Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I may burn 20 bucks for this game simply to experience it with goons. Probably would be wiser to just listen in on CTS, but I am bad with money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
So the air drops are basically slot machines? Might get something good, might not get crap? They did this with swg back in the day with the TCG if I remember right

I gotta admit, watching reddit and meganerds elsewhere freak out about the p2w thing is hilarious.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
See, that's kind of Smed's out: they aren't selling weapons, they are selling the chance to get one. His "if you find like it, don't buy it" is hilarious to me because isn't the game going to be f2p after EA?

Is EA going to be up for a while? I would assume so, since they all probably take EA money right up to the day the game officially goes live

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

SuicideSnowman posted:

I can see once the server issues settle down people forming groups of guys who do nothing but wait for air drops to pillage.

Goon Raiders.

Make it happen.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

The Duggler posted:

I'm pretty sure you're in the minority here, exploding crates sounds awesome.

Its like that Ren and Stimpy episode..."Who knows whats in it? Maaaaaybe something good? Maaaaaybe something bad!"

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Bardeh posted:

Why is the character animation such rear end? Even in their trailer on Steam it just looks loving awful. If I was a game developer that would be the first thing I made sure was on point - it makes the game look amateurish and clunky.

This is what has puzzled me more than anything. SOE has, our had, some really great mocap technology 10 years ago. What happened to it?

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
At least the lighting tech looks quite good

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I so want to jump into this but have gotten spoiled with my PS4/controller rather than m/kb. Does the game even have controller support? I'm guessing no since so many other things are broken or not implemented. I know I would be at a disadvantage to m/kb players but I really don't care.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Ended up buying it. I've been tooling around on a PvE server but am planning to move to Requiem in a day or so after getting used to the controls.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Seems to be less terrible than DayZ.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Will be on TideSA tonight on Requiem. Please don't shoot me :jihad:

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
After Action Report
H1Z1 Day 1:
I awoke in a field, with nothing but my wits and the clothes on my back. After using the sun to gain my bearings, I began the trek to Mogoondishu. I ran and ran, collecting sticks and blackberries asking the way. Spotting a potential foe coming my way, I hid in the bushes but they spotted me. I recognized them as a goon and as they wailed on me with their fists, I yelled out IMMA GOON and they stopped. We resumed our journey together and after a brisk run, we fell upon Mogoondishu.

Hooray!

All the blackberries I ate earlier apparently caused my digestive system to overload and I began pooping violently near a zombie (I pressed a button that kind of caused me to squat). Unable to stop midpoop (I couldn't find whichever button I pressed to put me in a defenseless position), aforementioned zombie took a bite from my neck I couldn't recover from.

I died.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Hipster Occultist posted:

Did you actually die while taking a poo poo?

Yup.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Hybridfusion posted:

That is how these games work and will be the same everywhere you go once you piss off the locals.

Yup. We are going to build and lose Goonlandia / Mogoondishu / Detroit so many times it's not even funny. We cannot retreat from this server because of fedora wearing redditors. The PVST will be strong and vigilant.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I've found that short of playing with goons, the best way to play is to not to try to establish anything. Get a bow, get some blackberries, pick a direction, and go hunting pubbies. If you find any weapons, awesome. But don't get too attached to them because you WILL lose them.

Some weird stuff going on, though. Are aimbots and such a thing already for h1z1?

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Lou Takki posted:

lol, my experience was: "I need some good stuff", "Okay, here you go!"

That was my experience as well.

SOMEBODY had to take point and start herding all the cats on meth (i.e. goons). The "overlords" spent a whole bunch of time building goonbase 1.0 and getting the gear alot of were given (only to die and have it looted off our cold corpses by hackers). The only thing that was said that could remotely be construed as spergy micromanagement or overlording was "don't take all the ammo and good stuff (because you'll die and all that stuff you don't need will be gone too)".

It was actually really sage advice because I promptly died 45 minutes later.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I keep forgetting to discover the blackberry juice recipe...

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I think its blackberries and purified water. I've never seen sugar, so no idea.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Is it possible to build up walls and or reinforcements around the static houses and neighborhoods? Some of them have what I think is indestructible privacy or otherwise fencing around them which could make for only one way in/out areas that could be reinforced somehow.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I've come across some random houses or structures off the beaten path that is out of the way that may work. Would make running across the map to find pubbies to kill a bit more time consuming but on the plus side, it would (maybe) less likely to be found and more of a pain in the rear end for pubbies/redditors to go after. I plan on doing some scouting tonight and maybe look for some ideas.

Too bad each server doesn't have some sort of randomness to it...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Atheist Sunglasses posted:

I like the map size as is, just for the love of god let me shoot out of glass windows already.

I think on some windows you can?

• Locked thread