Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

started ISSTH on a whim, it definitely does feel different from Overpowered Bullshit rear end in a top hat Man #245. I think the author actually knows where that line between "charmingly ridiculous" and "boring" is, which is like the biggest rarity ever in these stories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

So, ISSTH in a nutshell:

Double Super Amazing Invincible Heavenly Godman: INSIGNIFICANT ANT, YOU ARE NOTHING TO ME I SHALL- where'd all my poo poo go
Meng Hao: :zoid: woopwoopwoopwoopwoopwoop

it's kind of rad

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

I'm at the Crow Divinity Holy Land Fishing Jamboree. There seemed to be a lull in Shenanigans after the Golden Light stuff but oh my god is Meng Hao ever making up for lost time.

EDIT: "As for why it hadn’t manifested its true majesty, perhaps it was because he hadn’t acquired enough of them yet." hahahaha amazing

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Apr 26, 2016

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

blastron posted:

Yeah, the fighting is always just things like "Long Wang sprayed blood from his mouth as he released an astonishing aura that shook the Heavens and Earth and boomed with an archaic voice that produced an array of shocking magical items with a flick of his sleeve, but Meng Hao swept through them with a single crushing blow from the enormous power of his Cultivation base! All this took many words to describe, but happened in the space of one breath!" and to be honest my eyes start to glaze over. It's to the point where I straight-up don't care about the combat unless Meng Hao is losing, because I read that exact fight already and only the consequences are different.

And then his incredible luck and cunning kick in and it's glorious again.

Yeah I'm experiencing that. After like fightsfightsfightsfightsfights my eyes start to glaze over, but then Meng Hao receives the sacred power of booze and starts stealing floor tiles and it's incredible again.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Yawn. More boring fights. I guess there's nothing interesting lef-

quote:

As soon as she saw that he was backing up, she quickly called out, “Don’t go anywhere!”

If she hadn’t said anything, he wouldn’t have left. However, as soon as she spoke, he turned on his heel and began to flee.

Shenanigans! :swoon:

ISSTH is a roller coaster.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

DeafAsianQT posted:

If chapter 189 is the song clan gathering and everyone points at meng hao and go "YOU!" That remains my favorite chapter

I love when we get Meng Hao Reunion Tours because I always forget just how many people he's pissed off until they all show up again.

Also the amount of parallels between Meng Hao and Meng Hao's Turtle shown in recent chapters is actually pretty interesting, they both share the same disdain from being held down by the strong just because they're strong and are both totally shameless assholes. The difference is in the destination, Meng Hao wants to be strong so he can be free, while Turtle wants to be strong so he can do the holding down. Meng Hao also refuses to let go of that last shred of human(/turtle) decency while Turtle revels in being a shitlord.

Some a+ shenanigans as well.

On translators/editors, some of them seem to get weirdly huge egos for some reason and it seems like a total crapshoot. I've only seen The Coolest People or Obnoxious Dickheads and absolutely nothing in-between.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

The Sandman posted:

Of all the directions I thought ISSTH might take, "Pokemon fanfic" wasn't one of them.

Meng Hao's Torterra is pretty good.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

dipple posted:

When Meng Hao first became a muscle wizard maintaining that state was eating years off his lifespan for every breathe he had it activated, but now he's just running it 24/7. Did I miss a paragraph that mentioned solving that issue? Or was it just an unmentioned side effect of all the upgrades he got in the last arc.

The Kaio-Ken x9 9th Anima still kicks his rear end if it's used for more than a split-second, you might be thinking of the fleshly body stuff which is just being Real Strong with no drawbacks. He did pop a couple longevity pills somewhere in there though.

Silynt posted:

I think it was a hand-wavey "and he has pills that extend his longevity so no problem after all". It's kind of stupid that the author would introduce that gimmick as a drawback to his strength and then never have it come into play at all, so maybe it'll be relevant in the future.

To be fair he HAS picked up a few of those pills during his adventures. It's still kind of an rear end-pull but if it leads to further shenanigans I'll allow it.

EDIT: also rampant speculation: I'm wondering if the Time Swords he buried are the Immortal Murdering Swords he has now, the numbers add up(4+1 copy) and that's the kind of ridiculous karmic ~destiny~ that Meng Hao lives by.

