Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Safety Dance posted:

The old cast iron thread was only 21 pages. I guess someone must have let it soak in the sink, and it got rusty.

But there was no OP.

I think barring a fancy schmancy pants sous vide, a reverse sear is the best way to cook a thicker steak, and there's even less smoke than a normal cook-with-cast-iron steak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

shankerz posted:

Lobster is amazing when cooked on cast iron with butter. As covered a little in the old thread. I'm curious how fish does and other shellfish like shrimp or crab?

I think Lobster is just amazing with butter, no matter the pan type. In this instance I'd probably hesitate to even use a cast iron pan, just because I could control the temperature better in a thinner pan. I pan fry a lot of trout and salmon and I guess tilapia whenever I accidentally pick that up from Trader Joe's, and it seems to do just fine. I've also made a few thai and Hungarian soups/curries with cubes of fish and it comes out fantastic in a dutch oven.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Jan 15, 2015

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

net work error posted:

Preheating cast iron in the over rather than a burner, yes or no?

Either, or. Doesn't matter. If you're going to use the oven, that's the way to go, since you'll want it up to temp anyway, but if you're just using the oven to preheat the pan...eh, I'd not bother.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I cook tomatoes and other silly poo poo in one of my cast iron dutch ovens (my only one, actually) and it has never had an issue. I've also cooked tomatoey stuff and sugary pies/desserts in my large cast iron skillet with no deleterious effect.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

shankerz posted:

Ok so the wife went out today and bought two 12 inch cast iron pans. One has the raised up grill bars on the pan and the other is flat. Anyone have advice for how I should break these brand new pans in with a seasoning?

The grill bars one you can throw away.

I kid, I kid, of course, but I've never really cared for the superficial grill marks. Clean up isn't that different, though, but I prefer my food to get completely in contact with the pan's surface for cooking.

As for seasoning, it depends if you want to cook food right away, or are willing to spend a few hours laying down a proper season. Either way is fine, one will give you a better season, though.

For a proper season first, pick an oil (no extra-virgin anything), I'd recommend one with a higher smokepoint, like safflower - an article recommends flaxseed because of science-y reasons but that gets the house super smokey (but gently caress it, everything will get smokey no matter what). Heat your oven to 4350 350F or so and then rub a small amount of oil into your cooled pan, coating it completely, but not leaving any excess oil in there when you're done. Put it in the oven for an hour. Repeat the process three or four (or five) times. Et voila.

For a cooking season, just put oil in the pan and cook poo poo. Over and over.

edit: Proper care required for both.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jan 23, 2015

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Ahaha, my bad Nice catch. 350 to 400F. You can go to 500 or so if you like, but I think that just speeds up the process of polymerization, it doesn't make it 'stronger' (feel free to tell me otherwise).

THe biggest thing it to wipe the coated oil as dry as you can each time in the pan or else it will just make for a tacky surface.

edit: depending on the pans, you may need to strip the factory season off. Factory seasoning can be stripped with warm soapy water and a bristle brush, otherwise you need to bust out steel wool or sandpaper or electrolysis.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jan 23, 2015

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

phthalocyanine posted:

Cast iron is actually terrible at evenly conducting heat. If you've got a range with burners that can get the entire surface, preheating in the oven might not be necessary, but if you've got a piddly gas burner like me, and you need that sucker to be hot all across the surface, preheating it in the oven is the way to go unless you want (or don't care if) the center of whatever you're searing to be much more seared than the edges.
Like all things, there are times to use a cast iron pan, and times where another pan with different thermal properties will be better suited.

When you're doing 'delicate' work with cast iron, pretend it's a flat wok - different areas will have different temperatures. A way to avoid that (to a degree [ho ho ho]) is to either move the pan around the heat source or change the flame ring, on a gas burner, from a larger radius to a smaller one. I can make beautiful eggs, scrambled or omelets or other, on a large cast iron pan, but it's certainly easier to do in a copper or stainless steel one.

Liquid, or moving the food, also helps to stabilize the heat of the food when cooking.

