Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

The translations for Kumoko are so bad that I am seriously considering starting from scratch and translating them myself. My Japanese reading ability is middling at best (although there are browser plugins to automatically look up kanji) and the main character uses a bunch of web/gaming slang that I'm not really familiar with, but at least I can understand what's going on and put together a comprehensible English sentence.

It would be hard for me to catch up to where the current translations are, though, since he's blazing through them at such a ridiculous speed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Hello I'm doing my part to make it easier to wade through the terrible garbage that we slog through:

http://blastron01.tumblr.com/tagged/kumoko/chrono

I'm hoping to get a chapter done every day. Feedback is always appreciated.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

I think I'm going to change it to "no waaaay" throughout; I really hate leaving things untranslated (Tanaka-san, you're so sugoi!) but I definitely see the need to preserve Kumoko's unique, ah, charm. Thanks for the feedback!

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Desuwa posted:

Also betting the thing with her mother was just a mistranslation.

Looks like that to me. This is actually a really tricky phrase, since Kumoko speaks extremely casually and parsing some of this is a little beyond me. マザー食ってる影響 could be translated as "the influence from eating Mother" but there's no particle indicating what relation the word "Mother" has to the word "eating". On top of that, my dictionary is telling me that 食う has sixteen different definitions, and further Googling reveals that there's a ton of expressions that use that particular verb in fairly unique ways. If I had to take a wild guess, it's probably 食う as in "to receive" (similar to 食らう, the root form of the verb used when an anime character screams "take this") and thus would be better translated as "my mother's influence".
:goonsay:

In short, gently caress this language, and I hope someone who actually knows what their doing can tell me what the real answer is.

edit:

Algid posted:

She stopped using parallel will for combat a while back (right after taboo lvl10), and D just mentioned in 149 how the way she is using it was unexpected and its basically an out of system attack (direct soul manipulation/ attack).

Now go back and read the beginning of chp135.

Ahh, how did I miss that. The simple explanation ("I'm eating Mother") makes a bunch more sense if we've got some weird Parallel Will thing going on where Kumoko is somehow remotely attacking her mother.

blastron fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Sep 9, 2015

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Captain_duck posted:

Just read up on this and its definitely way more readable. And your up to chapter 8 already, good job! Keep up the good work.

Thank you! I'll be posting a chapter every weekday for as long as I can stand it.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Serious Frolicking posted:

The latest kumoko chapters are hilarious.

"I don't have anything better to do and they keep giving me tasty snacks" is a good reason to become the protector-god of a fantasy village.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

that sounds cool/fun

shame it isn't being translated

Is it a web novel and/or does it have a digital release? I might add that to my translation queue if I can use my auto-kanji-lookup browser plugin.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

No, but seriously, is there an ebook of that "Cop-Craft DRAGNET MIRAGE RELOADED" thing? It looks awesome based on its Wikipedia page and I'd be down for translating it, but if I have to look up unknown kanji manually instead of waving my mouse over them, my pace is going to be glacial.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Yo I'm actually starting to build up enough steam with retranslating Kumoko that I might legit work on this librarian thing as well. I'll take a look this weekend to see if the first few chapters are within my meager abilities.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Thanks for linking my spider translation, Silver2195!

Namtab, if you reach the end of those and want to catch up with where most of the discussion is, there's another translator that's blazing through it far more quickly (and far less comprehensibly) than I am: http://turb0translation.blogspot.com

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Namtab posted:

I'm going to read yours seeing as it reads better although I'm gonna judge you for the banner pic

Uh that spider is kawaii as gently caress don't hate

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Okay, there's a reason nobody's translating Honzuki no Gekokujou: it is loving HUGE. The writing is actually good, and has things like "metaphor" and "imagery" and "tone" which, of course, makes translation harder, and each chapter is probably about 5 times as long as any other web novel I've seen. There's also basically been a chapter a day for three years, so nobody working at any reasonable speed will ever be able to catch up.

What I've been able to get through so far is super interesting, though, so I'm definitely going to work on translating it. Bootstrapping modern technology into pre-industrial civilizations is one of my favorite plots. It's just going to be... slow, especially if I keep up with translating Kumoko at the same time. I'm going to try to get a buffer of maybe 4 or 5 chapters together, and then, assuming I haven't given up by then, start releasing them probably once a week.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

darkgray posted:

Second chapter of the Honzuki manga is out now. Wonder if they'll keep up a weekly pace. No translations yet?

