Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

MonsieurChoc posted:

Cinea Snob does his 20 best movies of 2014. I really need to get around to watching A Walk Among the Tombstones. I missed it in theatres, but it's probably out on dvd/blu-ray by now.

Aaaaaaaawwwww crap.

now there's like 15 more films on my 'poo poo I want to see' list.

(I went to the cinema like, 5 times last year. And two of those was Guardians of the Galaxy)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Gyges posted:

What exactly is the controversy around the American Sniper anyway? I saw Seth Rogan made a tweet and Sara Palin was being Sara Palin, but what's the actual controversy? Other than, you know, support R troop vs. cowardly not support R troop.

IIRC the guy in the movie is Captain America and John Wayne ' s lovechild. The guy IRL is a racist shitbag.

Also a bunch of guys saw the movie and all went "Yeah! Kill all Muslims! That movie rocks!".

Did you know that the favorite movie listed among EDL/BNP/National Front types over here is "This is England". This whole thing reminds me of that little factoid.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Gyges posted:

Weird, dude in the move was shown as a pretty big dick and an odd mix of naivete and racism. Like, the only time the guy is actually good is when he's pleading with the air for a kid not to pick up an RPG and about 5 minutes before the end when he tries to help wounded veterans. Otherwise the movie is pretty clear that he starts as kind of an rear end in a top hat with a 'Merica chip on his shoulder and is then given the super mellowing treatment of PTSD. They even directly parallel his actions with those of an Al Quada sniper throughout the film.

If you think the core audience for this film is going to see anything much beyond "Kill the forrins" then I've got some depressing news for you: Humans are poo poo and also dumb.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Infamous Sphere posted:

Wow, sounds like they really didn't understand This Is England. That movie didn't portray the racism as anything other than a bad thing, and had a pretty good contrast between the more moderate and racially diverse skinheads, and the full on neo-nazi styled skinheads.

To be fair: I suspect it's mostly just the title they like.

On the odd occasions you do get one of them who has actually watched the film and you get nuggets like this...

quote:

What, to you, symbolises Britain best?
Um, I'd say maybe St George's flag, partly because my favourite film is This Is England – it's about skinheads, but they're not really racist, because one of them is a black kid. They turn on him in the end, but because he was one of the gang they're not really racist. They just believe in what they believe in.

Also, FYI, Skinheads were music fans and alternate lifestyle types. The ones who use the image and run about seig-hailing are, officially, Boneheads. :pseudo: [1]

[1] Some old dude I got very drunk with one time.

KayTee fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jan 24, 2015

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
Do you know what I hate about D&D alignment? It's that everyone gets them wrong. :colbert:

quote:

It's really difficult for a DM to haul aside players and say "but your character wouldn't do/say that" every time the player acts out of character.

This should never happen because it's not what your alignment is for. Alignment is an after-taste of your characters actions, not a proscription of them. There are some races that have this after-taste pre-programmed in. If you're from the plane of Mechannus, you're gonna smell Lawful regardless of how much of a cheating, lying, traitorous rear end in a top hat you are. (Succubus Paladins exist. They count as all four alignments simultaneously :) )

Your alignment doesn't remove your characters ability to act against it - just that doing so will have an effect on how they 'ping' and consequences in the shape of how spells & magic items interact with them or in the case of (from 3e) Paladins, Bards, Monks, Druids and a few others, it might cause them to lose some class abilities.

Here's how it got explained to me and how I explain it to folks now in my games if Alignment ever comes up:

If a LG character chose to to poison a nun to save a city they would shift a step towards Evil, because poisoning a nun is an evil act, even though it's clearly the lesser of two evils - there's not 'good' solution to that (except for finding the rear end in a top hat who set it up and running it through with your +3 Kitana or whaever, but let's pretend that isn't an option here) . Depending on how many violations they've chalked up, or how specific or uptight their god (if any) is, or how important the nun was to her god, the characters suffix might shift to N or E. If the same character, in that same act, just broke their own 'non use of poisons and total non-killing of nuns' personal credo, their 'L' might shift to 'N' or 'C' depending on how hard and fast their credo dun got broke.

ninja edit:

Jsor posted:

Lawful characters get the opposite problem. They're wary of disorder and think that toppling a government will only lead to suffering. They'd prefer to try to lawfully change the leader, or remove inequity. In some ways, most people are inherently lawful. This doesn't necessarily mean they'll gleefully be an executioner just because the law says so, but it does mean that their first idea to reform the lovely military is probably going to be "put in a lot of years of effort to become a general and enact the reform from within."

