Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

........ that's what I linked to. In the text that you quoted.

:|

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

nine-gear crow posted:

Brad tackles Miami Connection too this week.

Here's Lupa's and Red Letter Media's reviews of the film too for posterity.

I consider Lupa's review of Miami Connection to be a quintessential episode of OLP. It is utterly Lupa: the perfect mix of joking about a horrible movie AND being enthralled by how awesomely silly it is.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

i am tim! posted:

Egads. I watched that game show, and I had thought I might've hosed something up and accidentally came in halfway through. Who's idea was it to cold start them playing that fishing game board?

I don't know what's worse about it that:

1) Why are they playing? Is this a prelude to another round, or is this a preview of what's to come in the episode?

2) It has no resolution. Who won the game? What did they win? How did that mini-round effect the game overall.

3) A loving DOLLAR STORE GAME? Did you have fun watching those people play? No! Of course not. It's a stupid game, and not exciting to watch at all. You would only watch two people play a boring game if you were interested in the people, and their interaction. That's why it's fun watching funny people to LPs of poo poo games. But two nobodies who you literally know NOTHING about playing a boring game?

4) Goddamn shaky cam. Did none of that $50k go into buying a loving tripod or camera stabalizer? Not only is it a poo poo game played by boring people, but you can't even make out what's going on. Hold a shot for more than half a second! If the goal was to induce nausea, mission accomplished.

5) The fact that within the first SIX SECONDS you can see the cameraman's shadow. In just slightly over 100 frames, they make an amateur cinematography mistake.

And all of that within the very first scene-- the very first minute-- of the very first episode. And if all of THAT wasn't bad enough-- and that isn't even counting the exposed wood beams and visible wall seams in the set-- there's the fact that this stupid, idiotic dollar store game is being PLAYED WRONG.

There are four colors of fishes. The reason is because each player is supposed to be the first to catch all of THEIR OWN COLOR. But instead they're just snagging any color. They're playing the game wrong. They're playing--the game-- wrong. :|

Sheeeeeet.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

kaleidolia posted:

Also, didn't realise Jackula had been picked up. I guess CA was too busy making sure people got their 47k worth of gameshow to actually promote anyone.

I challenge anyone to name all the new talent that got picked up, and what they produce.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Miss Wallace posted:

no descriptions of anyone

Probably the worst for them (tied with no categorization). It's like shopping in a candy store in another country that doesn't have any English on the packaging. The brief glimpse you get of it may look good, but are you going to get sweet, sweet chocolate-cherry, or are you going to get mouth-fart durian fruit flavor? What if you only got one piece of candy per week?

Miss Wallace posted:

everything is buried and there's no name recognition. This also hurts the site, because it doesn't even seem like TGWTG anymore.

It could have been such an easy fix. Phase in all the new talent once every two weeks-- to coincide with the most recent episode of NC. Dedicate one mid-roll (or an after-review but pre-credit scene) to the new producer. Either play their trailer, or have Doug do a rapid-fire "Shut Up And Talk" with them, just enough to introduce the person, their show, what they cover, what to expect. Throw a link to their show underneath the video. BAM, loving done-- enough people watch the NC to expose each new talent to hundreds of thousands of eyeballs. That would get enough people clicking through to taste-test their show to build an audience. Producers thrive, TGWTG thrives, everyone still feels welcome into "the family".

Miss Wallace posted:

the "producer spotlight" which was predictably updated about once every time Brigadoon shows up.

If only there were some way to pre-load a list of producers to spotlight-- say in a base of data or something-- and to somehow compute when it was their week to be highlighted. Or even-- and this is like really far-future science fiction stuff here-- but a way to have a machine randomly pick a producer who hasn't been spotlighted yet, and do so. Such a fantastical system might even be able to UPDATE THE SITE BY ITSELF WITHOUT HUMAN INTERVENTION! Okay, sorry, didn't mean to scare everyone with Skynet poo poo like that, but sometimes you just have to think about what could be...

Miss Wallace posted:

That being said, SF Debris, Count Jackula, and Shark Jumping are all great. SF Debris has his own following outside of TGWTG anyway, but those are my recommendations if you guys don't know who would be worth checking out. I'd definitely say you should watch them on their respective sites and channels though. ;)

Ditto for iRawss (The Good Hook)... though his output has plummeted recently-- and he started a new Youtube channel-- and hasn't posted a new Good Hook in favor of two "new" shows-- so I don't know what's going on there. But anyways: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?iRawss2

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

OrangeKing posted:

If I could pick a One Hit Wonder subject, I'd want Todd to do Harvey Danger. Is anything other than "Flagpole Sitta" worth listening to? Do they even exist outside of this song?

