Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Sage has a pretty big consistency problem if you ask me. Sometimes he can be on the ball and really funny and other times his stuff is just kinda there. I think that might be because there are a lot of bad OVAs that are dull as poo poo as opposed to interestingly bad so you run into a problem with what the hell can you actually say about it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Cubey posted:

I didn't pay any attention to pop at all this year, holy god at those DJ Mustard songs. I've never heard a producer who makes such samey-sounding songs ever.

His songs also have this stupid trademark at the start which just sounds loving horrible.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Regarding Picnic at Hanging Rock, Hanging Rock is a gorgeous area of Victoria. I mean, it is a phenomenal place to walk around and there's so many native birds and poo poo.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

http://blip.tv/todds-pop-song-reviews/top-ten-worst-hit-songs-of-2014-pt-2-7142679

Part two of Todds top ten is up

Infamous Sphere posted:

I haven't been there yet. Nor have I been to SA (or Tas, or WA, or NT, or more than the barest scrap of QLD). I'm a Bad Australian. But yes, Australia has some very nice natural areas, which deserve to be explored. Just take your phone and plenty of water and make sure somebody knows where you're going.

Well, you're certainly missing out. Regional Victoria is gorgeous. Not to mention a couple of places that I've been to like Kondalilla Falls, Fraser Island & Beechworth.

Testekill fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jan 19, 2015

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

BigRed0427 posted:

What's your guys opinion of Keanu Reeves as an action star in general? He's not a BIG star any more but he still gets work, plus John Wick was REALLY good.

Keanu Reeves sounds like a really cool guy. I wish that Overkill Software were able to get him to voice John Wick in Payday 2 but other than that I have no complaints about him.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Cyron posted:

wow. so we must pick a side or be killed. gamergate is poo poo, some anti GG is poo poo. sorry for not drinking kool aid or any side.

i am done with this thread for a bit, i am going to a place where people are nicer to you for not agreeing with them like North Koria where i am sure the only thing close to gamergate is making a gate into a sport.

And nothing of value was lost.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

That is the thing about Lawful stuff. It's not necessarily about following the law, it's about following a code. I played a LG fighter that was completely broken following him losing everything. However he followed his own code of justice and was played as being a fundamentally decent person that understood wrong and right but just was way left of center.
It's just like with Chaotic Neutral, the D&D manuals just made the mistake of saying that it was the alignment of lunatics. A CN character is someone that really just does what they want without actively being malicous or heroic about it. But nerds see "A chaotic neutral character follows his whims" and they become "LOLMONKEYCHEESERANDOM"
It's kinda funny that CN gets played like that since the alignment guide even says that they are unpredictable but not totally random. Another character that I played for a while was a noblewoman who was guided completely by ego and was utterly selfish, she ended up saving a town because she talked them into making a grand statue for her when she returned.

Testekill fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Jan 31, 2015

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Robert Denby posted:

Gonna add WEE into my podcast rotation, although it does make for something of a sad listen. I knew "The Simpsons" got pretty stagnant but I was blissfully unaware of some of the lows. Well, except Marge on the cover of Playboy, which was just :what:

Is there a particular reason for this? I'm honestly curious. I thought Cracked was just sort of the same wheelhouse as Buzzfeed; overwritten clickbait schlock. Did they steal SA material or something?

The only good thing on Cracked is SeanBaby and he just doesn't produce enough content. There are more bad articles on Cracked than there are days between Seanbaby articles.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

The Vosgian Beast posted:

It's kind of impressive that Bruno Mars had both a "Lazy Song" and "Uptown Funk" in him. He is large, and contains multitudes.

Of songs.

It's so weird that he doesn't really have a personality unless he's playing a homage to older songs from the 70s and 80s. Treasure was pretty fantastic also and that was early R&B style.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Metal Loaf posted:

I'm most keen to see him cover "Our House" by Madness.

You can't really justify Madness, sure Our House was their only song to chart in the US but they've had ten top five hits in the UK . It would be like doing Wonderwall by Oasis, it was their only hit in the US but they were megastars in the UK.