Quick note to expand on this because I've seen it far too often. Obeying the local tribe's stone tablets of correct behaviour doesn't make you lawful - it's adherence to your own personal code.

I was in one infuriating group playing as a Paladin and I had a DM who flat out told me that my Paladin couldn't break into the bad guys house to smash his magic gem of fuckin' the city up because breaking and entering is against the law. Nope, my guy had to sit in the inn, BA Baraccus style, while the other players concocted a story on how they were going to go about that mission without letting on to me that they were doing crimes - because obviously the useless paladin would smite them all righteously the moment they did anything naughty.

Drow society (yeah, bringin' up Drow. Peak D&D nerdiness ahead) is ridiculously regimented with castes, houses, overly specific laws dealing with
overly specific violations, you must do X on a Sunday and you must do Y at Lolth's temple when your brother gets his (much deserved, stupid boy) beating and so on.

But Drow are chaotic. They play along with the rules and will adhere to them so long as they're being watched - even enforcing them so long as it benefits them. but you can be pretty drat sure every single one of them is planning how to murder the woman in the position above them so they can get a step up. Yes the Matriarch is all powerful and must be obeyed and here you go my lady, try this special wine I've made just for you. See - own personal credo - not the society, town, settlement or yurt you happen to be in at the time.

Alignments are dumb and no one does them right. But I like them. Alignment chat is like the gamergate of D&D. There. I said it. :can:

KayTee fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Jan 31, 2015

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
The Internet Critic Discussion Thread 3.0 - Carter did nothing wrong

VVV I wonder what the backlash was when he did the whole "the feminists aren't trying to take your hentai away you idiots" video last year? Could be that he just doesn't want to make himself a target. :shrug: VVV

KayTee fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jan 31, 2015

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Andrast posted:

That's just accurate to the source material. D&D has historically been really loving awful at anything regarding alignment.

Like I said. Everyone gets alignment wrong.

Cyron posted:

she was the first big name to pop up. I don't know crap about what happend with her and nash, but yes i can see how that can be taken as sexist.

oh do just gently caress off.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Jack Gladney posted:

Was Dick Tracy the last movie Warren Beatty was ever in?

Town & Country
http://imdb.com/rg/an_share/title/title/tt0141907/

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

BobbyK posted:

There was a really creepy one about Spoony that was obsessive in its detail.

Oh yeah. Does anyone have a link to the old Spoonywatch thread? :hurr:

KayTee fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jan 31, 2015

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Tracula posted:

An idiot.

I'm the guy who stares dead ahead while having a conversation with someone sat next to me.

There's a developmental psychology thingy I remember from way back before (stone) tablets.

A group of kids are sharing jokes, and one of them gets brave enough to try his own.

"Knock Knock"
"Whose there?"
"James"
James who?"
"James Bond!"
*laughter*

The kid doesn't understand how the joke works - but he understands the format. Meanwhile the other kids don't get it either, but they recognise the format, and know that the response is to laugh.

What I'm saying is Golden Axe.

And also an understanding of how things work.

And Moviebob's 'Antithinker' character is unintentionally spot on.

And. Seriously. What a loving idiot.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Slate Action posted:

if Linkara's skits were unironic,

:crossarms:

e:

PresidentBeard posted:

[Moviebob] appears to have no real friends.

:crossarms:

KayTee fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Feb 12, 2015

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Echo Chamber posted:

I purposely avoided MovieBob in everything except his movie reviews and Big Picture.

I guess that's the sign to stop watching those even.

Post/user combo

e: Keyboard get - content incoming.

I think someone in this thread or the old one nailed MovieBob pretty well a while back. His film reviews aren't too bad because at this point we're all pretty good at making them. We know how to pick at a film and how to present our findings, so even if you are as dumb as a bag of hammers you can still read a few issues of Empire and cobble together a reasonable facsimile. Game critique on the other hand is still pretty new, we're still figuring out how to read games and how to present said readings.