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 17:11 on May 11, 2016

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

The Sandman posted:

They were pretty good. To say the least.

I'm now at the part where Meng Hao reunites with his first intentional victim as he enters the Grand Line in search of One Piece. I should be caught up some time tomorrow.

money

don't give it up meng hao

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

I like how Meng Hao's totally forgotten about the grave danger in favor of the cartoon dollar signs branded onto his eyeballs.

I also like how he seemed to have prepared those bags beforehand for just such an occasion. These are my connin' bags.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Zwingley posted:

I mean, it's only the first volume that's out over here right now, so the content is still relatively inoffensive. The book ends before we even get to the weird lecture Tatsuya gives Miyuki about filthy poors or whatever.

The best way to read Mahouka is don't and wait for literary dogshit connoisseur Serious Frolicking to bring up the newest loving insane piece of trivia from it and laugh. That way you don't have to read 500 pages of boring and still get superior Japanese supermen making GBS threads on the poor, mass-murdering the Chinese while triumphant music swells in the background, giving Hawaii back to it's rightful owners(Japan)(??????), and hating the gays.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Well there IS kinda one trump card still: Resurrection Lily Shenanigans. That's about the only thing I can think of though.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Neurophage posted:

He
1)is totally okay with owning slaves
2)has a pet whose subordinates killed hundreds of mortals
3)tortured a guy to death and let his whole family get sold to slavery
4)destroyed the souls of some guys who killed his uncle(who he never met) and injured his mother
5)was responsible for the extermination of an entire sect that was no threat to him
6)is associating with a serial rapist

Note that I do not disagree with your statement

Well he's not a serial rapist himself! That's like morality, I guess.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Severing emotion gets brought up again, I'm wondering what Meng Hao's gonna sever his last two times. Regret's been hinted at but he's also explicitly said that severing emotion is abhorrent to him so I dunno.

It'll probably be something like five dollars and because of Meng Hao's stinginess it will be like losing a limb and grant him unimaginable power. But he will never have those five dollars again.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

ISSTH: The answer, as anyone could figure out, was Xianxia Bob Ross.

Obviously.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Yeah, there's a difference between PKing some dude for calling you a fag and roasting someone's soul in eternal hellfire while eating their family because they refused you for 1/1000000th of a second.

There IS a similarity there though. Ultima Online was the first Xianxia, discuss.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

brainwrinkle posted:

I really like that Xu Qing saved Meng Hao. It's really cute :kimchi:

And now he gets the chance to show his devotion to her.

e: also the Black Sieve sect continues to be an awesome concept, and I love that Meng Hao's best power is now "mountains".

I like how the logical conclusion to that was apparently building a quaint log cabin and living a modest life together.

At the foot of loving Mount Doom.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Lyon posted:

This arc of ISSTH is starting to drag a bit like the western desert arc. Murder a bunch of people and then sever your devilishness already!

We're currently in the "boring fights" phase of ISSTH, leave it be for a while and there'll be Shenanigans again.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

ISSTH watch: oh poo poo a sudden left turn into shenanigans

it's a two-for-one special, the one bit of battle shenanigans allowed in Wait, That Previous Jobber Was A Big Deal Somewhere? and a bonus Khorne's Loanshark.

Also meeting his True Rival Of Supreme Destiny! Meng Hao barely realizes he even exists.

EDIT: somehow this has become incredible very, very quickly

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Jun 13, 2016

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Serious Frolicking posted:

I finally got around to reading mahouka v16. I didn't think that anything would top the scene in v15 where Miyuki was horrified to learn that incest is in fact bad, but I guess I was far, far too naive. To sum it up Tatsuya and Miyuki are now engaged. They are still siblings, but their crazy aunt decided to falsely claim Tatsuya was really her son instead for the express purpose of legitimizing their incestuous relationship. This is honestly the most sympathetic Tatsuya the smug libertarian robot has ever been, because he is seriously weirded out by all this and remains completely uninterested in schtupping his sister.

The Mahouka Report is still the best, you're doing the lord's work.

It's kinda weird how hard the author is gunning for that considering every other opinion he has. Then again I guess that's the extreme endpoint of SUPERIOR JAPANESE GENES so ???