EDIT: I was going to use Bittersweet Symphony by the Verve but it turns out that wasn't even a top ten hit in the US.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

johnfw50 posted:

Ehh. Oasis falls more into the Jimi Hendrix- type of one hit wonders. I'm pretty sure Todd has reviewed guys who were stars overseas before.

But ten top five hits? That's very difficult to justify. If it was just they had one other song that did really well then that would be fine but not to the degree of ten over five years.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Mokinokaro posted:

He's mentioned that one before when talking about how the late 90s pop music starting getting really upbeat after grunge faded. I definitely wouldn't be surprised if he covers it in the future.

I was going to suggest Lit's My Own Worst Enemy but I think they had more than one hit song thanks to being on movie soundtracks.

Lit had a couple of tracks that did well on the alternative charts. Apparently only hit 51 with Own Worst Enemy though.

EDIT: I would like to see a OHW on Steal My Sunshine though. I don't think I could think of a better song that summed up the late 90s in popular music except for You Get What You Give.

Edit 2: I'd also love for him to do Sex and Candy by Marcy Playground. I still love that song so goddamn much.

EDIT the Third: He might also be able to do Torn by Natalie Imbruglia. It was prevented from charting in the US at the peak of its popularity thanks to it not having a physical release over there and peaked at 42 long after its popularity had faded. However it was number 1 on the Hot 100 Airplay chart for 11 weeks so I'd classify that as a hit.

The last edit I promise: I was also going to suggest a Hunters & Collectors song but they charted better in the US than in Australia. They had two top ten hits in the US while they had none in Australia.

Testekill fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Feb 4, 2015

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Kunster posted:

The dog part got more baffling with some internet critics quoting that part as a good example of his analysis skilz. I remember at least Rap Critic citing that as something that got him to watch Doug.

Him attempting to understand trauma is quite a hoot. "I don't understand why someone whose kid was sniped in front of him would be rambling nearly an hour before! What's this pretentious diatribe about children???" "Why did a girl retract to herself after witnessing in rapid succession her family dog attempt to kill her and her brother killing the dog in front of her in defense? Why did she freak out at big rear end corn field circles appearing out of nowhere???!"

It also told me a lot about him the way he introduced people skating or surfing as being just exercises to boost one's confidence and then trying to pin a segment where the kid tries to surf as a "fetish" thing.

Or like the Barbie doll stuff in Small Soldiers being fetish poo poo. It's a Joe Dante film, how can you not understand that he has bizarre and deranged poo poo in his films for the sake of it being deranged.

Testekill fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Feb 20, 2015

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

OldTennisCourt posted:

BrutalMoose and Caddicarus are both pretty similar in style.

I don't really like Caddicarus that much as his shtick kinda wears on me. I do like BrutalMoose though, his reviews are pretty chill.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

senae posted:

come on now, you didn't even make 23 hours.

given that the thing it was definitely, intentionally a metaphor for (discarding societal expectations in order to become the person you want to be/already are) is basically the same thing as coming out, I'd say that's definitely a valid reading, and there's no way it wasn't in the back of at least some of the team's mind while they were making the movie.

Counter point, a lot of people on poo poo like tumblr reacted to the whole act of true love stuff between the sisters and instantly clicked 'oh my god, they're loving each other' so I don't trust their ability to understand themes or relationships.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Tae posted:

I actually do want to listen to a podcast about the latest royal rumble, because the whole situation seems fascinating on what happened, but I'm too afraid to get into a huge jargon meta cast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEiMgTKgxqw

Bryan and Vinny have a great one on it.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Todds new review is up for his Patreons and it's on Word Up by Cameo. He's like crazy positive about it.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Mraagvpeine posted:

Are there any video games with moral choice systems where the "good" side isn't the right side?

That's Obsidian in general, they love to have actual shades of grey in their stories. KOTORII in general has a theme of thinking for yourself and the Jedi council are portrayed as wishy-washy and wanting to wait and see even if it means millions of people die.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Peanut Butter Gamer did a video on bad licensed video games that was pretty enjoyable. He's pretty likable also and is generally chill. It also doesn't take the easy cop out by naming ET & Superman 64 as the worst licensed video games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-DgiD9ZWVw

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Jack Gladney posted:

I'm afraid to ask, but what was the thing with Mara Wilson? I know she did some videos with Lindsay Ellis that seemed to go pretty well, and it seem like maybe Wilson was trying to make herself into a youtube video person.

