Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

I don't think we should add too many people to the OP since it will because too big and unapproachable then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

What's everyone's opinion on Bennett the Sage? He reviews schlock anime from the 90s and early 2000s, and occasionally dips into some weird sketch comedy. He can strike a good balance between letting terrible OVAs speak for themselves and actually having some quite insightful moments. Unfortunately, this can also be frustrating, when he's discussing a show you might want a more in depth look at, and instead he goes for the poop joke instead.

Sage has done some really fantastic videos but sometimes it feels like he tries too hard to be edgy.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

I really, really, REALLY liked the video he finally made on Violence Jack though.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Marathoning all the Boogyman videos is not a bad idea and neither is doing it with the Pulse ones.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

I think he wrote Halloweenie's stuff. :v:

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Didn't spoony make a vlog about how making that sketch was really awkward because they were basically surrounded by (American :v:) snipers?

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Vicas posted:

Once PDP stopped the rape jokes (and good on him for listening to people about that) he became a lot less objectionable, and just unappealing to a lot of people outside of his target age range

Didn't he resume with them after something like a week after he stopped?

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Not a whole lot of people care about what movies or actors get Oscars but people care a whole lot about what and who doesn't get nominated.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Compendium posted:

I've listened to Katy Perry live before, she can't sing. I love some of Katy's songs, but seriously she cannot deliver.

Here's a song of Ke$ha's I really like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhUEbovdM1E

I really like this as well and that's a really good sample job.

Sucks about Monty Oum, I was never a fan of his work but it's still very tragic.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Echo Chamber posted:

I purposely avoided MovieBob in everything except his movie reviews and Big Picture.

I guess that's the sign to stop watching those even.

Just don't watch Game Overthinker, his Escapist stuff is usually pretty good.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Geez, I hope I never start an internet review show where I ramble about how videogames will never again reach the heights of the first three Crash Bandicoot and Spyro games.

I hate it when I accidentally do that.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

What got me into anime was The Girl Who Leapt Through Time which still one of my favorite movies. I also appreciate you letting me know that I should never even consider watching Elfen Lied.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

I'd rather watch Game Theory than TB because while neither of them have any substance or say anything worthwhile, at least Game Theory videos are short. :shrug:

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Miss Wallace posted:

Sometimes folks have "ACTING VOICES." That's why I sound different in OLP videos versus more conversational vids. Maybe it's the camera that brings it out, I don't know.

A fun thing that I've noticed is that a lot of LP-ers who do live commentary (well at least when I watched them the most a few years ago) start out with a fairly dramatic voice but sound a lot more casual towards the end of the video.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

I mostly just check what people say on twitter but I have pretty niche taste when it comes to games. :shrug:

watho
Aug 2, 2013

I really like Todd's videos but the dude's gotta get better at audio balancing.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

SatansBestBuddy posted:

If he's using AVIsynth then yeah, I can see that happening.

Is there any reason to ever use AVIsynth other than severe stubbornness or masochism?

watho
Aug 2, 2013

admataY posted:

guys..
here is a thing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS5P_LAqiVg

you might like

edit: Its a short kickstarter project that actually came to fruition in a non embarrassing manner. Just fun silliness, and short enough to not run itself to the ground .

This has nothing to do with this thread but it doesn't matter since it's so good. (it was also on national television here which is pretty hilarious)

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Yeah, that was actually a pretty good video. I mean, it didn't tell me anything I didn't already know but this is miles ahead of his previous stuff.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Even as a stupid, teenage megafan I still got bored with Kickassia. Every consecutive movie after that had way worse low points but they also had better high points. The whole role-playing gimmick of Suburban Knights was really grating though.

I do remember really enjoying three of the shorts for Uncanny Valley but that's probably because the Walker brothers didn't really have anything to do with them.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I've seen a decent amount of anime, but I will never understand why people watch movies that recap a show they've already seen with a few new things here and there.

I don't remember if Madoka: Rebellion is one of those, but just putting that out there.

I probably wouldn't have watched Gurren Lagann if it weren't for the movies and boy am I glad that I did!

watho
Aug 2, 2013

He did make a good point at the end by basically saying that the people who bought it were all man-children doing it to prove a point.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

PiedPiper posted:

What is so offensive about Hatred, anyway? From what I've seen, it's just dumb.