Someone sometime once told Moviebob what every art/literature/film/music student gets told when attempting their first critical reading: there's no wrong answer - so long as you can back up any claims you make. Thing is, Moviebob never moved much further past the 'demonstrate understanding' phase of that, so when he's presenting his arguments and evidence, it becomes staggeringly clear that the guy is a nitwit.

KayTee fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Feb 12, 2015

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
^^^

Wrageowrapper posted:

I don't know anything about games because I'm horrible but I thought Other M was the American version and people were upset because those filthy gaijin ruined a good series. Or have I mistaken that for Silent Hill/Resident Evil? Or all of the above? Anyway Sucker Punch is still a godawful movie.

Silent Hill was the awesome Japanese horror that we gaijin hosed up.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Wrong for several reasons.

The internet critic thread: Grammar, bitch.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Testekill posted:

Or like the Barbie doll stuff in Small Soldiers being fetish poo poo. It's a Joe Dante film, how can you not understand that he has bizarre and deranged poo poo in his films for the sake of it being deranged.

Because Small Soldiers is a film for kids?

I assume the dog in ID4 part is the whole 'Boomer will live' gag. It's been ages but all I remember is that it was a joke over an obviously ridiculous sequence involving a dog with plot armour. I don't see a problem with joking about that but I can't recall if he took it any further.

Regardless immortal action dogs arnt a problem with me. If you kill a dog in your film without a drat good reason you will lose me as an audience member. :colbert:

... dead pets make me cry.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Asuron posted:

Show me a game that has used rape as a subject so we can actually discuss this properly. The only game I can recall that ever used rape in the story was the Witcher 2 and it was used to show how terrible the person doing it was.

Most times it's used as 'Fridging' type character motivation, sure, but there's at least two examples that at least try to take rape seriously.

You actually have to go back a bit but Sierra's Phantasmogoria is a kinda-sorta retelling of The Shining with a pretty graphic marital rape sequence in it. It's buried in a game with some pretty goofy stuff in it but the scene is pretty drat gripping.

Also Ellen's story in 'I Have No Mouth...' revolves about her confronting a sexual assault she once endured. Again pretty drat gripping and, again, in a game filled with goofy poo poo.

Probably not the best examples, but I'll argue that I just dredged up two games that are nearly 30 years old that at least tried to deal with rape and the consequences of it in a far more mature and respectful way than most modern games.

horay i started a new page with this

and i said 'at least' at least 3 times because i shouldnt be posting as soon as ive woken up

KayTee fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Feb 22, 2015

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

quakster posted:

Does Spoony have enough to say about Carpenter's films to justify a series of videos? The person talking to the camera having things to say about the subject kinda pre-emptively determines whether an internet video is going to be any good.

Big Trouble in Little China is maximum Carpenter, btw. Highly recommended.
This is why he shouldn't review it IMHO. I don't doubt Spoony can talk bollocks for hours about Carpenter without having anything to back it up - that ability comes as read the moment you describe yourself as a 'Critic'/'reviewer' but there's other problems.

Spoony reviews lovely Red Brown/Bruno Matai films because he loves them ironically. He knows they're poo poo and that's why they're fun.

He loves BTiLC completely unironically as well he should. Same with Highlander. And when your best funnymaking noises appear when you're pointing out how crummy something is they won't work when you're doing it on something genuinely good.

This is why Linkara only does 'good' comics in the form or retrospectives and history lessons. You can't make with the funny with something good.

It's also why James Rolfe completely ditched the AVGN character. He wanted to share great things and you can't do that when your persona is a 6 - year old in an adult body whose memorised the Viz Dictionary.

BTW Linkara finished his covering on Rom: Spaceknight and it's great. (Also huge - wasn't expecting the two-parter) I think someone linked to it earlier and I can't right now because phone.
It
ee: Just remembered that Spoony did a great series of videos on the Ultima series that were extolling the games good points more often than not. They went all sorts of wrong when he got to the bad games, so kinda the complete opposite of all the crap I just wrote up there - but you could probably make an argument that these are two different things for several reasons (not least Spoony's own personal stake in the Ultima series)

tl;dr I think Spoony's better suited to being an angry ranty man than a fawning fan boy.