The Critic made some jokes about hating Mara Wilson in some of his videos and his fans went overboard and made her life poo poo. His way of apologising is letting her get one up on him in one of his reviews but he never actually came out and said to his fans "holy poo poo guys, I have no problem with Mara Wilson as a person so could you leave her alone?"

That seems to be a common reoccurring situation, Doug doesn't call his fans out on their poo poo. Mara Wilson isn't even trying to be a youtube person, she works for Publicolor and is a writer on the side.

Testekill fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Mar 8, 2015

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Jack Gladney posted:

That is appalling. Mara Wilson hasn't even been in a movie since 1995. Why would these horrible loving nerds go harass a private citizen for being a bad kid actor? And she was great in that video with Lindsay Ellis' gang where they ate dunkaroos, by which I mean she was a normal person with funny things to say about Fruit by the Foot.

Her last movie was in 2000 in the Thomas the Tank Engine movie with Doug did review. He also talked about Matilda briefly in his video about "movies I hate that other people really like" where he hung poo poo on her so it was one of these two which caused it all.
But yeah she's seems like a really nice, well adjusted woman and I just felt so bad for her life being made hell thanks to a screechy nerd on the internet.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

High Warlord Zog posted:

Edit: ^ Fern Gully deserves your vitriol. The racial politics of that movie are awful.

Plus considering it's set in an actual location of cultural significance for Aboriginal Australians of the region, you'd think it'd be a bit less homogeneous. Like you could set it anyone and it wouldn't change anything.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Asuron posted:

Just watch the Ishtar trailer over and over.

They really have to take Arin off the controller and give it to Danny more. I enjoy the hell out of GG whenever it's Danny enjoying something or beating something he's never tried before. His Punch-out and Shadow of the Colossus videos were easily among the best they've done because of it.

It also helps both of them are fantastic games but still.

Not to mention that Danny seems to just have a childlike wonder when he gets to play. You know, like he's legitimately enjoying himself instead of forcing himself to play and make jokes for money.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

So was that story with the toy monkey like an official adaption of the Steven King story or did someone just decide to rip it off?

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

BigRed0427 posted:

The Main Event this year is going to be Roman Reigns VS Brock Lesnar for the WWE Title. Roman is considered the heir apparent to be the new top guy in the WWE since John Cena is starting to look at retirement. He is someone who can be that guy and has every advantage, including being related to The Rock. The problem is that he has only been wrestling for 3-4 years and it shows. He's not terrible but not someone who can pull out the kind of match the main event at Wrestlemania needs to be. THe WWE has also failed to make him look like the powerhouse he needs to be.

For example, the ending to the Royal Rumble was Roman VS Big Show and Kane, two guys that have been in the WWE since the mid to late 90s. Instead of Having Roman just steamroll two of the monster heels in the WWE, Big Show and Kane are eliminated while they argue with each other. It's one of those WWE endings to a match where we need everyone to still look good at the end but the execution makes it so no one looks good, which has been a problem FOR YEARS!

On top of that, the WWE has this completely stacked roster, maybe their best since Hogan's days or the Attitude Era and it feels like they don't know what to do with anyone and their all just kind of there to put over the guys WWE wants to be their stars.

My own personal feelings, At the Royal Rumble when Daniel Bryan was eliminated (He looked like he slipped off the ring apron and landed on his feet) The WWE sent a loud and clear message "If you are the kind of fan who likes Daniel Bryan or anyone like him, you don't matter to us" So I stopped watching. Only reason I still have my WWE Network subscription is NXT.

Full disclosure though, I haven't watched WWE since The Royal Rumble so maybe they made Roman to look good.

Don't forget them deliberately making the last couple of people in the ring that the fans cared about look like poo poo. Big Show does his knockout punch that looks like it can barely bruise a sponge cake then they're just dumped out of the ring slowly.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Tae posted:

You have to actively try and make it worse than I think WM 20 when Brock Lesnar and Stone Cold Steve Austin literally just stared at each other and did basically nothing for the entire match.