Harvey Danger released an entire album, "Little by Little", free via bittorrent in 2005. They did it explicitly as a "gently caress you" to the music industry that was demonizing the Internet and suing fans. It has 100k+ downloads, had a physical printing, and a song ported to Rock Band. I remember when they made that announcement-- it was before Radiohead did their "pay what you can" album.

The album itself is pretty good (I love Moral Centralia), and is still available for free on the band's site: http://www.harveydanger.com/downloads/ (they have a donation link to help pay for bandwidth).

The band broke up in 2009.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

... and someone else mentioned Rusted Root. For me, that's "aka: The soundtrack to Twister" (which also includes one of the top 5 end title tracks ever!)

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Please. Clicking links is for people who want to make informed decisions.

(And really, who would have thought there'd be more than one musical act called "Belly"?!?)

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

HopperUK posted:

gently caress I love West Side Story so much. I really need to see a live performance of it sometime.

I just saw a couple friends in a production of it. The director's blurb in the program talk about how it was heavily inspired by Romeo and Juliet. I thought "That'd be a neat thing for Shakespeare Month".

So what I'm trying to say is GET YOUR PROBES OUT OF MY BRAIN KKYLE!!!

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Oh jesus gently caress. NC's "I'm half-assing it this week" video is The Ewoks Cartoon. The video is unremarkable, except for the post-credit announcement (which is 3 minutes of a 10 minute video, mind you):

(edit for brevity)

quote:

We're having a little contest actually... we have a new DVD coming out, most likely in June, and it's sortof a "best of" compilation of the Nostalgia Critic stuff you've seen over the past few years (and new stuff too), and we're looking for a cover artist (for the DVD cover).

This is one of those fun times where you can just create your own artwork, you can throw in whatever you want. The kind of stuff that we usually look for, if you look at our past artwork, the more Druze Struzon (sp), big, epic poster kinda stuff. Honestly making it much bigger than it really is, but that's always part of the joke. So be GRAND, be BIG, do whatever you want. It can be cartoony, it can be realistic. There's lots of images of us on the Internet, if you need pictures.
Here is the size [sfx: sizing], and in terms of deadline, May 30th is the deadline .. create a Deviant Art account, and you put your picture on there. ... Just be sure to put in your portfolio...
And the winner will not only get the artwork featured on the front of the DVD, but you'll also have a link to your portfolio site on the actual cover, so it'll be there for everyone to see. And you'll also get $100 sent to you as well, y'know might as well get a little something out of this. And all the runners-up will have a video at the end of one of the NCs, with your site on there as well. So there will also be a lot of free promotion for you. So if you win, that's great, you get to be on the cover of the DVD, your website promoted, and you also get $100. If you don't you still have a possibility to be in one of these videos, or at least your artwork, promoting your site.
you guys have always done some great fanart in the past, and we're looking forward to seeing more.

Full wall-o-text (fake edit: the spoiler collapse doesn't show in the preview, so I apologize in advance if I hosed this up)

quote:

We're having a little contest actually, something we haven't done for a while we have a new DVD coming out, most likely in June, and it's sortof a "best of" compilation of the Nostalgia Critic stuff you've seen over the past few years (and new stuff too), and we're looking for a cover artist. We're looking for a cover for the DVD to go on there. As of now we don't have an exact title, it'll just be Nostalgia Critic... something. So if you do want to work the title in, have Nostalgia Critic there that's fine, just leave a little bit of space to leave something else to go under there. Yeah. This is one of those fun times where you can just create your own artwork, you can throw in whatever you want. The kind of stuff that we usually look for, if you look at our past artwork, the more Druze Struzon (sp), big, epic poster kinda stuff. Honestly making it much bigger than it really is, but that's always part of the joke. So be GRAND, be BIG, do whatever you want. It can be cartoony, it can be realistic. There's lots of images of us on the Internet, if you need pictures. There will be characters from the show, like Hyper Fan Girl and the Devil, and so on and so forth. So please feel free to use them in there as well. Here is the size [sfx: sizing], and in terms of deadline, May 30th is the deadline. The way it works is you create a Deviant Art account, and you put your picture on there. The picture has to be the size I said before. You pretty much send a link (here). Just be sure to put in your portfolio-- a Deviant art portfolio or just your portfolio size-- email you want to be contacted at. And your real name, or the name you want to go by. And the winner will not only get the artwork featured on the front of the DVD, but you'll also have a link to your portfolio site on the actual cover, so it'll be there for everyone to see. And you'll also get $100 sent to you as well, y'know might as well get a little something out of this. And all the runners-up will have a video at the end of one of the NCs, with your site on there as well. So there will also be a lot of free promotion for you. So if you win, that's great, you get to be on the cover of the DVD, your website promoted, and you also get $100. If you don't you still have a possibility to be in one of these videos, or at least your artwork, promoting your site. So again, be sure to have your real name, the link to the deviant art picture, and also your portfolio site. It can be a Deviant Art account, that's fine. Remember the deadline is May 30th, and that's about it guys, go out there, make some great artwork, you guys have always done some great fanart in the past, and we're looking forward to seeing more.

loving wow. Let's go through the checklist here:

[x] Established brand that has money (they can afford 45k for a gameshow) asking for on-spec work
[x] Effectively asking you to work for free. The $100 is a pittance, especially if you assume the Expected Value is only $100 / number of entrants. $5?
[x] Insisting you prove you're a worthy artist by sending them your portfolio. Your professional portfolio. They want professionals for this!
[x] To go onto a for-profit product
[x] Offering to pay in exposure.
[x] Backhanded comment about "fanart".

The sheer level of arrogance and exploitation seeping from that announcement-- wow. Any chance we can condense this down to 140 characters for @forexposure_txt?

I also love how, even if this was a worth endeavor, it was shoved at the end of a filler episode that I bet almost none of you watched-- and even if you did no one watched to the end. Marketing!

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Mraagvpeine posted:

Dude, I get that you don't like Doug and feel very insulted, but I think you're going overboard with it. I mean, did you literally type down everything Doug said in those 3 minutes?

Interesting that literally nothing you typed is true. But good for you for replying. That's an achievement.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Mraagvpeine posted:

Oh, I'm sorry for being completely wrong. Clearly you like Doug and was so inspired by his video that you had to share it with the thread. Is that better?

I wouldn't say it's better or worse. Just a different type of wrong. It's a lateral move, but hey, at least you're moving. Good job!

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Miss Wallace posted:

Was the "Druze" thing actually typed by Doug or did Lorne just transcribe what he said?

That's my transcription error, but I'm pretty sure he says "Drews" instead of "Drew". That may have just been him pluralizing the wrong part of the name. "Drew's".

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Benny the Snake posted:

Then in your opinion, what should be the going rate for a high-quality art piece that would compensate the artist at a cost-of-living wage?

At the very least-- the number of hours it takes to complete and deliver the piece * the minimum wage. That piece is going to take 10-20 hours, at least. Not counting for time spent designing, going back-and-forth on plans, incorporating client changes, etc. That rate can go up dramatically depending on the complexity, timeline, and skill-level of the artist. They want a two week turnaround from a professional, for a detailed piece. $50-$100 / hour is not unheard of. They should have just put up a posting saying "send us your portfolio. We'll commission an artist we like, and negotiate a rate". And then put aside up to $2k for the piece.

But $100?!?

Would you do whatever work you do, at a skilled, professional level, for $5-$10 / hour (before taxes)?

Would you do all that work for the CHANCE to be paid $5-$10 / hour for it? Keep in mind, if 100 other people apply, you only have a 1/100 chance of actually getting paid.

So would you do 20 hours of labour, for a 1% chance to maybe be paid half-to-a-third of minimum wage in most places?

(By "you", I mean the generic You, not Benny the Snake specifically).

And would you do it for a company that brought in $90k for the express purpose of paying to produce new products?

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Mraagvpeine posted:

Depending on the movie/play this could be ironic.

If we glitches have offended,
Geek Squad this, and all is mended.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

BigRed0427 posted:

I was just wondering, what sites do you guys go to for game reviews? I figured this would be a good place to ask.

I wait several years until a good game bubbles through the public consciousness by osmosis. I then buy it from a used bargain bin for <$10.