KayTee fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Feb 26, 2015

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

DeusExMachinima posted:

Any thoughts on Razorfist in this thread? He's a decently witty/smug/funny metalhead crossed with the early eras of Zero Punctuation and Nostalgia Critic imho.

KayTee in the last thread posted:

Kim Justice posted:

I'm pretty sure that the only thing you need to know about Razorfist is that him and Asalieri (of "Reviewing a Reviewer"/being a horrible shithead on the internet fame) are superfriends. He's awful.

I remember the two of them doing a wonder twin team up attempt during Spoonygeddon. It was dumb and sad and awful.

I only remember that specifically because Razorfist's name made me lol. It made me double lol when he turned out to be exactly the kind of guy, in appearance and manner, who would call themself 'Razorfist' and expect to be taken seriously.

e: VVV :3: VVV

Tracula in the last thread posted:

If I was ever trying to do a douchebag persona online as some youtube ranter rear end in a top hat I doubt I could do it as well in jest as xRazorfistx does genuinely.

KayTee fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Feb 27, 2015

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

MonsieurChoc posted:

My experience as a QA tester lead me to think that the problems is rarely the QA department itself as much as the head of the company deciding to go ahead with a buggy product knowingly. The amount of games I tested that were full of bugs that were simply "waived" or labelled "as designed" is too large to count, and "it's not a bug, it's a feature" as long become a running joke in tester circles.

This is basically what I assumed happened.

Going though the motions because thats whats expected but regardless the games going out on time and they can fix the bugs later if they feel like it.

gently caress Arkham: Origins. gently caress New Vegas.

e: holy poo poo, autocorrect - one of the few times I actually need you...

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Clip-On Fedora posted:

I checked Bennett the Sages website, and it looks like he is having some pretty serious medical problems. Does anyone know what that is about? I hope he gets better from whatever it is.

quote:

4 March:
Bennett The Sage @BennettTheSage
11,170 strides on the elliptical machine in one hour, including 6000 in 29 minutes and 4 seconds. I will get better.

quote:

I will get better because I am sick and tired of not being good enough.

5 March:

quote:

I just showered for half an hour, trying to alleviate my back and neck with hot water. Christ, Im in pain.

Stick at it, dude!

And good call on finally cutting your hair!

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Asuron posted:

Ughhh. I'm all for stopping the doxxing and stupid poo poo that's been going on during this whole thing, but man did I wish she would talk with someone other than Brianna. You don't want someone like her representing anything really.

Care to expand on this?

I'm seeing a politician reaching out to a constituent (high profile though she may be) and using her as an example of the consequences of lovely behaviour and the subsequent need to confront it. This sounds all-in-all like a good thing way overdue.

Why is Brianna a bad choice? Bearing in mind that literally all I know about her is that she is a target of a group of assholes.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
^^^ e: Thanks. ^^^

ee: Ugh that Archived reddit - for every post pointing out the problem there's three more hating on her purely for being a woman.

It's not hard too see how that environment could gently caress with your perspective. I could give her at least some leeway for that.

Kunster posted:

Given that they cheered Chris's Dad who was on the KKK and they had a section entirely devoted to the "monthly tugboat", this isn't exactly a big surprise.

Ehhh at the risk of gobbing off about poo poo I know nothing about - Pa Chandler being in the KKK was literally the cherry on the cake of how ridiculous and dysfunctional that family was/is rather than that being the reason for him being a fan favourite. And SJWs were a different beast back then too - I always assumed the term referred to 'end fursecution' or 'why I should have 'Sepheroth' listed on my birth certificate' type loonies and using it as a byword for feminist/woman with an opinion is a thing that only recently started happening.

Feel free to correct me. I was only a bemused observer at the time.

For the record I have always hated the treatment Chris-chan received - even before the utterly indefensible 'Bluespike' poo poo, and have never bought into the whole "well he's (CWC) a scumbag who does and says scumbag things so it's karma, bitch" excuse used by the folks on Cwicki. Chris would be a hell a less hosed up if not for all that twisted 'enabling/trolling'.

But at the same time - goddamn if it isn't fascinating.

It's me I'm the hypocrite doomed for hell.

VVV Bluespike wad the 12 y/o (i think he was under 16 at least) who blackmailed Chris into shoving his medallion up his rear end.