I think for a lot of cooking it's a waste of time to 'preheat' and try to perfectly stabilize a cast iron pan in an oven when you're doing stovetop cooking.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jan 24, 2015

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Lhet posted:

Had my first cast iron accident.

Say gently caress it and just keep cooking. The bits of, at this point basically pure carbon ash, will over time flake off and you'll eat it and rinse it away and it's really not a big deal. You can "officially" reseason it later on when it has cleared itself up a bit.

And I also thought you burned a hole in your pan and were simply the first ever internet goon to be hypobolic.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Feb 8, 2015

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Abundant as in 1/4 cup total, or abundant like you just finished deep frying a turkey? A little grease you should pour it into a container and keep it in the fridge or countertop and scoop the grease out as needed for when you oil up your pan and cook on it.

So long as you don't get past the smoke point of whatever oil or grease you're using it will be mostly down for reuse for a while.

When I cook bacon you can be goddanged sure I'm saving that fat for later.

If you want to throw grease away either pour it into a tin can, cover it/wait for it to solidify and junk it, or put the pan in the fridge for an hour and scoop out the now solid grease into the trash.

Black soot might be normal if it's just the season flaking off, the iron/rust grinding smooth with use, or burned bits of food. It's not bad if you eat that. It's inert.

I'd scrape out the stuff that can be scraped out with minimal effort, and then leave the rest to be removed during cleaning/wipings after use.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Feb 27, 2015

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
When you guys are cookin' your steaks and frying up chicken and whatnot, how do you minimize oil splatter? Or do you just aim the pan away from you and resign yourselves to twenty minutes of wiping down your kitchen stove and countertops, or do you use those mesh splatterguards or whatever?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

tesilential posted:

Yo gently caress that dude throwing shade on cast iron.

Is this a quichefrittata with a crust or a pot pie without its top?

That all looks good, yo.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

w00tmonger posted:

Want to treat my wife to some sort of pot pie or meaty casserole dish. Anyone got a recommendation for a recipe? I have a 12 inch cast iron skillet

I'd make that shepherd's pie because I love potatoes, but this Double Crust Pot Pie from joythebaker.com is really tasty, too. Use her crust and ingredients but the method from serious eats (it's just better formatted) to follow.

I've both blind baked the bottom crust and not, and I really like how firm but gooey the inside is if you don't. I usually don't bother with the cream cheese (but then I also sub out the milk for heavy cream) and I'd recommend using some wine and a little paprika or cayenne in there.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Nettle Soup posted:

Thinking about it, I don't have a clue what I'm going to do with them, they're kinda tiny and I can't think of anything I'd want to cook in them that the stainless steel pans won't do, but oh well!

Chicken pot pies and quiches. Single serving baked desserts like cobblers and poo poo.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Tyson Tomko posted:

Single serving steaks/burgers/meat/etc too.

I'm sorry, but why would anybody ever want to prepare just 4 ounces of steak? Ridiculous. 10 ounces and up or else you're basically eating a bowl of green beans at that point.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Tyson Tomko posted:

I could make the same argument for wanting a bigger pot pie or more cobbler too but it's all relative. MMM, peach cobbler sounds incredible right about now.

I would eat any amount of peach cobbler. Goddamn, it's good stuff.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Paper With Lines posted:

This is going to end in the mother of all Thanksgiving disasters. Exploding turkey fryers ain't got poo poo on funkatron3000.

Thanksgiving: ...so my cat fell into the turkey fryer.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Paper With Lines posted:

holy gently caress, what is going on here?

Some water poured into a pan of burning oil.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Indolent Bastard posted:

Showing you why you never toss water on a grease fire. For some program I'd imagine.

If you don't know, you either use a fire extinguisher or use BAKING SODA (not flour) to smother it.

I would cry for the person who used flour to try and put out a fire. A tear at their funeral.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Paper With Lines posted:

Whatever tv show this is, I want to watch it. It looks like the fire that they start is unstoppable in what looked like a pretty nice kitchen.

According to someone from reddit/imgur, it's a norwegian show called 'Don't Try This At Home'. They've got a special house they ruin with all sorts of experiments, similar to Mythbusters, but slightly more focused.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Obese Janissary posted:

I bought a set of cast irons (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VTOG78/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and they are coming today! They are pre-seasoned, but after reading around a bit I see it's recommended to season them anyways before use.