It's a really bad game but people pretend that it's good because they think SJWs get mad. It's pretty much gently caress You, Dad: The Game.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Yahtzee makes some good points and he makes some bad ones, he makes some funny videos and makes some unfunny ones. I've just gotten tired of Zero Punctuation after watching it for like 7 or so years.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

I can't belie these men may control the fate of the Middle East.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

lornekates posted:

First time I heard that was at the dance studio, during another class' warmup. It was a tap class, with mostly elderly ladies, so I assumed it was one of their songs.

Me: Jeez, 50s songs had some really misogynistic lyrics

My wife: {checks phone} that song was released in 2014...

Well, to be fair, some 50s songs had some really misogynistic lyrics.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

DStecks posted:

I'm sorry. I'm going to stop now. But this one was just so sad. gently caress the Chris-Chan community forever.

FAKE EDIT: Also gently caress when people forget to capitalize the S in DStecks. :argh:

I don't think I would've had the spirit to continue making something if I were realizing that I were attracting those people. :sigh:

watho
Aug 2, 2013

What's the origin of the Ishtar trailer thing? I know it's from RLM but not what specifically.

Edit: I know that it's an actual movie trailer but the references started somewhere.

watho fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Jul 8, 2015

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Amazing

watho
Aug 2, 2013

I don't know why but I really, really love My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU. I kind of want to review it because I have so many thoughts on it but I'm awful at writing so…

I guess that it's because it scratches the same itch that Honey & Clover did which is what got me into anime in the first place and I haven't really seen anything that was quite like it since.

This season seems really meh. I'll check out Gangsta though since it seems to be up my alley. Is it on Crunchyroll?

Edit: It's only on funimation and is not available here. :sigh:

watho fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Jul 14, 2015

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If you're in Australia, it's up on AnimeLab.

Sweden. There's not really of an anime licensing scene here.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

It's not a Skinner box though since there's no random element to it.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

So the AT4W movie is a crossover, someone said? Is it even possible for them to make something original, and not tied into endless cameos and references? Oh wait, am I talking about doug or lewis?

Also, Sage has a new review out, of an anime called Wild Cards.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBdVKbVYxis

Since there is pretty much nothing substantial to talk about for the OVA, Sage instead takes some time to talk about how strange it is that some anime make more sense in English than in Japanese, due to accents and characters speaking multiple languages. He also talks about racist caricatures, and the career of one of the strangest bad voice actresses who ever worked, Apollo Smile.

As soon as I read this I knew that he was going to talk about Black Lagoon, I love that show so much but it doesn't make any sense in Japanese. I'm not kidding when I say that it feels like it was originally written for an English cast but then translated to Japanese.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Gyges posted:

To be fair, it doesn't make any sense in English whenever they decide to actually speak "English". First time I watched the episode where everyone is talking Engrish I had to go find some subs to put into the video, because the translation team was certain there was no need for subtitles since they were speaking English.

Imagine long periods where the entire dialogue is like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9F5p1_hR2Ws

That is the Japanese version though...

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Jimbot posted:

I always have to wonder: is this parody? Or are they deadly serious? Both? I can never tell with these shows.

Basically, due to the demographic of these shows being technologically illiterate, the writers of these shows made it sort of an inside joke to write really absurd things regarding computers.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

I apologise. For "anime" please read "children's cartoons made in USA/Japan/S. Korea".

Still doesn't apply to the topic but it was a good attempt. :)

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Mraagvpeine posted:

I hope someone doesn't use Patreon to ask Todd to do Kidz Bop.

This but the literal opposite.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

I'd like to see it more like a OHW where he talks about the phenomenon of Kidz Bop and not reviewing a specific song.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Mr. Fowl posted:

Also, I have no idea what that smiley means, but it's cute.

It's a cute duck! :3:

(It was the avatar of a beloved user for like 8 years and people liked it so much that they made a smiley out of it)

On topic: that TB article was a bit too harsh on calling him something along the line of one of the biggest harassers but otherwise it was really on point. It's good that he was upset over those comments but he's been siding with people who have said much worse for a few years now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Mraagvpeine posted:

I have to wonder what would it take to change this part of YouTube.

Heat death of the universe.

• Locked thread