It's a system. It works for me.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Just saw this posted on Twitter:

1) Someone has to be a real rear end in a top hat to hack Brad. Oh wait, 4chan. There's my answer.
2) Since Brad is probably monitoring pain killers and not Twitter, if this is legit, and anyone here has his phone number, maybe pass it on?

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

dijon du jour posted:

BTW Brad's posting about it on Twitter now and he seems to have things taken care of.

How do we know that isn't a cunning false flag? A false false flag-- so-- umm-- a flag?

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Miss Wallace posted:

Eh, most internet reviewer types get compared to Brad, it's this weird thing.

Not so weird. I saw the review for Asylum's Sherlock Holmes. Brad had a real connection with you.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Gianthogweed posted:

I don't remember the nambla episode of south park having a "maybe the answer lies somewhere in the middle" type lesson.

JOKE REPLY: The answer lies somewhere in the middle of a sweet little boy's thighs, obviously.

ACTUAL REPLY: People tend to paint philosophies with broad strokes, and ignore all evidence that contradicts their neat stereotype.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

achillesforever6 posted:

Holy loving poo poo Doug is mad that Jurassic World wasn't rated R and not gory, what the gently caress :psyboom:

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

PiedPiper posted:

The only thing worse than One More Day is people who just can't let One More Day go.

The only thing worse than Thunderdome...

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Shiran posted:

Pretty funny but I wish it wasn't so short. I'm also getting a bit tired with Star Wars. How much longer will Starcade continue?

I like the videos; they've got the type of humor you'd expect from JonTron. I , too, wish they weren't so short.

But the thing that really makes me whaaaaaa... is-- well, did he actually build that entire, complex, functioning set, from scratch-- using materials and monies-- just to film a series of 1 minute non-reviews of 30 year old games no one has ever heard of?

whaaaa

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Zedd posted:

(There are just very few top X things worth watching)

Could you provide a list? Perhaps define "X", so I know how many there will be. Maybe present them in numerical order?

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Celery Face posted:

Todd's got a new video out on Patreon and it's on Dear Future Husband by Megan Trainor.

First time I heard that was at the dance studio, during another class' warmup. It was a tap class, with mostly elderly ladies, so I assumed it was one of their songs.

Me: Jeez, 50s songs had some really misogynistic lyrics

My wife: {checks phone} that song was released in 2014...

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

johnfw50 posted:

Speaking of movies when is the AT4W movie coming out?

Just barely. He has his own website and it seems like it takes weeks for his new episodes to be uploaded to CA.

I highly recommend following him on Twitter. You'll get way better notification of new episodes. And his tweets are sharp, insightful, and very witty.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Rebochan posted:

Seconded -

Thirdeded -- I think the turning point was the Quantum Leap novel. The sense of "bowled over by WTF and you guys have to hear about it" energy really came through.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Puppy Time posted:

The kind of "character reviewer" thing is an interesting development. I don't know whether it's ultimately a good or bad thing, though I like it best when it's something that spices up an otherwise fairly straightforward review, without really getting in the way of things. A few throwaway gags and lines here and there, rather than costumes and props and silly fight scenes.

Like all creative projects, it's a risk. You might gain notoriety, or stand out from the crowd, or please people with the extra layer of content. Or you might alienate some of your audience, or put a barrier to entry for new viewers.

There's been some reviewers I've absolutely loved because of the skits/characters (though only when backed up by a solid review, of course). There's been others that front-loaded their video with a 5+ minute sketch full of inside jokes and side characters (before they even getting to the movie they were reviewing!), and that turned me off them-- or at the very least, by the time I actually got in the review, they were trying to impress me from a deficit.

On the other hand, there's been some reviewers who were just straight "talk at a camera" who I couldn't stand-- but I'd attribute that to a lack of entertainment value period (no charisma, no energy, no unique opinion), rather than a lack of skits or characters.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

DStecks posted:

FAKE EDIT: Also gently caress when people forget to capitalize the S in DStecks. :argh:

Sorry about that DsteckS, won't happen again.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

DStecks posted:

My Bacon number is three. I was in Dirk Dangerous with Aidan Shipley, who was in Red Lights with Robert De Niro, who was in Sleepers with Kevin Bacon.

Hmm... I was an extra in the video for Reframed by The Headstones, fronted by Hugh Dillon.

