogy were released like this.

those versions look like turd because they're non-anamorphic and look worse than the laserdisk.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Every character in Overwatch was designed by the horniest people in the industry (outside of WayForward) so good luck with that one, McIntosh.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

KayTee posted:

Here's a fun video by Guru Larry poking fun at Shigeru Miyamoto.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9GpCCZ6NAE

Please before anyone comments on the content of the video can you please tell me what game the music is from during the video's intro because I know it, It's a game know I played a lot and I'm in the loving memory pit and tearing my hair out please help me.

e: WAITWAITWAIT! Is it Street Racer? I think it's Street Racer. Please confirm. I'm gonna watch the rest of the video now.

All the stuff with Argonaut is total bullshit.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Takoluka posted:

as in messed up or fabricated?

Fabricated. I can't recall when/where I heard about it but I'd heard the rumor before and it was debunked.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

DKC 1-3 are ugly as poo poo and Yoshi's Island is the prettiest game on the system, so...

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I never played the DKCs on CRTs so maybe.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Actually I'm fairly certain Coruscant predates The Phantom Menace, it's from the EU novels originally.

That doesn't actually matter, I hope you understand.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Does Bruno Mars is gay?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

You're using in-universe rationale to attempt to refute an argument based in the real world. You look foolish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Augus posted:

Also, Ganondorf isn't black. His skin has a sickly green tone that doesn't exist in real life. The argument that it's racial coding is a weak one. The other Gerudos don't look like this, just him.

Cia's skin tone doesn't represent her being evil because Cia wasn't and isn't always evil but still looks the same.

Cia was designed by human beings to be a villain. Her design reflects that intent.

No piece of story detail will ever be worth anything in this kind of discussion. You're like one of those aliens from Galaxy Quest, treating Zelda as a "historical document".

EDIT:

thanks, watch this

• Locked thread