If someone wants to put together a decent scanlation team for this I'd happily translate it, but I'm not going to clean and typeset everything (to my extremely high standards) myself.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Is the third one decent or is it on par with turb0's?

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

jwang posted:

The only thing to do is to encourage Blastron to step up his translation game. He's on 40 or so I think?

Yeah, no, between five chapters of Kumoko a week and trying to build up a buffer for Honzuki, I am at the limit of time I want to spend on a hobby for free.

(I'd set up a Patreon and beg for money to work on it part-time, but charging for something that is, in part, someone else's work feels weird to me.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Tamba posted:

The LN Version of Kumoko is out next week.
Here's the cover of the first volume:

That spider's pretty moe.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Yeah I'm probably going to pick my translation work up again very soon

I haven't really kept up with the other TLs since turb0 stopped working; how'd they drop the ball? Did they just straight-up stop working on it?

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Cynic Jester posted:

Yepp. 3 groups picked it up, 2 were unreadable and the last delivers chapters with the consistency of jello.

Welp. I guess I'll get around to the new chapters... in about 10 months, assuming I keep a 5 chapter/week schedule. :shepicide:

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Oh yeah, I'm posting those on Tuesdays. I was going to wait to barge in here and wave them around until Chapter 3 hit, but please, enjoy!

http://blastron01.tumblr.com/honzuki-contents

(i swear i'll get prev/next buttons in soon)

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Thanks for reading! It really means a lot to know that people are actually reading and enjoying it.

Captain_duck posted:

In another note, it's now been over a month since Raising the dead team released any kumoko chapters. Of course they still do release "Slave Harem" about every day :suicide: And i doubt there will be a christmas miracle like they did last month.

Oh Turbo translations, how i miss you.

Blastron is still chugging away at the retranslation though, he's up to the Monkeys battle

Hey, now that I have a decent chance of catching up, maybe people will stop asking me why I'm re-translating something that's already being translated... in a year and a half :shepicide:

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Ytlaya posted:

Regarding the the LN for this, I tried to start it and found it kind of hard to read. Is the whole thing just a stream of consciousness from her perspective? I can more or less figure out what was going on, but the format was a little confusing (and the kind of lovely translation didn't help).

It is very much just stream-of-consciousness rambling. During big fight scenes it gets a lot more concrete, but 95% of it is vaguely-coherent rambling.

I don't know if there's a translation of the LN, but if you're reading the translated WN and are finding it hard to understand I'd like to take the opportunity to shamelessly plug my own, marginally less lovely translation effort at http://blastron01.tumblr.com/tagged/kumoko/chrono

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

darkgray posted:

Has anyone started translating this yet?

"My little sister got haemorrhoids, so I helped her insert the suppository"

Could someone braver than me confirm if this is a real novel or not, TIA

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

gwrtheyrn posted:

Every translator has to have a creepy LN on their site, right? right?

Yeah, it's 1 AM, I'm drunk as poo poo, why the gently caress not?

My Little Sister Got Hemorrhoids, So I Helped Her Insert The Suppository – 001

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Who actually calls their siblings "brother" or "sister" to their faces in a non-ironic manner? The means by which someone is addressed is a linguistic and cultural feature, and it really bothers me when it's translated straight instead of localized to whatever the target language uses.

(TL note: Oniisama means brother)

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

How many mouthfuls of blood do these assholes have to cough up?!

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

oh good, now i actually have a chance to catch up

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

filthychimp posted:

Wrap it up, novelailures. We've hit peak reincarnation. I was Reborn as a Vending Machine, Wandering in the Dungeon

why

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Yeah, the fighting is always just things like "Long Wang sprayed blood from his mouth as he released an astonishing aura that shook the Heavens and Earth and boomed with an archaic voice that produced an array of shocking magical items with a flick of his sleeve, but Meng Hao swept through them with a single crushing blow from the enormous power of his Cultivation base! All this took many words to describe, but happened in the space of one breath!" and to be honest my eyes start to glaze over. It's to the point where I straight-up don't care about the combat unless Meng Hao is losing, because I read that exact fight already and only the consequences are different.

