Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!
Even if we aren't going to expand the list in the OP, there's one producer/goon we shouldn't leave out: Cecil Trachenburg of Good Bad Flicks, who has posted in this thread (well, previous threads) before. He does good stuff, both in his general reviews and other videos like his deconstruction series (I know his "WTF happened to PG-13?" video was popular).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

Ghostpilot posted:

Check five post up. :cheeky:

Oops. Well, Cecil's worth mentioning twice, I s'pose. :)

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

BigRed0427 posted:

NOw I kind of want to watch Ishtar.

Comedy Central used to show Ishtar a decent amount when I was a kid. It's bad. (But not, like, that bad.)

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

Miss Wallace posted:

I'm so amped to get to the Gilligan's Island one you don't even know.

I forgot that this was in Season 2. SO CLOSE!

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

It was touching. I only met Justin in passing once for a moment, so I can't speak as someone who knew him at all, but you could tell that they poured their hearts and souls into the movie. And so many people shared stories about him after the movie - there weren't many dry eyes in the room.

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

Miss Wallace posted:

Thanks for the support on the first Movie Nights ep! Filmed another one today on a terrible sasquatch movie.

It's not...that one we were talking about at MAGFest, is it? :ohdear:

OrangeKing fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Jan 30, 2015

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

Miss Wallace posted:

I'm not sure which one we talked about at Mag, ha ha. The movie's Big and Hairy. ;)

I just wanted to make sure it wasn't the DeCoteau one (1313: Bigfoot Island). If only because I don't think anyone could talk about it for more than five minutes or so. :) It was, to say the least, not one of the three-or-so good Bigfoot movies in history.

OrangeKing fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jan 30, 2015

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

Mraagvpeine posted:

I've heard people talk about Libertarians, but I keep hearing different things. Who are they and what do they stand for?

Libertarians generally want as small a government as possible with as few laws as possible, seeing virtually all laws as restrictions of freedom. They love free markets, and many see taxation as theft. They would like to see a lot of government services done away with, and some are for privatizing basically everything: why have government maintain infrastructure, offer schools, or provide fire and police departments when the free market can do it itself at fair market value?

That was about as neutral a description as I could give (it's about ethics in ideological journalism). You can, of course, extrapolate from there, and the link in the post above mine is very illuminating.

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

Keromaru5 posted:

Yeah, my friend is self-employed for entirely different reasons (runs a nonprofit), and taxes have bitten him pretty hard.

Also, I think these taxes are normally done quarterly.

Yeah, it can be pretty brutal. And really, it's only the Social Security and Medicare hit that really makes it bad - otherwise my taxes would feel very reasonable. But as both employer and employee...welp, that's a flat 14.9% on every dollar you make, regardless of income (up until the cap, which is up around $118,000 - on income after that, you don't pay SS, so that's a sweet deal if you're making well into six-figures). So even if you're not making much more than you need to get by and your effective income tax rate is quite low, those fixed costs are something we self-employed folk all have to account for.

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

Infamous Sphere posted:

I know people aren't always fond of Film Brain, but I think he's a genuinely good person (he's always been absolutely lovely on Twitter) who always puts in a lot of work into his reviews and opinions, and whenever he releases a video you know it's going to be really thorough. I rate him.

Film Brain is great. I played on a pub quiz team with him once at MAGFest! Twas a good time.

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!
If I could pick a One Hit Wonder subject, I'd want Todd to do Harvey Danger. Is anything other than "Flagpole Sitta" worth listening to? Do they even exist outside of this song?

I mean, of course the answer to that is yes, but they are definitely up there in terms of how huge a gap there is between their most popular song and whatever is #2 for them.

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!
I got...Betty Davis Eyes, by Kim Carnes. Not a favorite of mine to be sure, but not embarrassing either.

Also:

Jay O posted:

Wait, what?

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!
Allison once got me to watch an episode of the Irate Gamer's paranormal investigation show, "Haunted Investigators." It is truly one of the best/worst things I've ever seen, and could be a low-rent parody of all of the ghost investigation shows that have been on television over the years if it wasn't so earnest.

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

Calaveron posted:

And I think Patreon takes their cut of the money AFTER taxes so 1 thousand dollars in Patreon isn't actually very much but still too for some of these people.

That can't be right - there's no way Patreon is withholding taxes for creators, as convenient as that would be.