Hugh Dillon was in Flashpoint, co-starring Jessica Steen

Jessica Steen was "Pilot" on Captain Power and the Soldiers of the Future

Which was written by J. Michael Straczynski, who also wrote Thor

Thor starred Kimberly Evan, who was also in R.I.P.D.... with Kevin Bacon

So that's what, 5? I'm sure I can do better, but this path takes me through a proto Babylon 5, so I'm happy.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

KKall posted:

And him being him, he whipped up his audience into a "Kyle is a Dick" party.

Blah. I recently read a theory on Liana K's feed-- like buttons make online discourse worse, because people who like something will hit that button, while people who hate it, lacking a button, will leave a comment/send a tweet/etc. The overall effect is that the visible comments concentrate the hate.

So I'll try to balance things out by saying: both my wife and I like your videos, Kyle. They're great. And we recently got her father hooked on them by showing him all the Shakespeare Month/Summer videos. His favorite show is Slings & Arrows-- so that should give you an idea to the level of enjoyment he got from your series. =)

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Arcsquad12 posted:

So what did Kyle do that has them all in a fuss?

I can't remember if you're a troll account or not, so I'll risk a feeding: loving seriously? Unless that was just some poor word choices, victim blaming? Really? Really really for sure really?

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

DStecks posted:

today I learned that wanting to know why something happened = victim blaming

Like I said, unless it was a poor choice of words, it is victim blaming.
"Someone innocent just got attacked"
"Really, what did they do to provoke the attack?"

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Sidenote: not to re-de-rerail the thread, but re the "victim blaming" thing from two pages back that everyone else has already forgotten about but has been bugging me all day: Sorry if I picked a poor choice of words. I saw the original "what did Kyle do...", and if I misread that as blaming him (rather that Lord Katniss and his band of hungry randos), then mea culpa.

Apologies (and apologies for redrailing again {and apologies for apologizing too much <and apologies for not closing all these brackets>)

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Cyron posted:

I am 100% sure the tommy westphall cannon is just a fun game like the keven bacon game.

The Westphall theory always felt like one of those games, where a designer on the team includes some innocuous game mechanic, and it's completely overlooked by all the other designers and QA and playtesters and the majority of players of the game. Then one person realizes a combo with that mechanic that completely breaks the entire game. Like, instant-win, unblockable, everyone has to play it or lose broken.

So they had to nerf it so that instead of destroying all of reality as we know it (or more accurately, as Tommy dreamt it), The Westphall Theory is now "just a fun game".

#Truth

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Hate to "um, actually" a discussion about continuity nitpicking, but um actually the Westphall theory goes back to 1999-2000 in alt.tv.homicide. I'd find the original thread, but I can't be arsed to deal with Google's newsgroup "interface". Your linked article even mentions the original discussions (websites now defunct).

That article may have adopted the Westphall Theory, but our entire reality as Tommy knows it was born into it.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Cyron posted:

it also helps that there was a alternate ending to the show that links 5 others shows done by the game guy like homicide and cheers, but it was dished when the main guy that is the head of homicide at the time said that he didn't want his show be a kids dream.

Counterpoints:

St. Elsewhere links to Star Trek, which includes DS9, which includes "Far Beyond The Stars", that heavily implies the entire "real world" is a dream by an alternate universe Sisko-- insane in an institution and dreaming of Star Trek. It's a dream in a dream.

Which seems convoluted, except... there are shows that are "dreams" of Tommy that themselves mention St. Elsewhere, which means that St. Elsewhere itself is a dream dreaming of itself.

Or, as the Universe has retconned (to prevent collapsing on itself), it's all just a joke on a newsgroup.

And that newsgroup now exists as an archive in a Google Group, which itself is a breath away from Google's new Dreaming AI...

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

The Vosgian Beast posted:

You see this?

This is where the people who care live.

4100pxx4100px ?!?

Is that image actual size?

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

KKall posted:

If that's how people will react to any toy skull, I'm worried about how the toy skull I've been working on for the past month is going to be received.

Alas, poor Horatio, you got flesh-eaten by SJW feminist liberals!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Infamous Sphere posted:

I think it really depends on what kind of a Canadian accent it is.

"Kind?" Nah. Up here, we all sound like Phelous. The coffee-counter guy? Phelous. Traffic cop writing a ticket? Phelous. Prime Minister addressing the Queen? Phelous.

(Sidenote: The Queen also sounds like Phelous, but that's just a coincidence)

• Locked thread