And then his incredible luck and cunning kick in and it's glorious again.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

The irony of the name was literally spelled out by Meng Hao several times while he was still a member of the sect, so not translating the name would have either lost a bunch of meaning or required some real backflips. "It's ironic that our Patriarch is named Kao Shan, because he's so unreliable, and Kao Shan means reliance in Chinese!"

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

How are the translations for KonoSuba? My standards are kinda high, so if they're not great I'd rather wait for the next season of the anime than slog through poor grammar.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Cynic Jester posted:

Man, Novel Updates is going completely nuts with tags.

Age Progression Archery Arranged Marriage Assassin Assassinations Badass Bandits Beautiful Female Lead Bows Childhood Friends Fighting Hidden Ability Hidden Talent Interspatial Storage Military Nobles Older Female Younger Male Ranked by Strength Royalty Shameless Male Lead Smart Male Lead Strong Female Lead Sudden Strength Gain Swords Time Skip Wars Weak to Strong

Those are all belonging to one story.

I like how "interspatial storage" is on that list next to important setting themes like "wars" and "assassinations".

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Thanks for holding my translations in such high regard! I'm glad that my extensive background of "kinda knows Japanese and also took a couple of creative writing courses" is enough to meet everyone's expectations.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

BlitzBlast posted:

From what I've learned in my short time since becoming an editor, it's mostly the latter two.

Spoiled since I probably shouldn't be doing this:

:suicide:

There are three other editors listed, but they haven't done jack poo poo.

Jesus loving Christ. Thank you for your service. :patriot:

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

BlitzBlast posted:

Hahaha, almost all of my edits are getting rejected now for being "unnecessary".

I guess the people want poo poo english.

EDIT: I should probably be annoyed a literal week's worth of effort is getting thrown away, but I'm kind of just bemused. I wonder if the guy who's going through this entire document rejecting everything actually thinks the original script was fine?

Lol, just quit, then. They don't deserve a good editor if they're just going to disregard everything you say.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

If your work is going to get thrown off to the side by the people you're doing it for, don't do it. The fact that they published it as an "unnecessary edit version" is almost more insulting than if they'd just rejected it outright.

Your goal of trying to get more people reading is very laudable, but I don't think you'll accomplish much of that by working with this particular group of translators.

(Plus, if the number of people who read my Kumoko translation is any indication, the market for translations that aren't machine-TL'd garbage isn't very large.)

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Ytlaya posted:

If by "being literate" you're referring to Ascension of a Bookworm then I strongly disagree, that LN owns (well, to be fair so far it seems less like a "path to ultimate power" and more like "path to not hopefully not living in dire poverty at some undetermined point in the future").

Reading a lot of books is also literally Maine's least applicable setting advantage right now, since she's accomplished literally zero of her complicated plans. Instead, she's used her modern knowledge to make pancakes, weave baskets, and check someone's arithmetic. The most educated thing she's done was introduce a method for further purifying animal tallow to make less-stinky candles.

Maine is the worst protagonist and it's so refreshing to read this kind of story.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

What was the name of that one where the NEET, his dog, and his entire house got sucked into an alternate world, but he still had utilities and Internet access so he documented his journey on 2ch? I kinda liked that one, but forgot entirely about it until just now.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

I wonder if Meng Hao is ever going to actually ask about why Demon Hearts are so valuable, or if he's just going to convert them to spirit stones without a second thought.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Of course his loving Severing is the Dao of Independence and of COURSE he's severing the Resurrection Lily as part of that. Whoever it was that said that Meng Hao put max ratings in Luck at character creation was completely right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Why is WN translation a race to the bottom? Why do people even put up with any of this? Is reading I Died In My Sleep So Now I Am The Dream King In That MMO I Used To Play really worth slogging through absurdly terrible translations? Why doesn't anyone have any standards? Why do I even bother trying to read anything new??

Basically the only thing I'm reading right now is ISSTH because I can't stand reading anything that was either translated by a machine, written by someone with a shaky grasp on English, or both. (Also, this thread doesn't talk about anything else, so I don't actually know what else is good.)

• Locked thread