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

Arcsquad12 posted:

Holy poo poo, Mitch versus a loving Yakuza samurai!?

Not just any Yakuza, but the greatest recurring villain in Baywatch history!

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

achillesforever6 posted:

I remember someone posted that Wil Wheton show where they play tabletop RPG and party games and found out that also on that website there is a DnD show with some of the best Voice Actors in the industry today

http://geekandsundry.com/critical-role-episode-1/

Here's the cast:
Matthew Mercer - DM
Liam O'Brien - Vax'Ildan the Half-Elf Rogue
Laura Bailey - Vex'Ahlia the Half-Elf Ranger
Travis Willingham - Grog the Goliath Barbarian
Taliesin Jaffe - Percey the Human Gunslinger
Marisha Ray - Keyleth the Half-Elf Druid
Orion Acaba - Tiberius the Dragonborn Sorcerer
Sam Riegel - Scanlan the Gnome Bard
Ashley Johnson - Pike the Gnome Cleric

Maybe one day Laura and Travis can get Troy Baker to guest star :swoon:

I've watched a bit of this live on Twitch, and it can be surprisingly entertaining even if (like me) you're not really into role playing games.

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!
I find that unless you would blend in with the characters in the SNL "J-Pop American Fun Time Now" sketches, you're okay in my book.

That was fun!

OrangeKing fucked around with this message at 23:11 on May 21, 2015

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

nine-gear crow posted:

I saw the Multiplication Rap video on the wheel and cringed. I watched it in elementary school during a math class and even back then, as a literal ignorant child I thought it was painfully awkward and terrible.

Even with that lovely sing song tape and two hours of grannies shifting about on stage, they still dodged a loving bullet there.

I've owned one Wheel of the Worst video in my life: Video Catnip. Relatives had it, and gave it to me for my cat (I was like 8 at the time, so I didn't know any better).

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!
I saw Jurassic World, and thought it was pretty fun. I give it three stars.

I just critiqued something on the Internet; feel free to discuss it in this thread!

Miss Wallace posted:

I think people don't give Hasselhoff enough credit for his acting, because I have seen him give some great performances (Even on Baywatch!). I'm in the minority here, but I loved his performance in Jekyll and Hyde the Musical. But the Hoff is at his best when smothered in cheese, and that's why Baywatch is great.

I never saw Hasselhoff's take on the role, but he seems like he'd be a perfect fit.

OrangeKing fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Jun 13, 2015

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

Arcsquad12 posted:

Jurassic World is by far the bloodiest movie in the entire franchise. The gently caress is he on about?

I have to admit that Jurassic World wasn't as bloody as I thought it would be based on the way that point showed up almost universally in reviews. But yeah, there's no way that it is anything other than the goriest Jurassic Park movie.

And I don't think the original sauropod CGI looks terrible by any stretch even today. It's inconsistent though: some of it looks like you could get away with it in a blockbuster today, but some shots are only passable - better than what you'd find in an Asylum movie, but not up to Hollywood standards. It's the shots where actors appear in front of the dinosaurs and point at them that look bad...but that was a problem even up through the time of the Lord of the Rings movies (there's one shot of them running from the Balrog that's just awful in this regard).

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

OldMemes posted:

I picked up So Bad, It's Good 2: Electric Bookaloo for holiday reading, and rather enjoyed it. The writer seems more confident this time, and there's a good vairety of obscure material in there. Lupa, did you write the Baywatch Nights entry, or just the Baywatch one? The formatting confused me a bit there. I was suprised to learn that Baywatch Nights ran AT THE SAME TIME as the the main show. I thought it was a spin-off made after the show ended, but nope, Mitch apparently goes from being a lifeguard in the day to fighting vampires at night. :stare: Have you ever considered writing a book about bad movies, I like your writing style.

Speaking of Internet Critics and books, does anyone know if Todd has said when his book is coming out? Pat the NES Punk is doing one too, which should be interesting.

Thanks, glad you enjoyed the book! I also find it much better than the first. ;)

Sorry about the confusion over the Baywatch/Baywatch Nights authorship! Given that they fit so naturally as a pairing, I never even considered that it would also seem natural that Allison might have written both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

Yardbomb posted:

"The monitoring panel beeped frequently, and for no reason."

Someday, I aspire to steal this concept for something -- anything -- I write. It might be an examination of gambling law in Rhode Island, but I'll work it in there.

• Locked thread