I've never owned cast irons, and the places I've looked online recommend scouring them with soap and water, this being the first and last time you should do so with the pans... but I'm wondering since they are preseasoned if I should do that?

I'll be breaking in the big one tomorrow with bacon, yesssss.

A lot of (some?) people prefer to scrub off the factory season and build their own; it's not something you should feel a need to do. It'll wear and repair over time with regular use anyway.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Ex did everything in her power to not have to use the skillets. Even though I'd explained to her a bunch of times how to use them. She put a cover when she was making pasta in another pot on my skillet and

No wonder she's my ex :colbert:

To be fair though, unless you let it sit there for days on end, it's an easy wash and wipe to clean things like that. And if you just let it sit there for days on end....

:flashfact:

I have people over who don't like to cook with cast iron pans, so I or they just move them into the oven when they want to cook on the stovetop.

vvv - oof. haha. I'd rather deal with a little bit of scrubbable rust than burnt-on pudding mix in a stainless steel pan. :argh:

:argh:

Drifter fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Mar 30, 2015

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

KingShiro posted:

Walked downstairs this morning, and sitting on the stove was a 12" Lodge :gizz:. My first cast iron pan.

Going to make so many pizzas. It's a huge pan so I'm not sure what else to make in it. Also nice to have something I can put in the oven for once.

A single serving of steak. (land- or water-based)

Pies. Delicious pies. (brownies and cookies and crumbles also count)

Mac & Cheese (the real kind)

Fuckin' Chicken (gently caress yeah)

Fajitas (ˇÓrale, a guevo!)

Jus' a li'l bit of Cornbread

Dutch babies (cheaper to make than to buy one at an orphanage)

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

The Midniter posted:

Also make this bread with all sorts of crazy toppings (not just olives and pistachios). It's DEAD simple and super delicious. Also makes an EXCELLENT cast iron pizza/calzone dough!

W@W L@@K!!

Like I could afford pistachios. :mad:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Steve Yun posted:

Cast iron gets a nice crispy crust again but the toppings don't soften and melt as much as I'd like. I say go with oven.

Cast Iron with a lid on top, cracked for steam, works really well. But I just eat cold pizza because gently caress it why not?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

CrazySalamander posted:

I used one of those tiny cast iron pans they sell with a single serving cookie mix to cook burger patties.

They sell a cast iron pan alongside cookie dough-mix? Really? That's...strange.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I must really be loving up my portion sizes since I usually just use my 12" pan for things.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

doctorfrog posted:

milk sugar in your cornbread.

:smugbert:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Missing Name posted:

OK, besides tomatoes, what do you guys NOT cook in your cast iron skillets?

I cook tomato things in mine and have never noticed any issue with taste or chemical malactivity.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

bombhand posted:

Doesn't the level of seasoning determine how much a tomato-based sauce will affect the pan and vice versa?

Sure. If you're building a season, it won't help. The biggest issue for tomatoes and cast iron is whether or not you can taste a difference at the end of things. If you can't taste a difference, go nuts. if you can, cook with stainless steel or something else. Your pan or its seasoning won't be damaged to any particular degree.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Anyone use one of these cast-iron grill pressses? Find yourself using it much? I have a 8" and 12" skillet

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00063RXNI/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=24Z76Z0M3YHP8&coliid=I16RW1LK5L05XM&psc=1

I wouldn't think 2 pounds would be heavy enough to waste your money. squish things.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I would think investing in one of those presses really only works if you're limited by time, commercially. Or just a wasteful spender.

My bacon stays flat because I cook it at a lower heat - takes maybe four minutes longer. If I need to squish a sandwich or something for a moment I'll use a spatula. I think it serves better as decoration than as an actual tool. I apparently have strong opinions about this for some strange reason. :madmax:

Just use the second cast iron skillet to press down inside the larger one.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 15:38 on May 4, 2015

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Lestion posted:

To those of you who sear steaks on your cast iron: Do you prefer to bake then sear, or sear then bake?