It was such a big deal that 4chan genuinely become self aware for a second and actually took steps to reign it in VVV

KayTee fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Mar 11, 2015

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Arcsquad12 posted:

Doug says that the commando elite made the gwendy dolls alive to be their sex slaves,

Yeah... As much as he pretends to be a child in his reviews - his mind goes to these sort of places sometimes...

I still get squicked out over his joke about the little girl dollie in the 6th Day review...

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

It seems kinda obvious he never really intends to do anything more than a really shallow review. Any more depth than that probably would interfere with the whole angry review gimmick.

His Signs review pretty much blows this out of the water, though.

KayTee fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Mar 12, 2015

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Cubey posted:

e: oh eh also was responsible for one of the few times Penny Arcade ever did anything worthwhile, when he said he'd donate 10k dollars to a charity of choice if a game developer made a game where you killed the people who made it. Several did so and he never donated, so Penny Arcade did and labeled the donation as something like 'because Jack Thompson won't', and he threatened legal action against PA for it. Seriously, just go dig through the man's history and everything he said and did when he still had the power and platform to do so, it's complete insanity.

I've just read up on this and it has made my day. I done a proper lol.

http://arstechnica.com/uncategorized/2005/10/5458-2/

quote:

[Thompson] issued a "Modest Proposal" that offered a US$10,000 reward to anyone who would create a video game featuring Osaki Kim, a father whose son was beaten to death with a baseball bat by a 14-year-old gamer. [...]

What Jack did not expect was that the enterprising PC gaming mod community would turn around and make this mod a reality. Jack then reneged on his promise of a US$10,000 donation to the charity of the modder's choice, saying that his original bounty had been "satire", and therefore not a legitimate promise.

This is where Penny Arcade, the popular video game-themed online comic strip, entered the story. One of the co-creators of the strip, Mike "Gabe" Krahulik, emailed Jack Thompson and informed him that he thought his proposed US$10,000 charitable donation was pretty small in light of Penny Arcade's more than half a million dollars, raised as part of their "Child's Play" charity event. Unfortunately for Gabe, his email contained his phone number as part of the signature, and Jack took advantage of this to phone him directly. The phone call included a threat of a lawsuit if Gabe emailed him again. In response, Gabe sent a check to the Entertainment Software Association (ESA) in the amount of US$10,000 with the note "For Jack Thompson Because Jack Thompson Won't" on the bottom.

That's some backhanded, passive-aggressive poo poo there, but gently caress me that is satisfying!

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Hbomberguy posted:

3,2,3,4,4,2,3 AND

Alright, I give up - can someone please explain this joke to me.

KayTee fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Mar 15, 2015

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
Gah - I knew the Ishtar gag, but I've only watched the thing once and forgot the first few seconds of it. I feel dumb.

Here's a contribution to the thread instead. Sage is still feeling poorly (get better soon Bennett :) ) so he's done a commentary on his Geist review along with Mark the Engineer.

Somehow MD Geist was the only 'famous' anime from the 90's that I never encountered. I grew up surrounded by so many teenage anime fans, it's pretty amazing that no one picked that thing up!

I'm not sure if I should be happy or not.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
Jim Sterling has released his April Fool's video a little early.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhCoC1VBJz8

Meh, I snorted a couple of times.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
Deadly Mantis was my favorite - but that's one that's fallen into copywright hell AFAIK.

I remember the first episode I saw - my friends and I were channel surfing at 1am and just happened to trip over it. I never found out what the film was but it had a running gag wherein one of the characters was a hypnotist (or something) so Tom Servo would constntly ad-lib "SLEEEEEPP!" to lines throughout. Never found it again. :(

I don't think I've ever laughed so hard at something in my life.

I started watching with Mike and simply could never gel with Joel episodes. That seems to be a thing with the series, it does depend on who you started with. I also have the opinion that the robots personalities were just about fully formed when Mike turned up, while everything was still on training wheels with Joel.

Content:

My friend made me watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzY7Ywv_JiI

It sold me on the card game - it's on the way, but goddam Will is loving annoying in this. (e: On second thought: everyone is loving annoying in this) Is he like this in all his videos? I remember when he wrote columns in Dragon magazine, and he was pretty cool and chill and whatever in that - really helped me in my games. God only knows when the creature in this video emerged. Any thoughts?