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

I like it.

In other news, Men Hoa is still swindling people. The last few chapters have been nothing but epic fighting, and then Meng Hao swindles out of the blue. Did not see that coming.

He also did it earlier when while everyone was gazing reverently/dashing madly for the soul he just started mugging people on his way there. It was great.

We're probably going to have to wait for Third Severing to get any real shenanigans going though.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Meme Emulator posted:

Hello, Fellow Daoists. It looks like this is the only thread on SA where people are talking about ISSTH, but Book 1 was good poo poo.

welcome to the land of shenanigans and dumb bullshit, we hope you enjoy your stay

(issth rules)

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Yeah, remember that the last boring fightathon suddenly switched gears to "Meng Hao steals divine roof shingles for ultimate power", it comes in waves.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

drilldo squirt posted:

I've always read these things as looking into the writers perfect world where they are bad rear end as hell and everyone either loves them or gets their rear end kicked.

this is easily the funniest summary i've seen on that front

quote:

Shou is reborn as Will, a noble’s son in a world where magic use is common and involves knowledge of kanji characters. With all his memories, he’s a brilliant toddler, and when he experiments with magic, he finds that he has an amazing talent for it! What’s more, though he was smart but unloved in his old life, in his new life he has a mother and a father who both love him deeply.

And he's appreciated for his MASSIVE BRAIN, DAD :qq:

yes i sometimes randomly click around novelupdates for amusing/soul-crushing summaries, why do you ask

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Catching up a bit and oh my god ISSTH

quote:

Meng Hao’s heart pounded as he waited for a few moments. Seeing that there was no further reaction, he relaxed a bit, then looked around craftily one more time.

“The floor tiles here are excellent,” he thought, licking his lips. “Later on, I think I’ll pry up a few to take with me. And the wood those shelves are made from is anything but ordinary….

“Those decorative tiles are nice too!” His eyes shone brightly as he took a deep breath.

it seems to only get amazing when I look away

EDIT: chapters later he's still lamenting the loss of those precious floor tiles and shelves

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Aug 28, 2016

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Cynic Jester posted:

The thing about Xianxia is that the goodguy murderhobo protags are viewed positively by everyone except antagonists. No one ever goes "You murdered an entire family branch in cold blood, including women and children? A tad excessive, don't you think?"

Whereas in ISSTH everyone who interacts with Meng Hao realizes he's a conniving used car salesman in pretty short order. Sure, they might still like him, but the bad stuff isn't glossed over.

Also Meng Hao actually has a shred of human decency, even at his lowest there are things he will absolutely never stoop to. Meanwhile Joe Xianxia will brutalize an entire continent because some random dude accidentally tripped him and the world will praise him for it.

Meng Hao does have his share of overreaction to minor slights, but those tend to take the form of wacky cartoon shenanigans.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Arkeus posted:

It's still viewed positively though? Like, they aren't liking he did it, but they almost always think he is great for doing it.

It's kind of 50/50, some people are impressed by him but there's a lot of people who really really loving hate Meng Hao(usually because he killed a family member and/or stole their poo poo). But they've also seen that forcing a physical confrontation is a bad idea, so the best thing you can do is cut your losses and back off ASAP(which one dude did recently and it worked).

The point is that the story doesn't fall over itself trying to justify Meng Hao's more morally questionable actions. Most people acknowledge that Meng Hao is both impressive and kind of a total dick.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

I like the implication that Meng Hao's dad was a little hell-raiser until he fell in love with his wife(who probably conned/kicked his rear end beforehand)

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

It's another on the pile of "decent story that didn't actually need to be reincarnation"

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

ATTE is real good.

[ch 65]I like how there's this loving obituary about Bai Xiaochun's ~noble spirit~ then we cut to him talking poo poo to/being terrified of a ghost

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Sep 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

blastron posted:

Really hoping that ATTE swings back around from shocking observations of the main character's unheard-of strength and goes back to shenanigans.

give him time, there's no sign that we're going on a ISSTH style 100 chapter boring fight journey

EDIT: though yeah ISSTH was mostly shenanigans for a good while until Meng Hao started getting stronger, then it was about shocking techniques with sometimes (really good) shenanigans

• Locked thread