Brock & Goldberg. Austin was the special guest referee.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Honestly a lot of the attitude era was pretty bad, it's just that the audience was into everything and it was never really boring. But yeah, NXT is fantastic stuff and all of their specials have had some awesome matches on them.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

littleorv posted:

Requesting the gif in reverse where he looks like a wizard

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

New One Hit Wonderland is up for Todd patreons. It's Blue by Eiffel 65. You know

i'm blue da ba dee da ba die da ba dee da ba die da ba dee da ba die da ba dee da ba die da ba dee da ba die da ba dee da ba die da ba dee da ba die da ba dee da ba die da ba dee da ba die da ba dee da ba die da ba dee da ba die da ba dee da ba die

EDIT: If I had the money then I'd love to suggest Black Betty by Spiderbait just because it'll be worth him going through their past songs. Like you'd expect them to be a alternative rock band but instead most of their more successful songs in Australia were pop-electronica.

I'd also love Tomorrow by Silverchair since they were like 15 when it topped the charts and they look back on it unfavourably.

Testekill fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Mar 30, 2015

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Cubey posted:

I think Anna's Song was as big/bigger of a hit from these guys, so they wouldn't count as a One Hit Wonder.

gently caress Anna's Song, for the record.

I'm going by just success on the American charts. Although Abuse Me hit number 4 apparently which is a surprise since I didn't think much of it. Also apparently Pure Massacre & Anthem for the year 2000 were top 20 on the Billboard mainstream rock charts.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

The only anime that I've watched lately is JoJo which I've finally started checking out. And I'm happy to stick with it unless a new Cromartie High School or Slayers comes out.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Mike J has two videos on the Dungeons & Dragons sequels. The movies about as bad as the original but twice as boring.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

We just need more series' like G Gundam with the Tequila Gundam.

EDIT: I actually kinda feel like playing Armored Core For Answer now or DW Gundam.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Infamous Sphere posted:

Other than that, another great one is Horror Movie by Skyhooks. However, I don't listen to pop radio much so I'm not sure if I'm forgetting about some really odd Australian one hit wonders.

Skyhooks had like five top ten hits in a row so they're certainly not OHWs. The Divinyls would probably count since the only had the one massive hit in I Touch Myself while Boys in Town was only a hit in Australia and Pleasure & Pain was only a moderate hit outside of Australia. Alternatively you could consider the Angels because they had an iconic rock track in "Am I ever gonna see your face again" but nobody really remembers their songs that were much more succesful on the charts.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Infamous Sphere posted:

Haha, well if they do, they certainly didn't tell me about it :)

I also have the distinction of being from Australia's least favourite city, which is a bit of a handicap. Interestingly (?) enough, I applied for a job at the ACMI for their hollywood costume exhibition, but I think a lot of people applied for the same job and they probably wanted to give it to someone who wasn't going to have to uproot themselves and travel 8 hours south.

The problem is that there are two cities that can lay claim to that title. So you from Canberra or Darwin?

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I've come to the conclusion of gently caress adult contemporary. What a loving boring genre and gently caress Bryan Adams especially if he really did threaten Allmusic.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Celery Face posted:

Since I don't give Todd money yet, I went and looked at the year end chart for 91'. I feel sorry for anyone who's old enough to remember that. So loving worthless.

91 was seriously such a nothing year for pop music. There were maybe five or six songs on there that I actually enjoy.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Miss Wallace, what's with all the Irate Gamer jokes that Phelous makes? Is it just because IG is a twat? Recently he started selling cutscene art from his failed Iphone game without consulting the artist who drew them.

EDIT: Also my birth number 1 was some adult contemporary poo poo. I guess at least in America the number one at the time was New Kids on the Block.

Testekill fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Apr 24, 2015

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Anyone have the link to Anime is the Ties that Bind Us? That is pretty much all you ever need to know about TvTropes. It's amazing.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/gdmgkl3w5ed6255/AAAAETxWWsrOsDSS3-RfBS4Ra?dl=0

Got all of the things from the mock threads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Mortal Kombat was not a great game and had bullshit AI. It was very much built on the back of gratuitous violence but thankfully with 9 & X they seem to have gotten much better mechanics wise.

• Locked thread