KayTee fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Mar 19, 2015

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Siselmo posted:

Folding Ideas actually did a video of End of Evangelion that's about this. It's pretty good.

http://blip.tv/foldablehuman/s3e2-end-of-evangelion-and-the-audience-author-membrane-6540094

Thanks for linking this - I was itching to do it but *phoneposting*

Even if you have little to no idea about NGE or the ending shitstorms I'd still recommend giving this a watch.

In fact - watch everything by Foldable.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
Ladies and gentlemen of the thread, may I present to you my main problem with Patreon pledges: Idiot nerds with too much money.

Linkara reviews Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines.

I love the thinking behind it. "Hay, Comic Book Guy who has said that he really doesn't do video games that much. Review this lovely, cult video game that only barely works because a bunch of fanboys covered it in coding duct tape and is really long and mostly talking and fetch quests and really unfunny. Oh, and has poo poo-all to do with comic books. No I won't watch that LP by by LittleKuribo."

Ugh.

He does as good a job as he could, I guess. Bottles it when talking about the sexist content IMHO, and does a decent job of pimping out some of the other CA producers. Someone might watch that Count Chocula guy now.

Also bonus appearance of Paw, Maven and Baby Grey.

tl;do i'm a grouch today.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
Linkara finishes of Patreon week (thank god) with Titans: Paper-Scissors-Stone

I kinda share Linkara's reaction to this comic - part of me absolutely hates it for the poo poo artwork (I hate that style - it might just be a personal thing) and the blatant fanservice (although I'll allow for the chance that it's intentional) but the other part of me likes the idea and the setup and, unlike Linkara, I think the ending is pretty good.

Does anyone know anything about the 'Empowered' comic? I remember bumping into it briefly before and writing it off as some creepy dude's excuse to indulge his latex/exhibitionism kink (much like El Goonish Shive does w/transformation). Right now I'm at work and I'm afraid to google it.

Speaking of kink indulgent - does anyone remember that one reviewer/critic whose thing was asking the women he interviewed to pretend they'd stuck his feet to the floor with glue? I'm pretty sure I didn't imagine that and I wonder if he's still around.

KayTee fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Apr 14, 2015

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

DStecks posted:

Taste is subjective. If you like it, I can't tell you you're wrong. I personally find it very unappealing, but I can't say it's poorly-executed.

And yeah, not sure why I deleted this from my post, but I was going to say something to the effect of a western colouring style not working with a heavily anime-inspired lineart style. Or at least, this colouring style doesn't work with this lineart style. It just makes everything look bulbous. Of course some of that comes from the lineart, what with corpseguy having the biggest bust of any of the not-Titans, but the colours do not do it any favours.

At least I know I'm not alone. It reminds me of Gen-13 which all my friends were raving about back in the day and I simply could not read because goddamn look at that GIS page.

But yeah, I know it's personal taste here - I absolutely cannot stand some recent art styles. Look at Power Pack, for example. Here's issue 1 from back in the mid 80's:

That, BTW, is one of about one time you will ever see a comic artist draw a realistic toddler.

And here's what they looked like a few years ago:

*Blegh*

e: I'm so sorry, tables! I didn't mean it!

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Fluffy the Cat posted:

Another Brick In The Wall, Part II by Pink Floyd. I'm happy with that :)
'Sup best-year Brother

e: and best month. I forgot how this worked for a second.

:):hf::)

I am amazed at how fascinating I'm finding Phalous's Bootleg Zone videos.

I happened to click on the galaxy warriors one and now I wish I kept the knockoff/failed toys I had as a kid. The stories and theories behind them are more fascinating than the toys themselves!

KayTee fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Apr 24, 2015

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Benny the Snake posted:

Hey internet reviewers and critics alike on this thread, I have a very importiant question involved in criticism--is it fair to base your opinion on a given work not on the source material but on the adaptation? Particuarly when the aesthetics of said source material are personally so repugnant that the adaptation not only as faithful to the source material as possible but much, much more palatable?

Yes, but you will always get idiots who cant/won't separate them.

I wrote a comedy takedown of 'Return to Oz' once upon a time and got myself flooded with 'But in the book..." comments.