If these are your only two methods, the reverse sear is the scientifically and practically superior method.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Lestion posted:

Steaks motivated me to get into the cast iron game, but I'm still a newbie. My limited research suggests that these 2 methods are the place to start.

Definitely had to google that. Seems cool though.

A sous vide is a more precise (and better hydrated) version of putting it in a low temperatured oven.

The reverse sear is fantastic, it's my preference, but you can always go for a very flipped sear and have it come out great.
http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/07/the-food-lab-flip-your-steaks-and-burgers-multiple-times-for-better-results.html

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Paper With Lines posted:

Fairly obvious that the prompting q was a troll q, imo.

Everyone loves searing/cooking it in the pan. (is this not true?)

Many folks love baking it and then searing it in a pan (mostly true).

Some folks enjoy the sous-vide approach where they wait a few hours and then sear it (IN CAST IRON!! yay)

---

Ultimately, uhm, yay cast iron.

A troll question? Dude was wondering the best/most popular way he should be cooking his steak. It's not a troll.

People gently caress up steaks all the time.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Splish posted:

I have an old rear end pan I got out of my gramps kitchen after he passed...it doesn't have any brand markers on it, but on the bottom it says 11 1/4 inch and there's a 10 on the handle. Any ideas regarding what size lid I might want for it?

Lids fit the skillets. 11 1/4".

measure the diameter of the skillet just to confirm if you're unsure.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Splish posted:

That was what I figured, but it doesn't seem like 11 1/4" lids are available. We'll see if 12" does the trick I suppose.

Most likely. A 12 incher's bottom lip will rest on the top of the pan, so it won't be 'snug', but it'll fit fine.

I have used other similar sized cast iron pans as lids on occasion, too; sometimes I'll invert if I need the overhead clearance. It works very well. I have a Calphalon stainless steel lid from a pan that I use on my large cast iron. Don't you just have another pot lid/pan that comes close to fitting? Use that. It doesn't have to form a perfect seal, just a decent one.

If you decide to buy a lid, make sure the pan handle won't conflict overly much with it making a seal.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Arcsech posted:

Also, I assume I now need to season the site where the handle snapped off to keep it from rusting, right?

Eh, season implies a whole lotta work. At best you'd just have to wipe/spray it with a scoonch of oil every now and again. You're not cooking on that part, so you only need it to be water-free, not non-stick. And remember, you're not exactly seasoning or coating with oil the outside of the pan, and that doesn't rust. Just keep it dry.

If you're super bored you could always drill some small holes near the lip of the broken pan and run heavy wire through it so that you could carry the pan like a picnic basket to help make it less awkward to handle.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Aug 16, 2015

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Crazyeyes posted:

I also wonder this. I have come just short of throwing one of mine off a cliff and haven't even dented it. If you left it out in the yard for a season or two and then smashed it with a sledge you might be able to bust the handle but I can't imagine it happening in normal usage.

I've seen cheap pans break at the handle.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

McSpankWich posted:

So today has been a celebration of this fancy pan all day. This morning I made bacon, and then used the grease to cook some potatoes and onions, grand. Tonight my wife and I cooked two porterhouses, one in the pan and one on the grill to compare/contrast. The grill was your standard "cook over super hot coals for 5 minutes on one side and 4 minutes on the other." I found a fancy recipe online for the pan, so I preheated the the oven to 500 with the pan inside, then put it on the burner on high for 5 minutes. When it was absurdly hot I put the steak on it for 30 seconds on each side, then put the whole thing in the oven for 2 minutes, and then flipped it and left it in for another 2 minutes. After we tested them both we agreed that the cast iron pan won, but just barely. The filet side on the pan porterhouse was insanely good. Yay cast iron! Thanks for the seasoning tips, its back to a beautiful black. I for sure wouldn't cook eggs on it yet, though, needs to be used a bunch more times before it's nonstick.

you could totally cook eggs on it right now. Most people's issues with that is they let it get too hot, and don't have a little butter/oil/fat before adding eggs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
But most importantly, just using and cooking poo poo in it, and then a normal cleaning of it, will also work perfectly.