I even made a note saying that I was critiquing/making fun of the movie as it stands and got even more people saying "Yeah but you can't do that coz [insert bullshit]".

Stanley Kubrick's 'The Shining', the TV series 'The Shining' and Stephen King's book 'The Shining' are all very different and can all be appreciated and critiqued as separate artifacts. As well they should be.

e: misread your comment. No you totally shouldn't base your opinion on Superman on only viewing Man of Steel.

KayTee fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Apr 24, 2015

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Somehow.

I used to watch his videos, because he was accidentally a decent parody of internet reviewers.

When I first watched him I thought he was a parody - and all those people doing "Irate Gamer is an idiot" videos were victims of expert-level trolling.

Speaking of trolling, Spoony's last video was him and his brother talking infront of a camera about B-Fest. Part 1 went up, I believe, a fortnight ago. I guess it's all that editing...

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Leal posted:

Doesn't IG actually teach ghost hunting in college?

You just made this up. I'm not biting that, I've been sent for too many skyhooks and glass hammers in my time to fall for this.

E: oh my God he never stops giving!

EE:

http://pursuitoftheparanormal.com/chris-bores-bio-page/

quote:

Chris Bores is one of the leading ghost communicators in the field of Ghost Hunting. He is currently a ghost tour guide at the Collingwood Arts Center in Toledo, Ohio. His various interactions with spirits have led to the groundbreaking case study on the afterlife that continues to fascinate audiences.

Chris has spent years refining a new approach to use in the field of ghost hunting that guarantees a higher success rate than ever before. Since implementing these skill sets, he has been able to pull extreme amounts of knowledge from the spirit realm never documented before!

These insights have led to revolutionary new concepts like the Bores Classifications of Spirits and the new field of psychological research called: Discarnate Psychology. These revelations have derived from hours of work in the field, ancient texts (‘Tibetan Book of the Dead’, ‘Egyptian Book of the Dead’),
Tobin's Spirit Guide...

quote:

Chris currently is working on his psychology degree and performing lecturing and producing documentaries on his findings.

Unbelievable.

quote:

He has been featured on: Hardcore Pawn, Toledo CBS News, Toledo FOX News, “Dayton Ghosts”, “Star 105.5″ Morning Radio, Toledo Blade Newspaper, Toledo Free Press, YouTube’s 2010 55th Most Subscribed Channel, Google and more!

Irate Gamer. Featured on Google!

KayTee fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Apr 26, 2015

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

achillesforever6 posted:

Doug reviewed the Antonio Banderas and I don't think I can accept that its actually a bad movie, I remember watching it all the time and loving it. :negative:

Doug also thinks that Masters of the Universe, The Garbage Pail Kids, Mortal Kombat, Howard the Duck and Jaws 3 are also bad movies, to name a few.

He's wrong about most movies :colbert:

e: And so is Mischalaniouse, apparently. Don't listen to them either. :colbert:

KayTee fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Apr 30, 2015

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
https://t.co/o2dSGtdAuB

Yay! That Chick With The Goggles is back! :)

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
I liked the bit where The Avengers all shacked up in a cabin in the countryside. It reminded me of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

Part of me thinks it was supposed to.

No one I have spoken to has a problem with the Magic Pool of Dreams at the Centre of the Earth. The film has a Magic Pool of Dreams at the Centre of the Earth.

ninjaedit:

Thor's all like "Hail! Character from previous films!"

That guy's like: "'sup"

Thor goes: "Come wither hence withem me to the Magic Pool of Dreams at the Centre of the Earth."

Dude's all: "'k"

Thor says: "There's faeries and poo poo in here. Verily"

Dude: "wow"

*DREAMQUEST*

- Cut to Tony and Steve -

Am I the only one who got het up at that?

e: VVV I know, right? VVV

KayTee fucked around with this message at 09:13 on May 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
On a different note - not an Internet Reviewer par-se but some guy I followed a while back because I liked his Space Quest LP is doing a retrospective on Alfred J. Kwak.

He's focusing on the original Dutch version, which is pretty cool because there's a few Dutch-Language puns worked in there that are pretty interesting. If this song twangs your nostalgia bone, do give it a watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpQgCvtYsDk

Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQK0fbUgjhk

Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjoxSOVsnY0

There's a part three on the way.

Enjoy.

• Locked thread